What should NASCAR do with Qualifying?

I remember going to Daytona one Sunday watching single car qualifying and falling asleep. I think they had about 45 cars and took 2 hours. I have to say I was bored after the initial rush.

There is nothing on earth more dull than qualifying at Daytona and Talladega.

I'll watch. 24 Cars in practice faster than the track record! Whats not to like about that?

I remember going to Daytona one Sunday watching single car qualifying and falling asleep. I think they had about 45 cars and took 2 hours. I have to say I was bored after the initial rush.

To be fair, I think everyone has hated superspeedway qualifying for its whole existence. But nobody seemed to think single car qualifying anywhere was much of an issue in 2013 from what I recall.

Single car qualifying is the only time EVERY team gets a minute of attention

This is actually untrue in my experience for past single car qualifying on tv coverage. Even though a huge improvement from group qualifying in the amount of time car/sponsor/driver has a chance to get focused on, and the vast majority will, they would still often use some of the backmarkers as the commercial break, coming back to 1 of them as they just finished up their run, some would get left out of the coverage some wouldn't. Even going back to knockout qualifying with over 43 car fields on speed channel, they would straight up skip grouped together low budget teams that were locked in earlier in the coverage for a commercial break.

I saw it happen last week during Dega single car runs too. They would come back from commercial and flash their time with their car for a couple seconds, or not at all, and you would just see the driver's name down the board. Granted not a normal single lap qual session with 2 rounds last week, but single car nonetheless, it shows their willingness to gloss over the back of the pack, if not leave them out completely.

Everyone's gonna get TV coverage. Cool deal.

This is a very vague statement by Pockrass and NASCAR that leaves wiggle room for them to weasel. Does that mean they're going to try to miss less cars than they normally do because they scheduled breaks? or are they actually going to give equal time to every single car that goes out? I don't see EVERY car, or equal TV airtime for each car stated in that tweet.
I will believe that one, when I see it, especially on the big tracks like Pocono.

If they do, do that, then good on them. That's how it should be, and it may help some of the underfunded teams with retaining or attracting sponsors.

It just seems a convenience for them on the shorter tracks where they actually need to fill the time with a 36/37 car field, now that they don't have multiple rounds to show off their top dogs.

How long until people complain that single car is boring again because the cars lack power, speed, and are glued to the track? This could be the ultimate "we told you so!" trick by NASCAR. Change it back, wait for the complainers, reverse the change, and never look back again - ultimately getting their way they wanted all along.

Big Yep to this too once we get to a place like Kansas. Enter phase 2 of "The Package" and NASCAR taking forever to see the light.

This was part 1 of a 2 part required undoing of changes.

Okay GREAT NASCAR! that was multiple changes rolled into one. Showed EVERY car that wanted to qualify, less commercials, more time showing cars on track, cars rolling off quickly, driver's making mistakes under pressure. I hope they continue with showing every car, it seems they have finally figured out how to arrange their commercials so we don't miss a thing and all of the cars get equal exposure.

I retire myself to "the package" thread to beg for part 2: the unglooing.

Okay GREAT NASCAR! that was multiple changes rolled into one. Showed EVERY car that wanted to qualify, less commercials, more time showing cars on track, cars rolling off quickly, driver's making mistakes under pressure. I hope they continue with showing every car, it seems they have finally figured out how to arrange their commercials so we don't miss a thing and all of the cars get equal exposure.

I retire myself to "the package" thread to beg for part 2: the unglooing.
Thanks for the review. I was unable to watch.

Single car qualifying doesn't need to be an entertainment event. It is a equal chance for every team to put up a time to set the field; it is a format that takes however long as required to place the field. I think the group qualifying was borrowed from other series to produce an hour long format. When group qualifying started I figured some drivers might interfere with a rival.

I personally think single car qualifying benefits the fans in attendance more than anybody else. . But it was nice to have a qualifying free of anything gimmicky to produce a show or anything of the like.

Single car qualifying doesn't need to be an entertainment event. It is a equal chance for every team to put up a time to set the field; it is a format that takes however long as required to place the field. I think the group qualifying was borrowed from other series to produce an hour long format. When group qualifying started I figured some drivers might interfere with a rival.

Yup.

Especially with Manufacturer Orders and Team Orders really coming to the front -- single car qualifying eliminates a lot of manipulation of results...

Instead of hope to grab a cloud hope to grab a slow poke?

Good to see NASCAR not using the low budget teams for commercials.

Back
Top Bottom