media members questioning talladega

I think this year was the first year I have not replayed any of the wrecks... I fast forwarded through all the wrecks and deleted the race before the checkers flew as I was that disgusted. I know the next day I read who won the race but I can't remember who it was....
Speaking for myself as a fan of Cup Series racing, I find it impossible to ignore 11.1% of the annual schedule. Too many story lines of importance. Four W's at stake, maybe my guy can get one of them. A handful of interesting and impressive youngsters who will either do well or not well. A Chase to be qualified for. And many other stories. I do understand not everyone here is a fan of Nascar racing. And those who are fans, are not all the same as me. I get that.

I hate plate racing as it is nothing at all like the racing that made me a fan, which is a hard-fought, head-to-head contest of driving skill and team execution skill. The 2016 rules package that applies for the other 88.9% of the races has enhanced greatly the quality of the racing, and raised the importance of driving skill in getting good results.

Before the RF meltdown, someone referred to plate races as requiring "a specific and idiosyncratic skill set." A brilliant characterization. These races *do* reward driving skills - that is why a few drivers win repeatedly - but they are not the same skills required elsewhere. Winning Darlington, Texas, or Martinsville has more in common with winning the Monaco F1 race than with winning Talladega or Daytona.

Despite my wishes, we have these races on the schedule, and it must be said that they provide drama and excitement. They are pure intensity. They are compelling TV. It is impossible to look away. I don't respect these races, they are not real racing IMO, but I am glued to my TV just the same.

Also I am glad to see Kez (my guy) get the win. He is an awesome plate racer. I would never choose a favorite based on his restrictor plate prowess, but it's a nice adjunct to his ample driving skills at places I do respect for skill-based racing such as Darlington, Texas, or Martinsville.

... They are compelling TV. It is impossible to look away. I don't respect these races, they are not real racing IMO, but I am glued to my TV just the same. ...
It's like seeing a favorite actor stuck in some two-bit grindhouse slasher flick, or hearing your favorite metal band cover "You Light Up My Life". You wonder, "How the heck did they get trapped into this s#!t?"

Reposted to fix formatting problem.

Speaking for myself as a fan of Cup Series racing, I find it impossible to ignore 11.1% of the annual schedule. Too many story lines of importance. Four W's at stake, maybe my guy can get one of them. A handful of interesting and impressive youngsters who will either do well or not well. A Chase to be qualified for. And many other stories. I do understand not everyone here is a fan of Nascar racing. And those who are fans, are not all the same as me. I get that.

I hate plate racing as it is nothing at all like the racing that made me a fan, which is a hard-fought, head-to-head contest of driving skill and team execution skill. The 2016 rules package that applies for the other 88.9% of the races has enhanced greatly the quality of the racing, and raised the importance of driving skill in getting good results.

Before the RF meltdown, someone referred to plate races as requiring "a specific and idiosyncratic skill set." A brilliant characterization. These races *do* reward driving skills - that is why a few drivers win repeatedly - but they are not the same skills required elsewhere. Winning Darlington, Texas, or Martinsville has more in common with winning the Monaco F1 race than with winning Talladega or Daytona.

Despite my wishes, we have these races on the schedule, and it must be said that they provide drama and excitement. They are pure intensity. They are compelling TV. It is impossible to look away. I don't respect these races, they are not real racing IMO, but I am glued to my TV just the same.

Also I am glad to see Kez (my guy) get the win. He is an awesome plate racer. I would never choose a favorite based on his restrictor plate prowess, but it's a nice adjunct to his ample driving skills at places I do respect for skill-based racing such as Darlington, Texas, or Martinsville.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom