2024 NASCAR Schedules

Has it been disclosed how much it costs to cover bristol in dirt and then remove it? Have to burn a lot of diesel in the process. Hopefully the word going round is correct, good riddance to the gimmick!

Has it been disclosed how much it costs to cover bristol in dirt and then remove it? Have to burn a lot of diesel in the process. Hopefully the word going round is correct, good riddance to the gimmick!
I'm so sick of this fan base using the word gimmick! It was a race all races are races stop it. I will miss it.

I'm so sick of this fan base using the word gimmick! It was a race all races are races stop it. I will miss it.
Dirt racing has been around long before pavement....but gimmick lol.
1681829368364.png

It makes it a gimmick when you cover a pavement track with dirt then take a car designed to run on pavement tracks to run on dirt.
It makes it a dirt race. lol. I bet the complainers were confused with the Daytona beach races. Beach, road, beach, road both sides screaming GIMMICK!

It makes it a dirt race. lol. I bet the complainers were confused with the Daytona beach races. Beach, road, beach, road both sides screaming GIMMICK!
If you don't like the word gimmick, how about a waste of a good pavement short track? I feel the same way about this as I do about street courses, rovals and stadium races. If you are going to race a certain discipline, seek out the BEST examples of that discipline, don't used half assed cobbled together crap versions of them.

So who is going to put their money where their mouth is and support the spring race on Bristol concrete????
Not very many did before.
Becareful what you wish for. The next step is 1 race period!
Also those non-dirt cars put on one helluva show on the dirt this year!

So who is going to put their money where their mouth is and support the spring race on Bristol concrete????
I'd be ok with one race. The increase in demand would be huge and allow the series to visit a different track.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bristol like Martinsville is all hype and fairly low ratings and terrible attendance. People living in the dream world of 20 years ago with full stands continue to hang on to that vision but that is long gone. It's a fantasy world to compare it to today. Bristol Spring race was in the dumpster when it came to attendance and ratings. Throw in a couple of years of bad weather and the stands were deserted. That is the reality, real time. They tried something different to try to revive Bristol and it sure is better than years previous on pavement in the spring. They didn't do it just for the hell of it.

If Bristol loses a race, it will be to another SMI track. Atlanta, Vegas, and Charlotte already have two. Texas just lost a date. That leaves Sonoma and the leased COTA (I don't see another road course race being added), Wilkesboro, leased Nashville Speedway, and (OMG) Kentucky.

If Bristol loses a race, it will be to another SMI track. Atlanta, Vegas, and Charlotte already have two. Texas just lost a date. That leaves Sonoma and the leased COTA (I don't see another road course race being added), Wilkesboro, the Nashville, and (OMG) Kentucky.
That's wonderful, If I had to choose Bristol Dirt or one race Bristol, I'll choose Bristol dirt every time.

That's wonderful, If I had to choose Bristol Dirt or one race Bristol, I'll choose Bristol dirt every time.
To each his own. My opinion is Bristol has only had one race for the last three years anyway, so I wouldn't notice a difference.

Maybe I'd take to NASCAR running dirt more if it was more than just one race a year. For better or worse, the schedule has six plate / pack races, six short track races, six or seven road courses (none with two races). The other half of the schedule is 1- to 2-milers. If a fan isn't familiar with each of these types, there are plenty of chances to learn about them. I don't know how the drivers and chiefs feel about their opportunities to improve skills and setups with a once-a-year, 30-minutes practice event. I do know I don't have much chance to figure it out as a fan. I'm already watching more series than I can handle; adding a dirt series to my viewing schedule isn't manageable, and they don't drive stock cars anyway.

To each his own. My opinion is Bristol has only had one race for the last three years anyway, so I wouldn't notice a difference.

Maybe I'd take to NASCAR running dirt more if it was more than just one race a year. For better or worse, the schedule has six plate / pack races, six short track races, six or seven road courses (none with two races). The other half of the schedule is 1- to 2-milers. If a fan isn't familiar with each of these types, there are plenty of chances to learn about them. I don't know how the drivers and chiefs feel about their opportunities to improve skills and setups with a once-a-year, 30-minutes practice event. I do know I don't have much chance to figure it out as a fan. I'm already watching more series than I can handle; adding a dirt series to my viewing schedule isn't manageable, and they don't drive stock cars anyway.
The owners and workers would notice. A 150,000 seat venue is a whole lot of overhead for one race. That is the elephant in the room.

If Bristol loses a race, it will be to another SMI track. Atlanta, Vegas, and Charlotte already have two. Texas just lost a date. That leaves Sonoma and the leased COTA (I don't see another road course race being added), Wilkesboro, leased Nashville Speedway, and (OMG) Kentucky.

Tony and the track in Ohio could just share profits with SMI like they are doing at COTA I believe. SMI does not own COTA.

Bristol could make money having an SEC / ACC football game or something as well.

The owners and workers would notice. A 150,000 seat venue is a whole lot of overhead for one race. That is the elephant in the room.
Didn't seem to be a concern for Texas, a track with the same owner. The Indy attendance isn't even that of an Xfinity race.

I don't think the spring race is going anywhere. My point in listing the tracks was that none of them seemed likely to receive the date. Maybe NW but let's see how that does after a few years and the cost of attending regularly has sunk in.

I don't have attendance numbers but to my untrained eye and faulty memory, the Bristol stands looked about the same two weeks ago as they did four years ago. If there was no significant boost in either attendance or TV viewers, why bother spending the money every spring?

Tony and the track in Ohio could just share profits with SMI like they are doing at COTA I believe. SMI does not own COTA.

Bristol could make money having an SEC / ACC football game or something as well.
So it goes from Keep Bristol pavement to get rid of one race and go football...Lol that's rich

Didn't seem to be a concern for Texas, a track with the same owner.

I don't think the spring race is going anywhere. My point in listing the tracks was that none of them seemed likely to receive the date. Maybe NW but let's see how that does after a few years and the cost of attending regularly has sunk in.

I don't have attendance numbers but to my untrained eye and faulty memory, the Bristol stands looked about the same two weeks ago as they did four years ago. If there was no significant boost in either attendance or TV viewers, why bother spending the money every spring?
Texas is in a very large urban area. They have the advantage of being able to hold events almost all year long and they do. Bristol doesn't have that luxury to be close to that many people for extra revenue.

So it goes from Keep Bristol pavement to get rid of one race and go football...Lol that's rich

You need to reread. Never wanted to keep the Bristol spring race as asphalt.

Putting on a football game is also an ESPN decision sometimes, we don’t know all the specifics.

Didn't seem to be a concern for Texas, a track with the same owner. The Indy attendance isn't even that of an Xfinity race.

2016 to jog your memory. Attendance had dropped every year from 2008

The none Crown Jewel races at Bristol, Charlotte and Daytona do nothing for me as a fan. If anything they slightly take away from the mystic of the Crown Jewel races. I would be perfectly fine with them replacing these 3 races with races at other tracks.

Replace Charlotte Roval with Road America, Bristol Dirt with Eldora or another dirt track and Daytona with another oval. Indy oval and Roval does nothing for me in general and I personally don’t consider it a crown jewel or care if they race there at all. Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️.

The none Crown Jewel races at Bristol, Charlotte and Daytona do nothing for me as a fan. If anything they slightly take away from the mystic of the Crown Jewel races. I would be perfectly fine with them replacing these 3 races with races at other tracks.

Replace Charlotte Roval with Road America, Bristol Dirt with Eldora or another dirt track and Daytona with another oval. Indy oval and Roval does nothing for me in general and I personally don’t consider it a crown jewel or care if they race there at all. Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️.
I forgot to add Darlington. Id actually like to keep 2 races there just because of how great the racing is there.

I heard it was somewhere around $2 million. Fox's TV money was basically covering most of that since they were the ones that wanted it.

Is there a source for the word going around with legs?
Several media people said this was the 1st dirt race they didn't try to sell fans tickets for next years events
That’s certainly an indicator of something. Perhaps they’re considering a date change to get away from the Easter weekend. I have no idea.

It’s interesting that Goodyear designed and manufactured 15” radial dirt tires for the trucks and re-designed the Cup dirt tires to be more compliant. All that for a one-off? I doubt it.

Here is the Spring disaster from 2018. It was rainy like it was this year, they called the race after three tries for rain so this is the Monday crowd. School was out and school kids got free tickets to attend. The chances of a rain out with dirt on the track reduces this from happening. At that time 3 out of 5 races had rain problems.

1681843908166.png

Bristol has the ability to host other events outside of NASCAR so the idea that having a facility as large as their's needs 2 Cup races to justify their overhead is incorrect. They have the drag strip, and they can/have/do host other events on the oval like late models and the Cletus MacFarlane event. No the oval events aren't huge for attendence but back gate money has to be profitable if you can get 100 cars/teams charging $50 a pit fee for each crew member.

This is from the 2019 race where they intentionally closed off the sections on each end of the track. They MIGHT have had 35k there.

Attachments

• 2000.jpeg
    2000.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 49
Bristol is still one of the most popular tracks on the schedule, and I bet fan polls/surveys prove that. Dirt or no dirt, I feel like the only problem with the spring race is the date and time. That was ALWAYS the problem. Attendance and ratings are great for the night race, and not so much for Easter Sunday, gee I wonder why.....

I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems like the logical solution would be to move the spring race to a Saturday night in May. Bristol is the LAST track that should ever lose a race IMO.

Bristol is still one of the most popular tracks on the schedule, and I bet fan polls/surveys prove that. Dirt or no dirt, I feel like the only problem with the spring race is the date and time. That was ALWAYS the problem. Attendance and ratings are great for the night race, and not so much for Easter Sunday, gee I wonder why.....

I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems like the logical solution would be to move the spring race to a Saturday night in May. Bristol is the LAST track that should ever lose a race IMO.
The ratings and attendance haven't shown that for years. I would wager the spring race if standing on it's own without TV money would already have been closed by now. Both dirt races have been an improvement. They deal with the weather better. Are they making money? That's hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom