2016 Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Note: All times are ET

FRIDAY, APRIL 29:

ON TRACK
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 2:30-3:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:30-5:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 11 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series
-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

SATURDAY, APRIL 30:

ON TRACK
-- 10:30 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 12:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FOX (Follow live)
-- 3 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Sparks Energy 300 (113 laps, 300.58 miles), FOX (Follow live)

SUNDAY, MAY 1:

ON TRACK
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series GEICO 500 (188 laps, 500.08 miles), FOX (Follow live)

.... I don't get the plate hate. ...
I don't like seeing having a faster car actually being a disadvantage, unable to pull away from the field and stay there. I don't like drivers having to depend on the cooperation of other drivers. I don't like having to run in one big wad, increasing the number of cars that will be effected when a mistake is made.

All of these result from the restrictor plate, a spectator safety compromise at two tracks that weren't designed for today's cars and speeds, and that ISC refuses to redesign to accommodate them.

I don't like seeing having a faster car actually being a disadvantage, unable to pull away from the field and stay there. I don't like drivers having to depend on the cooperation of other drivers. I don't like having to run in one big wad, increasing the number of cars that will be effected when a mistake is made.

All of these result from the restrictor plate, a spectator safety compromise at two tracks that weren't designed for today's cars and speeds, and that ISC refuses to redesign to accommodate them.
Careful there, your last statement could results in a fine. ;)

I like the great equalizer of the plate. Some drivers excel at it while other don't. My driver being on the good side of that equation.

Also, these types of races have a greater potential for producing a first time winner. I don't mind seeing that either.

As far as safety goes, it is what it is and we all know the risks. Drivers know the risks. Heck, they don't seem all that opposed to running less than five lug nuts week in and week out. Camber be damned. Tire pressure too. These guys/gal take risks each and every week.

Spectator safety. Maybe if they turn around and see those empty seats up behind them, they'll make the move to a better location? I know that you'd never find me sitting down there next to that catch fence. There is a reason that it's so aptly named.

I like the great equalizer of the plate. Some drivers excel at it while other don't. My driver being on the good side of that equation.

Also, these types of races have a greater potential for producing a first time winner. I don't mind seeing that either.

As far as safety goes, it is what it is and we all know the risks. Drivers know the risks. Heck, they don't seem all that opposed to running less than five lug nuts week in and week out. Camber be damned. Tire pressure too. These guys/gal take risks each and every week.

Spectator safety. Maybe if they turn around and see those empty seats up behind them, they'll make the move to a better location? I know that you'd never find me sitting down there next to that catch fence. There is a reason that it's so aptly named.

So much this. The only thing Id add to it, is the NASCAR=speed. Speed=Danger. Motorsports is not something where the drivers are in bubblewrapped cars.

So much this. The only thing Id add to it, is the NASCAR=speed. Speed=Danger. Motorsports is not something where the drivers are in bubblewrapped cars.
That's why explicitly used the phrase 'spectator safety'. I'm not worried about the drivers' safety; well, no more than at the 2- and some of the 1.5 mile tracks.

I'm on the way from Charlotte to Houston and I'm only about 30 miles from Dega now. Damn, If only the race was 1 week later I could have stopped on the way back to Atlanta next week because we have next weekend off.:(

I expect my fellow Fan Council members will chip in to cover my fine. :D

Equalization? If I wanted that, I'd search YouTube for old IROC videos. If that's the goal, go all the way and mandate identical set-up. But it isn't the goal. Like most aspects of plate racing, equalized cars are a random side effect, not that NASCAR was aiming for. Consider the changes made to eliminate the 'tandem' style and minimize bump / slam drafting, I'd say NASCAR doesn't know what it's aiming for other than big wrecks. Everything about plate racing is a cludge, a field-expedient repair, a slap-dash wad of Duck Tape and WD-40.

First-time winners? Again, an unintended consequence of the cooperation mandated by plate racing. If I wanted to watch drivers cooperating, I'd watch F1. I have far more respect for Regan Smith's first and only win at Darlington slamming the door on the people behind him on old tires, than any one-time wonder from a plate track who had someone else push him to the line.

That's why explicitly used the phrase 'spectator safety'. I'm not worried about the drivers' safety; well, no more than at the 2- and some of the 1.5 mile tracks.
fans know the risks too. theres a reason that superr speedways are popular

fans know the risks too. theres a reason that superr speedways are popular
ISC isn't willing to risk the lawsuits, and I don't blame them. A lawyer will point to the negligence of the track that knows there's a safety risk, and say the injured party was a new fan attending his first race ever and was unaware of the risk. That disclaimer on the back of tickets doesn't stand up to legal scrutiny in a courtroom. That's why the lawsuits are usually settled out of court before coming to trial.

I expect my fellow Fan Council members will chip in to cover my fine. :D

Equalization? If I wanted that, I'd search YouTube for old IROC videos. If that's the goal, go all the way and mandate identical set-up. But it isn't the goal. Like most aspects of plate racing, equalized cars are a random side effect, not that NASCAR was aiming for. Consider the changes made to eliminate the 'tandem' style and minimize bump / slam drafting, I'd say NASCAR doesn't know what it's aiming for other than big wrecks. Everything about plate racing is a cludge, a field-expedient repair, a slap-dash wad of Duck Tape and WD-40.

First-time winners? Again, an unintended consequence of the cooperation mandated by plate racing. If I wanted to watch drivers cooperating, I'd watch F1. I have far more respect for Regan Smith's first and only win at Darlington slamming the door on the people behind him on old tires, than any one-time wonder from a plate track who had someone else push him to the line.
I don't know..... We are a cheap bunch.

IROC..... Loved that too.

Tandem, another version that I liked.

Bump drafting, yep, that too.

Even Regan Smith had to be in a position to win that day. No disgrace in that. I was happy for the guy. If that ends up being his only legacy, so be it. It's more than many of us can say.

I like seeing some of those back markers compete.

I was disappointed with Daytona, I hope this weekend is better.
I am one of the few that likes the pack racing but Daytona had no passing even with a drafting partner.

I hate plate racing because you sit through 3 hours of a single file parade for a predictable let down finish that ends under yellow. That's like going on a date with a girl and right when you go to pleasure town she puts her clothes back on. That's restrictor plate racing. All that build up to little pay off

The only time I ever loved plate racing was the tandem, the one thing that promoted better racing, passing, and truly gave the backmarkers a chance to compete. And also put it more in the drivers hands.

Talladega I Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2007 - Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet)
2008 - Kyle Busch (Toyota)
2009 - Brad Keselowski (Chevrolet)
2010 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
2011 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2012 - Brad Keselowski (Dodge)
2013 - David Ragan (Ford)
2014 - Denny Hamlin (Toyota)
2015 - Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (Chevrolet)

The only time I ever loved plate racing was the tandem, the one thing that promoted better racing, passing, and truly gave the backmarkers a chance to compete. And also put it more in the drivers hands.
I won't go so far as to say I loved it, but the tandem was the form of plate racing I disliked the least.

As much as people here say they hate aerodynamic dependency, I'm surprised at the number that like the ultimate in aero racing.

... IROC..... Loved that too. ... I like seeing some of those back markers compete.
I enjoyed IROC for what it was, but plate racing isn't even that. Plate racing makes no attempt to equalize the cars. Equalization just kinda sorta happens, maybe. They're definitely not identical, but the crew chiefs definitely don't have the same tools to work with that they do elsewhere.

I like seeing back markers compete when they're doing without the aid of crippled horsepower, someone else's help to push, and a wreck that took out half the field.

I enjoyed IROC for what it was, but plate racing isn't even that. Plate racing makes no attempt to equalize the cars. Equalization just kinda sorta happens, maybe. They're definitely not identical, but the crew chiefs definitely don't have the same tools to work with that they do elsewhere.

I like seeing back markers compete when they're doing without the aid of crippled horsepower, someone else's help to push, and a wreck that took out half the field.
I only wish you could like it half as much as I do so you could look forward to Sunday. ;)

Talladega I Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2007 - Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet)
2008 - Kyle Busch (Toyota)
2009 - Brad Keselowski (Chevrolet)
2010 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
2011 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2012 - Brad Keselowski (Dodge)
2013 - David Ragan (Ford)
2014 - Denny Hamlin (Toyota)
2015 - Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (Chevrolet)
Lotta no names in that freeforall list.

Yeah I get tired of the anybody can win argument. Like twice different guys won in 25 years, whoopidity doo

And before anybody brings up waltrip or Ragan they won multiple times at plate tracks. They were really good at this type of racing so not an upset

I only wish you could like it half as much as I do so you could look forward to Sunday. ;)
I probably only like a tenth as much as you. I still look forward to this Sunday, but nowhere near as much as the other 32 races on the schedule.

DanicaFreak said he didn't get the 'plate hate'. I'm just offering one set of reasons.

Something for everyone; this just isn't for me.

I probably only like a tenth as much as you. I still look forward to this Sunday, but nowhere near as much as the other 32 races on the schedule.

DanicaFreak said he didn't get the 'plate hate'. I'm just offering one set of reasons.

Something for everyone; this just isn't for me.
Tks Charlie didnt mean to set off a Sh!tshow but I really like superspeedways. Love road courses too...and short tracks. Im not a 1.5 miler fan but the new package is growing on me

I'd be more excited if I didn't know we will have a boring finish thanks to the stupid new overtime rule

I find it naively charming that you think there will only be 'A' boring finish, and aren't cynical enough to suspect multiple ones as I do.
Because there isn't even time to get up to speed before the line, I would be fine with the rule if it was reach the line on the white flag lap, so you would have a lap and a half not only a half

Because there isn't even time to get up to speed before the line, I would be fine with the rule if it was reach the line on the white flag lap, so you would have a lap and a half not only a half
I'd be fine if the rule was, 'When the lead car crosses the S/F line after the green flag waves, the race has restarted. There will be only one restart. If the yellow comes out, that's freakin' it.'

Actually, I'd be fine if the race ended at the scheduled distance, regardless of caution status.

Yeah, other than Kez in the Phoenix Racing car and Ragan in the Front Row car, it's been all the usual suspects.

Meh, anyone can win at a plate track.:sarcasm: And the win from Kez isn't all that surprising as James Finch was always pretty consistent when it came to bringing fast cars to plate tracks.

Last edited:
0139319001430924624_filepicker.jpg

Back
Top Bottom