2018-19 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

Low to mid 80s, low to mid 60s. Normal mid October weather here.

After yesterday's flurries the fall colors kicked in today. Even the muted colors are colorful, especially with the morning sun highlighting them against some dark clouds coming in from the west.

It has rained ALL day long! It was 45* at 7 AM and is STILL 45*. Just checked the rain gauge --- I think it reads 3.5 inches. Not going out in the rain and look closer. LOL
And tomorrow doesn't look to be any better.

Crazy wind started last night. Blew trees down all over SoCal.
One poor girl was killed when a tree crushed her car. :(
Winds have calmed to about 5 mph now.

The high for tomorrow is forecast to be 44 degrees. I'm starting to miss those 90"s and high humidity...

A little is nice. 3+ inches is a bit much.
Just looked at the gauge this morning -- 7 AM --- added another 3 inches overnight and it's still coming down.

The news just said that the 2 major bridges out of my town are closed due to flooding. The Llano River is at 39 feet ---- flood stage is 10. Some LCRA sites have measured more than 10 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Flood gates on almost all the dams along the Colorado are open. Lake Travis, near Austin, has risen more than 10 feet since Oct. 10 ---- and may rise 10 more feet once all the water up here gets down there. It might actually be FULL for the first time in years!

Last edited:
Just looked at the gauge this morning -- 7 AM --- added another 3 inches overnight and it's still coming down.

The news just said that the 2 major bridges out of my town are closed due to flooding. The Llano River is at 39 feet ---- flood stage is 10. Some LCRA sites have measured more than 10 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Flood gates on almost all the dams along the Colorado are open. Lake Travis, near Austin, has risen more than 10 feet since Oct. 10 ---- and may rise 10 more feet once all the water up here gets down there. It might actually be FULL for the first time in years!
:eek:

From 10 last night, to 10 this morning --- just poured 4 inches out of the rain gauge.
One of THE major bridges over the Llano River here in town ---- collapsed.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

The drop down menus on the left side can give you an idea of what we've been dealing with.
Drop down to Rainfall last 3 days. The numbers will surprise you.

To give you an idea of how much water has come down --- Lake Travis near Austin has risen just short of 20 FEET in the last few days.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

The drop down menus on the left side can give you an idea of what we've been dealing with.
Drop down to Rainfall last 3 days. The numbers will surprise you.

To give you an idea of how much water has come down --- Lake Travis near Austin has risen just short of 20 FEET in the last few days.
Wow! So you get either No rain..... or All the rain in the world...Crazy!

Stay safe TRL . If your home is safe.....Stay at home.

Woke up to NO water this morning. Water company gets the water from the lake and now the equipment has
been damaged due to flooding. Saw the low water pressure last night and put aside a couple of gallons.
I DID get coffee this morning. LOL
Light rain is falling. More coming over the next 3 to 4 days.

Woke up to NO water this morning. Water company gets the water from the lake and now the equipment has
been damaged due to flooding. Saw the low water pressure last night and put aside a couple of gallons.
I saw some footage of the Llano river on the news last night. It was surreal.

Just saw some of the flooding on the news. You're far enough uphill from the river to be okay?

Did I hear right that it's 40 feet over flood stage???

Just saw some of the flooding on the news. You're far enough uphill from the river to be okay?
Yes. If the Lake Buchanan Dam gives way --- I might have a problem. But I'm pretty high and away from the river.

Did I hear right that it's 40 feet over flood stage???

Not quite right. Flood stage is 10 feet. The river rose to 40 feet.

Goes to show ya just can't trust the weather guessers.

Got tap water back this morning although at reduced pressure. Just enough to flush the toilet.
Has to be boiled for drinking, etc. Have lots of bottled water for coffee, etc.

Got tap water back this morning although at reduced pressure. Just enough to flush the toilet.
Has to be boiled for drinking, etc. Have lots of bottled water for coffee, etc.
Is it still raining, river still rising, dam holding?

Is it still raining, river still rising, dam holding?
No rain yesterday and none so far today. Expecting light on/off rain for the next week, or so.
Rivers are receding, dams are fine. The lake above me has 8 gates open to lower the level because of the
expected heavy rains further to the NW.

Flood gates are open here also, but that water is flowing down the Arkansas. The lake is around 18 feet above normal and Kansas runoff is starting to come in. Nothing like Texas though. I'll have a bunch more junk to clean up after it goes down. I just got two huge trees cut up down there from last year. :mad:

Lake Travis---- just above Austin is 20 FEET over the full level of 681. They have 4 gates open right now to release pressure. They may
have to open more later. If they open too many at once, parts of Austin will flood.

Let's hope the guessers are wrong for your area

I just saw your area on the news and It didn't look good at all. I hope the dam holds and they don't have to open the flood gates any further. Be safe and keep us informed.

I just saw your area on the news and It didn't look good at all. I hope the dam holds and they don't have to open the flood gates any further. Be safe and keep us informed.
I have only 1 dam above me --- Buchanan. They've lowered the water level enough to be able to close 3 gates. It's ready to hold more from
upstream if necessary. Lake Travis is at 144% capacity and still rising. That's the one just to the NW of Austin. So far, all the dams are doing
their job perfectly --- holding the flood water.
The bad part --- anywhere from 1 to 3 inches of rain expected next week.

I have only 1 dam above me --- Buchanan. They've lowered the water level enough to be able to close 3 gates. It's ready to hold more from
upstream if necessary. Lake Travis is at 144% capacity and still rising. That's the one just to the NW of Austin. So far, all the dams are doing
their job perfectly --- holding the flood water.
The bad part --- anywhere from 1 to 3 inches of rain expected next week.
Thanks. They didn't report on Buchanan just Travis and a couple of others.

Thanks. They didn't report on Buchanan just Travis and a couple of others.
I guess that's because Buchanan is out in the middle of nowhere, with not much around it. Travis can really affect Austin when they have
to open flood gates --- there are 2 smaller lakes right in Austin --- Lake Austin and Lady Bird.

To give you an idea of just how much water has come down the rivers ---
Lake Travis on Oct. 8, was at 659 feet above sea level --- full is 680.
Today, the lake level is at 704 and rising, slowly. A rise of 45 FEET in 12 days.
More rain is expected upstream, starting on Monday. Weather guessers say
it shouldn't be as heavy and sustained as earlier this week.

Still under "boil water notice" --- water company says they may be able to start testing on Wednesday. *fingers crossed*
Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. Had abundant SUNSHINE for a change, but the clouds moved in and it's heavy and grey
this morning. May have light rain today and tomorrow, but Wednesday the Pacific hurricane will have moved across Mexico
and into the Texas --- and will bring lots of rain. *sigh*
Only good news --- looks like starting on Friday, we'll start to get lots of sun and maybe dry out.

Just heard on the news that the entire city of Austin is under a "boil" notice because of the flood waters down there. No damage to the
system, just overwhelmed with all the dirty water and can't keep up the filtering and treating.

Highs in the high 60s low 70s, lows in the 50s. Cloudy with a few showers this week.

DAMMIT!! COLD! COLD! COLD!! Went outside to get the newspaper (yep! Still old fashioned and want to hold print media while I drink my morning coffee) at six-thirty and it was COLD!! Temperature was BELOW seventy!! Can't take much more of this cold weather. :( Hopefully, it will warm to the eighties as the day progresses.

Next thing is putting on long pants, undershirt and long sleeved shirts. Not quite time for flannel but thinking of buying some. Just in case. ;)

11 am and it's warmed up to a sizzling 44 degrees ! 26 overnight,,again.
FYI, Cabela's and Bass Pro are saying they're having a sale on flannel but IMO you'll do better shopping at Duluth, if you're so inclined..:).

Back
Top Bottom