2021 Silly Season

In short, the RTA is not as successful as it was set out to be.

This is not a good sign for long-term viability and attracting new owners to NASCAR. I wonder what Bob was lobbying for? I'm wondering if Bob wanted the Next Gen car to come sooner than later?

No way GBR is the next TRD team. I doubt without more help from Toyota they are able to do it. Realize they are a part-time team doing a full schedule, it would be a massive turn around for them to do that.

Not to mention, Suarez would probably get left hanging again. The wild thing to me is that LFR did not sell any of the chassis and are giving them back to JGR at the end of the season. This whole situation is wild to me, I could see CGR getting a third car, but with Kurt being on a deal with Monster on a year to year basis would it be financially viable for CGR to do that? They have been inconsistent speed wise, I'm not sure adding a third will help the situation.
Kurt’s extension is believed to be through 2021, and he’s said he wants to race the NexGen car. Someone might get squeezed at Ganassi soon if they acquire Bubba.

TRD would need to give GBR a lot but it depends on how strongly they want to keep both Bell and Jones. If they are high on both still, is that investment something they’re willing to make? I don’t know where else you’d go right now.

The fact that the initial cash outlay for a whole new fleet of cars in the next two years is going to be significant will play a factor in all of this too. It should be a cost savings in the long run but there’s a ton to budget for to build everything up.

In short, the RTA is not as successful as it was set out to be.

This is not a good sign for long-term viability and attracting new owners to NASCAR. I wonder what Bob was lobbying for? I'm wondering if Bob wanted the Next Gen car to come sooner than later?
Sooner I think, he could manage some costs with those new bodies being more durable. Having to pay JGR for cars another year sounds to me like it was his deciding factor.

Kurt’s extension is believed to be through 2021, and he’s said he wants to race the NexGen car. Someone might get squeezed at Ganassi soon if they acquire Bubba.

TRD would need to give GBR a lot but it depends on how strongly they want to keep both Bell and Jones. If they are high on both still, is that investment something they’re willing to make? I don’t know where else you’d go right now.

The fact that the initial cash outlay for a whole new fleet of cars in the next two years is going to be significant will play a factor in all of this too. It should be a cost savings in the long run but there’s a ton to budget for to build everything up.
I am assuming when Levine signed on they expected next year to be the next generation. Paying the costs to JGR for another year and having their driver may be to much.

The pandemic hit Bob's company extremely hard, lets face it. As a construction/land developer, I can imagine all of this has done a number on his bottom line.

Also, lets remember that there is supposed to be a limit on chassis and a development freeze at this moment. Leavine bought into a very expensive deal teaming with JGR/TRD and the pandemic hits... It just such unfortunate timing for the Leavine family. It has been so much fun to see this team build, but I unfortunately it did not work out in the end.

Bob was still putting the most money into the team with his sponsor, even with Rheem/Rudd and Germania insurance signed on this year... It still wasn't enough because the team still had 11 races to sell for the season, so all of this just sucks completely.

It's official, I wish Bob the best man. I hate to see this happen:

Gibbs Alliance Kiss Of Death.gif

NASCAR really needs to give up on the charter system.
I'd love to hear your logic or rationale for blaming Leavine's decision on the charter system. LFR's revenue was boosted substantially by the charter system versus what it would have been before charters. Obviously, it wasn't enough to completely bridge LFR's gap, but still....

I'd love to hear your logic or rationale for blaming Leavine's decision on the charter system. LFR's revenue was boosted substantially by the charter system versus what it would have been before charters. Obviously, it wasn't enough to completely bridge LFR's gap, but still....
How do we know this though? This is something I would want to see to get an idea of the difference in payout between a chartered and non-chartered team in Cup. Like a before and after type of situation to show statistically that is has been viable for teams.

Leavine questioned the business model, at the same time how many other owners would be willing to speak up about it?

One would think that this is the first time a Cup team owner sold out and moved on.

This outfit won't be the only one lost to the pandemic.

If you are relying on someone else to supply your driver, cars, and manpower and you have to pay their prices, what do you really have? Maybe a building, some tools. You are at their mercy. Teams that are building and buying their own stuff or buying used, won't have the best pieces, but they have a much lower overhead and much better profit and loss statements. I remember when Leavine was all hopped up on moving to Toyota, "got a better deal" While on the other hand McDowell moves to Front Row, is ranked 20th compared to Bell who is behind in 23. There is no way in hell Jenkins has the overhead that Leavine is forced to pay. I don't think Leavine has any business model to blame, he saw stars and was sold blue sky and he fell for it hook line and sinker. Should have talked to Barney first.

Wow that charter system is really keeping teams in the sport. Just remember the guy that pushed so hard for them, rob kauffman, is the only one that benefited from it.

The most impressive thing is that he somehow convinced all the other owners that they needed this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow that charter system is really keeping teams in the sport. Just remember the guy that pushed so hard for them, rob kauffman, is the only one that benefited from it.

The most impressive thing is that he somehow convinced all the other owners that they needed this

The charter system doesn't guarantee success although some think it should somehow.

The charter system doesn't guarantee success although some think it should somehow.
Well without it it almost guarantees failure. You realize the business model is so bad that if you don't have a charter you can't make it work. Right now they can't even get 40 cars, so that means with no practice or qualifying all you literally have to do is show up with a car that passes tech (no speed) and guys still cant make the dollars work.

If you are relying on someone else to supply your driver, cars, and manpower and you have to pay their prices, what do you really have? Maybe a building, some tools. You are at their mercy. Teams that are building and buying their own stuff or buying used, won't have the best pieces, but they have a much lower overhead and much better profit and loss statements. I remember when Leavine was all hopped up on moving to Toyota, "got a better deal" While on the other hand McDowell moves to Front Row, is ranked 20th compared to Bell who is behind in 23. There is no way in hell Jenkins has the overhead that Leavine is forced to pay. I don't think Leavine has any business model to blame, he saw stars and was sold blue sky and he fell for it hook line and sinker. Should have talked to Barney first.
Maybe he did and saw that big, shiny trophy that Barney has.

Well without it it almost guarantees failure. You realize the business model is so bad that if you don't have a charter you can't make it work. Right now they can't even get 40 cars, so that means with no practice or qualifying all you literally have to do is show up with a car that passes tech (no speed) and guys still cant make the dollars work.

I almost want them to go back to "start and park." At least then there'd be 2 or so fewer Starcom/RWR cautions a race. But, there'd also be a lead change or two fewer due to not getting stuck behind one of those cars at an inopportune time and allowing trailing car to get a run. (I'm only kidding, that scenario has only happened a couple times this season.)

The Gaunt Brothers fortunately have Suarez's sponsors even after not qualifying for the 500 and no charter in their possession... They are making it work on a week to week basis.

I hope they get a charter soon. Rick Ware has so many charters, but I guess that's how he makes it all work for himself in the end.

Could you expand on that? I think Joey is off his game a bit considering he has wolf.
All in all I think Penske is #1 in Nascar this year with all 4 cars running pretty good.
No other 3 or 4 car team is doing as well. IMO

agree with all of this they the top team and joey has been missing something since they came back from covid. still blows my mind brad had to settle for a 1 year deal when blaney gets the multi year especially when all signs point to his under achieving as the reason for the CC swap, now brad is about to match blaneys whole career wins this season with the CC that they blamed for his performance.

agree with all of this they the top team and joey has been missing something since they came back from covid. still blows my mind brad had to settle for a 1 year deal when blaney gets the multi year especially when all signs point to his under achieving as the reason for the CC swap, now brad is about to match blaneys whole career wins this season with the CC that they blamed for his performance.
My guess it is about money, it usually always is. My guess is that Penske probably paid Brad's price, BUT Penske isn't going multiyear for that much with the economy being as it is.

Welcome to the board. I'm not surprised that Blaney got his contract done quick and easy. He is a quality driver and is probably getting "young gun" type money... better than rookie wages but less than "superstar" paygrades. It's inherently tougher to complete Brad's deal as he is paid a lot more, and is a lot more assertive in negotiations. No surprise there.

Blaney got a new contract. Brad got an extension to his existing contract. To me that means Penske didn't want to agree to the terms being asked in a new contract.
They must have come to some kind of an agreement to just get an extension.

Blaney got a new contract. Brad got an extension to his existing contract. To me that means Penske didn't want to agree to the terms being asked in a new contract.
They must have come to some kind of an agreement to just get an extension.
They are both contracts. Both are new. You can't sign a one year contract when you had a multi year contract and it be the same.

Is that your way of saying "Your Right"?
nope. it's my way of saying terminology and what really it is are two different things. Brad didn't sign an old contract, the terms of length were changed and no telling what else. So it's a new contract, but on the other hand the term contract extension can be used to describe it.

nope. it's my way of saying terminology and what really it is are two different things. Brad didn't sign an old contract, the terms of length were changed and no telling what else. So it's a new contract, but on the other hand the term contract extension can be used to describe it.
Your right, a contract extension means the "OLD CONTRACT" is in force for another year. That is why they didn't announce that Brad has signed a "New Contract"
Of course I can only say what it means in Canadian English without being confused
with the french language.

Bell will be going to the #20 next year, I guess Jones might get the #48 depending on what Hendrick thinks of him. Most people thought Logano was a bust when JGR dumped him, but he's proved them wrong. Jones might get the #14 if SHR doesn't go after Larson.

Reactions: Pat
Bell will be going to the #20 next year, I guess Jones might get the #48 depending on what Hendrick thinks of him. Most people thought Logano was a bust when JGR dumped him, but he's proved them wrong. Jones might get the #14 if SHR doesn't go after Larson.
There is only one outside chance that Bell doesn't go to the 20 that I see and that is that TRD in their cheapness outsmarted themselves and only gave Bell a one year contract when they shuffled him to Leavine. Even so, Bell seems so starry eyed with the Yota bunch it probably wouldn't make any difference if he did have a choice. That would be the surprise of the season if he did blow Toyota town.

SHR is getting Larson I think. Larson is a flat better driver in Cup than Jones.

Back
Top Bottom