2020 Cup Series Camaro ZL1 1LE

Chad Knaus: ‘We’re better prepared’ for new Camaro model

“We’re more educated, we’re better prepared,” Knaus said. “What happened when we we brought out the new car is at the exact same time NASCAR changed the way they were inspecting the cars and employing the Hawkeye laser scanner, right? The older car, when it was designed, wasn’t really built for that. We had a little bit more leeway, we could have manipulated it let’s say just a little bit better to get some performance out of it. Well, with the restrictions that NASCAR’s put on us with the surface conformance all the way around the car, we didn’t have that ability.

“So that car was, it came out behind, does that make sense? With those rules, we weren’t able get on top of it.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/chad-knaus-william-byron-nascar-camaro-model/

Did they ever do any on-track testing of the new Camaro body?

Whats even different with the new body? It looks the same beside the nose is a little flatter

I seriously doubt there is a whole lot of money being spent that wouldn't have otherwise. They are putting new bodies on those cars CONSTANTLY, and if the new Camaro races better without them having to spend thousands of engineering hours trying to make it competitive, it might even SAVE money.

They will be a bone from NASCAR, and I think it will be significant so that they will be fast immediately. No question. A ****** Chevy is not good for the sport. A ****** Chevy after NASCAR's help is worse. I think that what NASCAR will give them will be so significant that...they will find speed immediately. I agree that it may save some money because I don't think they will have to look hard to find speed. If they don't, the Chevy program is in very bad shape. Regardless, it is comical that while parts are frozen, the whole freaking body is not....at least for Chevy.

Whats even different with the new body? It looks the same beside the nose is a little flatter

Wind tunnel data is different no question. They would not go through the expense for one year if they couldn't win the title right out of the box. No. Way. They will get something big IMO.

Chad Knaus: ‘We’re better prepared’ for new Camaro model

“We’re more educated, we’re better prepared,” Knaus said. “What happened when we we brought out the new car is at the exact same time NASCAR changed the way they were inspecting the cars and employing the Hawkeye laser scanner, right? The older car, when it was designed, wasn’t really built for that. We had a little bit more leeway, we could have manipulated it let’s say just a little bit better to get some performance out of it. Well, with the restrictions that NASCAR’s put on us with the surface conformance all the way around the car, we didn’t have that ability.

“So that car was, it came out behind, does that make sense? With those rules, we weren’t able get on top of it.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/chad-knaus-william-byron-nascar-camaro-model/

Yeah, complete bull****. Comical. Toyota's car came out pre-OSS. Remember? That's when Ford was given their bone. Then, Toyota went to work, and kicked everybody's asses. That's kind of what should happen, but Chevy is getting embarrassed, and NASCAR cannot live without Chevy. I get it.....but please Chad. Don't insult our intelligence.

Yeah, complete bull****. Comical. Toyota's car came out pre-OSS. Remember? That's when Ford was given their bone. Then, Toyota went to work, and kicked everybody's asses. That's kind of what should happen, but Chevy is getting embarrassed, and NASCAR cannot live without Chevy. I get it.....but please Chad. Don't insult our intelligence.

hopefully they have copied the Yota's at speed cheated up stuff.

hopefully they have copied the Yota's at speed cheated up stuff.

I thought the OSS already exposed US.....and then didn't. Do one of those post searches of yours....I'm sure you will find one from you yammering about that.

Did you ever stop and consider that perhaps with the tightness of the rules, the old car just was NOT FIXABLE? Sometimes the engineers get it right, sometimes they get it wrong, and when it comes to bodies, sometimes they are at the mercy of what the design department gives them to work with. So Toyota got it right. Well congratulations to them, give them a gold star. The Chevy, for whatever reason is NOT right, and the choice was to either let them try to fix it, or just tell Chevy and their teams they have to just waste their time and money for a year. If the shoe was on the other foot, the story would be EXACTLY the same. NASCAR wants all three of the manufacturers to succeed, and they NEED them to succeed, so as much as you may want to deny it, NASCAR would make similar moves if it was Toyota in the ditch. In years past, NASCAR would have just let Chevy make some spoiler or air dam or body height changes to cure an inequality, but the only remedy they give the teams now is to submit a whole new body. I've been on every side of this argument. As a Chevy guy, I was pissed as can be back in the early 90's when NASCAR approved what became known as the Yates cylinder head so the Fords could keep up. At the time, cylinder heads had to totally mimic the production counterpart in basic design. The Yates head threw that out the window, and within a year, it was the Chevy's that couldn't keep up, which led to them having to come up with a whole new non-stock based design themselves, which was the first step in allowing engines that bear no resemblance to production engines. In the mid 90's the noncompetitive Pontiacs were given a new nose that bore no resemblance to a factory car to keep them in the game. When Ford quit producing the Thunderbird, NASCAR for the first time in their history allowed a four door model, the Taurus. When Dodge wanted to join the party, they were allowed to create an engine out of thin air, just as Toyota was allowed to several years later.

As a Chevy guy, I was pissed as can be back in the early 90's when NASCAR approved what became known as the Yates cylinder head so the Fords could keep up.

Then, how can you not understand my point? You. Were. Pissed. Engineers cannot **** up the body. Chevy did. The blunder was not small. Huge....and they should be stuck for another year when the narrative is cost reduction. The optics are bad. This is competition. No participation trophies. BTW....MY Toyotas don't need a gold start, WE have the big trophies, but thanks anyway. If I was a Chevy guy, I would be massively embarrassed.

Then, how can you not understand my point? You. Were. Pissed. Engineers cannot **** up the body. Chevy did. The blunder was not small. Huge....and they should be stuck for another year when the narrative is cost reduction. The optics are bad. This is competition. No participation trophies. BTW....MY Toyotas don't need a gold start, WE have the big trophies, but thanks anyway. If I was a Chevy guy, I would be massively embarrassed.
- Changed the nose three times during the Gen 6 era.
- Couldn't build a reliable engine and complained up the ladder about adding tapered spacers. It was approved in 2015 and Toyota has been out front ever since.
- Complained throughout 2013-14 about being down between 50 to 100 horsepower at that time still grenading engines.

Toyota certainly received a golden start and they have nailed the chassis down ever since as well. Like you said, some get it right and some get it wrong. Toyota certainly got it right, but it took some time to get to that point in domination.

Ford and Chevy are playing catchup, for sure. Chevy had to plan the change sometime ago and NASCAR approved it, once again nothing wrong with the change which was within rule legality.

You can't pick and choose my man.

- Couldn't build a reliable engine and complained up the ladder about adding tapered spacers. It was approved in 2015 and Toyota has been out front ever since.
- Complained throughout 2013-14 about being down between 50 to 100 horsepower at that time still grenading engines.

Toyota certainly received a golden start and they have nailed the chassis down ever since as well. Like you said, some get it right and some get it wrong. Toyota certainly got it right, but it took some time to get to that point in domination.

Ford and Chevy are playing catchup, for sure. Chevy had to plan the change sometime ago and NASCAR approved it, once again nothing wrong with the change which was within rule legality.

2013, 15, 17, nobody changes noses faster in a shorter time span. :D They have changed the nose of their new Xfinity car twice already. What the newcomer to the series doesn't realize is that for years when one manufacturer has the advantage, Nascar levels the playing field. Now it was ok when they gave the Yota's a lot of leeway, but the Camaro had a nose that didn't work for the plate tracks and were dangerous for all of the brands to race around. The Fords were allowed to replace their genuine grill a few years back because it didn't work, it shattered and it wasn't aero at all leading to a competition disparity. So don't be whining and making stuff up.

-Nose changed to emulate production car.....2017 car introduced the production car. What a novel concept in stock car racing! Different deal.
-Tapered spacer stuff is speculative. I would be interested in a source, but I doubt there is one. If you can't provide the source, how about a discussion about whether or not spacers improve reliability?
-Source please on the bitching in 2013-2014. You won't find it. Don't bother. They were fast as hell in '13, and blew engines routinely. When David Wilson took over in '13, he intentionally detuned the TRD engines at Pocono I and beyond to work on reliability. In 2014, TRD was behind because of the reliability concerns in "13. It wasn't until Chicago '14, that TRD found their power and reliability (as evidenced by Kyle Busch hooting and hollering in glee over the radio).
-TRD out engineered the hell out of everybody, and nailed the '19 rules package. Competition. Chevy should be embarrassed.
-I didn't say that the new Chevy was illegal. I said it was hypocritical at a time when the industry is trying to save money as is the new/old low downforce short track package. Anybody really believe that they will just bolt on the old stuff, and go racing?

2013, 15, 17, nobody changes noses faster in a shorter time span. :D They have changed the nose of their new Xfinity car twice already. What the newcomer to the series doesn't realize is that for years when one manufacturer has the advantage, Nascar levels the playing field. Now it was ok when they gave the Yota's a lot of leeway, but the Camaro had a nose that didn't work for the plate tracks and were dangerous for all of the brands to race around. The Fords were allowed to replace their genuine grill a few years back because it didn't work, it shattered and it wasn't aero at all leading to a competition disparity. So don't be whining and making stuff up.

....nose changes consistent with production model changes.....Stock. Car. Racing. Wow.

....and Chevy won 13 manufacturers titles in a row. Leveled playing field. Got it.

.....leeway taken away with the OSS in '18. Search your own posts.

....Camaro was dangerous? Oh really. That's awesome.

....Damn, Ford sure did get fast in '18 with just that grill replacement. Lots of speed to be found in that area. LMAO.

-Nose changed to emulate production car.....2017 car introduced the production car. What a novel concept in stock car racing! Different deal.
-Tapered spacer stuff is speculative. I would be interested in a source, but I doubt there is one. If you can't provide the source, how about a discussion about whether or not spacers improve reliability?
-Source please on the bitching in 2013-2014. You won't find it. Don't bother. They were fast as hell in '13, and blew engines routinely. When David Wilson took over in '13, he intentionally detuned the TRD engines at Pocono I and beyond to work on reliability. In 2014, TRD was behind because of the reliability concerns in "13. It wasn't until Chicago '14, that TRD found their power and reliability (as evidenced by Kyle Busch hooting and hollering in glee over the radio).
-TRD out engineered the hell out of everybody, and nailed the '19 rules package. Competition. Chevy should be embarrassed.
-I didn't say that the new Chevy was illegal. I said it was hypocritical at a time when the industry is trying to save money as is the new/old low downforce short track package. Anybody really believe that they will just bolt on the old stuff, and go racing?
Looks like the Yoder boys mounted the left front fender lower than the right. Is that how they look on the street.

upload_2020-1-14_13-39-43.png

....nose changes consistent with production model changes.....Stock. Car. Racing. Wow.

All Chevy did was make a production model change. They used a different model of Camaro with a different nose.

.....Camaro was dangerous? Oh really. That's awesome..

When they tried to push someone on a plate track, it kind of WAS dangerous.

They let the Yotas take the bull nose off of Pinocchio in the Xfinity series for the same reason, it didn't work drafting.

Right. Uh huh.

Yes, right. Last year's car was the ZLI. This years car is the ZL1 1LE, which is a special performance version that can be added to all Camaro models and is listed as a separate model. The 1LE designation goes back many years in Camaro lore, and is a package designed to optimize track performance.

Yes, right. Last year's car was the ZLI. This years car is the ZL1 1LE, which is a special performance version that can be added to all Camaro models and is listed as a separate model. The 1LE designation goes back many years in Camaro lore, and is a package designed to optimize track performance.

Well, if they had started with that special version, they wouldn't be in this mess, would they? .....Or is it part of Chevy's secret master plan? The timing for this special model is very interesting isn't it?

Well, if they had started with that special version, they wouldn't be in this mess, would they? .....Or is it part of Chevy's secret master plan? The timing for this special model is very interesting isn't it?
didn't seem to bother the Yotas, they were popping front ends out like they were popcorn until they got everything on the twisted Yota jus right.

Yeah ... I can’t imagine manufacturers getting involved aerodynamically.

They’ve never done that before. :rolleyes:

didn't seem to bother the Yotas, they were popping front ends out like they were popcorn until they got everything on the twisted Yota jus right.

You are repeating yourself. You will be okay. Do you know if the zl1 has a different nose from the production model zl1 1le like the new NASCAR?

You are repeating yourself. You will be okay. Do you know if the zl1 has a different nose from the production model zl1 1le like the new NASCAR?
here Bud, ya want to talk about realistic noses, realistic cars for that matter. Looks like the more door has had quite a bit of plastic surgery. It still ugly as hell. but what can ya do with a 4 door to start with. Cheat it the hell up.:D:p

iu
iu

Ever hear of the Dodge Daytona, Plymouth Superbird, Ford Torino Talledega, Mercury Spoiler, Monte Carlo SS, Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 or even the recently departed Chevy SS? All special versions of regular production cars massaged to either gain an advantage or catch up to the competition in the NASCAR world. It's been going on for about 50 years now. Also, you can blame Chevy all you want, but NASCAR is the one that approved it.

Ever hear of the Dodge Daytona, Plymouth Superbird, Ford Torino Talledega, Mercury Spoiler, Monte Carlo SS, Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 or even the recently departed Chevy SS? All special versions of regular production cars massaged to either gain an advantage or catch up to the competition in the NASCAR world. It's been going on for about 50 years now. Also, you can blame Chevy all you want, but NASCAR is the one that approved it.

Yeah, I have heard of those, but they are not Toyotas, so it doesn't mean much to me. :D I am not blaming Chevy...they need a new car. I have a problem with the money savings narrative in the name of what is good for the sport, and NASCAR allowing something that is the opposite of saving money happen within the additional parts freeze mandate. Surely, you see what I mean?

here Bud, ya want to talk about realistic noses, realistic cars for that matter. Looks like the more door has had quite a bit of plastic surgery. It still ugly as hell. but what can ya do with a 4 door to start with. Cheat it the hell up.:D:p

iu
iu

Yawn. Camry looks awesome--even better in TRD trim of course while that thing at the top looks like Speed Racer hit 50.

I'm sorry, but I think the Camry is and always has been one of the LEAST attractive cars in its class. I always thought Hondas were far better looking. By the way, I'm not defending Chevy here. I am convinced that their designers are into recreational drugs with some of the designs they have come up with the last 30 years. They do something really great and then turn around and give us the 1990's Monte Carlos, the current Silverado and the C8 Corvette.

I'm sorry, but I think the Camry is and always has been one of the LEAST attractive cars in its class. I always thought Hondas were far better looking. By the way, I'm not defending Chevy here. I am convinced that their designers are into recreational drugs with some of the designs they have come up with the last 30 years. They do something really great and then turn around and give us the 1990's Monte Carlos, the current Silverado and the C8 Corvette.

The Camry design is complicated. I communicated with Ian Cartabiano who is the designer from Calty. He went aggressive, but I always wonder....with a design like that, were you trying to attract a younger buyer? I really don't see much in the promotional stuff that would indicate that. Meanwhile, it is hard for me to picture the typical Camry demographic in that car. It should be noted, however, that the non-XSE trims are more conservative, and that is probably what the traditional Camry buyer is buying. As I mentioned the design is very dynamic. Every angle gives you something different, and that is an indicator to me of a dynamic design. To your point, there are angles I like more than others. The 3/4 rear view is less impressive than others. Definitely not a boring design. I absolutely hate the design direction of Honda. Camaros are pretty cool I must say.

And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

This is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful wife. What thread is this?

Chevy Cup teams eager for fresh start with latest Camaro
Seven-time champion crew chief Chad Knaus, of Byron’s No. 24 team, recently revealed to RACER that the car is “significantly different” than what teams had been competing with.

“It’s a completely different race car,” admitted Knaus. “I don’t think that there’s a component that’s the same. Now that being said, there are NASCAR mandated shapes that are consistent through all OEMs.”

Knaus further elaborated that “every component of the car is brand-new, so the body, the body structure is all new, and it looks really sharp. I think it’s going to be a good-looking race car.”

https://racer.com/2020/01/17/chevy-cup-teams-eager-for-fresh-start-with-latest-camaro/

When they tried to push someone on a plate track, it kind of WAS dangerous.

Everything at Daytona and 'Dega is dangerous. If that car was fast everywhere else, Chevy would not have touch it because of this, and I think you know that.

Chevy Cup teams eager for fresh start with latest Camaro
Seven-time champion crew chief Chad Knaus, of Byron’s No. 24 team, recently revealed to RACER that the car is “significantly different” than what teams had been competing with.

“It’s a completely different race car,” admitted Knaus. “I don’t think that there’s a component that’s the same. Now that being said, there are NASCAR mandated shapes that are consistent through all OEMs.”

Knaus further elaborated that “every component of the car is brand-new, so the body, the body structure is all new, and it looks really sharp. I think it’s going to be a good-looking race car.”

https://racer.com/2020/01/17/chevy-cup-teams-eager-for-fresh-start-with-latest-camaro/

Just a nose? Naw.....all of that doesn't cost that much.

Back
Top Bottom