2018-19 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

Ice all day today so far with this ahead for the evening.

This Afternoon
Sleet before 4pm, then snow and sleet between 4pm and 5pm, then sleet after 5pm. High near 31. East wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight
Sleet likely before 7pm, then snow and sleet between 7pm and 9pm, then snow likely after 9pm. Low around 31. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Probably need to get the generator out for the power outage that is likely ahead. Not for that amount of snow. It's likely that the ice and winds will bring trees down on power lines. All the trees that I can see from the comfort of my home are covered with a fairly thick layer of ice.

Truck's getting covered in a layer of ice now.

26de16b0b25f7e25d948744d54fb69b5.jpg

We were supposed to get a coating to one inch of snow followed by rain. We are at about 5 inches of snow now and I think the weather people are in hiding.

Snowing now, started a little while ago and over an inch has fallen. the 1-3 and 2-4 is now 3-5 inches. 31 degrees so it's the heavy, wet ''heart attack'' snow

Made the right call on getting the generator in place yesterday afternoon. Lost our power about 2:15 this morning to the ice and snow. Running on generator power now. Got all the necessities in order. Internet on, check. Coffee brewing, check. Beer fridge a friggin', check. Looks like I'm all set. I'll worry about heat when the beer runs dry.

:cheers:

We got about 3 inches before it turned to sleet and then to rain. Roads are clear this morning but wet, snow covers our yards. It's 37 right now.
The way the guessers were hyping this storm you'd think we were facing a blizzard of Biblical proportions

Drove my son to work this morning. Many of the roads are closed around here due to down trees and power lines. I live in a pretty rural area and even at that there are over 30,000 without power in the county I live. I understand that many of the roads that are open are down to one lane in places to get around trees.

My view coming down my road this morning.

276ca2cd7bbe0076f81792f74f510f8e.jpg
6f13ab2b295ccbbd55c76fb27ab80208.jpg
c6b2bd88ff1ef0d6e21194f6d6167d14.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Drove my son to work this morning. Many of the roads are closed around here due to down trees and power lines. I live in a pretty rural area and even at that there are over 30,000 without power in the county I live. I understand that many of the roads that are open are down to one lane in places to get around trees.

They look like Christmas cards.

The internet is now down. Still have access through the phone but it's spotty. Still on generator power. Told it will probably be Sunday before power is restored. :(

My drive to work this morning....
06a930f20a0e0914b268cff8959bd3eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We got about 3 inches before it turned to sleet and then to rain. Roads are clear this morning but wet, snow covers our yards. It's 37 right now.
The way the guessers were hyping this storm you'd think we were facing a blizzard of Biblical proportions
Hyping? No, they said 2-4 inches Wed then upped it thurs night to 4-8, we got 6, pretty much spot on.

Generator refilled this morning. Looks like we're in this whole loss of power mode for a while to come yet.

Generators... Highly underrated devices. If you have the means, get one. You never know when you'll need it. Our power loses normally occur in the summer. Occasionally in the winter but never for an extended time. I ladde something new about powering our home every time I have to pull the cord on this generator. I can basically power everything in my home other than the electric hot water heater, electric stove & electric dryer. I can run the water pump if I shut down other unessential items. I'm going to run a test today to see if I can generate some hot water while still running the furnace.

I had thought about getting a whole house generator, a Generac natural gas fueled, a long time ago. But we don't lose power all that often and the longest period was just 3 days. So a 3,000 watt generator does me just fine.
While a generator is great getting the extended run fuel cap makes it even better. I've got two 6 gallon portable outboard gas tanks that I tap off of..

I'm pretty hardened, I have propane, so I have heat from a wall mounted heater and a wood stove, hot water and a stove to cook meals and cowboy perked coffee when the power goes out. I am at the second lowest on the water line 5 miles away, I have never run out of water and I have pressure when the rural water pumps aren't running. I bought some solar charged Luci lights that are amazing. It isn't uncommon to get a 6-12" snow and one time 24" which around here, nothing much moves for a while. Living in a steep valley on the side of the lake, it is all on us around here to get up the hill to go anywhere. They don't grade the hill. Tire chains suck but they work to get up on the flat.

NG fueled water heater. I know my limitations and someday I'll have my cuz who is a electrician tap into the circuit with a simple plug to run the furnace so I can run it off the generator. Until then the pellet stove keeps us warm.
No problems running kitchen appliances, just have to think a bit. No opening fridge door to GRAZE! Cell phones and a real radio keep us informed.
Inconvenienced yes but not a real hardship.

Had to drive to the top of the highest hill to post. Still no electric and now no cell phone service, from home anyway. 911 isn't even an option from the comfort of home. Generator still give us everything we need. The beer's cold and the food is hot. Can't ask for much more than that. :cool:

11 degrees right now, 0 wind chill. High of 24 forecast.
image-1-768x1024.jpeg

It's so purdy :laugh:

Beautiful, Pat. We have very little color around here. Most trees have gone from green to dead because of the extremely dry weather. The rain/flood
came too late to save the trees and give us some color.

Reactions: Pat
Beautiful, Pat. We have very little color around here. Most trees have gone from green to dead because of the extremely dry weather. The rain/flood
came too late to save the trees and give us some color.

Not much color going on here either. We had lots of rain but it was too warm.

A winter wonderland again this morning. Not expecting too much snow here. They're expecting about a foot of snow just north of us so we're pretty lucky.

2698f1543d13a99ba378e6f3ecc44559.jpg

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom