2018 Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre-Race Thread

But it did flip. What exactly caused it is kinda irrelevant. If it lands in the first couple rows of seats in tri-oval people will die.
No. the reason for the plate is because Bobby Allisons car went airborne without being touched. Cars hitting cars can sometimes cause another car to climb. Bobbys car had "lift" at over 205 mph with a car that was not nailed to the ground like these cars.

How about they just don't race thete anymore and replace it with a short track?
How about no? While I'm all for short tracks and would love to see more, it sure wouldn't be at the expense of one of the two more exciting venues in the circuit. If I were King of NASCAR for a day, the 1.5ers would be looking over their collective shoulders.

How about no? While I'm all for short tracks and would love to see more, it sure wouldn't be at the expense of one of the two more exciting venues in the circuit. If I were King of NASCAR for a day, the 1.5ers would be looking over their collective shoulders.
How yes because the excitement is fabricated by a piece of metal called a plate.

Plates reduced 1/64” and they still hit 203 in practice.

Good. The deal with McMurray was he got sideways, started to lift a bit, and would have likely (by himself) stabilized when the roof flaps engaged (due to the pressure effect creating downforce). BUT, he was impacted in the side by another car which pushed his car further up, creating the instability and roll.

I do NOT want to see drivers injured. But cutting the power down excessively with restrictor plates creates no power reserve to gain any advantage on the track. Lower the size of the engines and HP but remove the plates. That would be my suggestion as one part of an overall fix.

I do once again cheer the amazing safety built into these cars.

Good. The deal with McMurray was he got sideways, started to lift a bit, and would have likely (by himself) stabilized when the roof flaps engaged (due to the pressure effect creating downforce). BUT, he was impacted in the side by another car which pushed his car further up, creating the instability and roll.

I do NOT want to see drivers injured. But cutting the power down excessively with restrictor plates creates no power reserve to gain any advantage on the track. Lower the size of the engines and HP but remove the plates. That would be my suggestion as one part of an overall fix.

I do once again cheer the amazing safety built into these cars.
I've been saying this for 20 years.

My fear is a car at front of pack gets launched into fence then a following flipping car goes thru the damaged fence. If anyone has a way to control speed and separate the cars into several packs I'm all ears. So far they haven't figured it out in 31 years. Yes, thirty-one. 1987 was when plates were added.
The smaller plate is at the very least a "feel good" move by Nascar
Your CORRECT!!!! Haha
I expect a prize :D
Plates reduced 1/64” and they still hit 203 in practice.
Did they go that fast with the new plate ?

Wow.. something broke on the 10 car. Good save to keep it off the wall.

I love the track - but we’ll never get back to the early 70s. Plate racin’ IMO just blows.

I would rather watch a Cup race at Newton IA than ‘Dega

Harvick on the pole
mNA4dm.jpg

So many commercials. There were 3 commercial breaks in the first 10 minutes of qualifying. Ridiculous.

Drivers only?? Why do they need the other seats????????????

Normally don't watch the xfinity pre race tuned in today to hear drivers and saw end of cup qualifying. SHannon and Larry carrying on as usual. Not sure what happened, but that was a disappointment.

I agree, it's not racing when you have to rely on others for help to move forward. Then hope you are one of half the field that survives.
Plate racing has been goin on since 1988. 30 years..................30 years. Its not going away.

Plate racing has been goin on since 1988. 30 years..................30 years. Its not going away.
I realize that, and remember before they had plates. Doesn't mean I have to like them. No other form of motorsports has such a retarded way to "race".

I realize that, and remember before they had plates. Doesn't mean I have to like them. No other form of motorsports has such a retarded way to "race".
Its not retarded, Its racing. Its skill, its strategy, its speed. Racing doesnt have a single definition.

remember before they had plates. Doesn't mean I have to like them.
Same here. But it is what we have now, and it's not going away anytime soon. I just have to accept that I can't change it -- unless I become the head
honcho at NASCAR. LOL
What I do find fascinating about it is the constant chess game going on among the drivers. "Who do I go with? Who seems to have the best
car for me to follow/lead? When do I pit and with whom?" All of this going on at 200+ mph. Makes my head swim.

Back
Top Bottom