'21 Generation 7 Car news

Probably doesn't cut it. Never cut short a task just to complete another, it soon becomes a bad habit and confuses the brain.
"Train like you'll fight; fight like you trained."

If they're just working on changes and not incorporating the full sequence, they're better off not rolling the tire back at all.

Beaten by McLeod? What a hack.
Yeah Bowman has fallen to driving a Ford

1637433498161.png

Guys, I don't think the idea of the modular design of the NextGen car is to make it easier to repair on the track. I agree with @aunty dive that they'll still bring a backup car to the track.

I think what the modular design is supposed to do is to make it so that when a car does crash, the chassis isn't junk'd and the team has to build a completely new one from scratch. With the modular design, they can take it back to the shop, replace what needs to be replaced and get it ready in time for next weekend's race.

Guys, I don't think the idea of the modular design of the NextGen car is to make it easier to repair on the track. I agree with @aunty dive that they'll still bring a backup car to the track.

I think what the modular design is supposed to do is to make it so that when a car does crash, the chassis isn't junk'd and the team has to build a completely new one from scratch. With the modular design, they can take it back to the shop, replace what needs to be replaced and get it ready in time for next weekend's race.
With "the old cars" repairing the body became basically impossible at the track. Just couldn't get it close enough to pass inspection. Now they will have spec parts to mount the body. I'm sure they can build a screw jack type of jack-stand to duplicate a surface plate. If the cars are more equal then starting last WILL be a penalty some won't want to pay. Fix the primary to keep your starting spot. I miss seeing cars get repaired. Back-ups are boring.

Nope it looks the same to me also

At every pit stop I watch, I cringe when I see the front tire changer just throw the tire out of his way. When I look at that, I see a need to change the pit crew trainer. This really applies to SHR and on all the cars.
What is the sense in having a fast front tire changer who gets around the car so fast he then has to wait for the jack man and then the car goes to the back of the longest line?????????

At every pit stop I watch, I cringe when I see the front tire changer just throw the tire out of his way. When I look at that, I see a need to change the pit crew trainer. This really applies to SHR and on all the cars.
What is the sense in having a fast front tire changer who gets around the car so fast he then has to wait for the jack man and then the car goes to the back of the longest line?????????
Onboard jacks in 3-5 years....maybe sooner. My two cents....they will be here at the same time as pit lane rev limiters.....and both of those can't come soon enough for me.

Onboard jacks in 3-5 years....maybe sooner. My two cents....they will be here at the same time as pit lane rev limiters.....and both of those can't come soon enough for me.
I don't see any value in on-board jacks. I think having only one lug will speed up the tire changes enough that the crew will be waiting on refueling. If that's the case, why invest in further speeding up the changes?

I don't see any value in on-board jacks. I think having only one lug will speed up the tire changes enough that the crew will be waiting on refueling. If that's the case, why invest in further speeding up the changes?
The NextGen is high tech....and it's going to get more technologically advanced with the hybrids coming. Having a bunch of guys running around to change wheels, etc. is low tech. No other series does it the way NASCAR does because they have moved on. NASCAR will get there--big jump this year....I am patient.

The main value in on board jacks is one less guy over the wall. I don't care what anyone says having a guy running around on put road carrying a heavy jack is dangerous. Do I want to see them gone? No but I think it will happen by way of safety

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The main value in on board jacks is one less guy over the wall. I don't care what anyone says having a guy running around on put road carrying a heavy jack is dangerous. Do I want to see them gone? No but I think it will happen by way of safety

It seems out of place with digital dashes, flat floored race cars, fuel injection, independent suspensions, etc., etc., etc...... I am biased....while I celebrate engineers and the people who work on these awesome cars, I don't want a race on pit road. Just don't.

More dangerous than a guy with a gas can?

But putting that aside, I'll repost my question from a long time ago: with all the beating and banging a stock car takes, will a pneumatic system remain sealed and effective after a RWR-Stenhouse encounter?

More dangerous than a guy with a gas can?

But putting that aside, I'll repost my question from a long time ago: with all the beating and banging a stock car takes, will a pneumatic system remain sealed and effective after a RWR-Stenhouse encounter?
I think the jack man is in a lot more danger than that gas man. Jack man jumps in front of the car and works on the traffic side of pit road.

As far as jacks I think an electronic system would be superior to an air system. No high pressure lines or seals to leak. In any case they would still have jack posts on the cars in case of a failure or to service them in the garage.

"This is a significant proof of concept, it showed that this type of repair is possible to do over a race weekend. It could also be significantly shortened if there was a front clip ready with most of the components mounted. It is very likely that we’ll see teams building up sets of spares to make this happen."

DOH! Who woulda thunk it?:owquitit:

Someone needs to ask Mr. Bozi Tatarevic and/or Ross Chastain how in tarnation you start a run WFO flat-footed... and over 35 laps you get 2 sec. of tire falloff... but you're still WFO flat-footed until the tire degradation reaches a full 2 sec. per lap and you just start to lift.

Dude, what slowed you down by 1.0 sec. and then 1.5 sec. if you haven't yet lifted???

I don't like to question the credentials of a supposed garage insider, but this article didn't leave me feeling smarter than before. Also, this is the guy that published some statements about Next Gen design and construction that were flat wrong, and later explained that, well, Wikipedia was wrong. Geez Louise, some garage insider... :idunno:

Someone needs to ask Mr. Bozi Tatarevic and/or Ross Chastain how in tarnation you start a run WFO flat-footed... and over 35 laps you get 2 sec. of tire falloff... but you're still WFO flat-footed until the tire degradation reaches a full 2 sec. per lap and you just start to lift.

Dude, what slowed you down by 1.0 sec. and then 1.5 sec. if you haven't yet lifted???

Regardless of this point, which I'm also curious about, doesn't two seconds of falloff over 35 laps seem quite significant? I would not think that would allow teams to stretch tires far beyond a single run in the way he's claiming.

I have to think that he's either reporting incorrect figures, or misconstruing the immense advantage two seconds per lap conveys.

Pockrass is pretty credible, but the only ways to lose two seconds a lap is to lose some conering speed OR not drive as fast :idunno: A person has to know where the info is coming from. A devout flat footer will not believe a loss of two seconds a lap even when it is showing on a stop watch

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but damn damn damn. I hate this. Not sure how or if this will influence their intentions of returning to NASCAR or not.
Eh, it could still happen.

However, it largely depends on the direction NASCAR goes in with the next engine and how significant will the hybrid piece be.

This a pretty long and comprehensive article about the Charlotte test and other topics. Interesting though for those who like that sort of thing. There is some car damage info for @KTMLew

From what I've read, took the RCR team about 5.5 hours of actual work to repair the car. And that was a car with extra wiring and data acquisition equipment in the way. Plus they weren't in any way prepared for it. So a bit of preparation & practice will make it easier. I really don't understand why so many here seem completely opposed to the idea?

From what I've read, took the RCR team about 5.5 hours of actual work to repair the car. And that was a car with extra wiring and data acquisition equipment in the way. Plus they weren't in any way prepared for it. So a bit of preparation & practice will make it easier. I really don't understand why so many here seem completely opposed to the idea?
They also had the luxury of working in a shop. Unlimited tooling, manpower and an ideal work place. Great for rebuilding the fleet back at the shop. Just not sure if repairs at the track are going to be feasible

They also had the luxury of working in a shop. Unlimited tooling, manpower and an ideal work place. Great for rebuilding the fleet back at the shop. Just not sure if repairs at the track are going to be feasible

Carrying that many parts and pieces? In a hauler? I can see it if they are in Charlotte or close by, but on the road a backup car looks like the way to go. Accidents during practice and qualifying are few and far between anyway.

Carrying that many parts and pieces? In a hauler? I can see it if they are in Charlotte or close by, but on the road a backup car looks like the way to go. Accidents during practice and qualifying are few and far between anyway.
Ok. You all are right. Nobody will attempt to fix any damage ever again. Back-ups for everyone! UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!

Ok. You all are right. Nobody will attempt to fix any damage ever again. Back-ups for everyone! UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!
Nobody's saying that. We're just not convinced that a job that takes 5.5 hours in the shop is going to be feasible in a garage at the track.

Even if it is, what do you gain over going to a backup? Yeah, a backup means you go to the back, but that just isn't the penalty it used to be. The comp caution should go away (all praise to the Racing Gods) with the return of practice, but there are still two stage breaks to bunch up the field. That's 5.5 hours for the much easier job of getting the backup ready, and maybe even getting some sleep.

With the reduced number of people a team can bring to the track, will the folks with all the necessary skills be present?

Nobody's saying that. We're just not convinced that a job that takes 5.5 hours in the shop is going to be feasible in a garage at the track.

Even if it is, what do you gain over going to a backup? Yeah, a backup means you go to the back, but that just isn't the penalty it used to be. The comp caution should go away (all praise to the Racing Gods) with the return of practice, but there are still two stage breaks to bunch up the field. That's 5.5 hours for the much easier job of getting the backup ready, and maybe even getting some sleep.

With the reduced number of people a team can bring to the track, will the folks with all the necessary skills be present?
!00%. Nobody will ever fix a car at the track again. Cause...reasons.

I don't like to question the credentials of a supposed garage insider, but this article didn't leave me feeling smarter than before. Also, this is the guy that published some statements about Next Gen design and construction that were flat wrong, and later explained that, well, Wikipedia was wrong. Geez Louise, some garage insider... :idunno:
If you're losing front grip and need to put more steering angle in it to compensate, then you lose speed because of the additional scrubbing of the tires, even if you're still wide open.

Weren't in any way prepared for it? They brought it back to their fully outfitted shop.

If you're losing front grip and need to put more steering angle in it to compensate, then you lose speed because of the additional scrubbing of the tires, even if you're still wide open.
So, just because the tires are falling off doesn't mean the car has become too difficult to flat-foot? That sounds like it was too easy to drive in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom