2014 Silly Season Thread

SHR VP of Competition Matt Borland will transition over to VP of Special Projects at Haas F1.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-taps-borland-for-f1-team

I have to wonder how Stewart feels about Gene now moving over SHR employees to the F1 operation.

I don't think there is this huge rift between Stewart and Gene that everyone thinks there is. Without Gene there would not be an SHR, and without Stewart, Haas racing probably would have died years ago.

Last edited:
I don't think there is this huge rift between Stewart and Gene that everyone thinks there is. Without Gene there would not be an SHR, and without Stewart Haas racing probably would have died years ago.
I'm not saying there's a huge rift, but this is a really big project Gene is taking on. There's never been something to move NASCAR personnel away from until now.

I'm not saying there's a huge rift, but this is a really big project Gene is taking on. There's never been something to move NASCAR personnel away from until now.

True, but think about the resources an F1 team could bring in as well? You don't think they couldn't benefit from the engineers and money that the F1 team could bring in?

"Formula One is certainly a lot more technical and I think Borland is looking for the challenge," Haas told Motorsport.com. "He's been doing this a long time and even I have been doing NASCAR a long time and I look at Formula One, like next year we'll have a whole year to see how these cars are built. I've already had a couple of opportunities to see how the cars are built and they're just very fascinating. It's going to give us an opportunity to take some of our NASCAR crew people and say, 'hey, here's an opportunity to learn something new, can you apply that to Formula One and vice versa. The Formula One people from Ferrari are also interested in how we do things." Haas and Borland attended the F1 race at Circuit of the Americas last month. Haas also visited the Maranello-based Ferrari during the Italian Grand Prix. In Austin, Borland preferred to remain under the radar while on his fact-finding mission.

Looks like Haas is going to us F1 as a way to grow SHR. I think this could only mean better things for the company. Also it looks like this deal with Borland has been going on for a while now, so I am sure Stewart has been involved in every decision.

True, but think about the resources an F1 team could bring in as well? You don't think they couldn't benefit from the engineers and money that the F1 team could bring in?
F1 teams are bleeding money right now so I think it would really depend on just how much support they get from Ferrari, whether they ever get a cost cap of some sort introduced, and how well Gene can convince investors to buy into a team that's going to hang around in the back for several years. If the U.S. gets a second race things may take off though.

If they try to recruit some engineers with the pitch that they can work on both series then they may be able to grab some ambitious people. It'll be interesting to see.

I'm tired of Penske's bull****.

Bob Pockrass ‏@bobpockrass
Penske says his Nationwide program will be split by Logano, Keselowski & Blaney next yr. Blaney will run partial skid in NNS & Cup.

What a joke, Gibbs is running Daniel Suarez and Bubba Wallace full-time nationwide next year, and Erik Jones is getting 20 races in the #20. Ryan Blaney is a proven commodity and Penske has no excuse for not running him full-time. If Penske isn't willing to do so in nationwide, that doesn't bode well for his future prospects in cup with the organization.

Blaney needs to pull a Keselowski and jump at the next opportunity with a top Cup team. He's about to get Trevor Bayne'd by Penske. This kid is gonna be a star. He just needs a owner willing to commit to him. I'm sick of the ****** Nationwide series. Just disband the damn thing or make it a Cup light series. Too many young guys not getting any exposure or experience to develop because Brad, Kyle, JGR and Penske need to stroke their egos racing against a bunch of unsponsored high schoolers racing Triad motors.

Blaney needs to pull a Keselowski and jump at the next opportunity with a top Cup team. He's about to get Trevor Bayne'd by Penske. This kid is gonna be a star. He just needs a owner willing to commit to him. I'm sick of the ******* Nationwide series. Just disband the damn thing or make it a Cup light series. Too many young guys not getting any exposure or experience to develop because Brad, Kyle, JGR and Penske need to stroke their egos racing against a bunch of unsponsored high schoolers racing Triad motors.

You'd like for the Nationwide Series to be disbanded. Personally I don't think it's a good idea; you could just kick out the Cup drivers. Then again, there have always been Cup drivers racing in the Nationwide Series, they just didn't have as many guys winning races as they do now. So lowering the amount of races a Cup driver can run would be a good idea, I think.

I'm tired of Penske's bull****.

Bob Pockrass ‏@bobpockrass
Penske says his Nationwide program will be split by Logano, Keselowski & Blaney next yr. Blaney will run partial skid in NNS & Cup.

I like how I find **** like this 20 hours later and post it up on this site like it's breaking news... Hours after its already posted hahaha

Blaney needs to pull a Keselowski and jump at the next opportunity with a top Cup team. He's about to get Trevor Bayne'd by Penske. This kid is gonna be a star. He just needs a owner willing to commit to him. I'm sick of the ******* Nationwide series. Just disband the damn thing or make it a Cup light series. Too many young guys not getting any exposure or experience to develop because Brad, Kyle, JGR and Penske need to stroke their egos racing against a bunch of unsponsored high schoolers racing Triad motors.

I give JGR a pass, because they do give the younger guys a chance. If Penske ran the 22 and 12 it wouldn't be a bad deal. They choose to run one car, but still split it with cup drivers.

I don't give ANY full time cup driver a pass for racing in the Xfinity (hell I still call it the busch series) or truck series. Make it where the drivers, owners and manufacturers points do not count unless the driver is full time in that particular series. That'll put and end to the series jumping and give the young people a better chance to show what they've got.

I think Penske is waiting to start a 3rd cup team. He's given him a few cup starts, now he'll run some in the 21.. and more in NNS... he probably just needs to find a full time cup sponsor really. Plus I'll again g back to it being up to Discount Tire as well. Maybe they want Joey and Brad in the car?

It'd be pretty stupid to split up Denny Hamlin and Darian Grubb. Those two together are pretty fast, Hamlin's 2012 championship hopes were ruined by a $20 part failing at Martinsville, otherwise he would've been right there. In 2013 obviously Hamlin got injured. In 2014 Toyota as a whole was off, but Hamlin was the best Toyota driver of the season. If I were JGR, I'd give Dave Rogers to Carl Edwards and I'd give Adam Stevens to Kyle Busch.

NEMCO will switch to Chevrolet this season and will run ECR engines. Joe and John Hunter will share driving duty again until John Hunter takes over for the remainder of the year at Kentucky on July 9.

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASC...es/2015/01/NEMCO-Reunites-with-Chevrolet.aspx

He won the Snowball Derby this this year. John Hunter definitely is talented and I think his Dad is going to do everything possible to keep his son on the family ship. Rightly so, but if he continues to improve, do not be surprised to see him leave.

Two full-time entries by Brad Keselowski Racing in the Truck Series:

#19 - Tyler Reddick
#29 - Rotation between Brad Keselowski/Joey Logano/Ryan Blaney/Austin Theriault

Theriault will run thirteen races, the trio will split the remaining ten.

He won the Snowball Derby this this year. John Hunter definitely is talented and I think his Dad is going to do everything possible to keep his son on the family ship. Rightly so, but if he continues to improve, do not be surprised to see him leave.
I think he'll certainly leave at some point but it's great to see that operation making so much progress so quickly in the meantime. Joe is still positioning that team for success even after his son's career really takes off.

Cole Whitt, Speedstick, and crew chief Randy Cox move to Front Row Motosports to pilot the #35 car to go with the 38 and 34.

Cole Whitt, Speedstick, and crew chief Randy Cox move to Front Row Motosports to pilot the #35 car to go with the 38 and 34.

Yep. - http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...pands-to-three-teams-adding-cole-whitt-011615

I dig the move because I liked Cole Whitt out of the BK stable last year, he was probably my favorite and the man was driving his behind off. That Toyota was in places that it should not have been last year. Regan and Gilliland are very good measuring sticks and I like how Front Row is slowly expanding and not rushing things. I hope to see them in the top 20 more often.

Yep. - http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...pands-to-three-teams-adding-cole-whitt-011615

I dig the move because I liked Cole Whitt out of the BK stable last year, he was probably my favorite and the man was driving his behind off. That Toyota was in places that it should not have been last year. Regan and Gilliland are very good measuring sticks and I like how Front Row is slowly expanding and not rushing things. I hope to see them in the top 20 more often.
Whitt was literally the only thing going for that operation last year. He earned this ride, for sure.

Front Row had a good, consistent stretch from after the summer break up until the Chase started. If they can replicate that some more it'd be great to see; Ragan in particular is a really likable guy.

It ain't where you start the race, points and money are tied to the finish.

Back
Top Bottom