WNBA

I've watched enough Sky games to know that Cardoso is Paul Menard with the facial expressions, LOL. She almost always has that "ehh" look on her face, unless she's laughing. :lol2:

On a more serious note, she's been steadily improving at finishing inside, which will obviously be crucial for her and the team moving forward. Her teammates could probably do a better job of getting the ball in to her at times.

One of the commentators suggested on one such recent failed pass attempt that her positioning needed to be better. I'm not a coach or analyst who understands the game on a deep enough level to know for sure. Sometimes it feels like they just fling it up there or beam it in to her in traffic, expecting her to be able to just automatically corral it and finish. Nah. They've gotta help her out a little, or she's gotta help them out, whatever the case may be.

It shouldn't surprise you to hear this, but it may. I was very disappointed to see Angel go for that double-double at the end of the Sky/Dream game. I was literally shouting "NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" when I saw her call for the ball and post up Tina Charles. People playing out the last few seconds and going for shots when the shot clock is off at the end of games is a pet peeve of mine. Absolutely unsporting.

Not trying to play a card with you at all, I just know you like her and the Sky. Glad we agree on this, and honestly, it seems like most of the Chicago Sky fanbase is pissed off that Angel Reese is the sole priority on that team.

I noticed a lot of them are turning on Angel Reese's insane fanbase too. Reese fans on Twitter actually **** talking Kamilla Cardoso. Like, who can possibly hate Cardoso? Her, Cameron Brink and Kate Martin are just impossible to dislike.

I think even a lot of Sky fans woke up to this tonight. The optics behind giving Cardoso not even 20 minutes, then pulling Reese for Cardoso with over two minutes left right after she got her 10th rebound, just aren’t good.
I understand the gripe, but I don't typically question coaching decisions since I'm not a coach and don't know the game as well as they do. I wasn't happy with the forced double-double at the end of the Dream game, but have a problem with the coaching decision being referenced. Cardoso got herself into foul trouble early (which was inevitable since she was tasked with guarding Jonquel Jones and Breanna Stewart). Coach Spoon is the type to keep a lineup on the floor that's playing well until they stop playing well, no matter who's playing. I don't have a problem with her letting Angel get a double-double there and then pulling her afterwards, since the outcome was settled at that point.

Not trying to play a card with you at all, I just know you like her and the Sky. Glad we agree on this...
Good, glad we settled that. Gotta give a brotha two seconds to get it out, homie. LOL. I just watched five games. As a late, great man once said, I got all these thoughts swirlin' 'round my head.

...and honestly, it seems like most of the Chicago Sky fanbase is pissed off that Angel Reese is the sole priority on that team.

I noticed a lot of them are turning on Angel Reese's insane fanbase too. Reese fans on Twitter actually **** talking Kamilla Cardoso. Like, who can possibly hate Cardoso? Her, Cameron Brink and Kate Martin are just impossible to dislike.
Honestly, as I've told you downstairs, to each their own, but I really don't care about any of this silly, stupid, unserious pot stirring stuff that anybody on social media or in The Media has to say about these players, these teams, or this league. I haven't even been seeking out any extracurricular/post-game content from the players and coaches themselves, let alone anybody else. I've heard talk of one player allegedly "stealing" another player's rebounds. Dunno if it was you that mentioned somebody saying that. Like, how old are you to even make a comment like that? Give me a break.

I'm content to just watch these girls work and trade observations back and forth with you guys afterwards. I get that it's competiton and all that, but no, I'm not choosing one player at the expense of another (especially not when they both play for a team I like, good grief), no matter how much anybody else out there does it and tries to convince me that I need to. It's not happening. I'm a homer for this league first and foremost. Its future is looking bright, and I'm here for it.

I understand the gripe, but I don't typically question coaching decisions since I'm not a coach and don't know the game as well as they do. I wasn't happy with the forced double-double at the end of the Dream game, but I don't have a problem with the coaching decision being referenced.
Minor correction.

She's 12th in steals per game and 15th in blocks per game. The latter, she's much higher on the stat sheet than Angel Reese. She's the fastest guard to record 20 blocks in WNBA history. Not bad for a "one dimensional" player.

And when people say Caitlin Clark is "one dimensional," they're saying all she does is chuck up three pointers. Go to the College Basketball thread and that's what some of her critics were saying in there too. The Indiana Fever offense runs through Caitlin Clark, which is why she's in these games for like 38 minutes.
Actually, CC has twice as many blocks as Reese, and keeping in mind that CC is a guard and Reese is a forward. And, CC leads all guards in blocked shots

Actually, CC has twice as many blocks as Reese, and keeping in mind that CC is a guard and Reese is a forward. And, CC leads all guards in blocked shots
Yeah the argument that Caitlin Clark is one dimension and Angel Reese is the all around best rookie is complete BS.

Reese is a rebounder and that’s about it. Not even factoring in the stat padding.

A Magician with the ball. Fever are rolling tonight but they gotta keep it going in the second half.

caitlin-personal.png

Epic collapse.

Phoenix is on to something. Force Indiana to feed Lexie Hull. Because she couldn’t buy a basket if it was on sale on Amazon.

Clark was wide open at one point and Lexie is trying to force it in and turns it over.

Clark has to take more shots.

Caitlin Clark, Aaliyah Boston and Kelsey Mitchell stepped up big time in the clutch.

Indiana was about to ice it … but of course Lexie Hull blew it. AND just gave Mercury a chance to get back in it.

Another thrilling Fever game.

They survive. Clark, Boston and Mitchell clutch.

Lexie Hull should never be in the starting five rotation again. I could find any high school girls varsity player who could play as good (bad) as she did.

That was way closer than it had any right being. Have to finish games better than that. Very sloppy and careless offense for much of the 4th quarter, Clark included.

I like Lexie Hull, and she was a big part of why they beat New York last week, but she got abused by Kahleah Copper down the stretch. And she certainly doesn’t need to be taking seven or eight shots.

Another thrilling Fever game.

They survive. Clark, Boston and Mitchell clutch.

Lexie Hull should never be in the starting five rotation again. I could find any high school girls varsity player who could play as good (bad) as she did.
Wheeler or Wallace wouldn’t have been any better, especially when Copper was as hot as she was in the 4th.

I like Lexie Hull, and she was a big part of why they beat New York last week, but she got abused by Kahleah Copper down the stretch. And she certainly doesn’t need to be taking seven or eight shots.

Notice how Phoenix left her WIDE OPEN every time she had the ball. They knew she couldn’t do ****.

Wheeler or Wallace wouldn’t have been any better, especially when Copper was as hot as she was in the 4th.
Hull had no business fouling her that late.

And she has even less business taking all those shots. Especially when she didn’t make a single one. Get the ball to Clark, Boston or Mitchell.

Notice how Phoenix left her WIDE OPEN every time she had the ball. They knew she couldn’t do ****.
She was shooting 38% from 3 coming into the night. She’s been a good 3 & D role player off the bench this year and a lot of a fans, myself included, have been asking for her to get more significant minutes. She drew a tough defensive assignment and got coaxed into shooting more than she should, for sure. I think she’s most valuable getting about three shots up and hustling on the defensive end. It sucked in a big way tonight, but I think she’ll bounce back.

Fever needs to add another good player in the next draft.
They need another defensive-minded wing. Tonight proved that. Bueckers would obviously be awesome, but the Fever are going to sneak into the playoffs and miss the lottery. She won’t drop that far. I’m not sure there’s another guard with that profile who’s gonna be available at pick 5 or 6 and contribute immediately. They need to attack in free agency.

Wheeler’s contract expires after this year and I imagine they’ll let her walk. She’s quite simply redundant on this Fever squad - a ball-dominant guard who can’t defend. There were seven minutes tonight in which Clark, Wheeler, and Hull were on the floor together and Indiana was -16 in those minutes. That’s a really poor defensive backcourt that’s ripe for letting the opponent back into the game.

I'm to the point that I have seen enough games to start a running list of favorite players in the W. It should be no surprise that my top-three are the Fever's Big Three.
  1. Caitlin Clark
  2. Aalyiah Boston
  3. Kelsey Mitchell
  4. Cameron Brink
  5. Britney Griner
  6. Kate Martin
  7. Kamilla Cardoso
  8. A'ja Wilson
  9. Diana Taurasi
  10. DeWanna Bonner

She was shooting 38% from 3 coming into the night. She’s been a good 3 & D role player off the bench this year and a lot of a fans, myself included, have been asking for her to get more significant minutes. She drew a tough defensive assignment and got coaxed into shooting more than she should, for sure. I think she’s most valuable getting about three shots up and hustling on the defensive end. It sucked in a big way tonight, but I think she’ll bounce back.

I had enough sense when I was in little league soccer to know that, sometimes, you've got to realize it's not your night and adjust to that.

Indiana's Big Three are becoming a lethal combination, quickly. We all already knew Caitlin Clark is from Krypton or some ****... but Aalyiah Boston has a very veteran-like presence and it's sometimes easy to forget that she's only in her sophomore year in The W. 😳 I'm impressed by her poise and consistency. And the veteran Kelsey Mitchell has become very comfortable playing with Caitlin.

Just saw the replay of the Fever/Mercury game. I was only half interested from the jump since Diana Taurasi and Natasha Cloud were both out, and that bad impression Phoenix made on me in the last game of theirs I saw, their previous game against the Fever, has stuck with me. I've only been watching them when they play the few other teams I've been going out of my way to watch this season - Chicago, Indiana, Connecticut, and occasionally Seattle.

Once Griner hit the deck and slumped over in pain, I completely checked out and just did not care at all. First time all season that that's happened. The Fever were playing a pick-up game at the park for a good while afterwards, just running a layup drill while the dumbfounded Phoenix players stood around and watched.

I started to wake up as Phoenix started to play zone D and come back. I don't normally like zone D because you allow open 3-point looks doing that, but it was actually a brilliant move since the Fever weren't shooting threes well at all (neither was Phoenix up to that point). That move really slowed Indiana down and stopped the layup drills. I was torn between appreciating the fight Phoenix was showing and not wanting them to win after that bad first impression. Either way, I didn't think they would win, and they didn't.

I wanted Caitlin to shoot towards the end of the game when the margin started to close up, but the true point guard lover in me saw and appreciated what she was trying to do. She was obviously going for the Fever single-game assist record, which she tied for the third time. No worries. She'll obviously get it.

Andrew, leave Lexie Hull alone. Seriously. She's been a very good defensive spark plug off the bench and made some big stops in that game. Like FL said, she was shooting threes well prior to the game. Everybody on both teams was missing threes, not just her. It happens. Your girl's team got the W. Be happy. Geez. :lol2:

They need another defensive-minded wing. Tonight proved that. Bueckers would obviously be awesome, but the Fever are going to sneak into the playoffs and miss the lottery. She won’t drop that far. I’m not sure there’s another guard with that profile who’s gonna be available at pick 5 or 6 and contribute immediately. They need to attack in free agency.

Wheeler’s contract expires after this year and I imagine they’ll let her walk. She’s quite simply redundant on this Fever squad - a ball-dominant guard who can’t defend. There were seven minutes tonight in which Clark, Wheeler, and Hull were on the floor together and Indiana was -16 in those minutes. That’s a really poor defensive backcourt that’s ripe for letting the opponent back into the game.
I agree completely with this, and especially regarding Erica Wheeler. Like I've previously said, I definitely think she belongs in this league, and I love her positive locker room energy and veteran leadership/mentorship, but she's just not needed on that team with Caitlin running the point and playing for darn near the full 40 minutes every game. Unless Caitlin gets hurt or Coach Sides finally decides to start letting her rest during games, they really don't need two ball-dominant playmaking point guards.

I'm glad Reese plays for the Sky and not the Fever. Now, Cardoso I would like to see with the fever.

Good overall Sky/Liberty game today that went as I expected outcome-wise. I think the Liberty have overcome the bad first impression they made on me in one of those previous games against the Fever, when they got lazy.

Jonquel Jones, my favorite Liberty player, held it down with Stewie out. She had a cold start but stayed out of foul trouble for the most part and played a solid all-around game. She was making some nice passes out there. Big ups to Leonie Fiebich and Ivana Dojkic, two Liberty reserves who I've previously shouted out and stepped up big for them today. I like those two.

The Sky hung tough until the end, when the Liberty did what good teams do and slammed the door shut. The refs were inconsistent with the calls and messing up on both sides, and my team eventually lost their cool over it. I understand the frustration, but bad calls happen. You have to be professionals and keep your composure. Too many technical fouls.

Even as a guy who loves Angel Reese, I'm really glad that her double-double streak is over. Maybe it'll get her to STOP TRYING TO SHOOT THE BALL AT THE END OF GAMES WHEN THE SHOT CLOCK IS TURNED OFF! I was furious at first with Lindsay Allen, who I have come to really like, for initially passing Angel the ball. Glad the Liberty didn't let Angel get that shot off, and I'm glad Lindsay made the right decision the second time and held it despite the crowd begging her to pass the ball again. What the heck, people!? It's called sportsmanship. Learn it. 😤

On the positive side for Chicago, Marina Mabrey and Michaela Onyenwere had great individual games. Marina was on fire from beyond the arc. I was shocked to see that she already had a double-double with points and rebounds by the end of the 3rd quarter. I hope Michaela gets more playing time moving forward. Not sure why she hasn't up to this point. She's been a great spark plug off the bench in the last couple of games and is a relentlessly positive, genuinely good person from what I've seen and heard. I've enjoyed seeing her make the most of her playing time.

Back
Top Bottom