2019 Talladega I -- Geico 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

Nothing about this is 11th hour

The changes that I witnessed today were, they will not be tested until Sunday ... under real world conditions .......... and you know that. And yes, changes have been made at the very last minute at super speedways .. generally because some tinkering gave bad results.

The changes that I witnessed today were, they will not be tested until Sunday ... under real world conditions .......... and you know that. And yes, changes have been made at the very last minute at super speedways .. generally because some tinkering gave bad results.
Changes are made two fold, FIRST in the interest of safety, SECOND in the interest of competiton. These changes can be made on the day of the race if need be. The teams are under control of the sanctioning body regardless if you like it or not.

Changes are made two fold, FIRST in the interest of safety, SECOND in the interest of competiton. These changes can be made on the day of the race if need be. The teams are under control of the sanctioning body regardless if you like it or not.

Did the change that sped up practice speeds accomplish any safety measures ? You are so busy shilling for Nascar that you refuse to see my point :lol2:

Did the change that sped up practice speeds accomplish any safety measures ? You are so busy shilling for Nascar that you refuse to see my point :lol2:
You have no point. Do you know why NASCAR put the wicker on?

giphy.gif

Hilarious when people claim NASCAR doesn’t know what they are doing....Like everything that they do is perfect all the time. WishI could be that perfect....

Multiple Gear Ratios?????
That's freaking GREAT!!!!!
How long has it been? I truly hope this is something that they stink with and loosen up even more!!! That is racing! Taking chances!
The motor builders are worried? That's great too!!!! Bring it on! Who is willing to risk scattering that beast with 1 lap left while leading?

Reactions: Pat
I understand the testing ban to save money. However, isn't some perspective needed when drivers at hitting 204? I was under the impression that tech has put us in a position to anticipate performance. Clearly, what is happening wasn't expected. I don't mind the cars going fast, but if 204 wasn't anticipated, is it thinkable that a car could hit lift off and hurt somebody? There is no question that Sunday is going to be fascinating, and hopefully awesome, but there is a piece of me--maybe for the first time ever--that hopes and prays something horrible doesn't happen because our sport was trying to save money.

No worries there ...... I don't watch either series. I prefer Moto-GP they just race with no gimmicks

I enjoy (am enjoying WRC). Cars go as fast as they can, and then whoever goes fastest wins. Beauty in its simplicity.

I understand the testing ban to save money. However, isn't some perspective needed when drivers at hitting 204? I was under the impression that tech has put us in a position to anticipate performance. Clearly, what is happening wasn't expected. I don't mind the cars going fast, but if 204 wasn't anticipated, is it thinkable that a car could hit lift off and hurt somebody? There is no question that Sunday is going to be fascinating, and hopefully awesome, but there is a piece of me--maybe for the first time ever--that hopes and prays something horrible doesn't happen because our sport was trying to save money.
What happened to let them race??

What happened to let them race??

That's what will happen on Sunday, regardless. I don't know how the sanctioning body can feel that the cars are as safe as they can be with all of the tinkering, but I am choosing to be blindly trusting that Tinker A does not lead to something bad...but I am working really hard at trying to convince myself of that. It doesn't take much. On the anniversary of Senna's death, it is important to realize that a very small amount of air pressure in four tires took arguably the greatest driver in motorsport history from us....and F1 is all about tech, and these details.

Last edited:
Oy, this thread gave me a quick headache. If only some of ya'll knew what actually goes on in the 'mobile boardroom' during events. I'm a regular in the one in my world...and I'm meeting with a series president at our next race to go over some things with them.

Doesn't mean that NASCAR knows what they are doing, but they do it well.

Even i could have told them adding a wicker would increase speeds. It makes the 'bubble' bigger, reducing drag on the following cars, allowing to push the front car faster.

That's what will happen on Sunday, regardless. I don't know how the sanctioning body can feel that the cars are as safe as they can be with all of the tinkering, but I am choosing to be blindly trusting that Tinker A does not lead to something bad...but I am working really hard at trying to convince myself of that. It doesn't take much. On the anniversary of Senna's death, it is important to realize that a very small amount of air pressure in four tires took arguably the greatest driver in motorsport history from us....and F1 is all about tech, and these details.
So no don't let them race now. got ya.

So maybe Nascar is playing all the fans. I mean we are told over and over how smart they are and nothing unexpected is happening. The only answer then is they did this all to stir the pot and get the media talking. THERE GOING TOO FAST, HOLY CRAP LOOK AT US GOING TOO FAST.

So the changes they are making now are moving to what they intended to run all along.

Yesterday was just the guy out front of the circus tent with the megaphone getting people to think about NASCAR and tune in on Sunday.

Crazy...who turned him? Vickers in that car then? Mr. “Blocking is bs racing” gets himself turned....blocking. I’m sure it was the 55’s fault.
If I recall that was Waltrip

Blaney said with the runs this new package gives, that it is going to be real hard for the leader to block both lanes. ;)

Bring it on! A challenging set of conditions, great drafting, closing speeds, risk of motors blowing....

sounds like TALLADEGA!

Interesting.

Lets see how they adjust, I have a feeling its not going to be the cleanest Dega race, even up front there will be a mess.
Johnson said the air bubble is gone behind the cars since they added the wickerbill. ;)

It really doesnt matter if its 204 or 190, when the car rotates at that speed you will get lift, usually the flaps will keep it down but more often then not you get launced by another car and thats usually when you see them "fly". Dont let it worry you, the race will be exciting and typical Dega which will have me up early sunday morning.

Thank god. Pushing the envelope is what we need. Idc how much downforce or whatever you have going is, letting these cars max out is what is awesome

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass
Car chief Ryan Bergenty for the KuBusch car ejected as team has failed prequalifying tech twice. Looks like five cars still need to get through on second try. KuBusch car must get through on third time to be allowed to make qualifying lap.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass
KuBusch also will get 15-minute practice penalty for Dover for failing prequalifying tech twice. It was two different issues -- team failed spoiler angle and then rear deck lid height. ... this was the only penalty from prequalifying tech.

Back
Top Bottom