What exactly was better about NASCAR back in the day, and why was that way better?

You don't see V8 supercars, or any of the touring car series, having a problem doing it. It could be easily done. As far as being stock cars, I'm sure he was talking about the bodies, not the rest of the car. I may not be correct about that, but most people that support that position, are usually talking stock bodies. What was better in the old days? They raced on dirt tracks too. That should be brought back IMO, it sure couldn't hurt.
Do any of those race on high banked ovals every week? Nope. Road racing. Different animal. I have no idea what people want. They just want "different". NASCAR is wrong. Doesn't matter what the rules are. WRONG!!! All these people that are bitching don't present actionable options to current environment.

You don't see V8 supercars, or any of the touring car series, having a problem doing it. It could be easily done.
There is nothing "stock" about V8 Supercars. Handmade race cars built to the rulebook, exactly like Nascar race cars are built to Nascar's rulebook.

There is nothing "stock" about V8 Supercars. Handmade race cars built to the rulebook, exactly like Nascar race cars are built to Nascar's rulebook.
To be clear...i HATE rules that make all the engines fit the same blueprint...same for chassis, shocks, springs, cooling system ducting, radiator size, TAPERED SPACER???, etc. TOO MANY RULES! I however have ZERO issue with headlight and taillight decals. They make zero difference in speed differential of cars. What we lack now is speed differential. 35 cars will be within half second of each other. It's IROC now. I enjoyed IROC but only because they didn't race every week.

I'm still in the target demographic that NASCAR wants, 34 attract. I can say with confidence the sport was better back in the day...

A few things that stand out

- The TV contract the started in 2001 was the single biggest thing that changed the sport. When NASCAR signed it they lost a lot of control of the sport. Like other major sports, the networks really dictate how things are run. Basically every NASCAR race prior to 2001 was run like The Masters golf tournament. Augusta National calls the shots more than CBS. Likewise, prior to the 2001 contract tracks negotiated their own TV deals with either ESPN, TNN, TBS, CBS, ABC, Showtime (Pocono) etc. There was no uniform structure which allowed the races to have their own personality. The old broadcasting teams really helped too. The ESPN trio of Jenkins, Parsons and Jarrett is arguably the greatest broadcasting trio in sports, ever.

- The loss of Winston. Like with the TV deal, when Winston left NASCAR had to sign on the dotted line they lost power. Had they stayed I'm not sure if the chase would have come about. It definitely would have been interesting to see the folks from Winston and Fox/NBC battle it out over the sports future.

- Having multiple track owners, like TV partners, also helped greatly. Like with TV, it allowed more voices at the table which strengthened the sport. Penske, Mattioli, Clay Earles, Bahre, Smith, Dover Motorsports, etc had vested interest in their own facilities and NASCAR. Now SMI and ISC have basically monopolized the sport and it hasn't been for the better.

- The drivers Awesome Bill From Dawsonville, The Intimidator, The Ice Man, The Alabama Gang, Mr. Excitement, The King, Handsome Harry, The Wonder Boy, Swervin Irvan etc. Not mention D.W. Richmond, Martin, Bodine, Rusty, Marlin, You were drawn in by the personalities. These guys were warriors too. They had a WWE, gladiator, super hero type aura about them. The element of danger drew people in if people want to admit it or not. Go watch an older Dover and Rockingham race. I think it was the fall Dover race from '92 when about 9 drivers had to helped from their car. Then there were the post race oxygen masks/ice masks. I couldn't imagine running the Die Hard 500 at Talladega in July. These guys were tough SOB's that almost had a mythical persona. 20+ years ago drivers would race with broken legs, collarbones, wrists, arms, eyes taped open etc. In race driver changes were always interesting.

- The cars. What you drove mattered. Fans back in the day had fierce brand loyalty.

- The Busch Series had its own identity. It made the two series stronger when they had stand alone events. The Cup race on Sunday almost felt like a mini Super Bowl. Busch races were more low key and cost friendly.

- The tracks and fewer races. The tracks had more personality which played better on tv imo. The fewer races also meant increased demand. Going to a race back in the day was like social gathering unlike anything you'd ever seen. It was like people were making a pilgrimage to Mecca to pay homage to their chosen God.

I'm still in the target demographic that NASCAR wants, 34 attract. I can say with confidence the sport was better back in the day...

