William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR

Sour grapes and they’re getting old.

Stay on the lead lap with the leader in sight … anything can happen and usually does. There are no style points for “winning on speed.”
Exactly and I think one of the attributes of a great driver is winning the races you are not supposed to win, or when you are not the fastest.

GOAT conversations are fun and can be informative. But it is still very subjective, it is hard to even agree on the standards or measurements. At the best it is in the eye of the beholder.
I would just say Byron is one of the current best.

Prisoners of the moment.

Byron's ceiling is a championship and 45 races in his career. Future HOFer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Prisoners of the moment
Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

1) Someone who thinks recent results will lead to the same results in the long term.
2) Someone who is focusing on something that just happened rather than the big picture.

3) Someone who's focus is narrow, focusing on the short term rather than the long term.
4) Often used as another term for "Recency bias".
Billy complained that his favorite sports team's season was over after they lost a game several weeks ago, but he was just a prisoner of the moment because they actually ended up winning the Championship.

Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

1) Someone who thinks recent results will lead to the same results in the long term.
2) Someone who is focusing on something that just happened rather than the big picture.

3) Someone who's focus is narrow, focusing on the short term rather than the long term.
Billy complained that his favorite sports team's season was over after they lost a game several weeks ago, but he was just a prisoner of the moment because they actually ended up winning the Championship.

it changes week to week. Be ready for I told ya so if Larson wins soon. Knew it all along.

All of these greatest proclamations, especially so early in someone's career are just pointless and stupid. Willy B. Might become a seven time champion, he might never win another race. We won't know until it happens, and even well after the fact it's mostly pointless. Look at our three seven time champions. They all competed and were in their prime in such completely different eras, that comparisons become nothing but silliness. It's as pointless as trying to compare baseball stars that played before integration. If you weren't playing against ALL of the great players, how good were you really?

All of these greatest proclamations, especially so early in someone's career are just pointless and stupid. Willy B. Might become a seven time champion, he might never win another race. We won't know until it happens, and even well after the fact it's mostly pointless. Look at our three seven time champions. They all competed and were in their prime in such completely different eras, that comparisons become nothing but silliness. It's as pointless as trying to compare baseball stars that played before integration. If you weren't playing against ALL of the great players, how good were you really?
Just like MJ and LeBron. Regardless, Sr will ALWAYS be MY goat. Just as much for what he did for the sport off the racetrack as on, and for his unparalleled influence etc. But I'm sure a lot of others feel that way about JJ etc. It is always subjective.

Just like MJ and LeBron. Regardless, Sr will ALWAYS be MY goat. Just as much for what he did for the sport off the racetrack as on, and for his unparalleled influence etc. But I'm sure a lot of others feel that way about JJ etc. It is always subjective.
I think you could say very much the same thing about Richard Petty, but I know what you are saying. JJ has obviously had the LEAST influence outside of just driving the car, although some would contend he was the most talented. As far MJ vs LaBron, I'll always be an MJ guy because in my opinion he had a drive, a burning desire that I honestly never saw in LaBron. It also doesn't help that MJ was spectacular, and nobody in my opinion ever made greatness look as boring as LaBron does.

I think you could say very much the same thing about Richard Petty, but I know what you are saying. JJ has obviously had the LEAST influence outside of just driving the car, although some would contend he was the most talented. As far MJ vs LaBron, I'll always be an MJ guy because in my opinion he had a drive, a burning desire that I honestly never saw in LaBron. It also doesn't help that MJ was spectacular, and nobody in my opinion ever made greatness look as boring as LaBron does.
Yea. I just used JJ because most people here probably watched him race but not Richard much

Check the mirror.

prisoner of the moment

What I said absolutely applies. Disagree, that's fine.

I have no idea where William will shake out long term, BUT, I think you have no choice to but to accept different levels of greatness in the era of playoffs and the Gen 7 car. Twenty years from now, 30 wins and two titles might look like Jeff Gordon and David Pearson numbers. Once Denny and KB retire, you can almost throw a blanket over the rest of the group. I think the days of sustained dominance are long gone.

I have no idea where William will shake out long term, BUT, I think you have no choice to but to accept different levels of greatness in the era of playoffs and the Gen 7 car. Twenty years from now, 30 wins and two titles might look like Jeff Gordon and David Pearson numbers. Once Denny and KB retire, you can almost throw a blanket over the rest of the group. I think the days of sustained dominance are long gone.
You could be right. The cars are so much more equal in performance compared to the days when drivers like Dale Sr and Richard Petty dominated. It is very hard to get much of an advantage with all of the stricter rules and more sophisticated tech procedures, and better parts that have more longevity. All of this makes for a much more level playing field and closer racing.

2 of his teammates have championships, and won them against him lol

Let's see him win 2-3 championships first before crowning him the next GOAT.

Hell, let's see him win A championship and another 15-20 races with a bit less luck before comparing him to the sport's GOATs.

******** are you guys reactionary.

Hell, let's see him win A championship and another 15-20 races with a bit less luck before comparing him to the sport's GOATs.

******** are you guys reactionary.

The talent is obvious. The championships are coming. I'll bookmark this post

The talent is obvious. The championships are coming. I'll bookmark this post
You go right ahead and do that.

Until then, I'll continue to assert that suggesting a championship-less driver, who won 9 races in a 2 season span for the first time in his career, (a feat many champions and non champions alike have accomplished), is a hot take.

Byron is great, and will probably win a championship. But these GOAT comparisons, and best in the sport are ridiculous. No one called Carl Edwards the next GOAT after winning 12 races in a 2 season span.

If we want to compare him to greats like Kenserh, Keselowski, Truex, I'm all for that.

Winning 2-3 championships under this playoff format is harder to do than any championship format in the history of motorsports. In fact, has anyone won three championships since this abomination was introduced?

I've said it before and I'll die in this grave, I legitimately think win totals carry more credibility than championships in the current generation of NASCAR racing.

Kevin Harvick should have 3-4 championships and only has one. Denny Hamlin doesn't have a championship. Kyle Busch only has two championships, and one of those is considered the most illegitimate championship in history. Martin Truex, Jr. could only get one. Joey Logano only has two, and the second one was kind of fluky. And, honestly, Jeff Gordon should be in the same conversation as Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, and isn't because he only won four championships and should have seven to his record.

Meanwhile, 12-seed Ryan Blaney wins the championship last year.

Winning 2-3 championships under this playoff format is harder to do than any championship format in the history of motorsports. In fact, has anyone won three championships since this abomination was introduced?

I've said it before and I'll die in this grave, I legitimately think win totals carry more credibility than championships in the current generation of NASCAR racing.

Kevin Harvick should have 3-4 championships and only has one. Denny Hamlin doesn't have a championship. Kyle Busch only has two championships, and one of those is considered the most illegitimate championship in history. Martin Truex, Jr. could only get one. Joey Logano only has two, and the second one was kind of fluky. And, honestly, Jeff Gordon should be in the same conversation as Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, and isn't because he only won four championships and should have seven to his record.

Meanwhile, 12-seed Ryan Blaney wins the championship last year.
Only two drivers have multiple, Kyle Busch & Joey Logano each with a couple. There is too much parity for a dynasty to happen. Byron has plenty of time to win a few championships though. I think he's the best Hendrick driver without a doubt.

Only two drivers have multiple, Kyle Busch & Joey Logano each with a couple. There is too much parity for a dynasty to happen. Byron has plenty of time to win a few championships though. I think he's the best Hendrick driver without a doubt.

There was plenty of parity during the Darth Dynasty. In fact, his reign of terror is why we have this crap. NASCAR tweaked the Chase basically every year once we were a couple years into Super Jimmie's reign of terror. Then, after he won his sixth, they brought on the playoffs which everyone thought were Jimmie-proof. Then, after he won his seventh, they overhauled the playoff format again. And it hasn't been tweaked since.

I don't think it is wise to leave out Larson. Larson and Byron are the two best Hendrick drivers and even with this playoff system the way it is, it will be hard to keep them out of the final four. The roll the dice final race is anybodies horse race. Blaney proved that.

I don't think it is wise to leave out Larson. Larson and Byron are the two best Hendrick drivers and even with this playoff system the way it is, it will be hard to keep them out of the final four. The roll the dice final race is anybodies horse race. Blaney proved that.
I will have to run those ideas on my simulator and get back with you on my algorithmic thoughts.

This is my favorite thread on this site. :D

Especially since I was honestly concerned his place at HMS was in jeopardy just a few years ago. Even Bowman was outrunning him.

This is my favorite thread on this site. :D

Especially since I was honestly concerned his place at HMS was in jeopardy just a few years ago. Even Bowman was outrunning him.
That was before Bowman ended up with a crew chief with little experience. I think Byron and Rudy are really working well together and the great results are showing it. I don't know what's going on in the 48 camp. I don't know how much is the car or did Bowman's sprint car crash get in his head a little. But I hope they figure it out pretty soon because the 48 team is definitely struggling.

The way that Byron sneaks up and seems to catch everyone off guard with a lot of his wins is impressive.

Most all drivers will lose races that most thought they were suppose to win. The ability to win races that people didn't think you were suppose to win is something that is usually left for the elites.
It isn't always about being the most dominate, some just are ready for the right opportunity and seize the moment.

I don't know who first said "preparation meets opportunity" but it is so true. Nothing is guaranteed but you must be ready to answer the call when it happens.
That is often true in racing and even in life itself.

That was before Bowman ended up with a crew chief with little experience. I think Byron and Rudy are really working well together and the great results are showing it. I don't know what's going on in the 48 camp. I don't know how much is the car or did Bowman's sprint car crash get in his head a little. But I hope they figure it out pretty soon because the 48 team is definitely struggling.
I think it is coming together now, they seem to be getting a little stronger each week.
I am expecting at least one win from them this year maybe more.

Between Larson and Byron, they will lock out the sport for a while. Chase Elliot got stunned lock ever since Byron got into his groove and Larson came in. Good thing he got his championships early because Larson and Byron are the clear leaders of HMS.
Today’s results in the race are actually how the Hendrick drivers stack up in my opinion. Byron is just as talented as Larson without the bad luck/mistakes, so he ranks 1, Larson just behind, and Elliott slightly behind Larson… then Bowman is WAY behind.

Back
Top Bottom