The New Racing Team Alliance

I could be wrong, but I think that percentage is pretty average so far this year. Ratings are down big time.

I've stated my reasons on here many times, and those all lead back to Brian France at the end of the day.

These teams have way too much money invested in this sport to let France run it into the ground.
I think they will pick up and move, and it may be getting to that point. Irregardless, teams getting together to try to cut the rising costs is a smart move if it works. I know it would be hard to get a sponsor on the car when 35 to 40% of race time is covered by network commercials.

a couple of three of them leasing out engines to other teams who have beat them with those engines throws a wrench in that argument. But access a more open environment to technology will make the series more competitive. No use every team having to buy a shaker rig, or a full scale machine shop, or much cheaper to buy a chassis than have to hire people and build one if you are a smaller team. Many advantages to working together. Also little things like having the scheduled races in the same areas instead of zig zagging across the country, saves on fuel and equipment costs. i think there are many things that the team owners think that are not being considered by the Nascar brass before decisions are made.

Excellent response and insight. Well said.

Not sure I love the sharing of tech given my passion for TRD. The JGR/TRD relationship is built upon a JGR having access to the latest and greatest courtesy of TRD. Level the playing field for all, and the arrangement becomes less exclusive. I am being selfish here...Duh.

Competition is not an issue in NASCAR is it? Interesting that we would even be mentioning that the day after Amirola wins.....

Excellent response and insight. Well said.

Not sure I love the sharing of tech given my passion for TRD. The JGR/TRD relationship is built upon a JGR having access to the latest and greatest courtesy of TRD. Level the playing field for all, and the arrangement becomes less exclusive. I am being selfish here...Duh.

Competition is not an issue in NASCAR is it? Interesting that we would even be mentioning that the day after Amirola wins.....

It is more like group survival, something you aren't looking at. If teams can't compete, the thing you are complaining about the most, one team's dominance will get worse. Despite your chagrin about Amirola, his winning will keep a struggling Petty enterprises alive for a while longer.

Introducing the new NARL ( North American Racing League ) pronounced like Gnarl with two or three regional divisions allowing for additional racing in different locations. Western Division, Central Division, Eastern Division more racing for your viewing pleasure including inter-divisional points race's to make the race offs to the Championship winner take all derby at a neutral track.

I felt better about NASCAR attendance after watching the IndyCar race at Pocono.
yeah that whole series was almost killed off, it looks like it is on an upward slope, but nothing like it was years ago. Nascar isn't immune to the same thing happening and the old salts in the sport, Hendrick, Penske, Ganassi, Childress, Petty, etc. have been around for all of it, up and down.

It is more like group survival, something you aren't looking at. If teams can't compete, the thing you are complaining about the most, one team's dominance will get worse. Despite your chagrin about Amirola, his winning will keep a struggling Petty enterprises alive for a while longer.

I have no issue with Hendrick dominance--other than I want my Toyotas to kick their asses which they are not. There are others here who get pissed about that. I respect what they have done. I understand what you are saying, however, there are others here who feel differently than I do. No problem with Amirola winning other than my Toyota finished 2nd.

The big players risk giving up a competitive edge for a widening of the profit margin.

Until I see what their goal/intent really is, I'm not going to say much about this. I can see this going many different directions.

Sooooooooo, it we all help each other to access technology, there will no longer be a need for alliances? Hmmmm.....and when (if) you completely level the playing field, how happy are your manufacturers? Hmmmmmm.......

sounds like kaufmann is ring leader on this.
wall street guy.
strengthen owners leverage maybe ?
after sterling / nba crap ?

NASCAR needed a check on their ability to change rules on a whim along with a wake-up that the owners don't really need NASCAR as much as NASCAR needs them. Owners are much more difficult to replace than drivers, and this group includes all of the owners who matter.

NASCAR hasn't done an adequate job of controlling costs either, so I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner.

As someone else said, this worked out so well for CART.

Also, Jack Roush and Joe Gibbs wanting to cut costs? Heh. Roush went on ESPN and said he'd do everything he could to keep costs high in the Nationwide Series several years ago.

Until I see what their goal/intent really is, I'm not going to say much about this. I can see this going many different directions.
Yeah, this could end up several ways. CART, FOTA, FOCA...it's going to be real interesting watching this play out.

As someone else said, this worked out so well for CART.

Also, Jack Roush and Joe Gibbs wanting to cut costs? Heh. Roush went on ESPN and said he'd do everything he could to keep costs high in the Nationwide Series several years ago.

....Jack, Jack, Jack......said a lot of things that weren't true....still love him though, and NASCAR needs him.

NASCAR needed a check on their ability to change rules on a whim along with a wake-up that the owners don't really need NASCAR as much as NASCAR needs them. Owners are much more difficult to replace than drivers, and this group includes all of the owners who matter.

NASCAR hasn't done an adequate job of controlling costs either, so I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Owners said that in CART. Hello IRL. Hello split. Shame on Misters Ganassi and Penske if this should come to be. THEY were there, and THEY were responsible.

sounds like kaufmann is ring leader on this.
wall street guy.
strengthen owners leverage maybe ?
after sterling / nba crap ?

This. I trust Wall Street to look after my sport. Not.

Sooooooooo, it we all help each other to access technology, there will no longer be a need for alliances? Hmmmm.....and when (if) you completely level the playing field, how happy are your manufacturers? Hmmmmmm.......
I doubt the playing field could ever be completely level, but it could be better. IndyCar is largely spec racing but even they have manufacturer involvement with different engines and (starting next year) aero kits.

Phone Conversation:

<Phone Rings>
Mr. H: Hello?
Rob Kauffman: Hi Rick, this is Rob. Got an idea....
Mr. H.: Yeah.
Rob: Yeah, I was thinking of forming an alliance that would level the playing field. That means you wouldn't win as much.
Mr. H: Yeah.
Rob: Whatcha think?
Mr. H: Okay.

Doesn't make sense......Somebody's dickin' somebody.

I doubt the playing field could ever be completely level, but it could be better. IndyCar is largely spec racing but even they have manufacturer involvement with different engines and (starting next year) aero kits.

In order for the playing field to be better, Mr. H. has to give something up. You don't become Mr. H by giving **** up. This smells bad. I respect your IndyCar point, but I don't think that series has the connectedness to the showroom that NASCAR attempts. Different beast. Having said that, I like it, and wish Toyota was there.

who ya think been keepin mwr toyo team afloat ? ain't mikey !

Completely hear ya, and have NEVER, EVER trusted what was going on there. Who the hell comes along with that kind of cash, and says I'll save your ass?

Owners said that in CART. Hello IRL. Hello split. Shame on Misters Ganassi and Penske if this should come to be. THEY were there, and THEY were responsible.
Were they wrong? CART with Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti Green was bigger than the IRL.

hardly. both suckin on big tv contract teat next 10 yrs. symbiotic.

You think if the all the major owners left tomorrow FOX and NBC would still pay billions to broadcast Mike Bliss racing Michael McDowell?

Hell, they sell us on the idea that Danica is good, they will sell anything.

Where's CART now, and how was the attendance at Pocono?
It wasn't until 2002, when Penske and Ganassi moved full-time to the IRL, that CART was surpassed by that league. It got even worse when Andretti Green left after '02. Whichever league has the big owners is going to be the one with the most exposure.

Statement from NASCAR: "We are aware of the alliance concept the team owners have announced, but have very few specifics on its structure or purpose. It is apparently still in development and we're still learning about the details so it would be inappropriate to comment right now. NASCAR's mission, as it has always been, is to create a fair playing field where anyone can come and compete. Our job is to support and strengthen all of the teams, large and small, across all of our series and we'll continue to do that. NASCAR is a unique community with hundreds of stakeholders. They all have a voice and always will."(NASCAR)(7-7-2014)

It wasn't until 2002, when Penske and Ganassi moved full-time to the IRL, that CART was surpassed by that league. It got even worse when Andretti Green left after '02. Whichever league has the big owners is going to be the one with the most exposure.

You get what I mean....why did they leave what they had started?

Completely hear ya, and have NEVER, EVER trusted what was going on there. Who the hell comes along with that kind of cash, and says I'll save your ass?

guy w/ 13 digit "cash " ! more than any of tha other nascar owners .

Too early to tell what this may or may not mean. It's interesting, though. And Nascar clearly was taken by surprise.

You think if the all the major owners left tomorrow FOX and NBC would still pay billions to broadcast Mike Bliss racing Michael McDowell?

maybe .....might be better racin ......for viewers.
unpredictable winner every week......i'd watch !

You get what I mean....why did they leave what they had started?
CART going with an almost 50-50 split of international and American events, Toyota leaving for the IRL, the Firestone 600 debacle at Texas...to start.

maybe .....might be better racin ......for viewers.
unpredictable winner every week......i'd watch !
They'd be out of that deal in a heartbeat. No way they're broadcasting that while letting, say, CBS televise Danica and Dale.

Interesting. NBCSN just said NASCAR wanted this and has encouraged teams to work together for years to reduce travel costs and the like.

Back
Top Bottom