WNBA

Even as a guy who loves Angel Reese, I'm really glad that her double-double streak is over. Maybe it'll get her to STOP TRYING TO SHOOT THE BALL AT THE END OF GAMES WHEN THE SHOT CLOCK IS TURNED OFF AND THE GAME IS OUT OF REACH!
Girl had me so triggered that I couldn't even get it out right. :lol2:

I still love Angel, but I wish somebody would pull her aside and talk to her about that. That can't continue moving forward.

The Liberty is just a much better team than the Sky. The Liberty beat the Sky in the only category that counts when the game is over.....points.

Stating the obvious facts as far as the outcome is concerned, of course. As I said in my essay, I wasn't expecting anything different.

Apologies if I write too much and nobody cares, about it, guys. Just keep scrolling if you need to. My feelings won't be hurt. I think I'm probably watching this league for different reasons than others here.

I'm not really invested in the outcomes of these games, even the ones involving my current favorite team. I intend to keep it positive regardless and just enjoy the good, physical brand of basketball these ladies play. I watch everybody on the court, not just the superstars and big names, and I enjoy seeing various non-superstars and reserves step up and like applauding them for their efforts, which often go unnoticed. They've been a joy to watch.

New York, to Angel Reese just now: 🖕
Even as a guy who loves Angel Reese, I'm really glad that her double-double streak is over. Maybe it'll get her to STOP TRYING TO SHOOT THE BALL AT THE END OF GAMES WHEN THE SHOT CLOCK IS TURNED OFF! I was furious at first with Lindsay Allen, who I have come to really like, for initially passing Angel the ball. Glad the Liberty didn't let Angel get that shot off, and I'm glad Lindsay made the right decision the second time and held it despite the crowd begging her to pass the ball again. What the heck, people!? It's called sportsmanship. Learn it. 😤
I honestly don’t get why she does this stuff. WHY? All it does is help feed the narrative and take the shine off of the streak. I’m glad New York put a stop to this nonsense. Maybe now that the streak is over Chicago can get back to just playing basketball for the sake of winning. Over the break, Angel needs to continue working a LOT on her shooting mechanics. She’s one of the worst shooting bigs in the league, and her form just looks so wonky. She’s a tremendous rebounder, very high motor, and plays solid D, but her offense site game has a lot of development to go. I did see her try to get a couple of high-low actions with Cardoso that worked pretty well, so hopefully the Sky continue to work that into the scheme.

Overall, this game kinda reinforced to me that, as Chennedy Carter goes, the Sky go. When she’s in foul trouble or simply not hitting shots, that offense struggles mightily.

I honestly don’t get why she does this stuff. WHY? All it does is help feed the narrative and take the shine off of the streak. I’m glad New York put a stop to this nonsense. Maybe now that the streak is over Chicago can get back to just playing basketball for the sake of winning. Over the break, Angel needs to continue working a LOT on her shooting mechanics. She’s one of the worst shooting bigs in the league, and her form just looks so wonky. She’s a tremendous rebounder, very high motor, and plays solid D, but her offense site game has a lot of development to go. I did see her try to get a couple of high-low actions with Cardoso that worked pretty well, so hopefully the Sky continue to work that into the scheme.

Overall, this game kinda reinforced to me that, as Chennedy Carter goes, the Sky go. When she’s in foul trouble or simply not hitting shots, that offense struggles mightily.

Angel Reese wants to be the face of the sport, and she needs to win ROTY to be able to still not accomplish that.

Anytime I see video or anything from Caitlin, she’s praising her teammates, players on the other team, and talking about how grateful she is to play with people she idolized. Anytime I see stuff from Angel, it’s a vanity thing.

I get what she’s trying to do. And she has made herself a household name doing it. But, there’s a difference between playing the villain and being one. There’s a difference between playing up a rivalry and letting it consume you.

In my team's defense, they play hard every single game (which is the primary reason why they're my team right now and the Mystics are fighting for that distinction) and definitely do play basketball for the sake of winning. They're a young under .500 team and do their best to hang tough against tough opponents like the Liberty. That's all I can reasonably ask for out of them.

Angel's obviously the only player who likes to get her numbers. Caitlin was definitely trying hard to break that Fever single-game assists record the other day. The obvious and important difference was that Caitlin didn't try do it with the shot clock turned off and the game already decided, which is entirely the issue for me with Angel and any other player who ever decides to do that. That's two strikes, Angel. Don't get to three.

denzelstare.png

Yeah, Chennedy had a rough game. She started out ice cold and quickly got herself into foul trouble and had to sit. Mabrey and Onyenwere actually did a surprisingly good job holding it down in her place. I like Coach Spoon's approach of letting players and lineups that are rolling continue to play. It occasionally results in players not getting time when they otherwise would, and vice versa, but as long as the Sky are hanging tough, I don't care who's on the floor at any given time.

It's important to remember that like Caitlin, Angel may be a super rookie, but she's still a rookie with plenty of room for improvement. I'm being patient with her regarding her offensive game. Her primary responsibilities right now are to bring the energy and hustle, crash the boards, and defend and occasionally score from in close. She plays her role well. She'll continue to work on that shot over time (she actually already has been), just like Caitlin will eat that spinach over the off-season and show up next year looking like Kelsey Plum. 💪

kelseyplumbun_255.jpg

Angel's obviously not the only player who likes to get her numbers. Caitlin was definitely trying hard to break that Fever single-game assists record the other day. The obvious and important difference was that Caitlin didn't try do it with the shot clock turned off and the game already decided, which is entirely the issue for me with Angel and any other player who ever decides to do that. That's two strikes, Angel. Don't get to three.
NOT, dang it, she's NOT the only player who likes to get her numbers. You knew what I meant. :lol2: 🤦‍♂️

NOT, dang it, she's NOT the only player who likes to get her numbers. You knew what I meant. :lol2: 🤦‍♂️

Don’t disagree. But the stat padding antics with Reese went way outside the normal scope. Which is why it was called out by Sky fans.

I know Caitlin wants those assists, but I think she wants to win first and foremost.

Don’t disagree. But the stat padding antics with Reese went way outside the normal scope. Which is why it was called out by Sky fans.
Right, that's exactly what I said in my post prior to that one, and why I have likewise called it out. I know this is rare for us, and definitely don't get used to it, at all, but yeah, there's no daylight between us on this. We stand as one. 😤

jTrWiM.gif

I know Caitlin wants those assists, but I think she wants to win first and foremost.
It's become clear to me watching them that Caitlin and Angel both want to win first and foremost, as I would imagine that all players in the W want (beyond simply securing a roster spot, which is another topic that isn't talked about enough with regard to this league but is for another time). I definitely wasn't trying to tear Caitlin down to boost Angel or equate the two of them in that regard. Both Clark and Reese fans can be annoying with that. I hate seeing it.

All I was saying was that, yes, players like to get their numbers at times, and I have absolutely no problem with it as long as it's not during the last possession of a game where the outcome has already been decided or done selfishly, to the team's detriment. Angel's two recent unsportsmanlike acts fall under the first category. Caitlin trying to get the assists record wasn't unsporting and falls under neither category.

No Napheesa Collier for the Lynx once again. Maybe Indiana can steal one on the road today, will be a tough test regardless though.

Peeee...you ! CC having a really rough game. Fever somehow keeping it close
with the Lynx. Still entertaining.

Aliyah Boston - outstanding game with 17 pts/16 rebs/4 blocks. CC had a horrible shooting performance today, but the rest of the starting 5 played really well. Fever have to be ecstatic to get a tough road win like that with Clark playing that poorly. Indiana are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.

Caitlin still had some good numbers except for her FG %. 17 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds.

Indiana is really looking good. Team has come together.

I have a few more games to watch, but I had to write my essay about the Sun/Mercury game, which I just saw. All of Phoenix's starters played. It started out good and then just turned into a Sun blowout, which I was thrilled with since they're one of the teams I've been following.

Rachel Banham, a reserve who has lit me up as an opponent in the 2K games like Marina Mabrey, made all the difference offensively. She went 8/11 from deep. That's not only a career best for her, it's the most 3s ever made by a bench player in WNBA history.

My girl DiJonai Carrington didn't have a great game offensively (she still managed to score 12 points at least), but she made the difference in just about every other way imaginable. She pulled down 11 rebounds, 6 of which were offensive rebounds, and got her first ever double-double. Three-Jonai didn't really show up today (she did have at least one 3), but D-Jonai definitely did, as she always does. She is such a pest on D, and I love watching her work on that end. This girl got a block on Brittany Griner. That was wild.

I used to think the Sun were a bit of a paper tiger. I think they are when they're tired and lackadaisical, but when they're awake and alert and have had their coffee or whatever they need to get the energy going, they're a great team that I really enjoy watching. I feel like they're a future/upgraded version of the current young Sky squad. They're not a great outside shooting team overall, but they're a great defensive team and can score inside and from midrange. I'm cool with that.

Anyway, yeah, I'm really proud of Rachel and DiJonai, who both held it down today and allowed Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner to get some well deserved rest on the bench. Well done, ladies! ^_^

racheldijonai.jpg

Also, the cutie Sophie Cunningham on the Mercury has earned a wrist slap from me for going for a layup at the end of the game with the shot clock off, like she didn't hear me getting on Angel's case about that nonsense. Dunno if she was a little salty about Rachel hitting that last 3 on her or what. The shot clock wasn't off, so I didn’t have a problem with it at all. That layup attempt wasn't cool.

Just got caught up on the Lynx/Fever game. That was one of the best games I've seen so far this season. It was close, gritty, and defensive (with some entertaining offense mixed in, to be fair), but clean - my kind of game. That block by Kelsey Mitchell on Alanna Smith (I think?) at the end was incredible. Congrats to the Fever on the win. They earned it for sure.

The list of teams I'll be following has grown by one. I'm definitely gonna have to start following the Lynx. I've seen them twice now and was impressed both times. I really like the fact that they're not just a random collection of All-Stars - they're just a group of good players who are well coached and play very well as a unit on both ends. I truly enjoyed watching them. They fought hard without their superstar leader, Napheesa Collier, who was looking absolutely divine on the bench. I'll be the first to tell you that it ain't about all that for me watching this league, but wow, I loved her outfit. So pretty. ^_^

kiss-chef.gif

If Courtney Williams hadn't made me a fan before, she has now. I love her swag. There's no hesitation in anything she does, just veteran confidence. Apparently she likes to talk, too...ha ha. Like her team, she's fun to watch whether she's passing, scoring, or just locking in and playing D. I love her.

Shout-out to all of the Lynx, and to all the fans who showed up. There were definitely plenty of Clark/Fever fans in the crowd, which is the case wherever they go, but man, the Lynx have always had some of the best, most passionate fans in sports. They always come out to support their girls. You love to see it. 👍

Aliyah Boston - outstanding game with 17 pts/16 rebs/4 blocks. CC had a horrible shooting performance today, but the rest of the starting 5 played really well. Fever have to be ecstatic to get a tough road win like that with Clark playing that poorly. Indiana are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.
Credit to the Lynx defense, man. Caitlin missed a couple of open looks, but the Lynx overall did a very good job defensively on her (and in general, which is what they do). They weren't just throwing constant double-teams at her like everybody was doing at the beginning of the season, either.

Natisha Hiedeman in particular did a great job off the bench and just stuck to her like glue. They played great team defense and were absolutely smothering at times, even without their anchor, Napheesa Collier. I was really impressed.

Caitlin had 17 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds against Minnesota on a bad night. Shows just how good she is.

Credit to the Lynx defense, man. Caitlin missed a couple of open looks, but the Lynx overall did a very good job defensively on her (and in general, which is what they do). They weren't just throwing constant double-teams at her like everybody was doing at the beginning of the season, either.

Natisha Hiedeman in particular did a great job off the bench and just stuck to her like glue. They played great team defense and were absolutely smothering at times, even without their anchor, Napheesa Collier. I was really impressed.
A little of A and a little of B for sure. The Lynx are a solid defensive squad and she missed the open looks she got as well. It happens. Could be something to do with the sight lines of that place - she’s something like 7-0 now at Target Center, but she didn’t shoot well at all from long range there earlier this year during the Big Ten Tournament. I agree that some teams have stopped blitzing her to an extent because they have to respect her teammates and her playmaking ability to get them the ball in scoring position.

Definitely a great place for women’s basketball up there, btw. And an easy drive for a lot of Hawkeyes.

The play where she put Carleton in a blender was a pretty sick highlight, although Carleton played a great game outside of that herself.

A little of A and a little of B for sure. The Lynx are a solid defensive squad and she missed the open looks she got as well. It happens. Could be something to do with the sight lines of that place - she’s something like 7-0 now at Target Center, but she didn’t shoot well at all from long range there earlier this year during the Big Ten Tournament. I agree that some teams have stopped blitzing her to an extent because they have to respect her teammates and her playmaking ability to get them the ball in scoring position.

Definitely a great place for women’s basketball up there, btw. And an easy drive for a lot of Hawkeyes.

The play where she put Carleton in a blender was a pretty sick highlight, although Carleton played a great game outside of that herself.
Your shots ain't gonna fall every night not matter how good you are. That's when you find other ways to get involved. That's all it is.

Yes, that was a nice crossover by Caitlin. I had forgotten all about that. And yes, Carleton did play well overall, too. It was just a great game all around. Like I said, definitely one of the best I've seen so far this season.

All but two of these games featured Caitlin Clark. And one of those games had Caitlin Clark as lead-in.

But "It's because of me too."

I hope I'm not the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious that you and I, by complete and utter happenstance (Marina Mabrey just happening to be a Sky player), ended up as fans of two WNBA teams/players whose fanbases are completely at odds with one another (online). That is so funny to me. It's just the natural order of things and couldn't possibly be any other way. :XXROFL:

All but two of these games featured Caitlin Clark. And one of those games had Caitlin Clark as lead-in.

But "It's because of me too."

I gotta say, it’s pretty cool that the TV audience has followed Caitlin to the W after all. There was some doubt about that heading into Draft night, but she’s proven she’s gonna be a draw for a long time.

While not on par with Fever figures, the rest of the league’s audiences are increasing significantly as well, so I think everyone’s gotta be pretty happy. And next year they should get even more OTA coverage since NBC is expected to get a pretty significant slate of W games as part of its new deal with the NBA.

Looks like I'll have a few more games to watch during this last week before the Olympic break. All of the teams I'm currently following are playing.

Tonight

Liberty/Sun - 7 p.m. (Prime)
Aces/Sky - 10 p.m. (Prime)

Tomorrow, July 17th

Lynx/Dream - 1 p.m. (League Pass)
Wings/Fever - 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)

This will be my first taste of the Wings and Arike Ogunbowale this season. (I seem to remember watching part of one of their games a few years ago, when I considered signing up for League Pass but didn't follow through with it.) The All-Star festivities start on Friday, and the game is on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.

Looks like I'll have a few more games to watch during this last week before the Olympic break. All of the teams I'm currently following are playing.

Tonight

Liberty/Sun - 7 p.m. (Prime)
Aces/Sky - 10 p.m. (Prime)

Tomorrow, July 17th

Lynx/Dream - 1 p.m. (League Pass)
Wings/Fever - 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)

This will be my first taste of the Wings and Arike Ogunbowale this season. (I seem to remember watching part of one of their games a few years ago, when I considered signing up for League Pass but didn't follow through with it.) The All-Star festivities start on Friday, and the game is on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.
NO, NO. Tonight is the Baseball All Star Game. At least tune it in for the first 3 innings and watch the next great pitcher in MLB starting for the National League. Last year Paul Skenes was pitching for LSU in the National Championship and this year he is the starting pitcher in the All Star Game.

NO, NO. Tonight is the Baseball All Star Game. At least tune it in for the first 3 innings and watch the next great pitcher in MLB starting for the National League. Last year Paul Skenes was pitching for LSU in the National Championship and this year he is the starting pitcher in the All Star Game.
LOL, first of all, I'm not watching anything tonight (small chance I might watch the replay of Mystics/Mercury from earlier today, but I doubt it). I never watch these games live. I watch the replays afterwards on League Pass to avoid the commercials and stuff. That's why my essays are on a delay compared with the rest of you.

As for the baseball, enjoy. I've played a few of the recent MLB The Show games, but I don't watch it. I watch the WNBA like it's my job. As a great man once said, that's all it is, and that's all it's gonna be.

trick-williams-wwe.gif

Chennedy Carter, the little dynamo, absolutely took over down the stretch for Chicago tonight. Nice road win against the Aces.

Comeback fell up short, but I loved Sydney Colson’s individual defense to spark the Vegas rally. +11 in only six minutes for her. She’s also a hilarious follow on Twitter if you’re about that.

Caitlin Clark Effect.

While it's in large part because of the NBA's new TV deal, as the article notes, TNT never aired WNBA games and were never interested. Those games will certainly air on NBC and, IF TNT does match Amazon's offer, they will air WNBA games.

The WNBA is also expected to resign with ION Television.

Caitlin Clark Effect.

While it's in large part because of the NBA's new TV deal, as the article notes, TNT never aired WNBA games and were never interested. Those games will certainly air on NBC and, IF TNT does match Amazon's offer, they will air WNBA games.

The WNBA is also expected to resign with ION Television.
I trust NBC’s ability to present the league in a great way. If you go back to the 90’s and early aughts, the league’s best viewership was actually when the league was brand new and aired on NBC. ESPN’s coverage leaves a bit to be desired for me. Not nearly as bad as their NBA coverage, but meh.

This TV deal is gonna create an absolute frenzy after next season. The players will opt out of the current CBA, salary cap and salaries are going to skyrocket, and almost everyone in the league is going to be a free agent. Almost everyone signed through 2025 in anticipation of the new rights agreement, so there are only two players not on rookie contracts who have deals into 2026 and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom