Cup RACE thread --- Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a "newer" fan to this sport, this is one of the more aggravating things about NASCAR...the rainouts. Seems to happen more often than not. It's terrible for the sport as people don't plan to watch a race over the course of 2 days or until 3 am. I have to work tonight at midnight. I won't watch the race tomorrow on my last day off before going back on Monday. Terrible for the sport as they hype it all up for 90 minutes and then wah wah wah wah (game show music). No other sport has the set back that NASCAR has numerous times a year.

Alright gents, I am out for a bit, going to go kill time at my club meeting, lucky its its less than a mile from me.

As a "newer" fan to this sport, this is one of the more aggravating things about NASCAR...the rainouts. Seems to happen more often than not. It's terrible for the sport as people don't plan to watch a race over the course of 2 days or until 3 am. I have to work tonight at midnight. I won't watch the race tomorrow on my last day off before going back on Monday. Terrible for the sport as they hype it all up for 90 minutes and then wah wah wah wah (game show music). No other sport has the set back that NASCAR has numerous times a year.
Rain delays happen in golf about as often as in racing. They happen more in the course of a baseball season since there are multiple games going on at any one time. It's frustrating, but weather happens. I assume you caught the fog delay / early finish at Pocono. Daytona had a forest fire delay several years ago. Stick around, you may get to see a snow delay one day; they happen too.

is it raining drops or men ok i'll stop lol
video-199701.jpg

As a "newer" fan to this sport, this is one of the more aggravating things about NASCAR...the rainouts. Seems to happen more often than not. It's terrible for the sport and people don't plan to watch a race over the course of 2 days or until 3 am. I have to work tonight at midnight. I won't watch the race tomorrow on my last day off before going back on Monday. Terrible for the sport as they hype it all up for 90 minutes and then wah wah wah wah (game show music). No other sport has the set back that NASCAR has numerous times a year.

While I think we might be able to race in light rain on flat tracks like Martinsville or New Hampshire, I doubt we could ever see it at a track with 28 degree banking.

Just part of the deal. I've had two races rained out this year and likely another one tomorrow. I also had the first round of the US Open washed out this year. Due to USGA and state police laws combined with shuttle bus logistics I never stepped foot on the course. It's just the gamble you take with sports that are heavily affected by weather.

I'm pretty sure there was a North Wilkesboro race 20+ years that was actually run 2-3 weeks past the original date because of weather. Yet, the place was still packed when they came back.

I make fun of BK, but they have made some small strides this year. I hope Burger King and Dr. Pepper continue to be patient with the team, they can really build a good team with more funding.

Just have to keep inching towards the front.

Oh great, the weather has moved in here, and now its messing with the satellite signal, Ive got a pixilated view of Rick Hendrick right now

In ref to golf and baseball......they will do both of those sports in the rain, to an extent. I've watched and played golf in the rain. And no one cares if a baseball game gets rained out...they play 5-7 a week.

My point is, from a marketing stand point, rain doesn't hurt baseball a bit. I have to think it's a killer to NASCAR.

Wish they would just call this thing. Would like to have a idea of when the race will be so I can figure out when I can play golf

In ref to golf and baseball......they will do both of those sports in the rain, to an extent. I've watched and played golf in the rain. And no one cares if a baseball game gets rained out...they play 5-7 a week.
I sure as hell don't care if golf or baseball gets rained out because I'll never know it happened :D

Hope it wasn't lightning with that lightning rod you're holding in your hands.

Here's an updated radar. The current round of rain over Bristol is about to end, but the next round of rain will reach Bristol in about an hour.

Bristol Motor Speedway is located within the (+) east of Kingsport.

Bristol Radar 4.gif

Since someone asked earlier, my radar source is Weather Underground.

https://www.wunderground.com/weathe...6.56750870&lon=-82.18275452&label=Bristol, TN

Below the radar, I check the "smoothing" box and set the animation to 10 frames. Sometimes, the radar loop will skip frames, so I have to refresh.

Oh great, the weather has moved in here, and now its messing with the satellite signal, Ive got a pixilated view of Rick Hendrick right now

I lost mine as the race was starting, even lost my internet. It's times like that I realize I am spoiled.

Hope it wasn't lightning with that lightning rod you're holding in your hands.

Because every time it rains, there's lightning close by....thanks for the advice. I wonder how all those pro golfers survive golfing in the rain with all that lightning around...or football players with that metal on their head, or soccer players?

I had originally planned on moving to Knoxville from Kansas this past month and would have definitely spent my Birthday at the race tonight. With the rain...I'm kinda happy that fell through with all this rain. Definitely more comfortable sitting at home than it would be sitting in all that rain.

Because every time it rains, there's lightning close by....thanks for the advice. I wonder how all those pro golfers survive golfing in the rain with all that lightning around...or football players with that metal on their head, or soccer players?
Football helmets aren't metal. They're plastic composites or Kevlar. They also aren't pointing or slender, which provides a better pathway for electron flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom