'21 Generation 7 Car news

The wait for the new car doesn't bother me. I am disapointed because of the changes they made this year was producing some really good races and I was curious if they could keep that pace up the whole year.

I guess this opens up a lot of things that will need to be addressed. Will there still be an engineering freeze til the new car? How many chassis will they allow going forward?

IMO I think keeping the teams limited as much as possible will keep more teams in the sport, but on the other hand what is racing without innovation?

But that doesn’t mean all teams were for the change. Organizations already had scheduled out their car builds to try to end the 2020 season with as few cars as possible. Since the NextGen car was going to primarily be a kit car teams built from parts and pieces they bought from vendors, teams will now need to restock parts and pieces to field the current car through 2021.

I did notice the Action Express hauler was parked at the back of the One Daytona lot by the Bass Pro.

Additionally, competition officials revealed that IMSA team Action Express Racing is making laps Monday with its own Next Gen prototype at the Daytona International Speedway Road Course. The team test is being conducted with reigning series champ Felipe Nasr and Team Penske’s Austin Cindric, who won Saturday’s Xfinity Series race on the 3.61-mile Daytona Road Course layout.

“The Action Express test allows a sports car team to learn about the architecture of the Next Gen car and explore any opportunities to adopt new technologies,” said John Probst, NASCAR Senior VP of Innovation and Racing Development. “The test also benefits NASCAR — it helps us check the durability of parts, helps with tire development and gives us data from a road course test.”

I did notice the Action Express hauler was parked at the back of the One Daytona lot by the Bass Pro.

That's a completely different style of car that is coincidentally revising it's design. Reddit's confused again; it has nothing to do with Cup G7. (I know you know that, I'm tossing that out for others who may read this.)

It does make me wonder if AE's test runs include the new chicane, but that's for the 'Sports Car' thread.

Rumor on reddit is they are also testing on the Daytona road course today:

Bozi is an awesome follow, he works for the Hyundai TCR team as a mechanic.

Custer gets the nod? Interesting, I remember Bowyer was the one to test the Next-Gen car at Atlanta before the pandemic paused the season. It will be cool to how NASCAR is progressing with the car. Especially, now with it being pushed back to 2022. Not to sound cliche, but the future of the sport really rides on this car and NASCAR cannot afford to miss the target...

That's a completely different style of car that is coincidentally revising it's design. Reddit's confused again; it has nothing to do with Cup G7. (I know you know that, I'm tossing that out for others who may read this.)

It does make me wonder if AE's test runs include the new chicane, but that's for the 'Sports Car' thread.
It’s a Cup Gen-7. Very small blade too, from what it looks like.

Why the heck would AE and Felipe be tossing around a G7? NASCAR previously used Cup drivers for testing, so I assume it isn't competitive advantage.

"Action Express built the car on its own car and rented the track to conduct the private test, according to multiple sources. " Da Hell?

Why the heck would AE and Felipe be tossing around a G7? NASCAR previously used Cup drivers for testing, so I assume it isn't competitive advantage.
It's Jim France's team...

I mean he is the top executive in NASCAR, so he can do what he like. I do like the fact they are gathering data for the new car and even went through the process of putting the car together. I really hope this new car kicks ass from the start.

I mean he is the top executive in NASCAR, so he can do what he like. I do like the fact they are gathering data for the new car and even went through the process of putting the car together. I really hope this new car kicks ass from the start.
I have no objections, I'm just a bit confused over this apparent change in testing format.

"Action Express built the car on its own car and rented the track to conduct the private test, according to multiple sources. " Da Hell?
Strictly my speculation, but it could be a good test mule for a spec hybrid system.

I was surprised to see this mentioned in the tweet above. I never knew Action Express was owned by NASCAR's Jim France. Wikipedia reports the team is owned by Bob Johnson..:idunno:

I was surprised to see this mentioned in the tweet above. I never knew Action Express was owned by NASCAR's Jim France. Wikipedia reports the team is owned by Bob Johnson..:idunno:
Jim was a founder of the team and has been reducing his investment in the team, I think. In its Grand-Am origins it was the first team to re-employ JC France after his drug fiasco. The contraction to one car for this year is believed to be a result of Jim pulling back some financially and not agreeing to new terms with Mustang Sampling.

It would not be unprecedented because Felix Sabates testified in his divorce proceedings that CGR got some funding for its DP program from the France family in order to boost Grand-Am fields and stature.

Gary Nelson manager of Action Express was VP of Nascar's R&D department. Bobby Allison's crew chief, Winston Cup series director.

I would say he knows his way around a race car

Nelson was inducted into the West Coast Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame and is credited with many innovations still in use today in racing. Roof flaps, power steering, generation 5 NASCAR chassis, cowl flaps, are a few.

I don't know if I hope it's sarcastic or not. While I'd love to see it, I find it hard to believe they'd jump on board in 2021, just to trash everything they'd learn when the 2022 car rolls out.

The crew chief of the #9 Chevrolet Camaro, Alan Gustafson, recently spoke with media after his win at the Daytona road course race with Chase Elliot. We checked in with him to find out his thoughts on the Next Gen car and Dover, asking whether the car was more suited for road courses or ovals based on how it was designed. Gustafson noted that “the car is more suited for road course racing and more suited for street course racing,” over oval racing due to the way the underbody is built, the aerodynamic setup of the car, and the fact that it will be symmetrical. Gustafson did not expand beyond that on the car’s design but, according to additional sources, the chassis will be built as a symmetrical unit and any changes that need to be done for road courses (versus ovals) will pertain to suspension uprights or control arms.

Gustafson called the Next Gen racer very “V-8 Supercar-esqe.” The larger brake size is due to the increased wheel size, and these changes should make the cars faster at road courses and short tracks like Martinsville, which are typically harder on brakes. High-speed oval courses, by contrast, are generally light on braking.

If I was AJ Allmendinger or Marcos Ambrose, I would be vying for a seat back in the Cup series...

I think we had an idea the new Cup cars looked similar to V8 Supercars and now Gustafson brings it up, this car is going to be a major adjustment for all drivers involved. The lack of side force will be a major change to all, I just wonder with less side force will mean more possible off-throttle time as well? Suspension setups and medicinal grip will be more important than ever. I hope CC's are open to making all-new notebooks.

Without having a flat billboard on the side of course side force will be less. The symmetrical body is similar to way back when. But tire, suspension, and setup technology are going to gain a bunch of speed back than the way it was back in the old old school days.

It may be too early to say what the body will look like or how it will perform. The body on the test car is a placeholder for what each manufacturer is creating. Unless the template information has been made public or leaked.

If I was AJ Allmendinger or Marcos Ambrose, I would be vying for a seat back in the Cup series...

I think we had an idea the new Cup cars looked similar to V8 Supercars and now Gustafson brings it up, this car is going to be a major adjustment for all drivers involved. The lack of side force will be a major change to all, I just wonder with less side force will mean more possible off-throttle time as well? Suspension setups and medicinal grip will be more important than ever. I hope CC's are open to making all-new notebooks.
It doesn't seem they'll have much choice. I wasn't sure about all this change at first but I'm warming up to it and I'm sure it'll be an interesting new day when they hit the track.

Back
Top Bottom