2021 Silly Season

I'd consider it because Erik is a multi time race winner, has made the playoffs multiple times as opposed to Matty D and I would say overall has a brighter future than Matty D. I think Erik would have similar numbers if he was in the 21 because he would be the GUY at Wood Brothers as opposed to being a distant 4th like now at JGR.
Matty D was driving junk cars. This is his first year with a good ride and he is doing better than Jones who always had better equipment. He was team mate to Truex while they won a championship.

Matty D was driving junk cars. This is his first year with a good ride and he is doing better than Jones who always had better equipment. He was team mate to Truex while they won a championship.
Jones has two wins with 2 playoff appearances. All done in his early 20’s, I find that impressive

Also at some point in time he has to decide if he thinks he can have a legitimate shot at a championship as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Curious if RCR will become a threat again.

if not, Reddick couple years of gratitude to Childress, then find a spot to upgrade like Harvick did. That may be it, try to time Harvick's retirement.

if not, Reddick couple years of gratitude to Childress, then find a spot to upgrade like Harvick did. That may be it, try to time Harvick's retirement.
Tyler Reddick in the #4 would be insane.

It’s great Tyler is still going to be with RCR, now the clock starts as if it hasn’t already...to build a championship team around him. I know I’m jumping the gun on that when he hasn’t won a Cup race yet, but he’s the most insane talented prospect RC has had since Harvick. RCR just cant lost him, it’d be disastrous

It’s great Tyler is still going to be with RCR, now the clock starts as if it hasn’t already...to build a championship team around him. I know I’m jumping the gun on that when he hasn’t won a Cup race yet, but he’s the most insane talented prospect RC has had since Harvick. RCR just cant lost him, it’d be disastrous
I think RCR was never a great organization but did really well on the back of a great driver
who was replaced by another pretty good driver. Richard couldn't drive so he had to make it as an owner and he got pretty darn lucky. Making his grandson the #1 driver was just another mistake in the long line of also ran drivers he has hired. His son should have stepped aside when he seen he wasn't good enough. That way they could possible have 2 decent drivers.

The interesting thing I read somewhere is the 13 is looking at a possible change. So what does that mean for Ty? Does pop pop make room for him with a 3rd car? Ty to the 43 if Bubba moves on?

The interesting thing I read somewhere is the 13 is looking at a possible change. So what does that mean for Ty? Does pop pop make room for him with a 3rd car? Ty to the 43 if Bubba moves on?

I rememver seeing a rumor about Ty possibly giving up driving to take an administrative position at RCR.

How about Jones to the 21 and Matt D to the 48 (unlikely but interesting thought)

Austin Cindric’s name is criminally missing from a lot of these talks...

I could see him jumping into #21 and ripping!

Jones with Hendrick could really come to life and remind everyone how great of a wheelman he is... I feel like a change is going to do that for Erik.

Chase Elliott and Erik Jones have been IMO the best prospects in the garage since about 2013 (not including Larson since he gone). They kicked ass in late models, trucks xfinity, and a pairing of those two could potentially be the next generation of JJ/JG for Hendrick. Erik has already his growing pains, is only 23 with two crown jewel wins, and will come at a relatively cheap price. Typical Hendrick gets the next stud to literally fall into their lap lol. Imagine a team of Chase, EJ, Bowman, and Byron. That team is set for at least the next 10 years.

Chase Elliott and Erik Jones have been IMO the best prospects in the garage since about 2013 (not including Larson since he gone). They kicked ass in late models, trucks xfinity, and a pairing of those two could potentially be the next generation of JJ/JG for Hendrick. Erik has already his growing pains, is only 23 with two crown jewel wins, and will come at a relatively cheap price. Typical Hendrick gets the next stud to literally fall into their lap lol. Imagine a team of Chase, EJ, Bowman, and Byron. That team is set for at least the next 10 years.
A few years back Hendrick was asked why he didn't have a driver development program like Gibbs did. He laughed and said he had tried that and they wrecked about 50 cars trying to find a driver. That was back when they hired Chase. He's got nothing in Jones except his salary if he hires him. Even if he doesn't set the world on fire, Jones is a good choice. Hendrick has gone from having one of the oldest teams to one of the youngest.

