WNBA

I trust NBC’s ability to present the league in a great way. If you go back to the 90’s and early aughts, the league’s best viewership was actually when the league was brand new and aired on NBC. ESPN’s coverage leaves a bit to be desired for me. Not nearly as bad as their NBA coverage, but meh.

This TV deal is gonna create an absolute frenzy after next season. The players will opt out of the current CBA, salary cap and salaries are going to skyrocket, and almost everyone in the league is going to be a free agent. Almost everyone signed through 2025 in anticipation of the new rights agreement, so there are only two players not on rookie contracts who have deals into 2026 and beyond.

When those players sign new contracts and get more money, they need to be sure to thank Caitlin Clark.

When those players sign new contracts and get more money, they need to be sure to thank Caitlin Clark.
Agree, no doubt that the Team owners, and players owe Caitlin Clark big time. If Caitlin Clark were to leave the WNBA you would see a dramatic drop in attendance and TV viewership. It would not drop to its previous levels but it would be significantly lower than what it is today.

Chicago Sky fans letting loose on Angel Reese's insane fanbase again today.

Several of the usual suspects on social media are talking about how Angel is "THE DIFFERENCE MAKER" and are outright dismissing Chennedy Carter's accomplishments. They're going on about double doubles being the only thing that matters, and Chennedy Carter's 34 points don't matter.

On another note, Angel Reese fans are also mad that Barbie made a Sue Bird doll to celebrate women's basketball. They're going on about how it's racist and they should've made an Angel Reese doll instead because "Angel Reese's nickname is Barbie."

But it's Caitlin Clark fans who don't respect other WNBA players...

On another note, Angel Reese fans are also mad that Barbie made a Sue Bird doll to celebrate women's basketball. They're going on about how it's racist and they should've made an Angel Reese doll instead because "Angel Reese's nickname is Barbie."

But it's Caitlin Clark fans who don't respect other WNBA players...
I saw that. I’m afraid they exposed themselves on that one. Sue Bird has had probably the most decorated women’s basketball career ever.

I saw that. I’m afraid they exposed themselves on that one. Sue Bird has had probably the most decorated women’s basketball career ever.

The Angel Reese effect has gotten on everybody's nerves the past couple weeks.

It would be in Angel's best interest to denounce these antics. If she doesn't, she will likely start getting targeted on the court.

WNBA record 19 assists for Clark. Great night attacking the basket but her 3PT shooting never got into a rhythm, nor did it for anyone on the Fever really.

This is great defense by Lexie Hull but even better shot-making. Just Arike being Arike, nothing at all you can do about that one.

Shoutout to CC’s old rival Jacy Sheldon, out of Ohio State, for a nice shooting night tonight. She’s had some nice performances since being pushed into the Wings’ starting lineup.

IMG_5111.jpeg

I'm all caught up on those four games I mentioned the other day.

Sun/Liberty: As I've alluded to before, it's been a tale of two teams for the Sun as I've watched them this season. I never know which one will show up, the tired, stagnant Sun, or the awake, energized, active Sun. They started out okay and kept it close, but about halfway through the fourth quarter, they just tapped out and went to sleep, and so did I. Classy move by Ionescu on the Liberty's last possession, dribbling out the shot clock and letting the Sun dribble out the game clock.

Aces/Sky: The Las Vegas Olympic Team has started off slow and cold pretty much every time I've watched them, but my goodness, I don't even know what to say about how they started that game. Lethargic. Arctic. Chaotic. Lost. Awful. I was as dumbfounded watching them as they were watching the always energetic, hustling Sky, who had an extra pep in their step. They weathered the inevitable Vegas Olympians comeback storm beautifully and got it done. After that first quarter, I didn't even care whether they won or lost. I was already proud of them, as I have been throughout this season.

Lynx/Dream: Good, defensive, close, scrappy, low scoring game - my kind of party. Good Lynx win at home to close out the season before the break. Rhyne Howard came back for the Dream and played well in the short time she got (she didn't start). She'll provide much needed help for poor Allisha Gray and Tina Charles, who have had to carry the team on their backs with all the injuries. If Atlanta can get healthy over the break, I could totally see them surging in the second half of the season. I love the good sportsmanship I frequently see during their games. I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Wings/Fever: My mind was elsewhere since I found out about the trade news as I was watching, but good, entertaining game until the very end. Shame that the Fever couldn't close it out after Caitlin's and Aliyah Boston's excellent individual performances, but I'll never be against a bottom-ranked team finally snapping a losing streak. Like Arike Ogunbowale said at the end of the game, every team in this league can play.

Significant @Mr. Gregory news 😳

shockedpikachu.png

The landscape has changed for your boy.

I like the trade for the Sun, and I absolutely love it for Marina. She gets to go to a championship contender, and on paper, I think she'll fit in perfectly there. With A.T., The Engine, as the command tower, Marina shouldn't have to work so hard to create her own shot, and she's also good at moving the ball herself. They definitely have options with her. Can't wait to see how Coach White fits her in.

Really not sure what the Sky are thinking here. Yes, Banham is a good three-point shooter, too, and no, I'm not thrilled about the Sun, who don't shoot threes well as a group, giving her up right after she just set that record for most threes made by a reserve in a single game. Still, I have to believe that the Sky have more moves planned. They're even more of a work in progress now than they were before.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now as far as my team fandom is concerned. It's wide open at the moment. I loved my avatar, but I'll have to get a new one and do some soul searching. I don't suddenly dislike Reese, Carter, or Chicago, but this could be my chance to get out from underneath the dark cloud of Chicago's heel baggage, LOL.

I mean, Marina got me into basketball again, so my loyalty has to be to her first and foremost. I was already following the Sun thanks to the lovely DiJonai Carrington, so I'm probably gonna end up taking my fandom to Uncasville (although the Lynx are quickly making a very strong case for themselves, even without the cutie MVPhee, and there's always those scrappy Mystics). We'll see what happens, but the odds of me taking the train up to Connecticut to catch a game have increased significantly.

What team do you think will win the WNBA All Star Game.
The Olympians will be rightfully be favored, but I can see the All-Stars making it a game and potentially even pulling off the upset. I think they’ll have a little bit of a point to prove and more to play for.

I have no opinion on who will win the All-Star game tonight. I just hope the fans enjoy the show and that the girls have a good time and then enjoy some much needed R&R before the second half sprint to the playoffs.

I have no opinion on who will win the All-Star game tonight. I just hope the fans enjoy the show and that the girls have a good time and then enjoy some much needed R&R before the second half sprint to the playoffs.
All-Star games have never mattered much to me, aside from personal stats they almost seem pointless to me.

Just watched the All-Star festivities from yesterday. It was cool to see Marina Mabrey in her new Sun uniform. The only thing I didn't like was the 3x3 game. I dunno, I just feel like they constructed 3x3 to be extra exhausting for no reason, with no pauses between made baskets and a 12 second shot clock. It's too quick for me. I was getting tired just watching them. I'd like it more if it was more like a standard pickup game, where you stop and check up after a made basket.

I'm super proud of the Dream's Allisha Gray, who became the first ever player to win both the skills challenge and the three-point contest. Having seen her play several times, I already knew she was a great two-way shooting guard who can score from anywhere, but she really won me over tonight. She comes across as a really sweet, charming, classy young lady with a nice Southern accent. ^_^

Selection committee got embarrassed.

ESPN is so desperate to make Angel Reese the face of the WNBA. Imagine watching that bonkers second half from Arike and interviewing Angel Reese instead.

Back
Top Bottom