What should NASCAR do with Qualifying?

Preece for instance and Hemric are in the 20 that will draw for spots. Both of those guys it won't hurt to get some air time, Lajoie, Sorenson finished in the top 20 also. Yeah they aren't going to set the world on fire, but recognizing a good finish by guys that don't run up front can't hurt anything, and I can't help but wonder if that will motivate guys to try hard to get into the top 20 for next week's qualifying

It infuriates me that the plethora of media outlets that cover NASCAR and very few talk about the mid-pack guys or backmarkers. They all write the same thing. I've actually had veteran reporters bitch at me when I ask questions about a driver's short track background or something.

Like, uh, "Sorry for wanting to know who these guys are and tell a story." :idunno:

Good decision. Multi-round knockout qualifying itself was not necessarily a bad format, but it is unworkable with the package they are currently using. There is nothing wrong with single car time trials, keep it simple stupid.

I will reserve my snark for anyone who told us that this year's mess was:

a. So entertaining.
b. Helpful because everyone is talking about it.
c. The teams' or drivers' fault.

Knockout qualifying was "entertaining" because it was a trainwreck.

It infuriates me that the plethora of media outlets that cover NASCAR and very few talk about the mid-pack guys or backmarkers. They all write the same thing. I've actually had veteran reporters bitch at me when I ask questions about a driver's short track background or something.

Like, uh, "Sorry for wanting to know who these guys are and tell a story." :idunno:

Guys like Ken Squier wouldn't have a chance now days. The "new" fan is all about negative drama. Lazy.

Guys like Ken Squier wouldn't have a chance now days. The "new" fan is all about negative drama. Lazy.

I think fans, old and new, want to read about the underdogs. My content on Popular Speed, when I wrote for them, was often generating four-times as many clicks as generic content was.

I know I do. There has to be some stories worth telling, besides the few they continue focus on. How can you pull for an underdog unless you know something about them

I hope they follow through with covering all drivers. It sounds like with scheduled breaks they should. It disappointed me when they stopped going through the lineup and mentioning each drivers name and starting position on race day. During qualifying I don't want to hear an interview from the CC of car 52, while car 58 is on the track. GIVE THEM ALL AIR TIME.

One thing I've always liked about single car qualifying, once it became televised, is that every single driver got airtime. You learned something about every driver on the track. Knockout qualifying was just another reason to give the TV networks to just talk about Kyle Busch, the Penske duo, Kevin Harvick, Martin Truex and Chase Elliott.

Hopefully next up, the cars will get a little more parity and we could see someone like a Matt DiBenedetto or Chris Buescher qualify on the pole one race.
I miss hearing about all of the drivers and teams.

F1 started knockout qualifying (more entertaining than the race IMO). Indycar switched to it and it seems to work for them (I think it works better on road courses). NASCAR tried it and the teams found a way to game it to the detriment of the sport (the rule book is written from team exploits).

I'm excited for the trucks.The drivers are less skilled and the ghost car/truck will really be interesting.

tenor.gif

Say what!? This is awesome news! Not gonna lie, this makes me want to start watching NASCAR again! :D

Dover qualifying will be great. Kansas qualifying will be kinda boring watching them wide open with a choked down engine. Oh well, this will be much better than what we have either way.

I’m still confused about when qualifying was supposed to be “a show”. The show was always on Sunday or Saturday night. Quals were always a tease for the weekend and to see how far each team looked.
Qualifying has always been a "show". Thats why we have it. I'll tell ya, it might not resonate with the fans but it keeps our heart rate up.

Good decision. Multi-round knockout qualifying itself was not necessarily a bad format, but it is unworkable with the package they are currently using. There is nothing wrong with single car time trials, keep it simple stupid.

I will reserve my snark for anyone who told us that this year's mess was:

a. So entertaining.
b. Helpful because everyone is talking about it.
c. The teams' or drivers' fault.

Well said....the long National nightmare is over. One less gimmick, hopefully more to follow. Hats off to NASCAR, they made the right decision.

NASCAR making a good change, I am shocked :biggrin:, but I am happy single car runs are coming back( NASCAR did say that would never happen) , I did , or should say, knock out quals did grow on me, and I enjoyed it, i missed the days of old when almost each team got some air time and get to hear some news about that those teams.

NASCAR righting wrongs..... Now, that's a good thing.

I hope that yesterday's announcement is a sign that NASCAR can head back to the right direction. It'll take time to erase the Brian France Era, but it can be done. One chunk at a time. Could the Chase, err playoffs, elimination be another future change? Baby steps but I now have hope that it could be a possibility.

Group qualifying was a joke and I'm happy about going back to single car qualifying, but still wish NASCAR would run heat races instead.

Single-car Qual for starting order.

Pit crew competition for Pit Road Spot choice by Crew Chief.

Heat races have been tried in Xfinity a few years ago and didn't work. Heats will not work unless they send cars home and/or offer bonus points.
....and that's exactly what should happen. The Xfinity heat race experiment was an utter failure because nobody was sent home.

NASCAR reverting back to single car qualifying gives me hope they’ll start thinking about and then make the decision to end the WWE gimmick of their playoff/chase points system and go back to a full season championship where every race was a playoff race.

Back
Top Bottom