'21 Generation 7 Car news

Let the games begin

1647533978876.png

How can you put bars in there and not change the airflow? Now they've just cost teams $250k to find out the best bar arrangement. Make a standard design and leave it at that. Lets not forget these are the same teams that figured out the best angle to run a windshield wiper at in dry weather and were designing front clips to provide better airflow under the car.

So the games have already begun, been played, and that particular season is over?
When the Toyotas overheated at Vegas because of their obvious front screen changes, either they were reminded of the specs that were already written, or the specs weren't written for the screen and the bracing and they are now.

Has this ever been tested on a short track other than Bowman Grey? I'm interested as we're about to have 3 short track races upcoming

Can't be, I was assured by this forum that the stakes were too high for any team to be attempting any funny business with the spec parts...

Man, NASCAR really doesn't want you to mess with their new car.

Wouldn't mesh be harder to clean than a standard windshield?

Surprised they don't use something like this. I mean it work for the dirt guys for years.

DCBars.jpg

I really wondering about tires and the fender wells at Bristol.
Thin tires without much clearance plus dirt , hmmmmm.

I freaking hate the dirt race.....but I will watch. I didn't think it fit with the Cup cars last year....even less so this year with all of the sophistication.

Top lane usage.
Car is nicely sideways.
No where near the dust, yes I know its one car.
This will be a night race, too...

All steps in the right direction.
They had a week of racing already to work out the track. They know a lot more than they did about track prep.

Nah, the right direction would be to have a dirt race at a dirt track instead of ruining the spring bristol race.
This is fine as it is IMHO.

I honestly like the fact of the Bristol race on concrete and dirt. It leaves a taste and creates more expectation/hype for it. If it turns out better than last year, I think this will be more than a project/test.

It leaves a taste and creates more expectation/hype for it. If it turns out better than last year, I think this will be more than a project/test.
Well, it definitely left a taste in my mouth last year. I don't know what y'all saw last year that gives you a positive outlook on this year's version, but there's no way it can't be an improvement.

Maybe I still don't know enough about dirt racing to appreciate it. Maybe I need to reread last year's race discussion. All I remember is not being able to see what was going on within 5 laps of a restart, and feeling screwed that what used to be 500 laps was only 250, with no chance of green flag stops or pit strategy.

It was better than a pack race but I thought even the COTA deluge was a better, more entertaining race.

Last edited:
Maybe I need to reread last year's race discussion.
So I did that. It looks like I didn't dislike it as much as I remember. From the post-race discussion:

"I didn't dislike the racing itself, but I didn't see it as better than a regular Bristol race. I don't think it was worth all the format changes it required, most especially cutting the race length in half. It didn't televise very well, with poor visibility and a track maintenance delay. ... I'll watch it next year but I saw nothing to inspire me to seek out other forms of dirt racing, ..."

Nah, the right direction would be to have a dirt race at a dirt track instead of ruining the spring bristol race.

The issue here is that NASCAR has a bunch of prohibitively expensive safety measures that must be in place for a track to get a NASCAR date.

We're talking SAFER barriers, a reasonable distant to a hospital, full First Responder staff. Not to mention that the track has to be able to handle the capacity of a NASCAR weekend. Not just in spectators but also in teams & garage space.

There's only two dedicated dirt track that I can think of that can do this. Eldora & Charlotte Motor Speedway dirt track. Maybe Volusia?

Three races. Which series will be the best show. I'm going with the trucks lol
Only two races, unfortunately no Xfinity.

I had only seen a handful of dirt races (excluding Speedway) before last year's Bristol Dirt Race so I'm by no means a dirt racing expert.
I had low expectations for the Bristol Dirt race last year. A lot of drivers had never raced a stock car on dirt before and with only one practice session I expected both races to be total chaos. At the end, I thought it turned out to be great racing with much less crashes than I expected. I was most impressed with Truex and Suarez who certainly weren't considered to be favorites before the race.
Been looking forward to the 2nd running of the Bristol Dirt Race since the day after the first one.

Back
Top Bottom