Worst driver of the decade,.

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Mike Crayne, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Mike Crayne

Mike Crayne Team Owner

I could make a big list of suitable people but I will stick to two.

1. Mike Harmon

2.Kevin Conway.

2. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Is Harmon really that bad or is the equipment just garbage, I mean honestly.

Natalie isn't very good and she puts a bad look for female racers.

3. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I wish Natalie Decker has spent another year in ARCA and run some competitive SLM races before moving up. Even then, I'm just not sure she's good enough for NASCAR.

That race at Bristol had to be the worst thing I've ever seen in terms of driver performance.

Turtle84, FLRacingFan and DanicaFreak like this.
  4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

John Wes Townley for stinking up the decade the longest. Honorable mention to Natalie Decker but I doubt she will be around long enough to make a dent in John Wes's wreck tally. Bawk.

5. Joker

Joker #1 Harvick Fan

Danica Patrick. Just look at the performance difference between her and Aric.

6. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Five

racer8 and KTMLew01 like this.
  7. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

The fact that she spent all that time in Elite equipment makes it hard to disagree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

I was surprised.

9. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

o_O, little more info for the less informed please.

10. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I’m going to take a stab at it and guess that it took 5 posts before someone mentioned Danica. Now if it took 5 too many or 5 less that’s another story and one I’m not going to guess at

11. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

David Ragan. Total flop in roush cars when teammates were dominating

12. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

Yep, that sounds about right, considering the author.:D

aunty dive and Snappy D like this.
  13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

He must have been thinking about nominating her himself. :idunno:

sdj likes this.
  14. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

I agree with Standonit and am going with John Wes Townley too.

15. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses.

Trevor Bayne, Steven Wallace, Travis Kvapil, JJ Yeley, Jeffrey Earnhardt.

All fighting for second behind JWT.

StandOnIt likes this.
  16. Marcingak

Marcingak Team Owner

Travis Kvapil is a truck series champion.

Blaze, Kiante, Mispeedway15 and 3 others like this.
  17. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

I mean if we are going to say JWT for the crashes you need to bring up Stenhouse

18. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

1. Danica Patrick
    2. Trevor Bayne
    3. Natalie Decker
    4. Travis Pastrana
    5. David Ragan

Honorable mention: Steven Wallace, Ricky Stenhouse, John Wes Townley

19. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses.

I don't think Decker or Pastrana have enough starts to justify being on this list. Both only ran a single full season in a national series. That's just my criteria; others will feel differently.
    In 2003, seven years before the decade under discussion. What did he do in the 2010s to improve on that?

RacerrecaR likes this.
  20. bigspud

bigspud Team Owner

:pbjtime:the guy driving the jet dryer for brake checking montoya.:pbjtime:

21. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

This is actually really tough.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

David Ragan made a whole career off of two plate wins and a decent sophomore season. I have to be impressed with him getting one Top 10 in nine races in the car that eventually won the 2015 championship while later going on to get zero Top 10s in twenty-six races with MWR (Clint Bowyer had twelve and Brett Moffitt had one in the same car in his eighth career start). For having the longevity that he did as poorly has he did I think he certainly has to be in contention.

Turtle84, Kiante, gnomesayin and 2 others like this.
  23. Magnethead

Magnethead Admin & Resident Techie Staff Member

JWT and Ragan. Nod to Danica.

Joker likes this.
  24. paradigm

paradigm Team Owner

1. Danica Patrick
    2. Ricky Stenhouse
    3. Danica Patrick
    4. Danica Patrick

25. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

ok yeah danica, has to take the cake, sorry danica freak, David ragan next worse. I kept wondering why year after year they would just keep putting david ragan back in the front row cars, knowing nothing would ever happen

Joker likes this.
  26. racer8

racer8 Team Owner

Come on Daytona:D

Charlie Spencer, KTMLew01 and Greg like this.
  27. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

There is no way to determine a worst driver because every car & team us different. So, I'll go with most overrated driver when taking equipment into account...Danica. It is inexcusable that she didn't have any top-10 final standings in points.

Joker likes this.
  28. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Natalie makes Danica look like Kyle Busch with her top 10s

Turtle84 likes this.
  29. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

Natalie is also in pretty crappy equipment compared to what Danica was in her entire career, and both wreck their cars about the same amount.

30. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I wasn't paying attention until she got to the truck series, but she was mashing up good rides there. 8 wrecks in 19 races. One race out of 19 she finished on the lead lap. Ankrum won a race 3 top 5's and 8 top tens in Gilliland equipment. DGR Crosley will be better next year running the Fords. I hope Decker isn't there, I believe she was a Toyota development driver.

31. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I’d limit my list to Cup drivers that completed a full season so here goes
    1.) Derricke Cope
    2.) Dave Gilliland
    3.) Sam Hornish Jr
    4.) Elliott Sadler
    5.) Casey Mears
    As for those saying Danica, Wrecky Crashouse, David Ragan, Trevor Bayne...I consider those drivers to be more or less the biggest Busts of the decade which I think would be a different discussion, IMO

Joker and Charlie Spencer like this.
  32. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I can give you DGR-Crosley, but she was in a Venturini ARCA car.

33. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

It's amazing how people seem to sweep under the rug how awful Ragan was in 2015. Lol.

34. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sdj likes this.
  35. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

Ricky Stenhouse Jr gets my vote. Every time I tune into a race, he always wrecks.

36. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Team Owner

In so many cases its always hard to say figure out if its the driver or the equipment. So in this case I have to go with Danica as she was given top level equipment at both JRM and SHR and didn't produce what I would consider even mediocre results. IMO she probably actually hurt the chances of getting more female drivers into the top level of the sport.

RacerrecaR, Joker and sdj like this.
  37. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

38. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Ricky Stenhouse is not a bust.

I'm not sure where to put Ricky, but to say he's a bust? I'm not sure if I can agree with that one. Roush has turned it around though with Newman, but those two years when it was him and Bayne. Ricky did a fantastic job in holding up the banner a winning for them.

Bayne takes the cake with me, I expected a lot more out of him. Casey Mears as well, but I give him credit for helping Germain Racing go from a S&P team to a team that can compete well in the top 20.

Maybe Regan. His 2015 season was downright horrible. He had some pretty good drives with BK Racing and then going back to FRM. Expect for this last season, he was horrible as well.

Turtle84 and Joker like this.
  39. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Cole Trickle

40. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I don't know who said literally that Stenhouse was a bust, but he is in the mix for a reason. All he had to do was be better than Bayne for years and that is not saying much. Some believed it was the equipment and that reason worked for some until Newman showed up. Newman with a long history in the series, was a driver on the way down and he had his best finish in 4 years and he made the playoffs in a Roush car. Stenhouse has two wins in 9 years, I wouldn't call that winning for them. 3 freakin top 10's last year to Newman's 14.

Joker likes this.