2021 Silly Season

The top Ford team is owned by one of the sports biggest hot heads.

Toyota has been controversial from day 1 with performance scandals and just a general dislike of the brand.

Meanwhile the NASCAR “King” is not without his own controversy.

t3198ddjnw451.jpg

I believe if Larson makes his return, he will be just fine.

So, with announcement made today and Michael Jordan's comments about NASCAR embracing social change and the donation he has made do you see a future for Larson in NASCAR?

So, with announcement made today and Michael Jordan's comments about NASCAR embracing social change and the donation he has made do you see a future for Larson in NASCAR?
Larson is yet to inquire about reinstatement. Currently he has no future.

If it’s announced that he has been reinstated, then that conversation can accurately continue.

One problem: MJ has enough clout and money to say “b—-, please.”
Unfortunately it takes a lot more than money to be successful. Look at the failures of Red Bull and Ginn. You need to be smart about this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Red Bull was also spending F1 winning team money at same time as going Cup racing, so nascar was never the main priority imho. Ginn was a con man and never truly as rich as he claimed.

He certainly does, but MJ has a financial team smart enough not to feed a money pit.

MJ is a phenom and I’m thrilled that the sport has him onboard. I hope the new team can give Bubba competitive equipment and team members.
I agree. I expect them to give it a good 4-5 years before he reassesses.

Depends on what the long term game plan is. Could be like SHR that the plan is to go independent eventually.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've heard the rumors etc but didn't want to comment until this team etc was officially announced. I myself have been wondering how this will turn out, and of course none of us can really know.

Even though they didn't announce manufacturer etc, I'm pretty sure it is Toyota with JGR support given Hamlin's involvement. The question is, will they fare better than other teams with JGR/Toyota "alliances".

I wonder if Joe Gibbs will be more supportive this time given Denny Hamlin is involved etc, but also even if not, none of those other owners (and very few owners ever in nascar) have the clout and honestly the money/resources that Michael Jordan does.

Also given that fact, I wonder if this will be just a single car team?

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Wow. It's been a big news day for Nascar.

Ross Chastain to the 42. I like this. Ya gotta love a guy that rebounds from the DC Solar fiasco by piecing together a schedule like Ross did in 2019...

> Every truck race, competes for the championship.
> Every cup race except one.
> Every Xfinity race up to June, and 19 of the 33 in total.
> And drives his own motorhome from track to track!

Michael Jordan to NASCAR with Bubba Wallace. Jordan becoming a team owner is huge news for the sport of stock car racing. So glad this is now confirmed. And such great news for Bubba. I was sad to hear he was leaving "The King" :( but happy to see he is joining forces with "His Airness." This team needs to be #23.

And speaking of "His Airness," he is obviously into the low drag aerodynamic look... the exact opposite of high downforce... and definitely plenty of horsepower...

Michael Jordan.jpg

I think people are overselling this silly season a bit. The Bubba deal is pretty big news, but beyond that, it doesn't seem any sillier than any other year that comes to mind. Maybe after forty years of paying attention to this stuff, my threshold of surprise is just a lot higher.......

Also given that fact, I wonder if this will be just a single car team?
Only time will tell.
Couple of things come to mind about this deal.
1. The Coach is getting old and with the loss of his son, how long can he keep helping "Family"
2. I've heard it said that the #11 sponsor is Denny's, so can Joe turn on Denny.
3. I think in a couple years with the new car, Denny will move to his team with his sponsor
and start expanding in direct competition with JGR with Toyota's blessing.

I think this means Ty Dillon's career as a driver will likely be over after this season.
Michael Jordan joining NASCAR as an owner is great news for the sport though I hope this won't be the end of Richard Petty Motorsports.
Chastain to the 42 is certainly not the biggest surprise of this silly season but it'll be interesting to see what the Melon Man can do in a decent Cup ride.

I think this means Ty Dillon's career as a driver will likely be over after this season.
Michael Jordan joining NASCAR as an owner is great news for the sport though I hope this won't be the end of Richard Petty Motorsports.
Chastain to the 42 is certainly not the biggest surprise of this silly season but it'll be interesting to see what the Melon Man can do in a decent Cup ride.
Have they named a new driver for the 43? Maybe it will be Ty's new ride.

JHN is a free agent?? Didn’t know that, he’d look good wheeling that 37 around. I also would advocate Chase Brisco to the 21, I think he is going to be Ford’s future if he is locked up with Penske

JHN is a free agent?? Didn’t know that, he’d look good wheeling that 37 around. I also would advocate Chase Brisco to the 21, I think he is going to be Ford’s future if he is locked up with Penske

Pretty old list.

With how dominant Cindric has been this year in Xfinity, it wouldnt surprise me if he gets moved up to Cup in the #21, and I would hate that for Matt. He has done more with that team than Menard ever did and he seems like a great guy to have on a team. Although NASCAR is a “win now” world and unfortunately Matt hasn’t come close this season, even with being snake bitten.

If that happens, it also would not surprise me if Denny/Michael open up a second car and have Matt drive for them. Denny and Matt are great friends and Denny has supported him in the past.

Can you provide a source where Pockrass suggested it? At almost the exact same time you first posted this, Pockrass was reporting something completely different........

No source. I'm not sure what you were reading from Pockrass but it must not have been what I saw.
What several had hinted at is true.
Bubba will drive the GOAT's car in 2021!

JHN is a free agent?? Didn’t know that, he’d look good wheeling that 37 around. I also would advocate Chase Briscoe to the 21, I think he is going to be Ford’s future if he is locked up with Penske

I would be vying Nemechek for the 6 in the future, I'd like to see him stick around at Front Row. He got off to a fast start, but has tapered off in performance. It goes to show McDowell's uptick in performance has been great to see for the team. Front Row should keep the duo together for another season.

Briscoe to the 32 would be the best bet, GoFas has an alliance with SHR, it would be the best solution in this case for him.

It's just too much talent, not enough seats in this case.

Some people have not considered what will happen if Ryan Newman decides to retire. I'm wondering how much longer Roush stays on it.

Surprised to see Nascar including Larson on that list

Now that silly season is starting to line up... looking at it, I’m a little surprised bubba still didn’t jump after the 42... I guess it’s strange that he may have not really entertained the idea. Atleast we are led to believe something close to that.

I get that there’s a lot of lure and otherwise tons of attention that Jordan and Hamlin bring to their deal by partnering up. Just seems still like that 42 would be a solid choice to go out there and let your talent show right away so to speak. But then again I’m just a fan and all looking at it from far away without the required knowledge of the inner workings of these deals...

it’ll be fun to watch either way.

Reactions: Pat
Now that silly season is starting to line up... looking at it, I’m a little surprised bubba still didn’t jump after the 42... I guess it’s strange that he may have not really entertained the idea. Atleast we are led to believe something close to that.

I get that there’s a lot of lure and otherwise tons of attention that Jordan and Hamlin bring to their deal by partnering up. Just seems still like that 42 would be a solid choice to go out there and let your talent show right away so to speak. But then again I’m just a fan and all looking at it from far away without the required knowledge of the inner workings of these deals...

it’ll be fun to watch either way.
We all know Ganassi is a B-team at the end of the day.

I think Bubba wants more than "solid". He wants to win, so this could be that chance to do so due to the partnership and money involved.

At the same time, money and equipment can be a huge issue. If Bubba wants to win, he has a chance to show it, even though I'm not expecting wins out of the gate. If he can, it would be huge, but it's all talk at the moment.

Now, it's his chance to bet on himself and see what he can really do without blaming equipment. This could be a boom or bust deal IMO, depending if Jordan wants to continue funding the organization.

He's been fantastic with RPM this season, so can he carry the momentum to the new team? We shall see come next season. This will be interesting to see develop as time progresses.

Back
Top Bottom