A few years back Hendrick was asked why he didn't have a driver development program like Gibbs did. He laughed and said he had tried that and they wrecked about 50 cars trying to find a driver. That was back when they hired Chase. He's got nothing in Jones except his salary if he hires him. Even if he doesn't set the world on fire, Jones is a good choice. Hendrick has gone from having one of the oldest teams to one of the youngest.

there would not be a weak link in that team(as long and William fires it up soon...)

I’m so excited about the youth movement right now.

Hendricks young guns heating up with the idea of adding Jones...

Bell getting ready to step into the Cup #20... which I HOPE he finds his footing and comfort level quick.... would love to see him become a ‘staple’ front running type of driver that Gibbs wants to keep for a super long time... kinda like how Hamlin got into that 11 and it seems like he was one of the front runners almost right away and has maintained most of that status being a driver who could contend for wins at almost any time... that’s my hopes for Bell.

Cindric & Noah in xfinity... when they get a cup ride... holy crap are we gonna have some fierce action on the track... we the fans are the winners with what’s happening right now.

and I’m only naming a few storylines...

I think RCR was never a great organization but did really well on the back of a great driver
who was replaced by another pretty good driver. Richard couldn't drive so he had to make it as an owner and he got pretty darn lucky. Making his grandson the #1 driver was just another mistake in the long line of also ran drivers he has hired. His son should have stepped aside when he seen he wasn't good enough. That way they could possible have 2 decent drivers.
Also ran drivers? RCR hasn’t had HOF drivers besides Earnhardt and Harvick I agree. You lose me when you just disregard other drivers RC has had... I wouldn’t call Jeff Burton, Mike Skinner, Robby Gordon or Ryan Newman also rans. Call the organization out for making Dillon it’s number 1 I won’t debate you on that, but the organization has won a host of other Busch and Truck Series titles, they arnt an ordinary organization. Tyler is their piece to get back up the grid, they need to keep him at all costs. I think RC knows that deep down and also knows Reddick will probably be his number 1 driver if not already this time next year.

In this thread everyone is comparing drivers to other drivers, why is this one off limits? Jones probably won’t even be going to the 21

Well, considering that Jones has been in nothing BUT top line equipment his whole NASCAR career and Matty is in the middle of his FIRST season in DECENT equipment, I'd say any comparison would be unfair. I say this as somebody who would be fairly pleased if EITHER driver ended up in the 48.

Well, considering that Jones has been in nothing BUT top line equipment his whole NASCAR career and Matty is in the middle of his FIRST season in DECENT equipment, I'd say any comparison would be unfair. I say this as somebody who would be fairly pleased if EITHER driver ended up in the 48.
I’m hoping Jones gets the 48

Interesting idea I never thought of. Rodney recently said on Dale jr download he doesn’t know if he will continue to be on the box once Kevin retires though so it’s hard to say if the 14 team would be as coveted without him. Still great equipment yes but without Rodney that team is only slightly better than the other SHR cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Jason Radcliff comes over to the 20 with Bell

In this thread everyone is comparing drivers to other drivers, why is this one off limits? Jones probably won’t even be going to the 21
Jones to the 21 wasn't my point. Comparing two drivers ability while they are in cars the opposite end of the ability scale was my point. I think Matt D did OK in the 95, enough to get noticed for a promotion. Jones in the 20, obviously not enough to keep his job.
Lets see what Bell can do in the 20, big joke if he doesn't outshine Jones. I think that is possible. Bell seemed to wreck if he wasn't winning in those great JGR Xfinity cars.

