2022 Silly Season

Honestly, I could see Harvick as a co-owner.

You already have Tad Geschickter and Brad Daughery as the owners of the team, adding Harvick into the mix would be an interesting proposal. However, I do not see Harvick purchasing the team outright like some were thinking. KHI also has Harrison Burton in the mix as well, so maybe Harrison could also be brought into the mix?

The question is if Harvick leaves SHR, who picks up the 4 car? I could also see Childers leaving SHR and going with Harvick as well, but that's all wild speculation.
Twitter had an answer for that...apparently Blaney is trying to buy his way out of the 12 to take over the 4...

Real Sponsor?
"Five of HendrickCars.com’s six highest-traffic days of the year have been attributed to its sponsorship of the No. 5 team, including four Cup Series race days when Larson led the most laps or won. In February, the reveal of the HendrickCars.com paint scheme drove the site’s highest one-day visitor count in more than 12 months. Since then, it has seen significant increases in overall traffic (up 27%), vehicle sales leads (up 18%), digital retail leads (up 37%) and trade evaluations (up 61%)."

Hendrick Automotive Group, via its HendrickCars.com brand, will become the 35-race majority sponsor of Kyle Larson and the No. 5 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 team in both the 2022 and 2023 NASCAR Cup Series seasons. In addition, Hendrick Motorsports has extended the driver’s contract for one year through 2023.
To the point the Hendrick network was pissed about not being on the car for the 600.

"Five of HendrickCars.com’s six highest-traffic days of the year have been attributed to its sponsorship of the No. 5 team, including four Cup Series race days when Larson led the most laps or won. In February, the reveal of the HendrickCars.com paint scheme drove the site’s highest one-day visitor count in more than 12 months. Since then, it has seen significant increases in overall traffic (up 27%), vehicle sales leads (up 18%), digital retail leads (up 37%) and trade evaluations (up 61%)."

Hold on. Many of the R-F experts here were saying Larson didn't have a sponsor with Hendrick Cars on the side. :biggrin:

Looks like Hendrick Cars upped it's support

Of the drivers available, I would personally hire Matt Dibenedetto or Ross Chastain

Unfortunately, its always been this way though.
I keep seeing this complaint... that young drivers can't break into Cup racing unless they have tons of money... but I just don't believe it. I'll grant you that unfunded backmarker teams have always looked for ride buyers who could come up with a few grand to rent a seat. But the hopeless backmarker teams and the Timmy Hills and Gray Gauldings of the world do not define what Nascar racing is all about, in my opinion.

Looking at mid-field teams or better, how many of their drivers broke into Cup racing because they were toting the cash? Not many. There is the Paul Menard example. And there is Danica Patrick, where Go Daddy money established a brand new team for her; she did not displace a "real driver" from a seat. Any others???

There may be some other isolated example I can't think of at the moment, but by and large, the overwhelming majority of rookies breaking into Cup racing have done so on driving merit. Why pretend every seat is for sale... bring Daddy's Money and your helmet... when the actual facts are so vastly different?

[End of rant.]

I keep seeing this complaint... that young drivers can't break into Cup racing unless they have tons of money... but I just don't believe it. I'll grant you that unfunded backmarker teams have always looked for ride buyers who could come up with a few grand to rent a seat. But the hopeless backmarker teams and the Timmy Hills and Gray Gauldings of the world do not define what Nascar racing is all about, in my opinion.

Looking at mid-field teams or better, how many of their drivers broke into Cup racing because they were toting the cash? Not many. There is the Paul Menard example. And there is Danica Patrick, where Go Daddy money established a brand new team for her; she did not displace a "real driver" from a seat. Any others???

There may be some other isolated example I can't think of at the moment, but by and large, the overwhelming majority of rookies breaking into Cup racing have done so on driving merit. Why pretend every seat is for sale... bring Daddy's Money and your helmet... when the actual facts are so vastly different?

[End of rant.]
Maybe not at the Cup level, but its regressed especially at the truck and xfinity level. Many do earn their keep to get to that next level.

