William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR

It's looking like Byron's year, it's already his best year in cup so far. Unless the wheels fall off or Nascar finds a hundred ways to penalize the team, he is dead nutz in the playoff final four.

It's looking like Byron's year, it's already his best year in cup so far. Unless the wheels fall off or Nascar finds a hundred ways to penalize the team, he is dead nutz in the playoff final four.
He's just one "innovation" from this season being a scrub. Shame if that happens because you know it's not his fault.

At this point, you have to now say that William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR.

Unfortunately, his success is going to accelerate virtual reality replacing grassroots racing.

Luckiest.

This is unprecidented luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

At this point, you have to now say that William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR.

Unfortunately, his success is going to accelerate virtual reality replacing grassroots racing.

I don’t know, I’d have to assume that you learn more and gain more knowledge actually being out on the actual track as opposed to sitting at your house playing iracing.

I don’t know, I’d have to assume that you learn more and gain more knowledge actually being out on the actual track as opposed to sitting at your house playing iracing.
You would be correct.

Andy puts the cart in front of the horse. Iracing doesn’t have a concussion protocol.

Iracing is a valuable tool, when you accept it’s that. Iracing people genuinely believe it’s a replacement and think they’re professional racers. And with a younger generation coming in, there’s a growing belief that iracing > real world experience. Which Byron’s success amplifies in spite of the fact that he ran legends and late models for years.

As I’ve said, Byron isn’t great because he grew up on iracing. The talent he has, you either have it or you don’t.

Hell he might be the guy to get both #300 AND #400 for them (not saying he will win 100 races because even JJ couldn't, but he has his wing man Larson to help him with the in-between). I always told me family etc he was the guy since his first truck starts, of course no one believed me. Now they all say how good he is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hell he might be the guy to get both #300 AND #400 for them (not saying he will win 100 races because even JJ couldn't, but he has his wing man Larson to help him with the in-between). I always told me family etc he was the guy since his first truck starts, of course no one believed me. Now they all say how good he is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
He also has another cup champion teammate in Chase Elliott.

Calling Byron the best in the sport has to be the biggest prisoner of the moment take ever on this board.

He also has another cup champion teammate in Chase Elliott.

Calling Byron the best in the sport has to be the biggest prisoner of the moment take ever on this board.

Except I've said it for about 8 years.

Never mind, let the wind bag blow lol. Byron is damn good and he keeps getting better.
I always said it and he just needed time to adjust. Way before he even made it to Cup. I'm pretty sure Jeff Gordon of all people agreed even giving him the 24, but yes it's definitely a **** take, huh?

Best driver currently? You could fairly pose that argument. Best driver of this generation? Let’s wait and see. He’s got two Cup champion team-mates. Besides them and the rest of his generation, there’s a few more guys with a Cup title or more to their names. Odd season as far as how he’s come up on six wins goes, but he’s proven himself as far as I’m concerned.

Frankly, I’m hoping Bowman will spring some surprises next year and enter the conversation. [Hendrick driver] is the best driver in NASCAR.

I always said it and he just needed time to adjust. Way before he even made it to Cup. I'm pretty sure Jeff Gordon of all people agreed even giving him the 24, but yes it's definitely a **** take, huh?
The kid has ice water in his veins. He and Rudy make a hell of a team. Hendrick didn't pick both of them by accident.

The kid has ice water in his veins. He and Rudy make a hell of a team. Hendrick didn't pick both of them by accident.
I was happy as hell when that was announced. I always thought Knaus was always meant to give him some guidance as a youngster and never rather meant for them to win together.

Best driver currently? You could fairly pose that argument. Best driver of this generation? Let’s wait and see. He’s got two Cup champion team-mates. Besides them and the rest of his generation, there’s a few more guys with a Cup title or more to their names. Odd season as far as how he’s come up on six wins goes, but he’s proven himself as far as I’m concerned.

Frankly, I’m hoping Bowman will spring some surprises next year and enter the conversation. [Hendrick driver] is the best driver in NASCAR.
I’ve not necessarily said he IS, I’ve just always adamantly believed in his potential and that he will be. Hes just finally starting to prove it. I agree with we will see. But I assure you we WILL see

Also I saw a few others mention how consistency, comparing him to Mark Martin etc.

