What is Erik Jones saying

I'd love to see the dynamic of this board if Chase Elliott was a KBM/Gibbs/Toyota prospect. And Erik Jones drove for JRM and was ear marked for Hendrick.

I get the feeling that the angst would be in different places.

Absolutely.

You are aware that you would be the only one making a big deal out of this, right? He freakin' bumped Buescher on pit road. That's it. Big deal. Hate that a crew member got hurt, but he will be okay. There are other aspects of Erik's character I won't discuss here that sends a big time message about who this kid is. You don't like him. Fine. He isn't trying to befriend you either. I find that refreshing.....but oddly, I like you Taco Time. I am all you need. :partytime
As the kids say, I totally 'ship' these two.

I'd love to see the dynamic of this board if Chase Elliott was a KBM/Gibbs/Toyota prospect. And Erik Jones drove for JRM and was ear marked for Hendrick.

I get the feeling that the angst would be in different places.

Yes and no. I like Chase Elliott but I can definitely see why people are turned off to him. I think Chase Elliott's one of the best drivers ever, in terms of talent, and will win multiple championships --- but there is A LOT of hype behind him.

And it's really unfortunate, because the media hype is unfair to him. It's not who he is. Elliott is a very humble person who owns up to any shortcomings or mistakes he makes, but, at the same time, doesn't take the credit for his success.

Reactions: Pat
Yes and no. I like Chase Elliott but I can definitely see why people are turned off to him. I think Chase Elliott's one of the best drivers ever, in terms of talent, and will win multiple championships --- but there is A LOT of hype behind him.

And it's really unfortunate, because the media hype is unfair to him. It's not who he is. Elliott is a very humble person who owns up to any shortcomings or mistakes he makes, but, at the same time, doesn't take the credit for his success.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I like Chase Elliott a lot. I agree that he's a future Cup champ. I also think Erik Jones has an unbelievable future ahead of him as well.

My point was that the opinions of these two are swayed by who they are afilliated with. Jones drives for Toyota and is a Kyle Busch protege. Therein lies 90% of the hate he gets on this board. Chase on the other hand drove for Junior, and stepped into the 24 car thus inheriting a huge portion of that fanbase.

My point was that the opinions of these two are swayed by who they are afilliated with. Jones drives for Toyota and is a Kyle Busch protege. Therein lies 90% of the hate he gets on this board. Chase on the other hand drove for Junior, and stepped into the 24 car thus inheriting a huge portion of that fanbase.

Yes and no. I think there are some dynamics at play.

I think Chase Elliott was gonna inherit a very very very large fanbase anyway, regardless of what car he drove. He's the son of Bill Elliott, who was the most popular driver in NASCAR for years and years. And the amount of media hype that has surrounded Chase Elliott for the last decade has been unprecedented. There were news articles from prominent racing sites in 2008 about how Chase Elliott was going to be the greatest NASCAR driver ever.

In short, the casual NASCAR fan is most likely to root for Chase Elliott, just as they were rooting for Jeff Gordon 20 years ago or Dale Jr 15 years ago.

A lot of people who are Kyle Busch fans are more likely to follow grassroots racing because of Kyle Busch's heavy participation in Super Late Model racing, whether it be as a driver or owner. They're probably going to root for an Erik Jones regardless of if he races for Toyota or not, just because they've seen his talent on display and have heard of him.

It's gonna be fun to watch this fan rivalry over the next decade or so though. Really reminds me of Gordon fans and Earnhardt fans.

Imo Chase is living to his hype & he has handled it incredibly well. Top 10-15 competitive in his rookie year & top 5 competitive in nearly every race in his sophomore year.

Im sure he'll hit slumps like any other driver but so far so good.

Imo Chase is living to his hype & he has handled it incredibly well. Top 10-15 competitive in his rookie year & top 5 competitive in nearly every race in his sophomore year.

Ultimately, people are turned off by the hype, just as they were turned off to Logano and Larson for the same reasons. It's not fair to Elliott, but it's a reality.

A solid rookie season and a solid sophomore season and you think he's lived up to the hype of being the greatest of all time? That right there is why some people are turned off by him.

Again, it's not Chase Elliott's fault. It's the media and the fanbase's fault. Elliott didn't ask to be called the GOAT in Super Late Models and he doesn't ask for it now.

Ultimately, people are turned off by the hype, just as they were turned off to Logano and Larson for the same reasons. It's not fair to Elliott, but it's a reality.

A solid rookie season and a solid sophomore season and you think he's lived up to the hype of being the greatest of all time? That right there is why some people are turned off by him.

Again, it's not Chase Elliott's fault. It's the media and the fanbase's fault. Elliott didn't ask to be called the GOAT in Super Late Models and he doesn't ask for it now.
There was no hype for Chase to be the new goat in nascar cup series. Its obvious hes got Bill & Gordon fans looking for high expectations. Im apart of several Gordon fan groups on a handful of social media sites & the bulk of their expectations of Chase were "I hope he doesnt wreck every week" and "I hope he can get a win in his first 3 years". Hes got big shoes to fill but any rational fan understood Chase wears different shoes & will have his own career.

There was no hype for Chase to be the new goat in nascar cup series. Its obvious hes got Bill & Gordon fans looking for high expectations. Im apart of several Gordon fan groups on a handful of social media sites & the bulk of their expectations of Chase were "I hope he doesnt wreck every week" and "I hope he can get a win in his first 3 years". Hes got big shoes to fill but any rational fan understood Chase wears different shoes & will have his own career.

There's A LOT of hype behind Chase Elliott from the media and elements of his fanbase, make no mistake about it. Which is unfair because he's a humble dude.

There were articles written in newspapers about how the Daytona 500 was horrible because Chase Elliott didn't win. That's how absurd elements of the media are.

There's A LOT of hype behind Chase Elliott from the media and elements of his fanbase, make no mistake about it. Which is unfair because he's a humble dude.
Media hypes everything, its the best way to get an impression share. Media hype is normally out of touch with reality. You should undertand that as a journalist.

Chase is very humble, as is Blaney, Jones, & Suarez. They are all hyped because they are the new shiny toy. As long as they keep their luster they will be hyped at some level. As much crap you give nascar, you should understand that nascar will feed on any hype it can chew. The sport needs it.

There were articles written in newspapers about how the Daytona 500 was horrible because Chase Elliott didn't win. That's how absurd elements of the media are.
To be fair it was horrible the way he lost it.

I seriously don't remember ever hearing someone say he was going to be the greatest of all time. Sounds a bit exaggerated.

So, the race was horrible, Kurt Busch winning is bad for the sport and the race was a bad day for the sport because Chase Elliott lost? I don't even think Chase Elliott's most die-hard fans can say that.
No, it was a bad day for the sport because Jr. lost. Teacher says, every time Jr. loses, an angel gets his hard card revoked.

So, the race was horrible, Kurt Busch winning is bad for the sport and the race was a bad day for the sport because Chase Elliott lost? I don't even think Chase Elliott's most die-hard fans can say that.
HOLY-HYPERBOLE-BATMAN.jpg

I'll never watch the first plate show of the year from ole toner ever again!

It was horrible the fashion in which he lost the race. Yikes.

I know you journalists are all spin doctors but come on dude.

Chase is very humble, as is Blaney, Jones, & Suarez. They are all hyped because they are the new shiny toy. As long as they keep their luster they will be hyped at some level.

If they are hyped, how do you know what they are like?

I am glad for the young talent coming into NASCAR but I am unaware of a lot of the hype being discussed or whose driver is someone's protege. The last really good group to come in were Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Ryan Newman, Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch as they were good right away and won races quickly.

Larson took a while to do anything of meaning and Elliott needs to win soon to get the monkey off his back. I like Blaney but other than the odd race he is not in the mix to win. I will reserve final judgement on the Toyota rookies but I think Jones could be a good one but the other kid I am not sure about.

Can we just empty the HMS cupboards and start fresh with a Elliott, Larson, Blaney, and Jones foursome? That'll solve our problems.

Did EJ follow the KB line of thinking that his Goodyears didn't hold air?

IMO nobody can tell what these guys are like because the perception is driven by the hype.
Yeah youre right they dont have social media profiles where they actually interact with fans or anything...

Facebook, Twitter, Facebook Live, SnapChat...

Yeah youre right they dont have social media profiles where they actually interact with fans or anything...

Facebook, Twitter, Facebook Live, SnapChat...

So you are going to define a guy by his social media presence. Okay.

IDK anything about Jones other than he is a pimply faced kid that can wheel a car well at certain times in a cup race. I have heard others comment on him negatively concerning his attitude but to the best of my knowledge I haven't heard him speak word one. Until he takes a Lexus prototype and drives it like a mad man on the road, smashes a hand made trophy, intentionally wrecks other drivers multiple times, can't take responsibility for his own deficiencies and in general behaves like a horses ass I will reserve judgement on him.

So you are going to define a guy by his social media presence. Okay.

I would not define a person by social media but I think you can gain some insights used to form an opinion as there is no filters or editing involved so you should be getting a decent look as to how a person is either positively or negatively.

IDK anything about Jones other than he is a pimply faced kid that can wheel a car well at certain times in a cup race. I have heard others comment on him negatively concerning his attitude but to the best of my knowledge I haven't heard him speak word one. Until he takes a Lexus prototype and drives it like a mad man on the road, smashes a hand made trophy, intentionally wrecks other drivers multiple times, can't take responsibility for his own deficiencies and in general behaves like a horses ass I will reserve judgement on him.

Not sure who you are referring to, but I like him! By the way, the LFA was not a prototype--it was in production.

Back
Top Bottom