I should have been more specific talking on the truck and xfinity series. It helps to have sponsorship in Cup, but for the development series its almost become necessary at times.

Once again, my fault for not being specific enough.

Maybe not at the Cup level, but its regressed especially at the truck and xfinity level. Many do earn their keep to get to that next level.

I should have been more specific talking on the truck and xfinity series. It helps to have sponsorship in Cup, but for the development series its almost become necessary at times.

Once again, my fault for not being specific enough.
Yes, you are correct that there is a lot of family money being spent in the minor leagues of *all* forms of racing. I think of this as tuition paid for an expensive trade school. The development series are increasingly populated by young kids without much of an adult resume. So of course they have to pay the freight at the lower levels, like many other sports as well. There are only a few sports where the minor leagues are taxpayer funded... and racing is not among these.

Larson being one of the best young drivers of the sport isn't news. That said, I certainly didn't expect this kind of winning. It coincides with Chevy having an uptick in performance.

I wonder how much of his dominance can be attributed to his new team. Would he be having similar performance in the #42?

Anyway, happy for Larson. He had to endure alot of adversity this past year. It shows what kind of character he is.

Looks like Hendrick Cars upped it's support

I sw mention that they will be on his other (I assume dirt) cars as well. Will this be purely financial sponsorship or will he be basically driving Hendrick cars when he races dirt. Imagine Larson in a car with those resources on dirt. He may never lose again.

It's been three or four years ago that I read an article about Hendrick being able to measure traffic and interest data and use it as a tool to show potential sponsors and I was surprised at how they could do that. On the other hand, there are those that think that the Nascar bunch blunders around blindly, doesn't have interest in fans, and doesn't know what they want to be when they grow up. It's interesting that the Hendrick organization is able to do that and in comparisonm think the Nascar organization and the media doesn't have that capability and more.

I was being facetious with my post as around February or March around here there was a debate if Kyle or Rick would ever attract a “real” sponsor for the 5 after his self inflicted issue last year. I’m still trying to process that one

Bombshell this morning. It sounds like Menards is taking a step back, no mentioning of Menards so far.

Oh my. These next two weeks without a Cup race, I feel like we might get a few bombshells in that time. I thought Discount Tire would be going with Brad to Roush.

I guess I didn't see that one coming. Looks like Matt D got the short end of the stick again. But I guess the Captain knows better than I do who should be in his cars.

Thank god we don’t have to listen to Jeff Burton deepthroat TRD on the broadcasts anymore.
Sadly the first thing I thought of when I heard this deal was so Jeff will be pushing Ford Performance next year I guess

Sadly the first thing I thought of when I heard this deal was so Jeff will be pushing Ford Performance next year I guess
“I promise you!!” there will be enough time for that agenda in between “Playoff Points!!!!!” And “Playoff positioning!!!!”

Hmm maybe random twitter knew more then we thought this time

So does this mean there are not as many future TBA Toyotas as people have theorized if Burton makes the jump to Ford?

I hope Matt D can land a solid Xfinity or Truck ride since I doubt he will have good opportunities in Cup.

So does this mean there are not as many future TBA Toyotas as people have theorized if Burton makes the jump to Ford?
Pretty much.

Gibbs and JHN are on the rise, so why not take the leap to another manufacturer?

This is a big move for Ford, not just Penske. Ford did not have that next driver in line, now they have it with Harrison.

Now we wait and see what happens with Keselowski and Matt D.

I hope Matt D can land a solid Xfinity or Truck ride since I doubt he will have good opportunities in Cup.
There may be an empty seat at JRM next year. I can't see them hanging on to Annett another year, the guy offers nothing but I guess he does bring sponsorship. So if Matt can get that he may have a shot.

This is out of the Athletic article: (via Jordan Bianchi, picture from Nate Ryan)
E6V00hUXsAU0-T-

Brad wanted an ownership stake in Penske, along with his new contract.

There may be an empty seat at JRM next year. I can't see them hanging on to Annett another year, the guy offers nothing but I guess he does bring sponsorship. So if Matt can get that he may have a shot.
Good idea to remember this about Annett.

Back
Top Bottom