media members questioning talladega

RP racing ain't going anywhere soon. Too many of us enjoy these 4 races a year.

Which is the problem. Fans would rather watch these races because they like manufactured drama and crashing more than racing.

Then turn around and bitch about NASCAR's manufactured drama with the Chase.

So.....most of the fans seem to value safety above all else and Nascar is all about safety so why do they support the potentially dangerous plate wreckfests? The wreckfests are used in promos and no one bats an eye. Do I detect a dichotomy and a paradox? Do I even know what that means if it means anything at all.

it was ok during 1995's Dover big wreck. Why? Because the owner's enjoyed spending money back then. Now owners view it as boring and pointless. Why? Because of the chase. David Reagan could win the championship. David Reagan is cool, but we get my point.

My objection to plate racing isn't driver safety. As others have noted, the drivers know the dangers of the career they've chosen. But the restrictor plate (or more specifically, keeping the speed down) isn't about driver safety in the first place. The restrictor plate is a cludged-up work-around for fan safety. That's why I view comparisons to driver safety at other tracks as irrelevant. It's about keeping 3500 pounds at 230+ mph from going through the catch fence and into the grandstands, protecting fan safety, but not coincidentally the safety of ISC's bank account and public image. ISC isn't willing to change the tracks so that drivers have to step on the brakes, so the plates are their solution.

My objections are to the side effects. Fast cars that can't pull away from the slow ones. Irrelevant qualifying sessions. Rules that differ from every other track - qualifying, engines, yellow lines, bump drafting, spoilers, etc. Drivers dependent on the cooperation of other drivers when racing and pitting. Being better positioned coming to the checkers from second place than in first. The near-inevitable wreck coming off turn 4 on the last lap. Most of all, the greatly increased probability that a driver's mistake will affect other drivers, far more of those other drivers, than at other tracks, because they just can't get the f-bomb away from each other without sacrificing competitiveness.

I've never heard anyone say, "Ya know, the plates produce such great racing at Talladega, let's use them on the 2-mile tracks, and maybe even the 1.5s!" I've never heard of a track applying to have its race run with plates. Loudon had it jammed down their throats for one race and ditched it the next time around.

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to this weekend. I've been saying this for years. If the characteristics I've cited are what you enjoy about plate races, more power to you, I guess. In this twit's opinion, the negatives outweigh the debatable benefit of the occasional surprise winner. Plate racing is lousy racing, certainly not up to the entertainment value of the non-plate races we've seen this year.

Exactly. Perfectly stated.

A lot of us including the media probably got spoiled by the good racing we have seen sandwiched between the 2 plate races so given as good as things have been it only makes debacles like Sunday's look even worse. Nascar chits the bed if a fender is 1/1000 out of tolerance, preaches safety as if it was next to godliness yet turns a blind eye to cars barrel rolling, riding the fence, getting t-boned or getting turned into the wall at 200 mph. How does that make sense? How is that not hypocritical?

Follow the money.

As I watch racing from a more grown up point of view I have discovered, that plate racing isn't all that great... I don't like watching wrecks so that leaves nothing else to enjoy about it with the exception of seeing how fast the cars can go. The only reason I like Daytona is because of the Daytona 500. Only reason I like Dega is the twitter drama that's bound to happen afterwards...

Don't tell @AndyMarquisLive but I think short tracks may be growing on me.

Funny how everyone is telling us Daytona/ Talladega race fans why we like it.

There are many reasons I like these races but it's my perogative to like what I like and really none of anyone elses business.

Don't like them? Tune out.

I know some people watch plate races for the wrecks because I have heard them say so but I think they are in the minority and I know you don't watch plate racing for wrecks whatsoever. Even though I don't understand what attracts people to plate racing it is not for me to say what people should or should not like and it ain't none of my biz!!!

I know some people watch plate races for the wrecks because I have heard them say so but I think they are in the minority and I know you don't watch plate racing for wrecks whatsoever. Even though I don't understand what attracts people to plate racing it is not for me to say what people should or should not like and it ain't none of my biz!!!
I knew you would eventually see it my way Skoal. :)

I like it for several reasons. It's a completely different type of racing that requires different strategy and skills than your typical race. I enjoy the close racing and seeing guys work the draft and constantly moving up/down the running order, depending on the choices they make. It's also fun watching the leader anticipate which lane he needs to be in, what maneuvers the guys behind him try and make to get by, etc. There are so many different factors that go into running well at a plate race, and I think it's fascinating to watch it play out. You can't make any mistakes because you will pay dearly. I don't look forward to the crashes; I think the wrecks in the last 10 laps actually make it worse because it disrupts the flow of everything and usually has a negative effect on the finish. Also, I love that the smaller teams have a better chance to run up front.

Most of all, I like variety. Daytona and Talladega are a nice change of pace. Short tracks will always be my favorite, but there's definitely still a place for plate races in Nascar. As long as they never stop working to improve safety, I think we're in good shape.

I like it for several reasons. It's a completely different type of racing that requires different strategy and skills than your typical race. I enjoy the close racing and seeing guys work the draft and constantly moving up/down the running order, depending on the choices they make. It's also fun watching the leader anticipate which lane he needs to be in, what maneuvers the guys behind him try and make to get by, etc. There are so many different factors that go into running well at a plate race, and I think it's fascinating to watch it play out. You can't make any mistakes because you will pay dearly. I don't look forward to the crashes; I think the wrecks in the last 10 laps actually make it worse because it disrupts the flow of everything and usually has a negative effect on the finish. Also, I love that the smaller teams have a better chance to run up front.

Most of all, I like variety. Daytona and Talladega are a nice change of pace. Short tracks will always be my favorite, but there's definitely still a place for plate races in Nascar. As long as they never stop working to improve safety, I think we're in good shape.

Very well said, you captured my thoughts exactly.

However I'm getting sick of talking about this and I'm ready for another one of my favorite tracks on Saturday.

I'm not one of these fans. I'm still here. I'm not saying bring back the danger. Just saying that when a panic is generated over something so minor as Danica's crash, it makes the sport look bad. Some risk is inherent in every sport. Football players face serious injury. Baseball players risk being hit by a pitch. Hockey players lose teeth nearly every game. Fans of those sports would laugh if they saw NASCAR changing rules because Danica Patrick got had either a very minor injury and/or hand the wind knocked out of her.

If you call her Dega crash minor, or the Cali crash minor, you need to have your head examined. Had it not been for safety barriers she might not be walking this planet today. However, the DP hating crowd are a crazy bunch,so I'm not surprised to hear this kind of talk.

Thanks for listing all the reasons and I am glad that you like it and look forward to seeing the plate events. I didn't mind plate racing in the 90's so maybe something will change so I will like it again.

Don't tell @AndyMarquisLive but I think short tracks may be growing on me.

She's seen the light.
jet.gif

I like that end of it, but he suggests the slow way is the best way. Which is absurd.
I guess if I was getting paid millions I would also. However I am a race fan so I prefer open them up and get rid of this wreck fest.You could also let the tire wear faster but then they never come in until someone blows a tire.

Like I said, you can't cure stupid.

Need I remind you that the coliseums were filled watching gladiators kill each other?

My one and only gripe about the race this past Sunday was that 41 laps were eaten up under caution. Roughly 22% of the race.

So I guess based on that you could say that I definitely don't enjoy the crashing. @2 Sweet pretty much summed it up. I think the folks on here that still enjoy the plate racing like it for all of those reasons. We aren't the type here that watch just to see race cars get destroyed.

If you call her Dega crash minor, or the Cali crash minor, you need to have your head examined. Had it not been for safety barriers she might not be walking this planet today. However, the DP hating crowd are a crazy bunch,so I'm not surprised to hear this kind of talk.

I didn't call the wreck minor. I called the injury minor. It was an impressive wreck. Try to read more carefully before criticizing!

Interesting comments from Dale Jr. in this article if you have the couple minutes to read.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Changes to Talladega racing could backfire

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...adega-restrictor-plate-cars-changes/83873332/

I skimmed the article but from what I picked up Dale Jr prefers the devil he knows to the one he doesn't. From his perspective I can see where he is coming from but I know there are smart enough people that can make the racing far more entertaining while increasing safety.

Things change and evolve over the course of time and maybe the current plate tracks have outlived their usefulness in their current configurations. The plate bandage has been used for decades and maybe it is time to rip the bandage off and do surgery to permanently fix the problem. Maybe the surgery should be taking away banking or maybe it should be a combination of things.

And while I am on my soapbox I have one more thing. To me it is the height of hypocrisy for people to be all for safety initiatives like pit road speeds and no racing back to the stripe yet they have no problem with the 4 races a year that promote cars going airborne, cars t-boning others, cars trying to knock down the wall or attempting to get into the seating area. It makes no sense at all.

From the perspective of casual fans, Daytona and Talladega are one of the last good things NASCAR has going for it. They provide exciting (maybe dumbed down, but exciting) racing, big wrecks, and down-to-the-wire finishes. Believe it or not, people like seeing cars flip. I doubt any of you have ever changed the channel during one of those breathtaking wrecks. The best thing about it now: we can have these spectacular wrecks with almost no risk to the drivers! I don't think even Brian France is dumb enough to kill this Golden Goose, though he is very susceptible to media pressure and knee-jerk reaction.

Interesting comments from Dale Jr. in this article if you have the couple minutes to read.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Changes to Talladega racing could backfire

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...adega-restrictor-plate-cars-changes/83873332/

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

I think this race was on the extreme end due to the threat of rain. If the threat of rain wasn't there, then the drivers/teams wouldn't have been so amped up from 40 laps in. I think you would have avoided most of the wrecks in the first 100 laps or so. Drivers would have been more forgiving. Instead, the drivers were amped up for 3 hours and probably lost most of their patience long before they normally would have.

Talladega 2, won't be as crazy as this race was.

From the perspective of casual fans, Daytona and Talladega are one of the last good things NASCAR has going for it. They provide exciting (maybe dumbed down, but exciting) racing, big wrecks, and down-to-the-wire finishes. Believe it or not, people like seeing cars flip. I doubt any of you have ever changed the channel during one of those breathtaking wrecks. The best thing about it now: we can have these spectacular wrecks with almost no risk to the drivers! I don't think even Brian France is dumb enough to kill this Golden Goose, though he is very susceptible to media pressure and knee-jerk reaction.

I think this year was the first year I have not replayed any of the wrecks and in some past instances I would actually watch some of the wrecks frame by frame so I could try and figure out what happened. IDK what happened this year but I fast forwarded through all the wrecks and deleted the race before the checkers flew as I was that disgusted. I know the next day I read who won the race but I can't remember who it was but it was a "name" driver.

In past years I have known several people who love the wrecks at the plate tracks and they may have only watched a half dozen races each year but they never miss a plate race. I don't think any of these people wanted to see drivers injured but it was probably never a thought anyway as seeing rolling billboards on wheels get airborne and land on top of other cars or completely shred after rim riding the fence was what was cool.

I don't think Nascar has a desire to change things up to prevent the yearly carnage more than they want to put off a vibe that they care about the safety of the drivers and fans.

I didn't call the wreck minor. I called the injury minor. It was an impressive wreck. Try to read more carefully before criticizing!

I'm not one of these fans. I'm still here. I'm not saying bring back the danger. Just saying that when a panic is generated over something so minor as Danica's crash, it makes the sport look bad.

Seriously?

Okay. I sincerely apologize to you. I didn't mean it that way, but apparently I did write it. I'll blame it on a bad mood regarding something that is better suited for the podium.

Daytona and Talladega are a product of plate racing, love it or hate it it's been like that for 30 years now. For some reason though Pocono and Watkins Glen always worry me more than the RP tracks.

Back
Top Bottom