2018-19 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

Except for Thursday we'll have absolutely beautiful weather this week and weekend for the Blue Angels final show of the season. It's the annual Homecoming Show and It's at the NAS instead of the Beach. Practice Tuesday thru Thursday with shows Friday and Saturday. It never gets old watching It.

Our first really bad storm of the upcoming winter season is starting to blow through. As grandpa used to say "It's a blowhard frog strangler".

Our first really bad storm of the upcoming winter season is starting to blow through. As grandpa used to say "It's a blowhard frog strangler".
Yeah, that's what came through Texas yesterday. Fortunately, I only had a little bit of it --- the Houston area and deep East Texas got the brunt of it.
Yesterday morning, I got up to a humid 72* with heavy, thick cloud cover. This morning, 49*--- not a cloud to be seen.

Yeah, that's what came through Texas yesterday. Fortunately, I only had a little bit of it --- the Houston area and deep East Texas got the brunt of it.
Yesterday morning, I got up to a humid 72* with heavy, thick cloud cover. This morning, 49*--- not a cloud to be seen.
We have tornado warnings, hail advisories, high wind advisories, extreme lightning warnings etc. It's just starting to move in and should be gone by 2 or 3 pm. We're ready for it though.

There were 2 EF-0 tornadoes here a couple of days ago, took out a lot of trees, some houses got minor damage.
Daytime temps are running in the 50's, won't be long till I'll be wearing my fur lined mogandies:)

Depressed? Think of this, somewhere in the world a fat kid just dropped his ice cream. See you're smiling already..

Doc didn't sugar coated it when he told my buddy he had diabetes

Looking at another chance of accumulating snow for Thursday. While it again wont amount to much, it will be our second snow maker of the season which isn't too common this early in the season.

And so it begins. :mad:

780e272446a89a42ce421525a4a41fb4.gif

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dpk, you are welcome to keep it. Texans have NO use at all for snow/ice/sleet.
It's 49* this morning, and I'm freezing.
My wife is originally from Pampa. It's 60 miles NNE of Amarillo. She moved here because the winter weather there is terrible. The ground usually freezes in early November and doesn't thaw out until March or early April. She goes to visit her mother in the summer only.

dpk, you are welcome to keep it. Texans have NO use at all for snow/ice/sleet.
It's 49* this morning, and I'm freezing.
We actually had a blanket of snow a couple weeks ago on a Saturday morning. It can be a pretty sight but it's never fun to drive in. Fortunately, I work from home, so I don't have to get out on these roads unless it's by choice. My wife, on the other hand, has about a 25 minute commute to work. She said that it was pretty slick out there this morning, especially the bridges. Soon we'll be getting some accumulations worth talking about. Each and every year, it takes some drive time to get used to it all over again. There are those out there that think they've got everything under control. They are usually the ones that you pass in the ditch. Everyone with a 4x4 thinks they are immune to weather. They normally learn quickly. Hopefully never at the expense of others.

Starting in December, commitments to family events will start taking me across the state of PA to Philly, NJ & NY areas. I live pretty close to Ohio. It's about a 5 1/2 hour trip for me across the state on a good day. Snow & ice can increase that time to an 8 hour drive real easy. It's usually a single file caravan driving across I80. The Pocono region is normally the worst but it's a beautiful view. What makes it real interesting is when the nor'easters hit. You hopefully travel ahead of those. Last year we were lucky to avoid a few that rolled through the NJ/NY area.

We actually had a blanket of snow a couple weeks ago on a Saturday morning. It can be a pretty sight but it's never fun to drive in. Fortunately, I work from home, so I don't have to get out on these roads unless it's by choice. My wife, on the other hand, has about a 25 minute commute to work. She said that it was pretty slick out there this morning, especially the bridges. Soon we'll be getting some accumulations worth talking about. Each and every year, it takes some drive time to get used to it all over again. There are those out there that think they've got everything under control. They are usually the ones that you pass in the ditch. Everyone with a 4x4 thinks they are immune to weather. They normally learn quickly. Hopefully never at the expense of others.

Starting in December, commitments to family events will start taking me across the state of PA to Philly, NJ & NY areas. I live pretty close to Ohio. It's about a 5 1/2 hour trip for me across the state on a good day. Snow & ice can increase that time to an 8 hour drive real easy. It's usually a single file caravan driving across I80. The Pocono region is normally the worst but it's a beautiful view. What makes it real interesting is when the nor'easters hit. You hopefully travel ahead of those. Last year we were lucky to avoid a few that rolled through the NJ/NY area.
Are you trying to say that a NASCAR Pocono race in December is out of the question?

Are you trying to say that a NASCAR Pocono race in December is out of the question?

They ran a cup race at New Hampshire. Nov 2001, iirc. They had street sweepers on call to clear the track of snow if need be. A buddy went and said it was cold as a bastard

It is colder early this year, 20 degrees this morning. I had to take out the down jacket (I usually don't pull it out until sometime in December). We got less than an inch of snow Fri and it is still covering the ground today (snow at this time of year usually melts). They say we've had the earliest cold snap since the 1950s - it has been below freezing for almost a week.

It's been storming here since late last night and is supposed to last until tomorrow night. We're getting sandwiched between two fronts.

Just a chill, light rain here --- since yesterday afternoon and all night. Heavy cloud cover, so the temp isn't bad, but the damp makes it
miserable outside.
Supposed to be around freezing tonight, clearer tomorrow with some sun but not anywhere near warm, the down into the upper 20s tomorrow night.
Already wrapped 3 of the outdoor faucets since I don't really use them --- the 4th is pretty well protected from the North, but if the rain lets up I'll get it wrapped today.

Woke up to abou an inch and a half of snow on the ground with 28 degree temps. Sounded like the perfect day to put up the holiday decorations.

Snow here this morn just flurries, a light dusting, supposed to get a few inches tomorrow night, then cold for at least a week.

25 last night, The high is forecast to be 39 today and 36 tomorrow. Depending on who you watch and where you live the forecast is for 1-3 or 2-4 inches of snow.

Summer straight to winter here also. No sign of fall weather at all.
Freezing here tonight and tomorrow night.

A good taste of winter weather here today. Just about dawn, we had sleet start falling. Lots of fallen dry leaves in the yard with ice pellets striking them makes quite the noise. This is to be followed shortly by about 3 inches of snow. Glad I'm not out driving in it but I've got to worry about the people that are.

21° at 6 am. 24° now and calling for light rain...doesn't water freeze at 32°?
Depending on the guesser, 1-3 or 2-4 of the white stuff is on its way

Back
Top Bottom