2021 Silly Season

It's hard to do when the standards are constantly moved to fit certain perameters all the time.

It's necessary at times because we all begin crawling, then we learn how to walk, and then later on learn how to run. At the same time, some learn faster than others and some a bit slower at times right?

It's always going to be different for everyone.

I don't think we're talking about quite the same thing. You are correct that not everyone develops at the same speed, but it would be wrong to assume that anyone CAN'T get to the same place because of some ultimately unimportant physical characteristic. One of the phrases for it is the "Soft bigotry of low expectations". You can forgive a lack of results, but you should never forgive a lack of effort.

Well I don't have any idea what you are saying half the time, so we're even. Just for the record, I don't have any issue with NASCAR's suspension of Larson, but I think it's silly for people (or corporate America) to bury him for good for an unfortunate slip of a repulsive word that is part of the accepted vocabulary for a large portion of the people that the word is supposed to be offensive to. Until that segment of the population comes to grip with the fact it's either acceptable for EVERYBODY to use that word, or NOBODY to use that word, we aren't ever going to make much progress. In other words, holding people to equal standards.
Mr. Larson is not irredeemable. NASCAR, General Motors and Hendrick Motorsports know that. He will redeem himself and return to the Cup Series in due course. Many people, myself included, think that’s a good thing.

As for the rest of that nonsense, I suggest you immerse yourself in African American culture until you understand why they can use that word and you and I can’t.

Well I don't have any idea what you are saying half the time, so we're even. Just for the record, I don't have any issue with NASCAR's suspension of Larson, but I think it's silly for people (or corporate America) to bury him for good for an unfortunate slip of a repulsive word that is part of the accepted vocabulary for a large portion of the people that the word is supposed to be offensive to. Until that segment of the population comes to grip with the fact it's either acceptable for EVERYBODY to use that word, or NOBODY to use that word, we aren't ever going to make much progress. In other words, holding people to equal standards.
Nobody said Larson is buried, NASCAR I believe said he’s gotta apply for reinstatement after taking some classes (thought I read this). He does those two steps he’s back in. Listen I truly believe if he wants to, Kyle will come back on this from the NASCAR side. He proves he’s learned from this, I believe most will be rooting for him. I know I will...if it’s one thing everyone loves it’s a comeback story. But don’t get misconstrued, Larson did this to himself. I don’t believe he’s a racist fella he was just messing around and said it. It’s 2020...you say that word in sports, corporate America, working at McDonald’s consequences will be faced. You might not think that’s fair but it’s the way of the world, it just can’t be said. Me personally it doesn’t bother me I can’t say it, I don’t see a need to ever use it.

Reactions: Pat
You call it what you want. I call it holding EVERYONE to the same standards. We will NEVER solve what ails this nation as long as we have have one set of standards and expectations for some people and a completely different set for others. Having lower expectations of certain people is racism in itself.

Is the guy you are using as an avatar picture you?

Cheap's marketing crew will be working hard to minimize the whole watermelon thing.

Far too controversial after the last fiasco.

please do not take this post seriously ...

Or maybe just the opposite. Everyone loves watermelon, and Nascar runs in the summertime. Maybe he/they can embrace it and bring the family farm onboard as a sponsor with a giant watermelon-themed car.

:rolleyes: o_O:blink::director:

Mr. Larson is not irredeemable. NASCAR, General Motors and Hendrick Motorsports know that. He will redeem himself and return to the Cup Series in due course. Many people, myself included, think that’s a good thing .

Is that not what I just said?

As for the rest of that nonsense, I suggest you immerse yourself in African American culture until you understand why they can use that word and you and I can’t.

Something being part of someone's culture doesn't make something right, it's just an excuse for repugnant behavior. What if I suggested that being a N word calling racist was just a part of white southern culture and therefore off limits? Equally absurd. Not EVERYTHING is solely someone else's fault. Most of the time, if you want to make REAL progress, you have to act in ways that show you are SERIOUS about solving a problem and willing to lead by example.

Most of the time, if you want to make REAL progress, you have to act in ways that show you are SERIOUS about solving a problem and willing to lead by example.

I really want to jump in here, because I agree with what you're saying in this aspect. And there is a large percentage of the black community that would be in favor of eradicating that word from everyone's vocabulary. Your thoughts align with black conservatives for the most part.

This probably isn't the thread to air all this out though.

Other than my hair and beard being a LOT more gray, I look pretty much exactly as I did there.

I really want to jump in here, because I agree with what you're saying in this aspect. And there is a large percentage of the black community that would be in favor of eradicating that word from everyone's vocabulary. Your thoughts align with black conservatives for the most part.

If I told you who some of my political and cultural "mentors" are, you would see just how right you are.

Almost five months later and we're still asking why someone specifically should or should not use a word.

My goodness can we just get over it? The word has a lot of history behind it in the worst way, especially with the "er" used at the end that Larson used.

All because Larson made that decision to say it over a hot mic and people are kicking and screaming for him to come back ASAP. He lost his ride due to immaturity and not truly understanding the meaning of it. Being culturally insensitive will get you fired instantaneously and that's what happened.

For those saying it's just a word, if you say it near me, I won't crack your jaw like someone else would, but I will be more than happy enough to explain why it shouldn't be used. I had to pull friends to the side before and breakdown why it should NOT be used.

Kiante i am 1/2 black, am i allowed to say it?
I don't even say it and I'm not going to tell another grown man on the internet what you can and can't do.

All I'm saying is that it's extremely intriguing why many feel it should be used freely. It's almost as if oppression is such an attractive thing to some.

I don't even say it and I'm not going to tell another grown man on the internet what you can and can't do.

All I'm saying is that it's extremely intriguing why many feel it should be used freely. It's almost as if oppression is such an attractive thing to some.

It boggles my mind why somebody wants to use that word REGARDLESS of their race.

Im gonna press the clutch and grab another gear here real quick...

I personally would say Suarez would have a tough time getting one of the better rides that is still available.

He’s had chances and not really gotten it done.

the 19 won before Daniel got it... it won after he left it

the 41 won before Daniel got it... it won after he left it..

the pattern isnt great for him even though he seems like a nice enough kid.

gotta see what the other prospects can do now.

Suarez has been in the passenger seat of a very strange career where he was kindof guided to different rides due to circumstances out of his control. I wouldn't mind him being in a mid pack car for like 5 years just to give some type of stability so he can just focus for a bit. Even that is difficult to come by though

IMO Suarez needs to go back to Xfinity and prove his talent there in order to get a good cup ride. Like I have said before you can't really judge talent in JGR Xfinity equipment because it's so much better than the field. In reality he never did much in cup to impress anyone. He came up the ladder to fast and floundered when he got to the top

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Suarez was used because of his money, not his ability.

We saw what happened when he separated from Joe Gibbs, they tried to keep Arris, now Commscope, on the team and release Daniel to move in Truex.

The Haas situation was more based on performance, but I still feel as if he has a lot more to give. I hope his time with Gaunt helps him realize that if he wants to stick around, he will have to do better from the jump wherever he goes.

I think it could be refreshing to see daniel take a mid-lower tier car and really get some good stuff from it... he might need time to get comfortable, but thats kind of a lost art in todays Cup series unless your own sponsors want to keep you in a ride... daniel has had more help than most would be able to hope for

i just think at the time being the larger profile seats are just not for him since he’s had two of them before.

i do like the idea of him doing xfinity again to kinda reset himself and try again at going up the ladder

Suarez was doomed from the start when he went to cup JGR style. He wanted to keep his crew chief who had experience about setups, but the JGR bunch made him pick somebody he had no experience with. Kinda tough trying to learn the language do all the stuff a cup driver has to do and on top of that a new crew chief. Not in any way saying Suarez is a championship quality driver, and I thought he should have done a hell of a lot better driving a SHR car than he did.

How did this world get to the point where a Latin adjective becomes offensive? What is next?

Im gonna press the clutch and grab another gear here real quick...

I personally would say Suarez would have a tough time getting one of the better rides that is still available.

He’s had chances and not really gotten it done.

the 19 won before Daniel got it... it won after he left it

the 41 won before Daniel got it... it won after he left it..

the pattern isnt great for him even though he seems like a nice enough kid.

gotta see what the other prospects can do now.
Imo saying that the 19 and 41 won before Daniel got it is like saying the #20 won before Logano got it. Logano “bloomed late” by fans standards of young drivers and Daniel was rushed to Cup in the same manner Joey was. Difference is that Joey found a top tier ride with a team that believed in him and he proved it. Daniel got stuck with hand me downs and now everyone thinks he’s talentless.

Imo saying that the 19 and 41 won before Daniel got it is like saying the #20 won before Logano got it. Logano “bloomed late” by fans standards of young drivers and Daniel was rushed to Cup in the same manner Joey was. Difference is that Joey found a top tier ride with a team that believed in him and he proved it. Daniel got stuck with hand me downs and now everyone thinks he’s talentless.
What hand me downs? For equipment? He had the same stuff as everyone else at JGR and SHR.

What hand me downs? For equipment? He had the same stuff as everyone else at JGR and SHR.

He was shown the door after 2 seasons at JGR and cycles crew chiefs, not exactly setting him up for success. Then he gets to SHR where he starts showing signs of consistency and running better then gets shown the door again and now races with hand me downs. He has not been with a team that puts tools in place for him to be successful. Hands tied his whole Cup career.

Still wearing leather helmets, I see.

You know BELL makes a very affordable DOT legal helmet. It reduces the amount of brain movement in an accident, I think it's a bit too late to switch.
The leather helmets are more than sufficient in this case.

I certainly don't pretend to know enough to make a top personnel decision, but here are my thoughts for the moment:

> Jones is the most talented cup driver still available and cleared to race. Is he the best driver to hire for HMS? I don't think so.
> Larson may be the most talented driver available but NOT cleared to race. Is he a best choice for HMS? Not this year and maybe never. Larson had issues before he let slip his infamous putrid adjective. Chevy disavowed him and will not take him back this soon, in this environment. I also don't think he fits that team.
> Suarez has had some tough situations, but he strikes me as just a good driver. He can race a car and is a quality representative for NASCAR, so I hope he gets some ride remaining. I think he fits best with the RPM team. The owner is big on promoting diversity.
> So...perhaps HMS should go after whatever hot property they see in XFinity with the best chance at stardom. Not so sure that is Justin A. I don't know which one is the future star but either Briscoe or Cindric deserve serious consideration. I know they are aligned with different cup teams but those do not currently have an opening.

I certainly don't pretend to know enough to make a top personnel decision, but here are my thoughts for the moment:

> Jones is the most talented cup driver still available and cleared to race. Is he the best driver to hire for HMS? I don't think so.
Mostly agreed with everything you said but curious why you think HMS shouldn't hire Jones? You're just higher on the Xfin guys?

Back
Top Bottom