WNBA

The most egregious thing I see when Caitlin gets mugged is that her teammates don’t pick her up, go after the aggressor or the coach saying something in postgame. I’ve been a partial fan of womens college ball, I grew up knowing who Chamique Holdsclaw was at Tennessee,following Cynthia Cooper and the Houston Comets, cheering for Candace Parker but I’m a fan of Caitlin her game is cold blooded. Saying all that, this happened to Jordan in the 80’s…they got him Charles Oakley and all that fouling garbage disappeared. The Fever need to find CC her Charles Oakley/Enforcer, someone out of the league who will take a paycheck in exchange for the sole purpose of protecting CC. These ladies are out to hurt CC, for what reason I legit can figure out but enough is enough

I mean, no ****.
All well and good, but they need to address the officiating crew who saw that in real time and only called a common foul. Everyone else in the building could tell otherwise.

The most egregious thing I see when Caitlin gets mugged is that her teammates don’t pick her up, go after the aggressor or the coach saying something in postgame. I’ve been a partial fan of womens college ball, I grew up knowing who Chamique Holdsclaw was at Tennessee,following Cynthia Cooper and the Houston Comets, cheering for Candace Parker but I’m a fan of Caitlin her game is cold blooded. Saying all that, this happened to Jordan in the 80’s…they got him Charles Oakley and all that fouling garbage disappeared. The Fever need to find CC her Charles Oakley/Enforcer, someone out of the league who will take a paycheck in exchange for the sole purpose of protecting CC. These ladies are out to hurt CC, for what reason I legit can figure out but enough is enough

Christie Sides got a technical foul the other night when a cheap shot against Clark wasn't called.

There's no "team" in Indiana. Which is sad because Caitlin Clark is the ultimate teammate. I've actually heard people talk about Clark being a ball hog when countless Indiana drives stall out because Kelsey Mitchell won't pass the ball to Clark (and we all know why at this point).

Time to sign Liz Cambage.

Sides finally stuck up for CC the past couple of games. But they don’t really have anyone to play enforcer just yet. That’s not Boston’s MO, or anybody else’s.

How is it that the Fever have already played ten games and are playing the second leg of yet another back-to-back tonight, while other teams have played only six games? They’re beating the snot out of this squad before they have any time to gel.

How is it that the Fever have already played ten games and are playing the second leg of yet another back-to-back tonight, while other teams have played only six games? They’re beating the snot out of this squad before they have any time to gel.

And frontloaded that schedule like crazy. Indiana having to play all the power teams.

The W is wild. Those players get drafted two weeks after the tournament, then they're playing two weeks after the draft. That's one month to adjust from college to the pros. The way Caitlin Clark, Cameron Brink and Kate Martin have adjusted should be applauded. Same with Angel Reese to a degree.

For once I'd like to hear one of these players say, "Thank you for the chartered flights, the endorsements, the mainstream attention, and the sold out arenas, Caitlin."

I think that like @FLRacingFan said, that's clearly some goon stuff. As I've said before, I fully expect the opposing players to not take it easy on the new star rookie, and maybe even be a little rough with her at times, but that's obviously a flagrant foul, and a silly one in my opinion. Such fouls get no props from me and never have.

This has unfortunately been an ongoing thing in basketball forever, just like the ongoing cycle of upperclassmen in high school hazing freshmen, which I've never been a fan of. As @Jorge De Guzman said, they were pulling this goon nonsense on MJ in his early playing days. I'd strongly prefer to not see this stuff today sink back to that level.

Last I saw back in the early 2010s (so it may be different today), the NBA had largely nipped this stuff in the bud. You would still rarely see it, but it was much more likely to be called what it is and punished harshly. I think that needs to be the standard in both the NBA and WNBA if it's not already. This is basketball, not hockey or football.

There is no question, Clark is a joy to watch play. I enjoy her passing even more than her shooting. Her real long passes are right on the money (amazing) and her short passes occur before I even realize they were made. Her teammates are still learning to catch the passes as they are so sharp. Every game there are 2 - 4 passes that should have been assists except they are missed by her teammate.

There is no question, Clark is a joy to watch play. I enjoy her passing even more than her shooting. Her real long passes are right on the money (amazing) and her short passes occur before I even realize they were made. Her teammates are still learning to catch the passes as they are so sharp. Every game there are 2 - 4 passes that should have been assists except they are missed by her teammate.

The team is starting to gel, they just have this brutal schedule. They've played almost twice as much as the rest of the teams.

I think that like @FLRacingFan said, that's clearly some goon stuff. As I've said before, I fully expect the opposing players to not take it easy on the new star rookie, and maybe even be a little rough with her at times, but that's obviously a flagrant foul, and a silly one in my opinion. Such fouls get no props from me and never have.

This has unfortunately been an ongoing thing in basketball forever, just like the ongoing cycle of upperclassmen in high school hazing freshmen, which I've never been a fan of. As @Jorge De Guzman said, they were pulling this goon nonsense on MJ in his early playing days. I'd strongly prefer to not see this stuff today sink back to that level.

Last I saw back in the early 2010s (so it may be different today), the NBA had largely nipped this stuff in the bud. You would still rarely see it, but it was much more likely to be called what it is and punished harshly. I think that needs to be the standard in both the NBA and WNBA if it's not already. This is basketball, not hockey or football.
For sure, by nature you’d expect more physicality in the W since the men’s game is simply played much more beyond the arc. But the blatant cheap shots, hacking on drives to the rim, etc. just aren’t basketball plays and obviously motivated by other factors. And there’s been soo much of that.

And it’s really pretty unfortunate, because instead of using the draw of Clark to help showcase and promote other players, this is now almost the only discussion going in. Chennedy Carter played a genuinely fantastic game on Saturday, and all anyone is talking about is her acting like a neanderthal (in which she gave the Fever a free throw in what wound up a 1-point loss).

For sure, by nature you’d expect more physicality in the W since the men’s game is simply played much more beyond the arc. But the blatant cheap shots, hacking on drives to the rim, etc. just aren’t basketball plays and obviously motivated by other factors. And there’s been soo much of that.

And it’s really pretty unfortunate, because instead of using the draw of Clark to help showcase and promote other players, this is now almost the only discussion going in. Chennedy Carter played a genuinely fantastic game on Saturday, and all anyone is talking about is her acting like a neanderthal (in which she gave the Fever a free throw in what wound up a 1-point loss).

For me, the problem is the officials themselves. The cheap shots need to be called as such.

The WNBA should be considering unprecedented action. I mean, I get that Angel Reese has had some cheap shots thrown her way too, but those also get called as such immediately.

Caitlin Clark does get a little too mouthy at the refs, but honestly, I condone it right now. They've declared open season on her.

I don't watch the WNBA but I am aware of the sport because I don't live under a rock and read about it. I am curious so I ask you guys what is with the left leg covering on Angel Reese? I've seen parts of arms and legs of athletes covered with some sort of thing but not the entire leg.

I don't watch the WNBA but I am aware of the sport because I don't live under a rock and read about it. I am curious so I ask you guys what is with the left leg covering on Angel Reese? I've seen parts of arms and legs of athletes covered with some sort of thing but not the entire leg.
Reese has a scar on her felt leg and she wears the covering to hide it.

Multiple reasons players do this.

For some, they wear a compression sleeve on their dominant leg. For others, it’s a style thing.

Caitlin Clark: Wins Rookie of the Month.

USA Today, which wrote an article a while back bemoaning Caitlin Clark's popularity because she's white:

The irony of this is, Cameron Brink's talents are getting completely overlooked by the media, because they've chosen their narrative.

Las Vegas Aces Coach Compares Kate Martin to WNBA Legend After Win​

Kate Martin's going to make a strong case for Rookie of the Year I think. To me, it's probably gonna come down to Caitlin Clark, Cameron Brink and Kate Martin. Of course we haven't seen much of Cardoso yet.

The rookie class is really coming to form.

Caitlin Clark is in the top-five in two offensive categories, including assists despite being on the worst team in the league with the hardest schedule in the history of the WNBA. And Angel Reese is quickly looking like she's going to be one of the greatest defensive players in history. She leads the league in offensive rebound percentage and by a pretty sizable margin, and leads all rookies in almost every defensive category, and is basically a walking double-double.

For me, the problem is the officials themselves. The cheap shots need to be called as such.

The WNBA should be considering unprecedented action. I mean, I get that Angel Reese has had some cheap shots thrown her way too, but those also get called as such immediately.

Caitlin Clark does get a little too mouthy at the refs, but honestly, I condone it right now. They've declared open season on her.
Reese got a double technical a few nights ago for jawing with the refs and was subsequently ejected. The next day the league once again reviewed the incident, and this time rescinded the second tech. The officials have a long way to go for the league to gain credibility.

The rookie class is really coming to form.

Caitlin Clark is in the top-five in two offensive categories, including assists despite being on the worst team in the league with the hardest schedule in the history of the WNBA. And Angel Reese is quickly looking like she's going to be one of the greatest defensive players in history. She leads the league in offensive rebound percentage and by a pretty sizable margin, and leads all rookies in almost every defensive category, and is basically a walking double-double.
Angel Reese will be an incredible two-way player when she figures out how to put the ball in the basket.

Alissa Pili also had an insane performance for the Lynx last week where she had 20 points in 15 minutes. Lots of talent in this class.

Angel Reese will be an incredible two-way player when she figures out how to put the ball in the basket.

Reese is The Rebound Queen.

Angel Reese's rebound ability is single-handedly going to make her an all-time great. Granted, most of her rebounds are on her missed layups, but how many players are able to rebound their own shots? She's not afraid to get super physical too.

I do think Caitlin Clark and Cameron Brink are the best two rookies right now. Clark is setting records, is one of the top players in the assists category, one of the top players in the three pointers category, and is racking up a lot of steals (more than Angel Reese, in fact).

ESPN's big talking point for why Angel Reese, not Caitlin Clark, is the WNBA is because "Reese plays both ways and Clark only plays offense," but the stats say otherwise.

Cameron Brink is a walking block party. She the white girl version of Dikembe Mutambo.

Why does Christie Sides keep benching Caitlin Clark late in the 4th in close games?

She put her back in before the lead turned into a deficit. But still, why?

That was fun. I think Sides just wants to give CC
a couple quick breathers before the final frantic few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom