2022 Silly Season

@Formerjackman what do you mean by RCR and Hendrick getting stuck with Skinner and Vickers? Were they both pushed onto the teams by Chevy then? I thought Vickers was a Ricky Hendrick choice.

After winning the first two truck Series championships for RCR, I think RC probably felt a little bit of pressure to promote him and not let him get out of the company, combined with the fact that his truck titles probably inflated his resume more than it should have. If he finishes second in those two seasons, I serious doubt he gets a ride as coveted as that. Same goes for Vickers. The ONLY reason Vickers was able to get a HMS ride in Busch was because he was Ricky's guy, and he managed to punch a little above his weight and win some races at JUST the right time by some magical stroke of luck. GMAC began pushing to get him moved up to Cup, (at LEAST a year too early in my opinion) and it ended up costing Joe Nemechek the best ride he ever had, just as he was really getting settled into HMS. Between Ricky and GMAC, I think Rick got pushed into a choice he probably didn't want to make. If Vickers doesn't win races 22, 25 and 27 just as Nemechek's future was being decided, there is no way in hell he ends up in the Cup 25 for 2004. I also think it was a little bit of the Jeff Gordon effect. When you hire relatively inexperienced drivers such as Gordon and Johnson and it works, you start believing more drivers can do that than probably can. (See Jerry Nadeau). It's also interesting to note that in Vicker's Busch championship season of 2003, he and Kasey Kahne are the ONLY drivers to EVER win a Cup race out of the group that finished in the top 15 in points. That suggests to me that it was a fairly weak field he beat that year. Please don't take of this as criticism of either Skinner or Vickers, I thing both were above average drivers in Cup, but I think both got promoted to jobs above where they were in their careers at the time, and would have been better served to spend a little more time in the Busch Series. It's because of what happened to Nemechek in 2003 that I have always held out hope that Rick could find a way to get John Hunter into a good ride to help make it right. At the very least I think he have gotten a shot at JRM.

Freddie Kraft all but guaranteed Kurt Busch to 23XI next season on DBC. TJ then asked how/why they’d hire a second driver without a second car and Freddie said “Denny has the resources to get a second charter.”

Freddie Kraft all but guaranteed Kurt Busch to 23XI next season on DBC. TJ then asked how/why they’d hire a second driver without a second car and Freddie said “Denny has the resources to get a second charter.”

A couple of months ago, Denny basically said they didn't even HAVE to have a charter. He felt there was enough sponsorship available to make running as an unchartered team viable if necessary. I still think they intend to get one, but it may not be the deal breaker most think it would be.

A couple of months ago, Denny basically said they didn't even HAVE to have a charter. He felt there was enough sponsorship available to make running as an unchartered team viable if necessary. I still think they intend to get one, but it may not be the deal breaker most think it would be.
My guess is that the statement Denny made was just a way of devaluing the cost of a charter he is trying to buy :)

He's probably not very far off. If they have enough sponsorship dollars the ROI of buying a charter might not be worth it. We'll never know the numbers because they don't release purse money anymore but I could see it. There clearly becomes a point of the extra money you get by running the charter will take too long to pay back the cost of actually purchasing the charter. Not to mention there's no set value of these charters and I think right now the price is probably going to be about as high as it's going to be (maybe I'm wrong).

I think if you want to have a winning top contending car you need a charter. Otherwise you scale your budget back to be a money making business. see RWR.

Agreed, I don’t think he necessarily needs a charter given Jordan/Bubbas sponsor situation. But if I’m not mistaken, non charter teams won’t have priority access to Nextgen parts.

Agreed, I don’t think he necessarily needs a charter given Jordan/Bubbas sponsor situation. But if I’m not mistaken, non charter teams won’t have priority access to Nextgen parts.
They don't have access to a guaranteed purse for just showing up or a higher percent of any winnings they obtain from racing that a charter provides.

They don't have access to a guaranteed purse for just showing up or a higher percent of any winnings they obtain from racing that a charter provides.
Thanks. I also though there was something about not having priority access to parts too. Maybe I was wrong..

RCR has been a top 12 team about every week.

I would stay put if I'm Reddick, RCR has been trending in the right direction for about a year.
Reddick and RCR remind me of Larson and CGR. At any time someone said “Larson should move to HMS”, he would have a few races where he is racing right there with the rest of HMS. So why move when things are good?

I think if history shows anything, the larger teams are always going to outclass the satellite teams.

The argument becomes, if Reddick is performing this strong in RCR equipment, how does he perform if he’s in a HMS seat?

Unfortunately for him, if he’s bound to Chevrolet and HMS shared equipment, RCR is the best he’s going to get for quite some time. Unless we see huge improvement from Trackhouse, and that isn’t out of the question.

Lots of ladders for Reddick to climb in the future.

Thanks. I also though there was something about not having priority access to parts too. Maybe I was wrong..
I do recall hearing somewhere (I want to say on the Late Shift) them saying charter members get priority for distribution of chassis. Now what that means I have no idea. Do charter teams get them first, but no one gets a second one until everyone gets their first one?

The 23 is a chartered car.

New race teams are built over time. Starting from behind is a bad idea.

I do recall hearing somewhere (I want to say on the Late Shift) them saying charter members get priority for distribution of chassis. Now what that means I have no idea. Do charter teams get them first, but no one gets a second one until everyone gets their first one?
Makes sense that charter teams get their equipment IF there are shortages and that would become a problem. Charter teams are guaranteed a start in all of the races so they need a car to race with.

The 23 is a chartered car.

New race teams are built over time. Starting from behind is a bad idea.
Denny has said that if they bring in a new car, it wouldn’t be chartered, but he’s not worried because he’s confident on making the races on speed.

With the limited charters until 2025 and the going price for them, starting from behind might be an only option. Cost wise, it could be the better option.

Reddick and RCR remind me of Larson and CGR. At any time someone said “Larson should move to HMS”, he would have a few races where he is racing right there with the rest of HMS. So why move when things are good?

I think if history shows anything, the larger teams are always going to outclass the satellite teams.

The argument becomes, if Reddick is performing this strong in RCR equipment, how does he perform if he’s in a HMS seat?

Unfortunately for him, if he’s bound to Chevrolet and HMS shared equipment, RCR is the best he’s going to get for quite some time. Unless we see huge improvement from Trackhouse, and that isn’t out of the question.

Lots of ladders for Reddick to climb in the future.
Childress would be crazy to let him go, but Austin Dillon's continual improvement year to year should be noted as well.

I doubt Reddick goes anywhere else come the offseason.

Quote from Kelly Earnhardt:
“We’re just continuing conversations. That’s what we’ve been doing, just trying to talk with people and get as much information and get as much ideas of what opportunities are out there, and really thinking through 2023 for us would be ideal, so that gives us a little bit of time.

“You see this charter stuff happening and Trackhouse (Racing) buying (Chip Ganassi Racing) and just the rumors out there of different situations and you kind of get a little nervous. ‘Will there be a charter available? What will the situation be? Are they going to be too expensive or whatnot?’

Quote from Kelly Earnhardt:
“We’re just continuing conversations. That’s what we’ve been doing, just trying to talk with people and get as much information and get as much ideas of what opportunities are out there, and really thinking through 2023 for us would be ideal, so that gives us a little bit of time.

“You see this charter stuff happening and Trackhouse (Racing) buying (Chip Ganassi Racing) and just the rumors out there of different situations and you kind of get a little nervous. ‘Will there be a charter available? What will the situation be? Are they going to be too expensive or whatnot?’
"We're just gonna buy Richard Childress Racing" (I kid)

Random people on Twitter are trying to make Kevin Harvick buying JTG and Harrison Burton to wood bros happen...
Freddie Kraft said on DBC this week that they knew who was going to be in the 21 next year and a lot of dominos are falling this last week or so.

And @antman12 you are correct: Kraft also said a week or two ago that charter teams get parts for the Next Gen car first, and with the shortage then the non-chartered teams are not guaranteed of having cars/parts.

GMS's cup garage

Sheldon Creed time?

Or maybe another veteran? Be interesting to see how it plays out, but with GMS lack of sponsorship, it will probably be a paid driver jumping into the seat. Oh this is probably where the rumors about Zane Smith going to Cup has some life behind it because he has sponsorship to bring in, we'll see.

Sheldon Creed time?

Or maybe another veteran? Be interesting to see how it plays out, but with GMS lack of sponsorship, it will probably be a paid driver jumping into the seat. Oh this is probably where the rumors about Zane Smith going to Cup has some life behind it because he has sponsorship to bring in, we'll see.

so basically if I was a billionaire and said I have 20 million for Josh Berry to run cup full time.

would I have trouble getting him a ride?

So in all reality
there are better drivers not in cup only because they can’t get a sponsor
and
so so drivers in cup only because they can get a sponsor

1626268369195.gif

So in all reality
there are better drivers not in cup only because they can’t get a sponsor
and
so so drivers in cup only because they can get a sponsor
Unfortunately, its always been this way though.

A driver maybe a great talent, but he or she also have to know how to market themselves as well to attract sponsors. Berry will get the full-time ride and I have a feeling Jr will pull some more strings to keep him in the fold.

He's earned every bit of it.

Unfortunately, its always been this way though.

A driver maybe a great talent, but he or she also have to know how to market themselves as well to attract sponsors. Berry will get the full-time ride and I have a feeling Jr will pull some more strings to keep him in the fold.

He's earned every bit of it.
I contemplated making this post for a little while now. And it might be a “hot take” and I could be totally wrong.

If JR gets a cup car her puts Berry in it. Just the way he talks about him makes me feel that way.

The only thing that makes me think there’s a remote possibility of the Harvick/JTGD thing happening is that KHI already represents both Stenhouse and Preece (how Preece got into a DGR truck a couple of times). But it’s still pretty far out there.

The only thing that makes me think there’s a remote possibility of the Harvick/JTGD thing happening is that KHI already represents both Stenhouse and Preece (how Preece got into a DGR truck a couple of times). But it’s still pretty far out there.
Honestly, I could see Harvick as a co-owner.

You already have Tad Geschickter and Brad Daughery as the owners of the team, adding Harvick into the mix would be an interesting proposal. However, I do not see Harvick purchasing the team outright like some were thinking. KHI also has Harrison Burton in the mix as well, so maybe Harrison could also be brought into the mix?

The question is if Harvick leaves SHR, who picks up the 4 car? I could also see Childers leaving SHR and going with Harvick as well, but that's all wild speculation.

Honestly, I could see Harvick as a co-owner.

You already have Tad Geschickter and Brad Daughery as the owners of the team, adding Harvick into the mix would be an interesting proposal. However, I do not see Harvick purchasing the team outright like some were thinking. KHI also has Harrison Burton in the mix as well, so maybe Harrison could also be brought into the mix?

The question is if Harvick leaves SHR, who picks up the 4 car? I could also see Childers leaving SHR and going with Harvick as well, but that's all wild speculation.

Why would be leave SHR? Denny didn't.

I don't see this one happening, but stranger things have happened. He sold all of his race team stuff years ago because they wanted more time with their family and if he ever dipped his toe in it again I always guessed it would be in some role at SHR.

Back
Top Bottom