media members questioning talladega

I bought a new car recently and it came with Sirius XM, first time I've ever had it and I've always wanted it so that I could have NASCAR radio. I love it. I'll be subscribing once my free year is up just to keep that channel.

I don't like how the morning program babbles about a lot of non-nascar subjects, but I do like the hosts. Dave Moody doesn't sit well with me in the afternoons though. for some reason that guy cannot help himself from talking down to or mocking his callers when they call in with what he feels like is a poorly formulated idea or opinion.
Same here, Moody's about the only one on the channel I don't like. The morning guys are a little immature and I can only take Kenny Wallace on the evening show in small doses, but I like the channel overall.

I bought a new car recently and it came with Sirius XM, first time I've ever had it and I've always wanted it so that I could have NASCAR radio. I love it. I'll be subscribing once my free year is up just to keep that channel.

I don't like how the morning program babbles about a lot of non-nascar subjects, but I do like the hosts. Dave Moody doesn't sit well with me in the afternoons though. for some reason that guy cannot help himself from talking down to or mocking his callers when they call in with what he feels like is a poorly formulated idea or opinion.

IMO, Brad Gille and Kenny Wallace on the Late Shift, and Claire B. Lange anytime is worth the subscription. The morning deal and Dave Moody needs to go. I like the PRN race broadcasts, but cannot stand MRN. Bagley and Moody try to outdo each other as they scream into the mic about battles for 33rd. Terrible.

Same here, Moody's about the only one on the channel I don't like. The morning guys are a little immature and I can only take Kenny Wallace on the evening show in small doses, but I like the channel overall.

Does anybody like Moody? I mean, how the hell does the guy stay on the air?

I don't think so as if you had 20 cars they would still wreck big time due to how the plates make you race.

Fair point. When I wrote that I was thinking about the 2011 Indycar race at Vegas and how Dan Wheldon would very likely still be here if the field at 24-25 cars instead of 34. Not saying NASCAR is anywhere near having that kind of situation on their hands though.

The media has become the story, and the NASCAR media pretty much sucks. This is not good for NASCAR IMO.

Listening to the fans has taken this sport in a direction that has made it less appealing to it's core base and most certainly to a new fan base. This overreaction to last weeks race will pass like last night's burrito once something new comes along.

Bazinga! ... right there!

"Boo-hoo pack racing is hard and I might get in an accident doing it". Yeah no **** drivers, nobody said this was supposed to be easy! That's why we pay to watch you do it instead of doing it ourselves! Same thing in every other sport out there, except in NASCAR you can be an un-athletic fat ass like Kyle Busch, Stewart, or Newman and still win, so you're not going to get sympathy from the public on that front.

Not so long ago the fastest/handling cars were able to separate from the rest of the field. There was still pack racing involved, but they never ran in a pack for 500 miles like they do now.
That's a great point, there used to be several packs of cars throughout the field but now it just seems like one big 40 car cluster the entire race.

Look at all the scary wrecks we've had just in the last few years on the plate tracks: Danica and Matt on Sunday, Austin Dillon last July, Kyle Busch in the Daytona Xfinity race last year, Kyle Larson's engine going into the stands in the 2013 NW Daytona race, etc. Either a driver or a fan is gonna die at one of these races soon if they don't get a little more separation between these cars on the plate tracks.

"Boo-hoo pack racing is hard and I might get in an accident doing it". Yeah no sh!t drivers, nobody said this was supposed to be easy! That's why we pay to watch you do it instead of doing it ourselves! Same thing in every other sport out there, except in NASCAR you can be an un-athletic fat ass like Kyle Busch, Stewart, or Newman and still win, so you're not going to get sympathy from the public on that front.
Instead of doing it ourselves?

The LOLZ just keep coming.

Instead of doing it ourselves?

The LOLZ just keep coming.

If only there were some way for members of the general public to be able to drive a stock car around a NASCAR track. Oh wait, there is.
http://www.drivepetty.com/

The point is, the basic concept of turning a race car left for 3 hours isn't that hard to do. Anyone with enough money can do that after a few hours of training. What makes the sprint cup drivers worthy of our admiration and hard earned money are the other things; the fast lap times, navigating close quarters at 180+, the bumping and pushing to get ahead without losing it, and yes, doing it all with the fear of major injury or death hanging over them.

Us regular drivers couldn't do any of that. We probably wouldn't chose to take those risks even if we could. But once you dumb this sport down too far in the interest of "safety" you'll lose a lot more fans than NASCAR already has lost.

My objection to plate racing isn't driver safety. As others have noted, the drivers know the dangers of the career they've chosen. But the restrictor plate (or more specifically, keeping the speed down) isn't about driver safety in the first place. The restrictor plate is a cludged-up work-around for fan safety. That's why I view comparisons to driver safety at other tracks as irrelevant. It's about keeping 3500 pounds at 230+ mph from going through the catch fence and into the grandstands, protecting fan safety, but not coincidentally the safety of ISC's bank account and public image. ISC isn't willing to change the tracks so that drivers have to step on the brakes, so the plates are their solution.

My objections are to the side effects. Fast cars that can't pull away from the slow ones. Irrelevant qualifying sessions. Rules that differ from every other track - qualifying, engines, yellow lines, bump drafting, spoilers, etc. Drivers dependent on the cooperation of other drivers when racing and pitting. Being better positioned coming to the checkers from second place than in first. The near-inevitable wreck coming off turn 4 on the last lap. Most of all, the greatly increased probability that a driver's mistake will affect other drivers, far more of those other drivers, than at other tracks, because they just can't get the f-bomb away from each other without sacrificing competitiveness.

I've never heard anyone say, "Ya know, the plates produce such great racing at Talladega, let's use them on the 2-mile tracks, and maybe even the 1.5s!" I've never heard of a track applying to have its race run with plates. Loudon had it jammed down their throats for one race and ditched it the next time around.

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to this weekend. I've been saying this for years. If the characteristics I've cited are what you enjoy about plate races, more power to you, I guess. In this twit's opinion, the negatives outweigh the debatable benefit of the occasional surprise winner. Plate racing is lousy racing, certainly not up to the entertainment value of the non-plate races we've seen this year.

If only there were some way for members of the general public to be able to drive a stock car around a NASCAR track. Oh wait, there is.

The point is, the basic concept of turning a race car left for 3 hours isn't that hard to do. Anyone with enough money can do that after a few hours of training. What makes the sprint cup drivers worthy of our admiration and hard earned money are the other things; the fast lap times, navigating close quarters at 180+, the bumping and pushing to get ahead without losing it, and yes, doing it all with the fear of major injury or death hanging over them.

Us regular drivers couldn't do any of that. We probably wouldn't chose to take those risks even if we could. But once you dumb this sport down too far in the interest of "safety" you'll lose a lot more fans than NASCAR already has lost.
Educational.

Changes to racecars, driver's equipment and in-race practices and procedures made in the interest of safety do not dumb down the sport. If any of these things cause one or more "fans" to be lost, I will be unmoved.

ChjBtI7WwAAppuK.jpg:large

The media has become the story, and the NASCAR media pretty much sucks. This is not good for NASCAR IMO.

With stick and ball there is always fresh material due to the multiple games, high number of players, injuries, match ups not to mention trades and the drafts. Nascar doesn't have any of that sort of thing so IDK what can be spoken of that is just not a constant rehash of old material. Maybe that is why some media types are negative as most people seem to engage more when the subject is negative or can be turned that direction.

I can't prove this and I may be 100% wrong but there seemed to be more activity here when the racing sucked then now when the racing is good.

With stick and ball there is always fresh material due to the multiple games, high number of players, injuries, match ups not to mention trades and the drafts. Nascar doesn't have any of that sort of thing so IDK what can be spoken of that is just not a constant rehash of old material. Maybe that is why some media types are negative as most people seem to engage more when the subject is negative or can be turned that direction.

I can't prove this and I may be 100% wrong but there seemed to be more activity here when the racing sucked then now when the racing is good.
That's a good point, as there's usually one topic that comes out of every race weekend that gets beaten to death. The NFL talking heads have 16 games to discuss most weeks, the other three major sports have games almost daily, but NASCAR media just has the Truck, NXS, and Cup races to hash over for a week until the next race weekend.

A lot of us including the media probably got spoiled by the good racing we have seen sandwiched between the 2 plate races so given as good as things have been it only makes debacles like Sunday's look even worse. Nascar chits the bed if a fender is 1/1000 out of tolerance, preaches safety as if it was next to godliness yet turns a blind eye to cars barrel rolling, riding the fence, getting t-boned or getting turned into the wall at 200 mph. How does that make sense? How is that not hypocritical?

I've never heard anyone say, "Ya know, the plates produce such great racing at Talladega, let's use them on the 2-mile tracks, and maybe even the 1.5s!" I've never heard of a track applying to have its race run with plates. Loudon had it jammed down their throats for one race and ditched it the next time around.

I think I remember that Bruton wanted plates for Texas during the wicker-bill era because they produced such great racing. The closest i could find was this article that says Steve Park tested plates at Texas:

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/012401/pro_012401056.shtml#.VyjqR4QrK70

That said, I still agree with you that racing that produces 187 meaningless laps and one breathtaking one isn't so great.

"Boo-hoo pack racing is hard and I might get in an accident doing it". Yeah no sh!t drivers, nobody said this was supposed to be easy! That's why we pay to watch you do it instead of doing it ourselves! Same thing in every other sport out there, except in NASCAR you can be an un-athletic fat ass like Kyle Busch, Stewart, or Newman and still win, so you're not going to get sympathy from the public on that front.

There's some stupid ****** **** that gets posted on here but you, sir, have just taken the lead. Congratulations.

If you can't see the difference between driving a Petty car at CMS, which is slowed down dramatically, for 20 minutes and racing at 200 mph for four hours or even racing Late Models at your local short track, you just might be a dumbass. Anyone can get in a car and drive if they have money, doesn't make them any good at it.

Also, you should walk up to Ryan Newman and inform him about how he's an unathlethic fatass.

^ A repeat like button with a 25 click limit would be handy.

There's some stupid ******* sh!t that gets posted on here but you, sir, have just taken the lead. Congratulations.

If you can't see the difference between driving a Petty car at CMS, which is slowed down dramatically, for 20 minutes and racing at 200 mph for four hours or even racing Late Models at your local short track, you just might be a dumbass. Anyone can get in a car and drive if they have money, doesn't make them any good at it.

Also, you should walk up to Ryan Newman and inform him about how he's an unathlethic fatass.
Uh, did you read ALL of the second post you quoted? I initially didn't and started to respond the same way you did. You're actually agreeing with him.

Uh, did you read ALL of the second post you quoted? I initially didn't and started to respond the same way you did. You're actually agreeing with him.

Did you read his entire post? He remarked about drivers not being athletic. He said drivers shouldn't have sympathy over danger.

Yes, racing is inherently dangerous. That doesn't mean we should be okay with what happened on Sunday. I've been to racetracks and seen crashfests and been blinding mad because it's not acceptable.

I've debated this quite a bit on here, and don't want to get into it with Aunty again, but I do think there is an element in the decline in the sports popularity that has to do with the fact that drivers are now extremely safe. You might say "good riddance" to those fans, but acs has a point.

Acs has never had a friend or family member badly injured or worse while engaged in providing our entertainment.

Neither have you. If either of you had, you wouldn't see it the same way.

And goodbye has a different meaning than good riddance. Just so we're clear.

I've debated this quite a bit on here, and don't want to get into it with Aunty again, but I do think there is an element in the decline in the sports popularity that has to do with the fact that drivers are now extremely safe. You might say "good riddance" to those fans, but acs has a point.

Get back to me when you've had friends seriously hurt in racing crashes.

Get back to me when you've had friends seriously hurt in racing crashes.

I'm not one of these fans. I'm still here. I'm not saying bring back the danger. Just saying that when a panic is generated over something so minor as Danica's crash, it makes the sport look bad. Some risk is inherent in every sport. Football players face serious injury. Baseball players risk being hit by a pitch. Hockey players lose teeth nearly every game. Fans of those sports would laugh if they saw NASCAR changing rules because Danica Patrick got had either a very minor injury and/or hand the wind knocked out of her.

You can improve the safety of the sport without impacting the difficulty of doing the job. The two are not mutually exclusive. Roof flaps are a good example and are probably the reason nobody was killed Sunday, but they don't make it any easier to drive inches from other cars at 200 mph.

But what I've heard in the last two days goes beyond that, talking about slowing the cars down 50 mph, spacing them out, making it easier to drive these cars without wrecking. That's not ok in my book no matter the safety benefits. Didn't we just spend the last several years fighting with NASCAR to take away downforce at the other tracks and make the cars harder to drive? There has to be a better way.

Like I said before, driving in a sprint cup race is far harder than what us average joe's can pull off. That doesn't mean the drivers should be cut more slack, however. They are paid millions of dollars for a reason and as one that contributes to their salary I expect them to earn it. When an average unathletic bloke can hop in a Petty car and get up to 170 at Daytona after only a few hours, NASCAR should be working overtime to show how much better their top-tier drivers really are than the average Joe. The fact that someone not paid millions of dollars and training all their life can even get in the same zip code as the cup drivers is a big image problem. That's not helped in the least when they see drivers like Newman or Busch with the same build as most Dads. (note: NASCAR is not the only sport with this issue, Golf has this exact problem too, both with the level of play and athleticism).

One of the reasons people pay big money to watch the Big 4 sports in America is because they know the athletes are on a whole different level than they are. Everyone knows what would happen if you put LeBron James on your rec league basketball team. It wouldn't even be a game, it would be a complete slaughter. You could take any NBA starter and they would still beat you 1 vs 5 against your pick-up squad. Similarly, if you took a beer-league softball player and put him up against a major league pitcher, they would strike out every single time, they wouldn't even make contact. That's the difference between the top tier and everyone else in all other sports (except golf), several orders of magnitude.

Is that gap as big for NSCS drivers? Maybe, probably. But the sport shouldn't be going in the opposite direction solely because of safety. Especially when there are better options out there. Like I said, this does not need to be a mutually exclusive thing between safety and difficulty. Let's not make it that way.

I'm not one of these fans. I'm still here. I'm not saying bring back the danger. Just saying that when a panic is generated over something so minor as Danica's crash, it makes the sport look bad. Some risk is inherent in every sport. Football players face serious injury. Baseball players risk being hit by a pitch. Hockey players lose teeth nearly every game. Fans of those sports would laugh if they saw NASCAR changing rules because Danica Patrick got had either a very minor injury and/or hand the wind knocked out of her.
The "panic" is rather mild when compared to the indignant outrage expressed here and everywhere else when Kyle Busch suffered serious injuries a little over a year ago. The gist of the hyperbole was SOMETHING SIMPLY MUST BE DONE!

What segment of the fanbase was responsible for that and why, if as you stated in an earlier post ... the drivers are extremely safe, did those injuries occur at all?

The "panic" is rather mild when compared to the indignant outrage expressed here and everywhere else when Kyle Busch suffered serious injuries a little over a year ago. The gist of the hyperbole was SOMETHING SIMPLY MUST BE DONE!

What segment of the fanbase was responsible for that and why, if as you stated in an earlier post ... the drivers are extremely safe, did those injuries occur at all?

Kyle Busch hit a non-soft wall. We are in the process of fully eliminating non-softwalls from the racetrack. I'm regularly amazed at how close many tracks have come to being completely covered in soft walls. I agree the outrage here was less, because the "injury" was far less.

But what I've heard in the last two days goes beyond that, talking about slowing the cars down 50 mph, spacing them out, making it easier to drive these cars without wrecking.

Standard volume of bombastic hyperbole hurled everywhere by the fanbase about anything and everything. Apparently SOMETHING SIMPLY MUST BE DONE about quick-connect steering wheel couplers as well. NASCAR fugged those too.

If you ignore it, it's gone by Friday. Every week.

It's not just Danica's crash. It's Danica's crash, Kenseth's crash and Harvick's crash. And some of the others that took place as well. Don't forget that two drivers were seriously hurt at these two tracks last year.

Kyle Busch hit a non-soft wall. We are in the process of fully eliminating non-softwalls from the racetrack. I'm regularly amazed at how close many tracks have come to being completely covered in soft walls. I agree the outrage here was less, because the "injury" was far less.

A driver was seriously hurt in an ARCA race last year at Talladega. And he did hit a SAFER barrier.

Kyle Busch is fat????

On what planet??????

Back
Top Bottom