- The TV contract the started in 2001 was the single biggest thing that changed the sport. When NASCAR signed it they lost a lot of control of the sport. Like other major sports, the networks really dictate how things are run. Basically every NASCAR race prior to 2001 was run like The Masters golf tournament. Augusta National calls the shots more than CBS. Likewise, prior to the 2001 contract tracks negotiated their own TV deals with either ESPN, TNN, TBS, CBS, ABC, Showtime (Pocono) etc. There was no uniform structure which allowed the races to have their own personality. The old broadcasting teams really helped too. The ESPN trio of Jenkins, Parsons and Jarrett is arguably the greatest broadcasting trio in sports, ever.

- The loss of Winston. Like with the TV deal, when Winston left NASCAR had to sign on the dotted line they lost power. Had they stayed I'm not sure if the chase would have come about. It definitely would have been interesting to see the folks from Winston and Fox/NBC battle it out over the sports future.

- Having multiple track owners, like TV partners, also helped greatly. Like with TV, it allowed more voices at the table which strengthened the sport. Penske, Mattioli, Clay Earles, Bahre, Smith, Dover Motorsports, etc had vested interest in their own facilities and NASCAR. Now SMI and ISC have basically monopolized the sport and it hasn't been for the better.

- The drivers Awesome Bill From Dawsonville, The Intimidator, The Ice Man, The Alabama Gang, Mr. Excitement, The King, Handsome Harry, The Wonder Boy, Swervin Irvan etc. Not mention D.W. Richmond, Martin, Bodine, Rusty, Marlin, You were drawn in by the personalities. These guys were warriors too. They had a WWE, gladiator, super hero type aura about them. The element of danger drew people in if people want to admit it or not. Go watch an older Dover and Rockingham race. I think it was the fall Dover race from '92 when about 9 drivers had to helped from their car. Then there were the post race oxygen masks/ice masks. I couldn't imagine running the Die Hard 500 at Talladega in July. These guys were tough SOB's that almost had a mythical persona. 20+ years ago drivers would race with broken legs, collarbones, wrists, arms, eyes taped open etc. In race driver changes were always interesting.

- The cars. What you drove mattered. Fans back in the day had fierce brand loyalty.

- The Busch Series had its own identity. It made the two series stronger when they had stand alone events. The Cup race on Sunday almost felt like a mini Super Bowl. Busch races were more low key and cost friendly.

- The tracks and fewer races. The tracks had more personality which played better on tv imo. The fewer races also meant increased demand. Going to a race back in the day was like social gathering unlike anything you'd ever seen. It was like people were making a pilgrimage to Mecca to pay homage to their chosen God.

Rest assured there will be Brian France Kool Aid drinkers along to tell you how wrong you are and how much better things are today then in years past.

I grew up in 90s, some of us never got to see the old "great days", but what I can tell you, subjectively, is that I think 2000-2006 was the best, most competitive racing I've seen.

Old school NASCAR reminds me of Craft Beers in terms of claimed superiority; Mostly those who drink it, or "experience it" exclusively are part of some brotherhood of "real" beer drinkers, liking and experiencing "real" beer, and NASCAR fans seem similar. The reality of it is though, at the end of the day what matters to an individual is subjective taste. Objective superiority of a different NASCAR era is irrelevant when subjective taste is what dictates how "good" something is to an individual, and we ARE all individuals. Some people never grew up in the 70s, so we have had to enjoy what we have now. There is no need to shame fans who try to find the positives in the sport still. Anyone watching these NBA playoffs? Flopping/traveling, no calls and missed calls and officials admitting mistakes which affect the outcome is MUCH more of a circus than what NASCAR is right now.

In regards to NASCAR, I see lots of personalized comments on facebook that demonstrate a perspective of superiority to other fans of later eras. The sport has changed, and some old school fans seem to have a hard time adjusting. All sports have changed guys, and the world has changed. NASCAR isn't what it was, who cares? If one can't try to find positives in being a fan of a sport that is trying (albiet failing at the moment) to keep up with the times, then how true of a fan can one be?

Do I think the sport was better 10 years ago? Yes
In the 90s? Yes.
Before that? I never saw, so I can't say.
But it doesn't matter, because it's 2017 now. The one constant is that we are all fans, let's celebrate that.

The biggest things I notice are the tires and spoilers. I love the low downforce package. The tires need to wear out faster. I don't really see much to do at the track anymore. They used to set race day up like it was a county fair. There was entertaining stuff to do, and don't forget free cigarettes from Winston!

Well said. Great post.

Back
Top Bottom