Tbh what stood out to me as he was moving up the ranks wasn’t necessarily his consistency which was great, but rather his consistency UNDER PRESSURE.
The best example of that, and maybe the best example of that I have ever seen (he didn’t have the best car that day), was the Xfinity championship race at Homestead. That’s one of the races that really made me a fan.

It’s odd but no way it happens THAT many times on luck. No one else can put their car in that position and capitalize quite like that, which adds to the consistent under pressure thing I mentioned above.

Honestly Bowman could win the next 25 races in a row and will never be mistaken as being better than Byron or Larson.

He was never meant to be, and that’s not a knock on him. Those guys were brought in more for their upside, which no one ever thought Bowman had as much of, he was always more of just a good consistent driver who works hard and keeps the car clean etc.

And that’s definitely not a knock on Bowman as much as a testament to just how damn good the entire HMS roster is including Alex.

Honestly Bowman could win the next 25 races in a row and will never be mistaken as being better than Byron or Larson.

If Bowman won the next 25 races in a row, I would 10000% seriously consider him the best in the sport. That kind of consistency, across all those track types, would be remarkable.

It's absolutely a **** take.

You don’t win 6 races in a season and it be blind luck. That’s finishing 5th when you have a 5th place car and not overdriving it, and capitalizing on others mistakes as he did yesterday. I’m not a Byron fan by any stretch but the kid is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, he has the fifth-best qualifying average and has led the second-most laps, so it’s not like he has no speed. You don’t put yourself into position on a consistent basis without speed. He’s much less error-prone than most everyone else and takes advantage when opportunities present themselves.

Yep, he has the fifth-best qualifying average and has led the second-most laps, so it’s not like he has no speed. You don’t put yourself into position on a consistent basis without speed. He’s much less error-prone than most everyone else and takes advantage when opportunities present themselves.
Byron was never like this until this season, and he's only won on speed twice this year.

If this was something he did every year, then okay.

But this is a breakout year for him. It's the closest he's ever looked to being championship caliber, and even still, as a top 4 car in the series, a lot of his wins were at the missfortune of others.

I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that this is just a lucky breakout year/prime year for him, opposed to him being the best in the sport.

Until he wins a championship and puts up dominant win totals, top 5s and top 10s over a multi year stretch, he's still the 3rd best driver at HMS.

He's probably asserted himself as a bonafide top 7 guy at worse at this point, but best in the sport is downright silly. This is no different than 2003 Newman, 2005 Biffle, 2006 Kahne, imo.

Byron was never like this until this season, and he's only won on speed twice this year.

But this is a breakout year for him. It's the closest he's ever looked to being championship caliber, and even still, as a top 4 car in the series, a lot of his wins were at the missfortune of others.

I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that this is just a lucky breakout year/prime year for him, opposed to him being the best in the sport.

Until he wins a championship and puts up dominant win totals, top 5s and top 10s over a multi year stretch, he's still the 3rd best driver at HMS.

He's probably asserted himself as a bonafide top 7 guy at worse at this point, but best in the sport is downright silly. This is no different than 2003 Newman, 2005 Biffle, 2006 Kahne, imo.

See post 272.

Byron is without a doubt the best driver in NASCAR currently, when you factor production & age. Driving Hendrick equipment certainly doesn't hurt. We could be seeing the start of a dynasty, 6 wins with 6 races remaining. He's there when it matters, & that's a very important skill.

I’m not saying he’s the best driver in NASCAR outright. There are too many variables to make that call in this sport, imo.

But season six, age 25 is not an abnormal breakout year. The sixth year was about when Logano popped (at age 24), for Larson it was the fourth season (24), Elliott won the title in year 5 at age 24. It’s not weird that he’s only won a race or two in the previous couple seasons and it’s now starting to come together. Realistically, he’s not yet in his prime.

William Byron reminds me of Jimmie Johnson and Scott Dixon.

He's never flashy or exciting, he's just there, always in the picture, and always pulling wins out of his ass. He's not exactly an exciting personality either. He's just a near robotic, near flawless racecar driver and that's it.

Sour grapes and they’re getting old.

Stay on the lead lap with the leader in sight … anything can happen and usually does. There are no style points for “winning on speed.”

William Byron reminds me a lot of Tony Stewart 2008ish-2013. Tony was no longer dominating races but could keep a car up front and get up there for the win when it counted. Almost all of Tony's wins the last third of his career he led about a quarter of the race or less.

Back
Top Bottom