Worst driver of the decade,.

Mike Crayne

Team Owner
I could make a big list of suitable people but I will stick to two.

1. Mike Harmon

2.Kevin Conway.

I wish Natalie Decker has spent another year in ARCA and run some competitive SLM races before moving up. Even then, I'm just not sure she's good enough for NASCAR.

That race at Bristol had to be the worst thing I've ever seen in terms of driver performance.

I mean if we are going to say JWT for the crashes you need to bring up Stenhouse

1. Danica Patrick
2. Trevor Bayne
3. Natalie Decker
4. Travis Pastrana
5. David Ragan

Honorable mention: Steven Wallace, Ricky Stenhouse, John Wes Townley
I don't think Decker or Pastrana have enough starts to justify being on this list. Both only ran a single full season in a national series. That's just my criteria; others will feel differently.
Travis Kvapil is a truck series champion.
In 2003, seven years before the decade under discussion. What did he do in the 2010s to improve on that?

David Ragan made a whole career off of two plate wins and a decent sophomore season. I have to be impressed with him getting one Top 10 in nine races in the car that eventually won the 2015 championship while later going on to get zero Top 10s in twenty-six races with MWR (Clint Bowyer had twelve and Brett Moffitt had one in the same car in his eighth career start). For having the longevity that he did as poorly has he did I think he certainly has to be in contention.

ok yeah danica, has to take the cake, sorry danica freak, David ragan next worse. I kept wondering why year after year they would just keep putting david ragan back in the front row cars, knowing nothing would ever happen

There is no way to determine a worst driver because every car & team us different. So, I'll go with most overrated driver when taking equipment into account...Danica. It is inexcusable that she didn't have any top-10 final standings in points.

Natalie makes Danica look like Kyle Busch with her top 10s
Natalie is also in pretty crappy equipment compared to what Danica was in her entire career, and both wreck their cars about the same amount.

Natalie is also in pretty crappy equipment compared to what Danica was in her entire career, and both wreck their cars about the same amount.
I wasn't paying attention until she got to the truck series, but she was mashing up good rides there. 8 wrecks in 19 races. One race out of 19 she finished on the lead lap. Ankrum won a race 3 top 5's and 8 top tens in Gilliland equipment. DGR Crosley will be better next year running the Fords. I hope Decker isn't there, I believe she was a Toyota development driver.

I’d limit my list to Cup drivers that completed a full season so here goes
1.) Derricke Cope
2.) Dave Gilliland
3.) Sam Hornish Jr
4.) Elliott Sadler
5.) Casey Mears
As for those saying Danica, Wrecky Crashouse, David Ragan, Trevor Bayne...I consider those drivers to be more or less the biggest Busts of the decade which I think would be a different discussion, IMO

I can give you DGR-Crosley, but she was in a Venturini ARCA car.

David Ragan made a whole career off of two plate wins and a decent sophomore season. I have to be impressed with him getting one Top 10 in nine races in the car that eventually won the 2015 championship while later going on to get zero Top 10s in twenty-six races with MWR (Clint Bowyer had twelve and Brett Moffitt had one in the same car in his eighth career start). For having the longevity that he did as poorly has he did I think he certainly has to be in contention.

It's amazing how people seem to sweep under the rug how awful Ragan was in 2015. Lol.

ok yeah danica, has to take the cake, sorry danica freak, David ragan next worse. I kept wondering why year after year they would just keep putting david ragan back in the front row cars, knowing nothing would ever happen
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: sdj
Ricky Stenhouse Jr gets my vote. Every time I tune into a race, he always wrecks.

In so many cases its always hard to say figure out if its the driver or the equipment. So in this case I have to go with Danica as she was given top level equipment at both JRM and SHR and didn't produce what I would consider even mediocre results. IMO she probably actually hurt the chances of getting more female drivers into the top level of the sport.

Ricky Stenhouse is not a bust.

I'm not sure where to put Ricky, but to say he's a bust? I'm not sure if I can agree with that one. Roush has turned it around though with Newman, but those two years when it was him and Bayne. Ricky did a fantastic job in holding up the banner a winning for them.

Bayne takes the cake with me, I expected a lot more out of him. Casey Mears as well, but I give him credit for helping Germain Racing go from a S&P team to a team that can compete well in the top 20.

Maybe Regan. His 2015 season was downright horrible. He had some pretty good drives with BK Racing and then going back to FRM. Expect for this last season, he was horrible as well.

Ricky Stenhouse is not a bust.

I'm not sure where to put Ricky, but to say he's a bust? I'm not sure if I can agree with that one. Roush has turned it around though with Newman, but those two years when it was him and Bayne. Ricky did a fantastic job in holding up the banner a winning for them.

Bayne takes the cake with me, I expected a lot more out of him. Casey Mears as well, but I give him credit for helping Germain Racing go from a S&P team to a team that can compete well in the top 20.

Maybe Regan. His 2015 season was downright horrible. He had some pretty good drives with BK Racing and then going back to FRM. Expect for this last season, he was horrible as well.

I don't know who said literally that Stenhouse was a bust, but he is in the mix for a reason. All he had to do was be better than Bayne for years and that is not saying much. Some believed it was the equipment and that reason worked for some until Newman showed up. Newman with a long history in the series, was a driver on the way down and he had his best finish in 4 years and he made the playoffs in a Roush car. Stenhouse has two wins in 9 years, I wouldn't call that winning for them. 3 freakin top 10's last year to Newman's 14.

Back
Top Bottom