'21 Generation 7 Car news

Qualify and start 21 or slack off and start 31 makes little difference depending on track.
Starting 5th or 25th is another matter. You would use up the tires trying to recover.
I would rather start near front and block than start further back and try passing Newman. :D
As you noted, it depends on the track. And I acknowledge my remark about NASCAR already trying starting on Q tires was back when they had staged qualifying, and the difference in sandbagging was between 13th and 12th.

Last edited:
Somebody on Reddit whipped this out. 18" wheels and IRS.

boezeqdyshg31.jpg

Yeah me too. Whole new ball game. You don't just stick some 18" on and call it good. IRS will be a game changer..and who knows what the electric assist will end up being, Not a word so far

I wish they could run the actual body. but then the Camry would have to run a V-6 and four doors :)

Leave it just like that and the drivers will have to cut down on the rubbin is racin. Which is not a bad idea by the way. Maybe it will move to a more modern form of competition.

The difference is if it’s avoidable contact they get penalized. It deters them from using each other up.

To each his own. I would like to see that car race. They would have to change the way they race bottom line.

I don't think the camber is off that terribly either in the picture. On the rears yeah. Today's Goodyears are tall so I'm guessing with the larger wheel the thinner tires won't flex as much, camber is pretty drastic on today's road course car, they even get some out of the solid axle rear end. Braking should be incredible without wheel hop

iu

What effect will this have on a crew chief's options for air pressure? Seems to me less volume would reduce the amount a team can vary the tire pressures, esp. for lower inflation early in a run.

Warning massive wall of text incoming...

The biggest problem with NASCAR right now, isn't the stagnant schedule nor is it rules inconsistency or constant rule changes (I'll address them in another post), It's the on track product that is the main issue. Which is generally a result of a car that is too aero sensitive, while the current aero package is a step in the right direction, I feel like there is still so much to do in terms of improving the racing itself. The following list is primarily is based off what we already know about the Gen 7 car, combined with what I'd personally like to see.
**THE ENGINE**
As a racing series built on the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" principle, I feel like in terms of automotive technology, NASCAR Cup engines need to reflect the latest in automotive industry trends. The automotive industry is trending to electrification at the moment, however, based on current EV technology, there is no way a fully electric vehicle can met the current demands of NASCAR Cup Series racing. Hybrid ICE/Electric engines are the way to go for now.
Personally, I feel like the new engine package
should be a turbocharged 500HP V8 ICE, combined with 2 250 horsepower electric motors on the front and rear axels for a combined total of 1,000HP.
As for an ERS, instead of KERS (which uses braking energy), an EHRS (exhaust heat recovery system) is used. The EHRS system harnesses the heat from the exhaust gas and
turns it into electrical energy which is stored in a battery and can be used by the driver at any time during a race for a boost of 50 horsepower in the electric motors for 5 seconds.
**THE CHASSIS**
The Chassis is a steel tube frame and specifically designed to where a team no longer needs to build track specific cars, which means less chassis need to be built, therefore also saving the team money.
**THE BODY**
First things first, the practice of skewing the sides of the race cars out in an extreme manner is officially banned. You heard me right, the Twisted Sisters are gone. It has been pretty well established, that the biggest problem with the racing for years has been sideforce, plus it totally defeats the point of designing the cars to resemble their production counterparts, which is one of the entire points of the Gen 7 car.
Essentially, I'm using that X-3 car that was tested at Kansas a little while ago as a template for the car's aerodynamics. It eliminated sideforce by engineering the car to be equal in the front and back as well as left and right which would keep it straight around corners. At the front, a bulge was created, making it impossible to seal off which would allow for greater downforce. By eliminating sideforce, the air would flow easier over the car which would allow clean air for the car behind.
[This video by Realradman could explain the aerodynamics of the X-3 car and the big aerodynamic issues with the current car better than I could]( In addition to solving the aero sensitivity problem, making the cars as close to symmetrical as possible, will make
As for the body itself, it's a fiberglass composite. Based off of the composite bodies run in the Xfinity series. By switching to flange fit composite body panels, less time will be spent in the body shop and in the wind tunnel, saving teams time and money.
**MISCELLANEOUS**
We already know the car will have bigger wheels and bigger tires, as well as Independent Rear Suspensions.
Speaking of tires… one idea that NASCAR experimented with at the All Star Race a few years ago, that was never used to the fullest, was allowing teams to choose between tire compounds. I say, let's try that again in longer races for an entire season. It could open up a lot of new strategic options for teams. In order to prevent teams from gaming the system however, teams have to start the race on the same set of tires they qualified on. And they are limited to 2 or 3 sets of specific tire compounds per weekend. The tire type is denoted by the color of the "Goodyear Eagle" text on the sidewall. (The colors are derived from Goodyear's corporate color scheme).
White- Soft tires, the grippiest tire compound, but wears quick..
Yellow- The current tire compound is now considered the mediun tire.
Blue-Hard tires, Significantly less grippy, but they last longer.
Light Blue- Intermediate Tires, used for damp tracks and or light rain conditions.
Aqua Blue- Rain Tires.
Also, in order to return the sport, to it's "Win on Sunday, Sell On Monday" , the homologation rule is reinstated. In order for a car (or truck) model to be approved by NASCAR for competition, 5,000 cars of that model must be produced and sold to the general public.
Hmm, that video specifically validates everything I've thought.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

18" wheels.
Maybe I'm the last to know, but I just read this will happen next year. Assuming true, what do lower aspect ratio tires mean for handling, wear, etc?

18" wheels.
Maybe I'm the last to know, but I just read this will happen next year. Assuming true, what do lower aspect ratio tires mean for handling, wear, etc?
They don't really know from the article, more tire fall off yada yada, pretty much the same song Goodyear has been singing

Goodyear to debut radically different NASCAR Cup Series tires in 2021
Goodyear director of racing tire sales Greg Stucker told Autoweek over the weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway that the decision had less to do with competition and more in the pursuit of showroom vehicle aesthetics.
https://autoweek.com/article/monste...ically-different-nascar-cup-series-tires-2021

I've overlooked the increased width of the wheels and tires. Does anyone know what numbers are being discussed? Will this require repositioning other assemblies to accommodate the increased width?

KIA has the Stinger coupe which i think is a good fit with the other muscle cars. But they don't have a truck to support the truck series. Dodge has the RAM and Nissan has the Titan. But who knows what Kia has up it's sleeves going forward. Some new truck they want to promote?
Also Honda would be a good fit. They might struggle with the Civic but they have the Ridgeline. But again, who knows what they have up their sleeves? A new muscle car they want to show off?
Who knows? I don't see any new manufacturers until after the Gen 7 car is out for a year or two.

https://www.motor1.com/news/364709/kia-hyundai-truck-body-styles/

Trucks are coming....

Thinking about the U.S. market and going there are two different things. Honda tried it and failed.

Thinking about the U.S. market and going there are two different things. Honda tried it and failed.

Failed in the US? I wouldn’t say that lol it was the #4 brand in the country last year in sales behind Ford, Toyota and Chevy.

Now the truck market is one thing, but the reason Ford and GM basically got out of the coupe/sedan game is because Honda/Toyota dominate it

Failed in the US? I wouldn’t say that lol it was the #4 brand in the country last year in sales behind Ford, Toyota and Chevy.

Now the truck market is one thing, but the reason Ford and GM basically got out of the coupe/sedan game is because Honda/Toyota dominate it

# 11 in sales.lol yourself
The cars that saw the largest year-over-year drop in sales were the Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Titan, and Ram Pickup.

The cars that saw the largest year-over-year drop in sales are Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Titan, and Ram Pickup. The Honda Ridgeline saw the greatest year-over-year decline, with its sales down 19.4% as compared to 2017.

11. Honda Ridgeline: 14,988 sold in 2018. Down 19.4% over 2017.

Looks to me that Nascar might want to move their truck bodies from full sized to mid sized. Ranger, Colorado, Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline, new Kia truck, new Dakota or new Commanche.
Mustang, Camaro, Altima, Supra, Civic, Stinger, Challenger
Seems like a good fit to me.

Welp, this is what I hoped would not happen. With the teams building chassis, even within the tight box specified by the Nascar rulebook, it was a welcome source of differentiation to me. A Penske chassis is not the same as a SHR chassis; a Gibbs is not a HMS or a Childress.

I've thought about the reasons for my general ambivalence toward IndyCar racing. The spec chassis is part of it (there are other reasons as well). For Nascar to go this way, it will be another sizable step toward homogenization of the cup grid. **Sigh**

I do recognize the importance of controlling costs, and I do see how this would cost less. I'd hoped it would happen in a way that doesn't lessen the appeal of the product, but it looks like that was asking too much.

This looks like a camber gang/stancenation fan boy bought an SS, destroyed the suspension, and threw BBS's on it...

I'd love to see those stretched tires de-bead pretty much immediately. Lmfao.
LOL

I haven’t found the source yet but some guy in the RACER comments claims Corey LaJoie said on a podcast that Five Star will produce the bodies. So essentially becoming like IndyCar where it’s mostly an engine formula with some items open for development (ex: dampers), maybe with some aero tuning options.

It kinda stinks in a way but in the racertainment era and in the interest of cost savings I get why it’s happening.

I haven’t found the source yet but some guy in the RACER comments claims Corey LaJoie said on a podcast that Five Star will produce the bodies. So essentially becoming like IndyCar where it’s mostly an engine formula with some items open for development (ex: dampers), maybe with some aero tuning options.

It kinda stinks in a way but in the racertainment era and in the interest of cost savings I get why it’s happening.
The racertainment era... yep. Like Roger Penske said, "It's not just a 7th generation of the car; it's Nascar 7.0."

Back
Top Bottom