When the toy is no longer shiny

It's crazy that people were bitching about the final at Phoenix before the weekend of the semi final was even over. My tickets and hotel are already purchased. I cannot wait! I don't know what the hell everybody who was pissed at Phoenix was watching. I didn't see and/or hear anybody who was dissatisfied at the track.....except for the Chase Elliott fan in front of me who left in disgust.....which I respected. He was there. The disappointment was real. Passion. Good stuff.

I think the exodus of several star drivers over the last few years has maybe fueled some of the decline as well. In the last five seasons we’ve lost Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, and Danica Patrick (scoff at her driving ability if you want, but she was popular). Among the new drivers that have come along since, Chase Elliott is the only one who seems to have resonated with fans on a Gordon/Tony/Jr level.

It doesn't help that when the booth ignores the other 36 cars in favor of the Champ 4. I recall them spending time on only two other drivers, Elliott and Larson. I don't know if that's NBC's exclusive decision or if NASCAR asks them to push it, but those other guys have fans too. Ignore them and their fans will tune out. I don't care where four selected drivers are when they're separated by several seconds each. Quit hyping how a Hamlin or Harvick could get back to the front if some highly unlikely event happens; find some racing in the pack and cover it.

You are so correct.
IMHO, they should,at least, show each car on track that entered the race and tell sponsor name and driver at least once during each and every race. Kind off pisses me off that they don't. Everyone in the event spends big bucks to get in the race.
I am not talking about the race line up just before the start of the race, even then they tell the first 10 or so and then cut to an in car to BS with somebody.

Then you should be elated with NASCAR's numbers....Averaging 3.3 million viewers per race vs. IndyCar 1.29 million. Is WOO even on TV?

So then what Motorsports are you talking about?

It's crazy that people were bitching about the final at Phoenix before the weekend of the semi final was even over. My tickets and hotel are already purchased. I cannot wait! I don't know what the hell everybody who was pissed at Phoenix was watching. I didn't see and/or hear anybody who was dissatisfied at the track.....except for the Chase Elliott fan in front of me who left in disgust.....which I respected. He was there. The disappointment was real. Passion. Good stuff.

I'm happy that you had such a positive experience, and for the sake of the sport, I hope there are a LOT more people like you out there, but you are an anomaly as far as the the people I come into contact with. As for myself, with the exception of the brief stage one battle between Elliott and Hamlin, it took every ounce of strength I had to keep watching that race, and the finale too. I spent the final 2/3rds of Homestead thumbing through a couple of magazines while I watched with one eye.

Not sure this board wants that. :D I love this sport, and it really breaks my heart that so many cannot find what they are looking for.
You shouldn’t care what others on the board want though. At the end of day, who cares? Just do you...if you’re happy with the way things are in the sport and you get satisfaction watching the product isn’t that all that matters???

You shouldn’t care what others on the board want though. At the end of day, who cares? Just do you...if you’re happy with the way things are in the sport and you get satisfaction watching the product isn’t that all that matters???

I don’t and yes.

I'm happy that you had such a positive experience, and for the sake of the sport, I hope there are a LOT more people like you out there, but you are an anomaly as far as the the people I come into contact with. As for myself, with the exception of the brief stage one battle between Elliott and Hamlin, it took every ounce of strength I had to keep watching that race, and the finale too. I spent the final 2/3rds of Homestead thumbing through a couple of magazines while I watched with one eye.
It appeared to me that I had about 45k looking pretty happy that Sunday.....Must have been the dry heat.

Full chart for the season in here. Most notable is that there is still no "playoff bump" no matter how much NASCAR wants to try, other than the fact that Homestead might get more eyeballs than it otherwise would as it was the most-watched race since the Coke 600 in May. Other than that, it seems like the "base" of 2-3M people depending upon day and network are the same ones watching each week still, with some more eyeballs tuning in for the marquee events like Talladega and the usual Daytona 500 carryover that lasts a few races.

Full chart for the season in here. Most notable is that there is still no "playoff bump" no matter how much NASCAR wants to try, other than the fact that Homestead might get more eyeballs than it otherwise would as it was the most-watched race since the Coke 600 in May. Other than that, it seems like the "base" of 2-3M people depending upon day and network are the same ones watching each week still, with some more eyeballs tuning in for the marquee events like Talladega and the usual Daytona 500 carryover that lasts a few races.

You gotta wonder if NASCAR even cares anymore. It sure doesn’t seem like it.

But there are those will tell us everything is GREAT

But there are those will tell us everything is GREAT

And those who only read the headlines. ;) from the same article. I know it pains Paulsen to say anything good about Nascar racing, and drama sells, so he hides positive information down at the bottom of his column. Probably most around here either don't have the bandwidth, or didn't have the time or interest to watch Phelps's address, but stick n ball is down 9% but you will never hear Paulsen say anything about that fact or the fact that Nascar finished up for the season while TV watching numbers are in decline.

It was nonetheless a encouraging year for NASCAR, which saw increases for 14 Cup Series races — the most in a single year since 2013. Only four races increased all of last season.

Even with the low numbers, Homestead ranks as the highest rated and most-watched Cup Series telecast since Charlotte on FOX in May (2.6, 4.26M).

This should be ringing alarm bells over at the International Motorsports Center. The fact was that this format was designed to increase ratings for the final race, when in reality, it seems to have done the opposite.
The report is obviously flawed. Everything nascar has done has done has been received with open arms. Everyone is happy and thrilled with the state it is currently in.

And those who only read the headlines. ;) from the same article. I know it pains Paulsen to say anything good about Nascar racing, and drama sells, so he hides positive information down at the bottom of his column. Probably most around here either don't have the bandwidth, or didn't have the time or interest to watch Phelps's address, but stick n ball is down 9% but you will never hear Paulsen say anything about that fact or the fact that Nascar finished up for the season while TV watching numbers are in decline.

It was nonetheless a encouraging year for NASCAR, which saw increases for 14 Cup Series races — the most in a single year since 2013. Only four races increased all of last season.

Even with the low numbers, Homestead ranks as the highest rated and most-watched Cup Series telecast since Charlotte on FOX in May (2.6, 4.26M).
So how am I supposed to view this as a positive in NASCAR’s bubble, because at this juncture in the convo stick and ball sports are irrelevant to me.

Fox was up 2% I believe and NBC broke even. Writers get paid to try to create drama, and some fall for it every time, they need those people they feed off of each other. I agree the sport needs a big talking brash youngster who can run with the best of them, one of the reasons I like Chastain. He doesn't care who he pisses off he is going to try to get to the front.
Halie Deegan to the 48.

Probably most around here either don't have the bandwidth, or didn't have the time or interest to watch Phelps's address, but stick n ball is down 9% but you will never hear Paulsen say anything about that fact or the fact that Nascar finished up for the season while TV watching numbers are in decline.
Has there been anything substantive to support this other than Steve Phelps said so? Most publicly-available information suggests most major sports are or have been up or flat, other than the NBA - who had a down 2018-2019 season and is also currently down 18% in the young 2019-2020 season.

Back
Top Bottom