Jones to the 21 wasn't my point. Comparing two drivers ability while they are in cars the opposite end of the ability scale was my point. I think Matt D did OK in the 95, enough to get noticed for a promotion. Jones in the 20, obviously not enough to keep his job.
Lets see what Bell can do in the 20, big joke if he doesn't outshine Jones. I think that is possible. Bell seemed to wreck if he wasn't winning in those great JGR Xfinity cars.

im gonna ask because I haven’t really studied it as close as maybe some people have... I just knew that awhile back the 21 moved into the Penske shop...

The 21 is basically a Penske car today isn’t it?

can we call it a Penske car, straight up?

How much of a Penske car is it? Is it the same engines/chassis’s... all that?

Call it whatever you like. The Wood Brothers’ car suits me.

By now, one would think that people would have some sort of handle on how the business of auto racing works.

Call it whatever you like. The Wood Brothers’ car suits me.

By now, one would think that people would have some sort of handle on how the business of auto racing works.

yea I like that title too, but surely my question is a reasonable one.

That’s all I needed. As far as I’m concerned the #21 is a Penske car.

... and yet burrito fans still need something better than that.

Let Cindric in that car already

Call it whatever you like, but the 21 is still basically the Penske B team. A very good and capable B team, but still the B team. That's why Paul Menard was there, that's why Blaney started out there, and why Matty D is there. It is a solid stepping stone to the A team, or you move on to another team. If you are Matty D or one of his fans, you don't consider the 21 the ultimate destination. I agree it's a good landing spot for Cindric, but unless Matty gets offered the 48 (outside possibility) or Penske starts a fourth team, (not likely at this time) there are no open seats. I don't see Penske cutting Matt loose simply to give Cindric the 21 car, but I've been wrong before.

Call it whatever you like, but the 21 is still basically the Penske B team. A very good and capable B team, but still the B team. That's why Paul Menard was there, that's why Blaney started out there, and why Matty D is there. It is a solid stepping stone to the A team, or you move on to another team. If you are Matty D or one of his fans, you don't consider the 21 the ultimate destination. I agree it's a good landing spot for Cindric, but unless Matty gets offered the 48 (outside possibility) or Penske starts a fourth team, (not likely at this time) there are no open seats. I don't see Penske cutting Matt loose simply to give Cindric the 21 car, but I've been wrong before.
Going from Wood Brothers to Hendrick would be a lateral move at best with the way Chevy has been running the last few years.

Then the question is, does Hendrick return their previous performance, or are they the new Roush?

Good question, but the answer (to me) is very clear. Hendrick Motorsports will absolutely 100% rebound. With their resources and commitment, it's just a matter of time. There's nooooo way in hell Mr. H will make the same mistakes Jack made.

im gonna ask because I haven’t really studied it as close as maybe some people have... I just knew that awhile back the 21 moved into the Penske shop...

The 21 is basically a Penske car today isn’t it?

can we call it a Penske car, straight up?

How much of a Penske car is it? Is it the same engines/chassis’s... all that?
Cars are made in the Penske shop and shipped to Wood Bros shop. From that point on the cars are Wood Bros as far as I am concerned. This alliance ( I think) was at the request of Ford. The drivers usually are those in line for Penske BUT this time around
Paul Menard recommended Matt D. and we know who the sponsor is. The Wood Bros have always been good at setting up and messaging cars for the big speedways.
I really like the arrangement.

Cars are made in the Penske shop and shipped to Wood Bros shop. From that point on the cars are Wood Bros as far as I am concerned. This alliance ( I think) was at the request of Ford. The drivers usually are those in line for Penske BUT this time around
Paul Menard recommended Matt D. and we know who the sponsor is. The Wood Bros have always been good at setting up and messaging cars for the big speedways.
I really like the arrangement.

I appreciate that. I was asking all that seriously because I wanted to make sure I had the correct understanding of the situation instead of assuming the whole picture.

I had seen photos of the 21 at one time or another at Penske and since then I’ve never really focused on that relationship more so I figured you folks would help clear that up.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom