William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR

Sour grapes and they’re getting old.

Stay on the lead lap with the leader in sight … anything can happen and usually does. There are no style points for “winning on speed.”
Exactly and I think one of the attributes of a great driver is winning the races you are not supposed to win, or when you are not the fastest.

GOAT conversations are fun and can be informative. But it is still very subjective, it is hard to even agree on the standards or measurements. At the best it is in the eye of the beholder.
I would just say Byron is one of the current best.

Prisoners of the moment.

Byron's ceiling is a championship and 45 races in his career. Future HOFer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Prisoners of the moment
Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

1) Someone who thinks recent results will lead to the same results in the long term.
2) Someone who is focusing on something that just happened rather than the big picture.

3) Someone who's focus is narrow, focusing on the short term rather than the long term.
4) Often used as another term for "Recency bias".
Billy complained that his favorite sports team's season was over after they lost a game several weeks ago, but he was just a prisoner of the moment because they actually ended up winning the Championship.

Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

1) Someone who thinks recent results will lead to the same results in the long term.
2) Someone who is focusing on something that just happened rather than the big picture.

3) Someone who's focus is narrow, focusing on the short term rather than the long term.
Billy complained that his favorite sports team's season was over after they lost a game several weeks ago, but he was just a prisoner of the moment because they actually ended up winning the Championship.

it changes week to week. Be ready for I told ya so if Larson wins soon. Knew it all along.

All of these greatest proclamations, especially so early in someone's career are just pointless and stupid. Willy B. Might become a seven time champion, he might never win another race. We won't know until it happens, and even well after the fact it's mostly pointless. Look at our three seven time champions. They all competed and were in their prime in such completely different eras, that comparisons become nothing but silliness. It's as pointless as trying to compare baseball stars that played before integration. If you weren't playing against ALL of the great players, how good were you really?

All of these greatest proclamations, especially so early in someone's career are just pointless and stupid. Willy B. Might become a seven time champion, he might never win another race. We won't know until it happens, and even well after the fact it's mostly pointless. Look at our three seven time champions. They all competed and were in their prime in such completely different eras, that comparisons become nothing but silliness. It's as pointless as trying to compare baseball stars that played before integration. If you weren't playing against ALL of the great players, how good were you really?
Just like MJ and LeBron. Regardless, Sr will ALWAYS be MY goat. Just as much for what he did for the sport off the racetrack as on, and for his unparalleled influence etc. But I'm sure a lot of others feel that way about JJ etc. It is always subjective.

Just like MJ and LeBron. Regardless, Sr will ALWAYS be MY goat. Just as much for what he did for the sport off the racetrack as on, and for his unparalleled influence etc. But I'm sure a lot of others feel that way about JJ etc. It is always subjective.
I think you could say very much the same thing about Richard Petty, but I know what you are saying. JJ has obviously had the LEAST influence outside of just driving the car, although some would contend he was the most talented. As far MJ vs LaBron, I'll always be an MJ guy because in my opinion he had a drive, a burning desire that I honestly never saw in LaBron. It also doesn't help that MJ was spectacular, and nobody in my opinion ever made greatness look as boring as LaBron does.

I think you could say very much the same thing about Richard Petty, but I know what you are saying. JJ has obviously had the LEAST influence outside of just driving the car, although some would contend he was the most talented. As far MJ vs LaBron, I'll always be an MJ guy because in my opinion he had a drive, a burning desire that I honestly never saw in LaBron. It also doesn't help that MJ was spectacular, and nobody in my opinion ever made greatness look as boring as LaBron does.
Yea. I just used JJ because most people here probably watched him race but not Richard much

Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

What I said absolutely applies. Disagree, that's fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have no idea where William will shake out long term, BUT, I think you have no choice to but to accept different levels of greatness in the era of playoffs and the Gen 7 car. Twenty years from now, 30 wins and two titles might look like Jeff Gordon and David Pearson numbers. Once Denny and KB retire, you can almost throw a blanket over the rest of the group. I think the days of sustained dominance are long gone.

I have no idea where William will shake out long term, BUT, I think you have no choice to but to accept different levels of greatness in the era of playoffs and the Gen 7 car. Twenty years from now, 30 wins and two titles might look like Jeff Gordon and David Pearson numbers. Once Denny and KB retire, you can almost throw a blanket over the rest of the group. I think the days of sustained dominance are long gone.
You could be right. The cars are so much more equal in performance compared to the days when drivers like Dale Sr and Richard Petty dominated. It is very hard to get much of an advantage with all of the stricter rules and more sophisticated tech procedures, and better parts that have more longevity. All of this makes for a much more level playing field and closer racing.

Back
Top Bottom