CHASE talk goes here ----

I get what you are saying but the emphasis was put on winning - If you can't win a race you are vulnerable to misfortune. I hate that Talladega is in the chase because it can bring up a situation much like you are describing where someone that hasn't had speed or is "unworthy" can knock out a consistent driver by winning the lottery race.
This is true.

I dont believe the "emphasis on winning" hype. This system knocked out multi race winners while drivers who only won 1 race or none at all continued to move on.

This is true.

I dont believe the "emphasis on winning" hype. This system knocked out multi race winners while drivers who only won 1 race or none at all continued to move on.

I can agree with this, their is really no benefit to wining more than once race as long as you get top 10 finishes basically until the last 4 or so races. If they wanted an emphasis on winning they would only give points to the race winner, or give a significantly higher amount of points to the race winners. But again, this system is here to stay.

I can agree with this, their is really no benefit to wining more than once race as long as you get top 10 finishes basically until the last 4 or so races. If they wanted an emphasis on winning they would only give points to the race winner, or give a significantly higher amount of points to the race winners. But again, this system is here to stay.
Good post!

Welcome aboard Russ. Enjoy your stay :waver:

This is true.

Yup, like @Russ McClure said there is really no huge emphasis on winning multiple races throughout the yr. And as we saw, many pre-chase wins offer no protection during the chase..... and that may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask.

Like I said tho, 16 drivers is just ridiculous. If they started with 8 or 10 in the chase that would weed out a lot of the Cinderella story drivers.

This chase will be around until the networks want something different or until Jimmie Johnson wins a championship in this format, whichever comes first. ;)

Sooo after Jimmie Johnson wins the Championship in 2015, they'll change the format again? :D

Won it in '06, format changed in '07
Won it in '10, format changed in '11
Won it in '13, format changed in '14

So, yeah. :p

You know, I honestly don't see how people think that Jimmie Johnson isn't a legit champion. I mean he won six Championships under different formats of The Chase, I don't know of any other drivers who have done that, either pre-Chase era or in the Chase era.

I would like them to just leave the format alone, the only thing I would change is that once a driver is eliminated, he is put on the same points ground as all the non chase drivers, which will allow them to fight for points positions 5-16, instead of just 17 and back like this year, which is pretty silly considering some of the chase drivers didn't diverse the points finish they got. The current system kind of pushes everyone to the side if they aren't in the chase, which is a bummer for all the fans of those drivers. I enjoyed it back when they gave a million dollar bonus to the driver who finished the highest in the points out of all the non chase drivers, kind of kept everyone relevant.
Any driver eliminated before the final round could have finished as high as 5th --- by outscoring the other drivers.

We keep beating our heads against the walls of NASCAR's ivory tower. The only real power we have is to NOT watch and NOT attend the races. And I don't think enough people, even though they don't like/understand or hate the Chase, will do that --- at least not in large enough numbers to even make a dent.

Someone said earlier in the thread that it would be nice to see the Chase remain the same for a while --- my thoughts exactly.

I was concerned that consistency was being overlooked with the focus on wins but it appears consistency does count. A win can cover a DNF where one bad race in the previous formats ended a chase chance. Consistent finishes can compete with wins.

You know, I honestly don't see how people think that Jimmie Johnson isn't a legit champion. I mean he won six Championships under different formats of The Chase, I don't know of any other drivers who have done that, either pre-Chase era or in the Chase era.
Tony's the only other one that comes to mind. He won a non-chase championship, one in the first iteration of the chase, and one in the most recent version we had before this year.

I was concerned that consistency was being overlooked with the focus on wins but it appears consistency does count. A win can cover a DNF where one bad race in the previous formats ended a chase chance. Consistent finishes can compete with wins.
Exactly. The best of both worlds IMO.

Just a comment in general about all of the Chase hate..... Nobody's changing anybody's mind on here. We can either profess our like or dislike in the format and the reason's why. I mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. People can complain on here all they want about all of these things but that's not going to get you what you want. NASCAR's got a radio station on Sirius/XM, Channel 90. The powers that be listen to that channel. I think their number is 1-866-748-5263. Make your thoughts known. Another option is to join the NASCAR Fan Council. Here's the link to join. Each year people that don't respond to their surveys are dropped as members. They take new members all the time. Tell them that you're ready to leave the sport over this if that's how you feel. Don't buy their tickets. Quit watching. Those are all ways to get your point across.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...discusses-chase-format-ford-ecoboost-400.html
"I always go back to thinking about how I ran and what I could've done, but looking at the event as a whole, I thought it was great for NASCAR. I thought the right guy won the championship and I thought it was good to have a mix of different seasons, if you will -- you had the guy with no wins and all the consistency, you had the guy with one win, a couple of guys with multiple wins, youth and experience. Everything across the board was represented and we got to see it play out."

"I thought those cautions at the end changed the strategy, but they were all legit," Earnhardt said. "There was a lot of stuff happening on the race track and it was an exciting race even without the championship battle involved, but I loved the way it played out. I think that NASCAR has got to be really pleased."

Exactly. The best of both worlds IMO.

Just a comment in general about all of the Chase hate..... Nobody's changing anybody's mind on here. We can either profess our like or dislike in the format and the reason's why. I mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. People can complain on here all they want about all of these things but that's not going to get you what you want. NASCAR's got a radio station on Sirius/XM, Channel 90. The powers that be listen to that channel. I think their number is 1-866-748-5263. Make your thoughts known. Another option is to join the NASCAR Fan Council. Here's the link to join. Each year people that don't respond to their surveys are dropped as members. They take new members all the time. Tell them that you're ready to leave the sport over this if that's how you feel. Don't buy their tickets. Quit watching. Those are all ways to get your point across.
I'm not sure about calling Sirius, they tend to extinguish any anti-chase sentiment pretty quickly on there, but the Fan Council is a good idea. Us just arguing amongst ourselves won't accomplish much, but voicing any approval or displeasure to NASCAR itself might make a difference if enough people feel the same way and complain about (or praise) the same stuff.

NASCAR: Defeated Logano still backs new Chase

Joey Logano still believes the revamped NASCAR Sprint Cup Chase format is good for the sport even though he would have been 2014 champion under the old system.
Had the original Chase format been retained, Logano would have denied Harvick by eight points. He admitted that it was hard to feel positive in the immediate aftermath, but that he still regarded 2014 as a breakthrough season for him and a positive one for NASCAR.

"It was an awesome experience," said Penske driver Logano. "This is the first time I've had a shot at winning a championship. It's the first time I've won more than one race in a season. It's been a spectacular year.

"I've a biased opinion right now, and I'm probably too close to the fire to comment much about how it went. As the car that scored more points than anyone in the Chase, it's hard to say you're in love with it, but I do think it was a good thing for the sport.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/110970-defeated-logano-still-backs-new-chase

NASCAR: Gordon voices support for Chase system
"I like it," he said. "I think that there are some potential improvements that could be made, but it certainly created a lot of attention, it has made it more dramatic and intense, and I think that was the goal.

"I don't like that we didn't make it in to the final this year, but if we had to do it all over again I think we could be there, now that we know the format and what you've got to do."

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/110927-gordon-doesn-t-resent-chase-system

Good read Bobby, thanks for sharing.

I like how the author of this article pointed out some of the false analogies between this chase format and stick-and-ball playoffs, as some seem to think they're one and the same. I can't think of any other sports where one win can lock down a playoff spot, where you can clinch a playoff berth on opening day, or where the 30th best team in the league can be eligible for the playoffs (well, college basketball, but only because they have like 350 teams).

Yes income is the key word. Ratings are up, income is up, seating in the stands is up, race sponsorship is up.

The drivers aren't going to say anything bad about the Chase and potentially harm their main source of income.

Several drivers have said some stupid things that bite the hand that feeds them over the years but they all got educated by NASCAR, team owners, and sponsors.

retrospect ??? article written after only 1 race into chase (chicago)......9 /18 / 2014 .
10 year low in viewership is still fresh.
Mark my words and feel free to quote me, ratings are not going to increase overall next year because of the new Chase format. Attendance appeared pitiful on TV this year. Next year will be more of the same.

No.
"...Several races have not just declined but hit multi-year lows. The Martinsville, Darlington, Richmond, Talladega, Dover, Michigan and Loudon races each hit at least a 10-year low in viewership..."

From here...> http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4606201-nascar-sprint-cup-2014-tv-ratings-fox-espn-nbc

Those articles always use figures from years ago in peak years to emphasize their weak points. You can twist and tweak 9 year ago figures, but that stuff is dead and gone. This year has been an up year overall and pointing out individual races might give the doomsayers a warm and fuzzy feeling, but it is an emotional answer to their plight instead of a factual one. Negative news, no matter if it is factual or meaningful always seems to get the most attention. May I remind the crepe hangers that you will have to be in it for the long run. TV contracts extend to 2024. That is ten years from now if you don't want to do the math. I'll be watching, good Lord winning and the creek don't rise.

Those articles always use figures from years ago in peak years to emphasize their weak points. You can twist and tweak 9 year ago figures, but that stuff is dead and gone. This year has been an up year overall and pointing out individual races might give the doomsayers a warm and fuzzy feeling, but it is an emotional answer to their plight instead of a factual one. Negative news, no matter if it is factual or meaningful always seems to get the most attention. May I remind the crepe hangers that you will have to be in it for the long run. TV contracts extend to 2024. That is ten years from now if you don't want to do the math. I'll be watching, good Lord winning and the creek don't rise.
Those were actually numbers from this year. Nice try.
Maybe you could explain the lack of fans in the grandstands during race broadcast. Also, maybe you can explain the reduction of once-full seating areas at many tracks.
Twist it however you want, NASCAR has consistently become less popular in the last decade. Ratings and attendance will continue to decline in and beyond 2015.
It's a fact that sooner or later you're going to have to accept.

...May I remind the crepe hangers that you crepe hangers....
Since I'm in a giving mood, I figured I'd also offer you an education in crepe paper. You can thank me later.

• Crêpe paper is popular for streamers and other party decorations.
  • Props and costume accessories can be made of crêpe paper. It can be soaked in a small amount of water to create a dye for Easter eggs, white cardstock, and other materials
  • Crêpe paper can also be used to make paper flowers, appliqué, and paper sculpture.
  • Crêpe paper is important as the backing for various types of tape, including masking tape and electrical tape.
  • Can be used in place of corn husks to make tamales.
  • In the former Soviet Union, undyed, unbleached crêpe paper used to be widely used for toilet paper
  • Used in recovery systems in small model rockets.
  • Crêpe paper is one of the main components used in costume building for Junkanoo the most popular street parade in the Bahamas.

Those were actually numbers from this year. Nice try.
Maybe you could explain the lack of fans in the grandstands during race broadcast. Also, maybe you can explain the reduction of once-full seating areas at many tracks.
Twist it however you want, NASCAR has consistently become less popular in the last decade. Ratings and attendance will continue to decline in and beyond 2015.
It's a fact that sooner or later you're going to have to accept.

Thank you I know what crepe paper is. Where you are lacking is when it is used in slang terms. This will help you to understand the term "crepe hangers"
I only need to explain the billions of dollar contracts for over a ten year period.

According to International Speedway’s statement issued Thursday, the company’s TV revenue in 2015 will increase by 3.8 percent over 2014, to $316 million. That means Speedway Motorsports and other track owners will see a jump of 3.8 percent, too, though the amounts vary, based on the number of races each company and track stages. International Speedway will receive $304 million in NASCAR broadcast revenue in 2014, according to the company. Through the first half of 2014, Speedway Motorsports’ broadcast revenue totaled $115.7 million. The most recent annual numbers show TV shares grew by 3.3 percent between 2012 and 2013, to $199 million, for Speedway Motorsports.

So despite all the well meaning worrying about weekly TV ratings and all the unfounded loss of racing fans due to the new chase, and the real concern for perceived loss of fans in the seats, Income has steadily increased.

Thank you I know what crepe paper is. Where you are lacking is when it is used in slang terms. This will help you to understand the term "crepe hangers"
I only need to explain the billions of dollar contracts for over a ten year period.

According to International Speedway’s statement issued Thursday, the company’s TV revenue in 2015 will increase by 3.8 percent over 2014, to $316 million. That means Speedway Motorsports and other track owners will see a jump of 3.8 percent, too, though the amounts vary, based on the number of races each company and track stages. International Speedway will receive $304 million in NASCAR broadcast revenue in 2014, according to the company. Through the first half of 2014, Speedway Motorsports’ broadcast revenue totaled $115.7 million. The most recent annual numbers show TV shares grew by 3.3 percent between 2012 and 2013, to $199 million, for Speedway Motorsports.
I'm actually not lacking anywhere ;)
I don't live in a slang world.
Nice numbers. You realize that ISC owned by NASCAR, right?
That would be like asking the Obama administration how the economy is doing.
How many tracks have reduced once-full seating capacity in the past decade?

Last edited:
Here's an easy one, even for you.
Why was The Chase implemented in the first place?
Straight from the horses mouth:
“We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race – all of which is exactly what fans want,” said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. “We have looked at a number of concepts for the last three years through fan research, models and simulations, and also maintained extensive dialogue with our drivers, teams and partners. The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup will be thrilling, easy to understand and help drive our sport’s competition to a whole new level.”
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...r-sprint-cup-championship-format-changes.html

Nascar ratings were going to drop regardless of the chase in my opinion... The sport peaked through the 90's and Dales death magnified that to the extreme. I am sure if you ask old school die hard fan they would blame the chase completely. But I just can't say that things would be much better if the chase never came to be. Just my opinion.

The one thing I will say hasn't helped is the constant reconfiguring of the points system.

Straight from the horses mouth:
“We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race – all of which is exactly what fans want,” said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. “We have looked at a number of concepts for the last three years through fan research, models and simulations, and also maintained extensive dialogue with our drivers, teams and partners. The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup will be thrilling, easy to understand and help drive our sport’s competition to a whole new level.”
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...r-sprint-cup-championship-format-changes.html
Wrong again. But you are getting better and faster with Google and your copy/paste skills are improving.
"...The publicly stated purpose for the NASCAR Chase system was to make the NASCAR mid-season more competitive, and increase fan interest and television ratings..."
From here...> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_for_the_Sprint_Cup

Nascar ratings were going to drop regardless of the chase in my opinion... The sport peaked through the 90's and Dales death magnified that to the extreme. I am sure if you ask old school die hard fan they would blame the chase completely. But I just can't say that things would be much better if the chase never came to be. Just my opinion.

The one thing I will say hasn't helped is the constant reconfiguring of the points system.

How come income is up? and a 8 billion dollar ten year deal? with two networks? am I missing something here? :biggrin: I agree with the sport doing what they call plateauing. But there is still such a strong market, many weekends it was the top rated sports program televised.

I wouldn't go so far as to say this year's chase was a failure, but I wouldn't exactly call it a smashing success either. I think it did gain some momentum very late in the season, but as a whole it didn't really move the needle much as far as bringing new fans to the sport, which was really why this format was put into place.

Back
Top Bottom