'21 Generation 7 Car news

They already HAVE a repair policy, reduced from the days of specialized teams and crash carts and it saves thousands. And you are thinking it is going back to that? Nobody is going to take an hour to repair a car in a race in Nascar there are rules that prohibit that. As for for the 20 minutes of practice, they will spend that time trying to get a lap or two to setup the backup car. You are all over the place Bud. Very little if any of your ideas are practical. Rules would have to be changed and that is highly doubtful. Not a peep about any changes for next year.
So they will never do any repair to a Next Gen at the track. Got it. And I never said they would repair a car DURING a race.

Oh. I assumed firewall forward ... the chunk you’re preparing to wheel out of the transporter in one piece.

Starter. Alternator. Electronic fuel injection. Electric cooling fan(s). Electronic engine management system / data acquisition. All hard-wired.
So the wiring from the dash panel to the starter and other accessories have NO connectors, say at the firewall? You know this for sure?

Think where most of you disagree with everything I say is you are stuck on what you believe the rules will be. They will change. Or be lots of 30 car fields cause smaller teams can't get their back-ups ready in time. Cause first half of season gonna need a bunch of clips & body panels.

So the wiring from the dash panel to the starter and other accessories have NO connectors, say at the firewall? You know this for sure?
I didn’t say that.

You make a claim ... it’s questioned ... you deflect.

Think where most of you disagree with everything I say is you are stuck on what you believe the rules will be. They will change. Or be lots of 30 car fields cause smaller teams can't get their back-ups ready in time. Cause first half of season gonna need a bunch of clips & body panels.
Nobody disagrees with “everything” you say.

The rest of your prognostication will have to wait.

I didn’t say that.

You make a claim ... it’s questioned ... you deflect.
Guess my definition of hardwired is different from yours.

Which is the best definition of the word hardwired?
  • hard·wired | \\ˈhärd-ˌwī(-ə)rd \\. 1 : implemented in the form of permanent electronic circuits also : connected or incorporated by or as if by permanent electrical connections a hardwired phone concepts of attractiveness may be universal and hardwired into the human brain — Jane E. Brody.

The above, for me, means running a wire from point A to B without any way to disconnect it at any point except the ends. As in bulkhead connectors. Weather Pak connectors. So you DON"T have to fish 15 feet of wire thru a conduit to remove something.

Guess my definition of hardwired is different from yours.

Which is the best definition of the word hardwired?
  • hard·wired | \\ˈhärd-ˌwī(-ə)rd \\. 1 : implemented in the form of permanent electronic circuits also : connected or incorporated by or as if by permanent electrical connections a hardwired phone concepts of attractiveness may be universal and hardwired into the human brain — Jane E. Brody.

The above, for me, means running a wire from point A to B without any way to disconnect it at any point except the ends. As in bulkhead connectors. Weather Pak connectors. So you DON"T have to fish 15 feet of wire thru a conduit to remove something.
More deflection.

Use of quick-connectors is commonplace.

Nah I don't think so. If any of these claims your are saying is true, we would have heard about it. Just because Dillion rushes back to the test with the whole shop working on his car doesn't equate to teams fixing cars while out on the road.
So they will never do any repair to a Next Gen at the track. Got it. And I never said they would repair a car DURING a race.
So while you continue to crawfish, tell me just exactally how that is going to work with 20 minutes of practice, then Qualifying, and then impound until the race?

Nah I don't think so. If any of these claims your are saying is true, we would have heard about it. Just because Dillion rushes back to the test with the whole shop working on his car doesn't equate to teams fixing cars while out on the road.

So while you continue to crawfish, tell me just exactally how that is going to work with 20 minutes of practice, then Qualifying, and then impound until the race?
Can they prepare a back-up in the time between? No engine in back-up.

Have you ever watched any Indycar racing? They fix the wrecked cars AT THE TRACK all the time. If tub ain't broke, fix it.
That may be the first thing you’ve posted that supports your case, although it is a lot easier without all that sheet metal in the way.

for sure you think Nascar gives a dam if the car doesn't pass after a wreck. Who wants to chance that? I think there is too much Bubba at the local dirt track hammering it to fit instead of talking about 1/16 of an inch or less tolerances
Well, that too, but more like will teams have the necessary time to do those major repairs before the garage is locked?

Well, that too, but more like will teams have the necessary time to do those major repairs before the garage is locked?
One of the flaws in "your" argument is, they don't have time to fix the car. Again, how long does it take to prep a back-up? Nobody knows that yet. If you wreck 18 minutes into practice, do you just load up the smoldering mess and go home? Nope. You fix it or go to back-up just like they've always done.

for sure you think Nascar gives a dam if the car doesn't pass after a wreck. Who wants to chance that? I think there is too much Bubba at the local dirt track hammering it to fit instead of talking about 1/16 of an inch or less tolerances
Hmmmm? Some editing I see. The cars are built/designed so the clips bend before the main structure. They just tested some new parts created JUST for that purpose. Much like Indycars & high dollar sports cars, these will get "fixed" instead of going in Juniors junkyard. Except for the plate races. Car killers.

One of the flaws in "your" argument is, they don't have time to fix the car. Again, how long does it take to prep a back-up? Nobody knows that yet. If you wreck 18 minutes into practice, do you just load up the smoldering mess and go home? Nope. You fix it or go to back-up just like they've always done.
It was a question, not an argument. You can tell by the question mark.

And I agree. We differ ONLY on whether replacing a badly damaged front clip is worth the time and resources vs. pulling that backup out. Nobody has said at any time in this discussion that teams won't be making repairs before a race. I'm not sure where you keep getting that from.

It was a question, not an argument. You can tell by the question mark.

And I agree. We differ ONLY on whether replacing a badly damaged front clip is worth the time and resources vs. pulling that backup out. Nobody has said at any time in this discussion that teams won't be making repairs before a race. I'm not sure where you keep getting that from.
From my angle all I'm hearing is NO, NO, NO, NO. You are the FIRST that agreed that some repair MIGHT be done. Without exception everyone else has said BACK-Up!

But all this depends on how many cars get destroyed early in the season. If the main structure survives I disagree with the idea of it HAS to go back to the shop for repair. Clips are dowel pinned. That's a constant whole lot closer than 1/16" I've seen mentioned.

From my angle all I'm hearing is NO, NO, NO, NO. You are the FIRST that agreed that some repair MIGHT be done. Without exception everyone else has said BACK-Up!

But all this depends on how many cars get destroyed early in the season. If the main structure survives I disagree with the idea of it HAS to go back to the shop for repair. Clips are dowel pinned. That's a constant whole lot closer than 1/16" I've seen mentioned.

Where is this dowel pinned info at? They look bolted together in the pictures?

Some of you are bullheaded in that you refuse to explore all and every idea. One thing won't change, teams will do what is the best and cheapest with Nascar's permission. The body panels have been described as self healing. If that is true, minor damage during practice may only need scuff marks to be removed and for more damage, they will simply change that panel. No body work needed.

Dowel pin hole between bolts/studs.

Attachments

• Next Gen RF.png
    Next Gen RF.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 70
Then go back and reread.. The only thing 95% of people have disagreed with is replacing badly damaged front clip. Even much of that disagreement is that it may be possible but question whether it's practical.
Pretty much and I don't see it as being practical to carrying a whole car full of parts for every situation. They do that with back up cars. Because of the one engine rule, teams have to get Nascar's permission to change to another engine if their primary engine is damaged.

The only repair allowed is to change the body panel with Nascar's permission.
I have wondered if they will use sheetmetal patch panels and bear bond for quick body repairs, or will they use cpmposite patches. My bet is they will stay with the metal...more versatile

I guess they will have a porta power on board to straighten out that flange and the crooked dowel pin hole after a wreck. :biggrin:

View attachment 59052
Saw where they mentioned just that problem with early crashed car. I'm guessing the one Byron wrecked. Said the mounting plate actually rotated? Not in the direction expected. They changed the design/mounting of them.

Back
Top Bottom