2021 Silly Season

I hope Bubba realizes all the pressure he's signed up for. Driving for an owner with about as deep of pockets as you can get, along with a manufacturer (we have to assume it's going to be Toyota) that expects its drivers to win.

Man if things don't go right I can see a lot of finger pointing in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm just ready to see what he can do in some top notch stuff, so I'm hoping they get some good cars from JGR/Toyota because I'd love to see him get a win.

Driving for an owner with about as deep of pockets as you can get,
MJ has deep pockets, but how deep is the racing pocket?

These current owners have lived, breathed and eaten racing for decades. Rarely does a newbie come in and bloor the doors off. It’ll be interesting for sure.

I hope Bubba realizes all the pressure he's signed up for. Driving for an owner with about as deep of pockets as you can get, along with a manufacturer (we have to assume it's going to be Toyota) that expects its drivers to win.

Man if things don't go right I can see a lot of finger pointing in a hurry.

A quick Google boasts a net worth of over one and a half billion, wow! I had no idea mj had that kind of coin. That's Roger penske kind of money.

They might be able to buy in to the "they're family" level with that kind of coin
And Denny's is supposedly 65 mil. Rumors are they're supposedly bringing in around 20 mil a year in sponsorship, so with that kinda money you'd expect results.

Larson is yet to inquire about reinstatement. Currently he has no future.

If it’s announced that he has been reinstated, then that conversation can accurately continue.

Nice side step as your previous post indicated something else.

Just my opinion, but if NASCAR allows someone to return who used that term in today's society then they are doing to do what they always do. They will have taken 2 steps forward then 3 steps back. All the goodwill of yesterday's announcement will be for not.

It should be interesting to see if Chevy wants their brand tied to him if he goes to Hendrick as the rumor mill indicates he might. I wonder how they got the current CEO of GM to sign off on it? She announced an Inclusion Advise Board to start, along with the announcement to make GM the most inclusive company in the world, and she directed GM to donate $ 10 million dollars to support organizations that promote inclusion and social justice.

And Denny's is supposedly 65 mil. Rumors are they're supposedly bringing in around 20 mil a year in sponsorship, so with that kinda money you'd expect results.

Team owners like Jerry Jones, Shahid Khan, and Stephen Ross dispell the idea that money equals success. Big shot gangers putting together a crew.

Nice side step as your previous post indicated something else.

Just my opinion, but if NASCAR allows someone to return who used that term in today's society then they are doing to do what they always do. They will have taken 2 steps forward then 3 steps back. All the goodwill of yesterday's announcement will be for not.

It should be interesting to see if Chevy wants their brand tied to him if he goes to Hendrick as the rumor mill indicates he might. I wonder how they got the current CEO of GM to sign off on it? She announced an Inclusion Advise Board to start, along with the announcement to make GM the most inclusive company in the world, and she directed GM to donate $ 10 million dollars to support organizations that promote inclusion and social justice.
Lets get one thing straight, Larson said a bad word (in the minds of some) he didn't commit an illegal act and he sure as hell never harmed anyone BUT there are a few on here who are so righteous they would be willing to nail him to the stake and shove a spear in his side to make sure he is dead.
Is this the type of forgiveness you are expecting for your own sins?
Think before you reply, he may be watching you.

I found it interesting tonight that Adam Stern mentioned that this new team may have some sponsor things to work out. Sounds like some of these multi year contracts that Bubba had recently signed also had RPM in them. Apparently Bubba's team is saying the sponsorship goes with him since he was only tied to RPM for the remainder of the year and RPM is kinda like well I don't think it's that easy our name is on some of these contracts as well.

Now I would think this new Denny/MJ team (man they really need a name) would have already had most of this worked out prior to committing, but it does make sense that they haven't announced any sponsorship yet.

MJ has deep pockets, but how deep is the racing pocket?

These current owners have lived, breathed and eaten racing for decades. Rarely does a newbie come in and bloor the doors off. It’ll be interesting for sure.
True, you got an oversized basketball player who has watched a race or two and a driver who spends most of his off time playing golf or shooting baskets saying hey we are going to start a racing team. I think it is a matter of more money that sense, but we'll see. It will definitely be interesting

True, you got an oversized basketball player who has watched a race or two and a driver who spends most of his off time playing golf or shooting baskets saying hey we are going to start a racing team. I think it is a matter of more money that sense, but we'll see. It will definitely be interesting
Sounds like they're keeping Bob Germain around so to me that's one of the big pieces of the puzzle that's being overlooked by most. With him they have someone with experience how to run a race team.

Lets get one thing straight, Larson said a bad word (in the minds of some) he didn't commit an illegal act and he sure as hell never harmed anyone BUT there are a few on here who are so righteous they would be willing to nail him to the stake and shove a spear in his side to make sure he is dead.

It doesn't matter what Racing Forums thinks...

What matters is what corporate America thinks. And they are NOT going to "forgive"/sponsor him. They dropped him IMMEDIATELY in April 2020. And after the social events post May 2020 I don't think he's ever gonna drive for a well-funded team ever again in NASCAR.

I hear a lot about how deep the pockets will be for this new Hamlin/MJ team... I guess many are hoping deep pockets can outweigh the experience of putting the right people in the right places in order to build a winning team...

that’s why I thought the idea of bubba taking an established ‘solid car’ could’ve been worth something.

A new team(no matter the deep pockets and flashy names of the owners) should still have a large learning curve

Team owners like Jerry Jones, Shahid Khan, and Stephen Ross dispell the idea that money equals success. Big shot gangers putting together a crew.

Well in his case I hope so, since he's bank rolling for his son to have a wrestling company I enjoy a lot.

Brad Daugherty was saying last night that he doesn't expect any driver changes over there for 2021, so I guess for the time being that takes the rumored 37 off the table.

Brad Daugherty was saying last night that he doesn't expect any driver changes over there for 2021, so I guess for the time being that takes the rumored 37 off the table.

That's great news. Ricky has been doing very well over there (much better than I expected). Preece has not but he's finalllly got a good streak going so we'll see what these final few races bring.
The biggest issues is the cars are unreliable and the pit crews are HORRIBLE. Their pit times are on-par with the cars/teams that run p30.

I’m not even going to touch on your “in the minds of some” comment in your post.

You are correct that Larson didn’t commit an illegal act. Nonetheless, he uttered something that can’t be uttered in today’s society. You indicate that you want to tie this to something akin to “Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged”. That isn’t what this is about or what I’m writing about.

Your view relays that you expect a company to spend millions of dollars and tie itself to a person who had no issue using that word, or was too dumb to understand the outcome of using that word would mean in today’s society. The judgement used to utter the word highlights the risks involved with tying your brand to that person in the future. If you can get over the hurdle of “stink” associated with using that word then you have to convince a company that huge potions of its customers product base won’t have issues with it. You’ll have to convince them that those customers won’t stop purchasing their product in the future if they tie their brand to that person. Then you’ll have to get over the next hurdle of a potential consumer products company betting that something equally as offensive or stupid won’t come out of that person’s mouth in the future.

That’s a tough sell.

Take the above example and do it to multiple companies that are potential sponsors of your race team. Are you starting to see the scale of the problem yet?

Now, try selling that in today’s environment to the CEO of GM and what she has indicated will be an important part of their business model in the future. Then try selling reinstatement to a rules body when one of the most famous black americans has decided to become an owner in their sport. Tie that with what he stated were reasons why he did it. In his statement, he touched upon NASCAR struggling with “diversity” and wanting to open opportunities for Black people in racing.

That tough sell might have become impossible.

With everything that has gone on inside and outside of NASCAR since he was suspended Larson’s road back hasn’t gotten any easier. That's what I;m writing about. It ain't about me judging Larson. Its about looking at the situation and describing the realities involved within it.

In the interest of accuracy, it's only a bad word when certain people use it, or so we are told.....
I’m not even going to touch on your “in the minds of some” comment in your post.

I will.

It's called passive-aggressive racism. The reference to the "righteousness" of people here who prefer not to have their racing heroes use that language is quite a tell.

I'd also argue he harmed quite a few people. He represents a lot of folks and made very many peoples jobs/lives far more difficult, let alone those whom he offended and disappointed by saying it.

No excuse for what he did. Grown ass man, he's a father. Don't blame people for how they're reacting to it, blame him for his carelessness. Childish to do otherwise.

Maybe MJ and Denny can start a second team and bring Larson in as the driver? :) I think that would float through.

I will.

It's called passive-aggressive racism. The reference to the "righteousness" of people here who prefer not to have their racing heroes use that language is quite a tell.

You call it what you want. I call it holding EVERYONE to the same standards. We will NEVER solve what ails this nation as long as we have have one set of standards and expectations for some people and a completely different set for others. Having lower expectations of certain people is racism in itself.

You call it what you want. I call it holding EVERYONE to the same standards. We will NEVER solve what ails this nation as long as we have have one set of standards and expectations for some people and a completely different set for others. Having lower expectations of certain people is racism in itself.
No idea what you're talking about but that is not unusual.

There is no professional sport's sanctioning body that would have done anything differently. It's 2020, not 1920. wake up.

It's hard to do when the standards are constantly moved to fit certain perameters all the time.

It's necessary at times because we all begin crawling, then we learn how to walk, and then later on learn how to run. At the same time, some learn faster than others and some a bit slower at times right?

It's always going to be different for everyone.

For what it's worth, I saw where someone shared a screen shot where people could pre-order a Kyle Larson Ally #48 die cast from Lionel. The ability to order that was taken down. One of those things that make you say hmmmm.

No idea what you're talking about but that is not unusual.

There is no professional sport's sanctioning body that would have done anything differently. It's 2020, not 1920. wake up.

Well I don't have any idea what you are saying half the time, so we're even. Just for the record, I don't have any issue with NASCAR's suspension of Larson, but I think it's silly for people (or corporate America) to bury him for good for an unfortunate slip of a repulsive word that is part of the accepted vocabulary for a large portion of the people that the word is supposed to be offensive to. Until that segment of the population comes to grip with the fact it's either acceptable for EVERYBODY to use that word, or NOBODY to use that word, we aren't ever going to make much progress. In other words, holding people to equal standards.

It's fake news

Covering up the real one
FB_IMG_1600896098997.jpg

Back
Top Bottom