why are we running the IROC package at darlington?

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
it looks like we are running the 550 hp engine and rules for this weekends race. I think that is a big mistake for darlington. Its a track that has always put on a great race. It races lots better with cars that have lots of power to get to the ground. The Iroc package works best at tracks that had the worst racing. on the flip side tracks that had great racing this package is bad at.

it looks like we are running the 550 hp engine and rules for this weekends race. I think that is a big mistake for darlington. Its a track that has always put on a great race. It races lots better with cars that have lots of power to get to the ground. The Iroc package works best at tracks that had the worst racing. on the flip side tracks that had great racing this package is bad at.
In 54 hours, feel free to say "I told you so!". In 54 hours.

Two cars in the wall in final practice. Two more with flats, possibly drivers getting their knuckles rapped for not respecting The Lady's sandpaper skirts. Sounds like Darlington to me.

I am not sure if the IROC series ever raced at Darlington. I was going to research it but I got exhausted or worn out while reviewing the 3rd season. I was risking an awful posting finger blister and I had to DNF.

I am pretty sure that the I phone people wanted the IROC name tag and eventually confiscated it for a music app.

https://www.racing-reference.info/iroc.htm

Last edited:
I love flat footing one and two at Darlington. You don't?

why did nascar come out with the high drag low hp package, AKA I call it the IROC package because those cars had similar power levels. So why did they? answer, to promote drafting and suck up at larger race tracks. Darlington drives more like a short track than a big track, drafting has never and never will be a thing at darlington, the track is smaller than a 1.5 mile track.

I am not sure if the IROC series ever raced at Darlington. I was going to research it but I got exhausted or worn out while reviewing the 3rd season. I was risking an awful posting finger blister and I had to DNF.

I am pretty sure that the I phone people wanted the IROC name tag and eventually confiscated it for a music app.

Yes, 1995, Mark Martin won .

I rest my case!! but wait the NXS cars might be faster, on edit an a fast NXS car would run about 20th in cup practice
During the Mesozoic era, the early 80’s, NASCAR killed a nation-wide group of 5 or so “Tours” effectively forcing hundreds of people to look elsewhere for their racing fix.

Faster than the Cup cars everywhere they ran companion events.

During the Mesozoic era, the early 80’s, NASCAR killed a nation-wide group of 5 or so “Tours” effectively forcing hundreds of people to look elsewhere for their racing fix.

Faster than the Cup cars everywhere they ran companion events.

I miss the old Busch Grand National series in the 80s the V6 years included. Jack Ingram, Sam Ard and others it was the Golden era in my world.

I miss the old Busch Grand National series in the 80s the V6 years included. Jack Ingram, Sam Ard and others it was the Golden era in my world.
Sportsman.

Out here, they were replaced by the Northwest Tour. Shorter, lighter, lower C of G, coil-over suspension, rack and pinion steering, quick-change rear gear, roller cam and sometimes the bottle. Joking, of course.

Their speed was their demise.

Speed and racing at night has been what ruined Darlington. The races were MUCH better there when the cars were in the 160 MPH range and the track was hot and slick. Slowing the cars down should really help the actual racing.

We'll see how those flooring it at that end of the track are doing around lap 50, with 30 left to go before pitting.

Honestly, I don't know what tire they are running but I would expect the hardest tire in all of motorsports based on Goodyears track record.

Left hand tire changes don't equate to a whole lot of fall-off

Honestly, I don't know what tire they are running but I would expect the hardest tire in all of motorsports based on Goodyears track record.

Left hand tire changes don't equate to a whole lot of fall-off
same tire they ran at Chicago

Why are we judging the package here when they haven't raced yet?
This.

Honestly, it looks racey so far. Its going to be like any other Darlington race with a lot of comers and goers. The crazy part is the mid-corner speed is still pretty high, which is probably why Stenhouse and Larson had tire issues during practice. Also mix in different tire pressures and how much camber cars are running this weekend.
Speed and racing at night has been what ruined Darlington. The races were MUCH better there when the cars were in the 160 MPH range and the track was hot and slick. Slowing the cars down should really help the actual racing.

This is why the spring race should be placed back on the schedule.

This.

Honestly, it looks racey so far. Its going to be like any other Darlington race with a lot of comers and goers. The crazy part is the mid-corner speed is still pretty high, which is probably why Stenhouse and Larson had tire issues during practice. Also mix in different tire pressures and how much camber cars are running this weekend.

This is why the spring race should be placed back on the schedule.
I posted a pic of Stenhouse's left front when he was on the track. I swear they were almost running them flat and they weren't the only team doing that.

I laugh every time one of them uses IROC like it was something that should be avoided. Darlington bad ass car of Stewart's. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Gen 7 car is modeled similar to this.

tonyirocwin.jpg

I posted a pic of Stenhouse's left front when he was on the track. I swear they were almost running them flat and they weren't the only team doing that.
13 psi was the minimum for the weekend with the left front, I wonder of Roush tried a bit less than that?

Would going any lower than the recommended minimum make any difference in performance?

13 psi was the minimum for the weekend with the left front, I wonder of Roush tried a bit less than that?

Would going any lower than the recommended minimum make any difference in performance?
well yeah it does to a point of dimishing returns. LF looks pretty low, back isn't far behind

ricky-stenhouse-jr-roush-fenwa.jpg

In the long run, definitely. The Lady will shred those low pressure tires.

Back
Top Bottom