'21 Generation 7 Car news

So nobody has any comments on the above videos? Seems like they have it figured out. 18" wheels with one nut too. I know they are using 4 tire guys but we could still only have two.

So nobody has any comments on the above videos? Seems like they have it figured out. 18" wheels with one nut too. I know they are using 4 tire guys but we could still only have two.
To many men over the wall For Nascar. Pit crew size is one way for cutting costs and a lot of fans like to watch the precision.
No need for a board man, Nascar's idea for board on a pole from the other side of the wall is good enough and it is safer. Firemen don't need to be on pit road, another safety measure .
Nascar can change tires with just 2 men ( front and rear). Air jacks ae no different because they still have 1 man designated for the job as does Nascar BUT the Jackman can assist a tire changer.
All in All, Nascar is more entertaining and is safer than open wheel.
Pit strategy in open wheel is different than Nascar. They don't have 36 cars pitting at the same time.
The only change I would like to see with Nascar is " Pit stops under green only".
That would be a safety change IMO.

The only change I would like to see with Nascar is " Pit stops under green only".

I have wanted this since we went to the stages. If the leader has a 4 second lead they throw a caution and bunch them all up again, eliminating his advantage. Bring them down under green then race to the line for the yellow

Some of you are politicians. I've seen screaming over the single nut wheels. Been done. They use 4 air jacks which are located in positions that would be unlikely to be damaged. The air hose connector is located at a point, again, unlikely to be damaged in a "survivable" wreck. No reason they couldn't still use a jack if needed after plate track wreck. Nascar determines amount of crew. 3- 4 or 5 guys? I don't care. I watch for the racing. Pit stops aren't a focus.

The videos are from 2014. Some of you need to step into the now. Or pony up the money to restart Hudson.

Pure guess work on my part but I think the outside vendor chassis transaxle is a lot cheaper with the single nut hubs brakes and bearings than having to re-machine everything for 5 lugs. Nascar has been dinging teams to death at $10,000 a pop for one loose wheel nut. A single lug nut will eliminate all of that.

The Charlie Super Speedway test.

Hey, I'll never object to running single car time trials at Daytona. I consider that a better use of the facility than the current Kenner Deluxe SSP Smash-up Derby Set activities.

EDIT: I am very disappointed to find there's no Wikipedia entry for Smash-up Derby, possibly even more disappointed than in the finish of most pack races.

Hey, I'll never object to running single car time trials at Daytona. I consider that a better use of the facility than the current Kenner Deluxe SSP Smash-up Derby Set activities.

Best use within reason, since our fantasy that they would reconfigure the oval is just that: move everything to the Roval going forward.

Sounds like they have the car dialed in pretty well:

“Daytona was an important test for us because when we come back here in 2022, we have to make sure we hit the speed targets that we’re looking for,” said Probst. “We came here with one car; obviously we would like to come here with 15 or 20, but we just don’t have that many right now.
“So we played with a lot of horsepower levels and drag levels to hit our target speed, which we were able to do pretty easily. We did that early in day one. Then spent the rest of the test trying some new things on steering and also doing some ride-height sweeps just to get some sensitivities in the car to ride height.”

I wonder who wired-up the data acquisition gear?

I’ve never seen anything quite like that.
People that have aftermarket alarms/radios/remote start systems installed have no idea how much of a mess is happening under their dash. Then it comes into the shop for some electrical device not working and we find spaghetti wiring like this which is tapped into a NETWORK which screws up EVERYTHING on the network. This is an example of multiple different companies data acquisition being wired over top of each other. Just ridiculous.

Best use within reason, since our fantasy that they would reconfigure the oval is just that: move everything to the Roval going forward.
Maybe in the future they can keep the cars set up to go left, but have them go backward around the track so that they are actually turning right, in order to keep speeds down.

:sarcasm:

Of course they are. NASCAR just wants to change absolutely everything.

The cars in the All-Star Race looked awful.

People that have aftermarket alarms/radios/remote start systems installed have no idea how much of a mess is happening under their dash. Then it comes into the shop for some electrical device not working and we find spaghetti wiring like this which is tapped into a NETWORK which screws up EVERYTHING on the network.

I don't disagree, but SOME of the blame can be put on the manufacturers for not making it easier to add on extra equipment, ESPECIALLY on trucks, that the have to KNOW people are going to add on to. They've got fuse panels as big as a household breaker panel but will they give you enough auxiliary ports and of the right type (Hot all the time, hot with the key on, etc.) to tie in much of this stuff? Hell no.

I don't disagree, but SOME of the blame can be put on the manufacturers for not making it easier to add on extra equipment, ESPECIALLY on trucks, that the have to KNOW people are going to add on to. They've got fuse panels as big as a household breaker panel but will they give you enough auxiliary ports and of the right type (Hot all the time, hot with the key on, etc.) to tie in much of this stuff? Hell no.

I asked...do you want pretty or functional? Functional it is. Saturn alternator and modern fuses found anywhere. This stuff isn't that hard. Or shouldn't be for freaking engineers.

Attachments

• IMG_20170228_151315189.jpg
    IMG_20170228_151315189.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Ok...sometimes getting pictures from my phone is quite the chore. Tried using sharing phone with Win 10 to PC...only about 25 pictures show up. IDK.
Alternator and fuse panel install.jpg
Alternators.jpg

Attachments

• Alternator install.jpg
    Alternator install.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Custom fuse panel.jpg
    Custom fuse panel.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 97
If i can repair a harness like this...surely these highly paid guys can do better. Inexcusable IMO.

Attachments

• 7.3 Engine harness wiring damage.jpg
    7.3 Engine harness wiring damage.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • 7.3 Finished harness.jpg
    7.3 Finished harness.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 7.3  wiring damage.jpg
    7.3 wiring damage.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 7.3 wiring soldering.jpg
    7.3 wiring soldering.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Adding a fuse panel in a vehicle is very simple as long as the equipment your adding has its own computer or does not require a computer. Prior to LED lighting, Snow plows had an additional 60 amp load capacity added and usually a second battery.

Ok...sometimes getting pictures from my phone is quite the chore. Tried using sharing phone with Win 10 to PC...only about 25 pictures show up. IDK.View attachment 51118View attachment 51119
Went from 28 to I think 95 amp. That old alternator wouldn't power lights, wipers, heater/defroster & ignition if you got caught out at night. Sorry for the hijack guys. I tend to make everything about me...was kind of proud how this one went though. All worked first time.

What we in networking call 'spaghetti', and we don't mean it nicely. Drunk Italians? I've seen it done by stone sober Americans.

Adding a fuse panel in a vehicle is very simple as long as the equipment your adding has its own computer or does not require a computer. Prior to LED lighting, Snow plows had an additional 60 amp load capacity added and usually a second battery.

Well it CAN be a real problem if you need key on only power. If you want hot all the time, you can just go to the battery, but on hot with key, it can be VERY difficult to find a circuit you can easily tie into that is good for much amperage draw, unless you want to run a bunch of relays. Even WITH LED lighting, plows draw a TON of juice, and two batteries is an absolute must in my opinion, but the new problem that has cropped up is these damn de-clutching alternators. I currently plow with a 2014 3500 Silverado with a 9' V-plow, and I see voltage numbers bouncing all over the place when plowing as the alternator goes on break and then has to try to catch up.

People that have aftermarket alarms/radios/remote start systems installed have no idea how much of a mess is happening under their dash. Then it comes into the shop for some electrical device not working and we find spaghetti wiring like this which is tapped into a NETWORK which screws up EVERYTHING on the network. This is an example of multiple different companies data acquisition being wired over top of each other. Just ridiculous.

they call that "a rat's nest" where I come from.

Back
Top Bottom