2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Well I guess the theory that the kerfuffle between Kyle and JLo was just what Nascar needed to attract people to the track and TV to see the series in action went over like led balloon.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Phoenix earned a 3.0 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down 17% from last year (3.6), down 21% from 2015 (3.8) and the lowest overnight in the 12-year history of the race (dates back to 2005). The previous low was a 3.3 in 2009, when it was still held on a Saturday night.

Keep in mind this year marked the first time that the Phoenix race has aired opposite the NCAA Tournament. Yet even by that standard, overnights were low. Last year's lone race opposite the NCAA Tournament, the Auto Club 500 from Fontana, had a 3.5 overnight.

In addition to setting a low at Phoenix, Sunday's race tied the fourth-lowest overnight ever for NASCAR on the FOX broadcast network (dates back to 2001). That does not include last week's Las Vegas race, figures for which never surfaced due to Nielsen delays.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/18964544/phoenix-tv-ratings

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Phoenix earned a 3.0 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down 17% from last year (3.6), down 21% from 2015 (3.8) and the lowest overnight in the 12-year history of the race (dates back to 2005). The previous low was a 3.3 in 2009, when it was still held on a Saturday night.

Keep in mind this year marked the first time that the Phoenix race has aired opposite the NCAA Tournament. Yet even by that standard, overnights were low. Last year's lone race opposite the NCAA Tournament, the Auto Club 500 from Fontana, had a 3.5 overnight.

In addition to setting a low at Phoenix, Sunday's race tied the fourth-lowest overnight ever for NASCAR on the FOX broadcast network (dates back to 2001). That does not include last week's Las Vegas race, figures for which never surfaced due to Nielsen delays.

:(:(:(

IDK what that means in terms of the number of viewers that tuned out this year but I am guessing it would be in the 1 million range.The good news is that viewership for males between 18-34 is up 1042.392%

IDK what that means in terms of the number of viewers that tuned out this year but I am guessing it would be in the 1 million range.The good news is that viewership for males between 18-34 is up 1042.392%
I don't always pay attention to these television numbers. I only post them because I know it interests a bunch of people on here but was that last number you typed reality? If so, that's awesome as it sounds like there may just be a future for this sport after all.

I don't always pay attention to these television numbers. I only post them because I know it interests a bunch of people on here but was that last number you typed reality? If so, that's awesome as it sounds like there may just be a future for this sport after all.

I wish it was true but apparently the numbers of fans 18-34 has been increasing. Overall I think it is still a very low number but at least it is moving in the right direction.

I wish it was true but apparently the numbers of fans 18-34 has been increasing. Overall I think it is still a very low number but at least it is moving in the right direction.
Well, that's a good thing cause my age bracket is not helping the desired numbers at all.

There was an article a while back that Nascar wants young fans cause they spend more on apparel tickets and other crap ill have to look for it.

I just read that the spring Phoenix race in 2016 had 6.6 million viewers and this years edition was down to 5.4 million. If this trend keeps pace there are going to be some very sparsely watched races on NBCSN this summer. I'm thinking Nascar needs to make some more changes.

The fan fest and hauler parade had a pretty good turn out yesterday. But there was something very weird happening when Kyle Busch's hauler went by...usually I hear a lot of boos, but the fans must have thought it was Dale Jr's hauler because it had the loudest cheers I have ever heard.:confused:

The fan fest and hauler parade had a pretty good turn out yesterday. But there was something very weird happening when Kyle Busch's hauler went by...usually I hear a lot of boos, but the fans must have thought it was Dale Jr's hauler because it had the loudest cheers I have ever heard.:confused:
People are starting to realize he has tremendous driving talent, even exceeding his exceptional ego and general "douchiness." The man can flat out drive a stock car.

Why am I reminded of the old saying about lipstick on a pig? :confused:
Lipstick-Pig.jpg

It would be great to know what the current percentages for the different age groups for Nascar are. Having the 18-34 age group up 17% is really good but what percentage of the total fan base do they make up and how many of them are there actually. The Phoenix race had 1.2 million less viewers so all I can guess is that a lot of people 35 and older didn't watch.

It would be great to know what the current percentages for the different age groups for Nascar are. Having the 18-34 age group up 17% is really good but what percentage of the total fan base do they make up and how many of them are there actually. The Phoenix race had 1.2 million less viewers so all I can guess is that a lot of people 35 and older didn't watch.
Can't find the 18-34 but the 18-49 made up 1.37m out of 5.39m last weekend.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-3-18-19-2017.html

Ratings falling are partially due to the way the races are presented, you know constant babbling from the commentators and less focus on the race car audio.Turn up the engine sound and less yapping.

The slide continues unabated.

Down 17.5 percent year over year. 3rd race in a row with large double digit declines.

Down 17.5 percent year over year. 3rd race in a row with large double digit declines.

I had tickets and didn't go. I bought the tickets before the announcement of the staged BS. I still haven't tuned in to a race this year.
I truly don't see myself watching any races with stages. Ces't la vie.

That's terrible news. I know it's not good to extrapolate trends too far over time, but the trend is disturbing. How many more years can the sport survive once the sponsors figure out they overpaid for "eyeballs" and start to pull out of the sport completely?

Back
Top Bottom