2017 Daytona - Coke Zero 400 - Pre Race Thread

I put a pox on him and his household after he called another driver a moron last year. I am serious as a heart attack when I say that but I also thought it would work about as well as a sieve holds water.
I'm impressed by your effectiveness, but terribly disappointed that you blew your shot on a sports figure when there are so many better targets.

Obviously I'm a Chase guy, but seeing JR win the pole put a smile on my face. Really happy for the guy, I know that meant a great deal to him.

I guess there are some dinosaurs that still don't like Toyota, Nissan or Honda but of my 2 Toys one was built in Texas and the other in Kentucky and the one prior to that in Indiana. My last 2 Nissan's were built in TN and my neighbor's 3 Honda's were built in Ohio. There are several Mexican Fords and GM's out and about though.
Just a matter of personal preference I guess. My dad is 72 and he's a dyed-in-the-wool Chevy guy, that's all he's ever driven as far back as I can remember. I haven't had near as much brand loyalty, I've jumped around quite a bit between manufacturers.

Obviously I'm a Chase guy, but seeing JR win the pole put a smile on my face. Really happy for the guy, I know that meant a great deal to him.
With Jr on the pole, chase starting 2nd and Danica starting 10th I think this could be a pretty exciting race tomorrow if they can stay out of trouble.

Jr on the pole for his 'last' race at Daytona. All is right in the world.
If I mean when he wins tonight heads will explode!!!!!:headbang:

My $40 general admission ticket for the Xfinity race last night is good for the postponed Xfinity race this afternoon and the Cup race tonight. Other good news is I found a $5 parking lot just a short walk from the track. Can't say it is not affordable today!
Yahoo!

My $40 general admission ticket for the Xfinity race last night is good for the postponed Xfinity race this afternoon and the Cup race tonight. Other good news is I found a $5 parking lot just a short walk from the track. Can't say it is not affordable today!
Yahoo!
That is "lottery winning" stuff! Nice extra long day at the track and who cares if it rains?
Just go hang out where the TV's and bars are under the stands. I can't remember the
last time Daytona had a 2fer.

Yahoo!
Livin' the dream, baby; livin' the dream...

Although I don't know what it says about the ticket sales for the Cup race if DIS is letting the X ticket holders hang around at no extra charge. Also, I assume Cup ticket holders can get into the X race for free.

That is "lottery winning" stuff! Nice extra long day at the track and who cares if it rains?
Just go hang out where the TV's and bars are under the stands. I can't remember the
last time Daytona had a 2fer.
I remember one year there was a long rain delay before the start of the race and the opened all gates and anyone could just walk in. Apparently they didn't want to pay for the ticket takers to hang around.

I remember one year there was a long rain delay before the start of the race and the opened all gates and anyone could just walk in. Apparently they didn't want to pay for the ticket takers to hang around.
That's cool. Security still checks bags though I bet.

Livin' the dream, baby; livin' the dream...

Although I don't know what it says about the ticket sales for the Cup race if DIS is letting the X ticket holders hang around at no extra charge. Also, I assume Cup ticket holders can get into the X race for free.
That's cool. Security still checks bags though I bet.
Ha, ha...not in those days.

Here is a scenario that could be interesting to think about...If Dale Jr, Chase Elliot, and Danica Patrick were coming down to the finish line today side by side...which driver would you want to win? I think if Dale won there would be a lot of very, very happy fans because it's his last Daytona... and plus he is Dale Jr.:) But, I also think if Chase won there would still be a lot of very happy fans because it would be his first win in a Cup car, excluding the Duel race. I think if Danica won we would have some pretty excited fans... but I think we would hear every excuse in the book about how she lucked into it or that Daytona doesn't really count because it doesn't take any real skill to win there from the not so excited fans.:youliketh

Last edited:
I was hoping to see dale jr have a good weekend at this race... looks like I wasn't the only one. hope there are no conspiracies galore after this 400 miler...

Here is a scenario that could be interesting to think about...If Dale Jr, Chase Elliot, and Danica Patrick were coming down to the finish line today side by side...which driver would you want to win? I think if Dale won there would be a lot of very, very happy fans because it's his last Daytona... and plus he is Dale Jr.:) But, I also think if Chase won there would still be a lot of very happy fans because it would be his first win in a Cup car, excluding the Duel race. I think if Danica won we would have some pretty excited fans... but I think we would hear every excuse in the book about how she lucked into it or that Daytona doesn't really count because it doesn't take any real skill to win there from the not so excited fans.:youliketh

I would really like to see Chase win in most circumstances but in this case I would like to see DP win. Dale already has a bunch of wins and Chase should have a bunch in front of them but seeing this is likely DP's last year it would be fun to see her go out with a win at Daytona.

Your complain on never left. ;)

Hey now.....don't make me round up the posse....:D........and I ridicule.....I don't complain.....:)

Anybody?

<crickets chirping>
I'll try to kill a cricket or two..the easy one's anyway. That last article I read said they have 5? impound races. Don't ask me which ones and the article was on old one around 10 years old. But it was done to reduce expenses. Exotic lubricants were being used by the big boys and the other reason was the mega teams would set up the car to run qualifying, and after that would change everything around for a racing setup. I don't know what they do now, but we all know that they go to the back now if you make certain changes after a certain point before the race.

If I remember correctly, teams would use as light weight items as they could --- hubs, brakes, fluids --- anything that could be changed without
running afoul of the rules. Smaller teams just couldn't handle the expense.

yeah I can believe that like everything else in racing once it started and an advantage gained..I remember in the Trans am series they were acid dipping the whole cars sheetmetal to lose weight. Sam Posey said his feet went thru the floorboard on the Penske he was driving one time.

Better yet, just drive it off the showroom floor down to the racetrack.

7-11 car.jpg

Looking forward to another rain affected summer race in Daytona

I posted the reason the other day. In this thread, I think.
Yeah, but what I still don't get is why NASCAR is only concerned about qualifying set-ups at plate tracks only. All the tricks and gimmicks people have mentioned could be used at other tracks too, with teams then reverting to 'normal' race set-ups before the green. Why is impounding not considered necessary elsewhere?

There is a solid window after around 7pm local... at the moment

Yeah, but what I still don't get is why NASCAR is only concerned about qualifying set-ups at plate tracks only. All the tricks and gimmicks people have mentioned could be used at other tracks too, with teams then reverting to 'normal' race set-ups before the green. Why is impounding not considered necessary elsewhere?
Send a letter to NASCAR and ask them, since it's their rules. :)

I already explained that, you replace anything you go to the back. Last year or it might be this year, you have to keep your qualifying tires on the car besides. Last week one of the Dillions had to go to the back.."unapproved adjustments" probably was a penalty along with that.

Hope the race tonight is as good as the Xfinity race has been!!

dangit, I'm gonna be that fan right now... it won't mean that I like this stuff any less, after 23 years I think it's safe to say I enjoy this stuff... BUT, that yellow was held for a long period of time it seemed until the leader hit the "overtime" line...

I don't think NASCAR could ever "script" a full race... but I think it's more obvious these days, they are making crucial decisions depending on who is currently leading, and or who in some cases could be running second with a lot of momentum. Basically if any of you guys want to go on saying NASCAR decides as often as possible who they want to win, I ain't gonna argue. It's getting to a point where its hard to argue it.

I really thought car 88 tonight might the one who got some conspiracies rolling, IF that does play out as well... holy cow.

dangit, I'm gonna be that fan right now... it won't mean that I like this stuff any less, after 23 years I think it's safe to say I enjoy this stuff... BUT, that yellow was held for a long period of time it seemed until the leader hit the "overtime" line...

I don't think NASCAR could ever "script" a full race... but I think it's more obvious these days, they are making crucial decisions depending on who is currently leading, and or who in some cases could be running second with a lot of momentum. Basically if any of you guys want to go on saying NASCAR decides as often as possible who they want to win, I ain't gonna argue. It's getting to a point where its hard to argue it.

I really thought car 88 tonight might the one who got some conspiracies rolling, IF that does play out as well... holy cow.
I agree that the yellow certainly seems to have been firmly jammed in the flag stand.

I don't suspect them of deciding who wins as much as sometimes deciding they just want the darn thing to be over.

I agree that the yellow certainly seems to have been firmly jammed in the flag stand.

I don't suspect them of deciding who wins as much as sometimes deciding they just want the darn thing to be over.

haha! ok, I like the way you put it... but still, it's all enough to raise an eyebrow sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom