24 Hours of Le Mans Centenary

I read the #93 Peugeot was almost a lap ahead when they lost all their advantage under a safety car. To me, this is completely against the spirit of endurance racing. Thanks to the slow zones it's not as bad as the Rolex 24 which is basically a series of sprints.
At the Nürburgring 24 they don't have safety cars and exclusively use slow zones. I wish they did the same at Le Mans.
I don’t think it was a lap but more like a minute ahead, they did have a healthy lead though. I’m not sure why the final safety car was necessitated, seemed like a situation that could’ve been a FCY to me.

Thankfully at least the second half of the race hasn’t had any safety cars. I hope they revisit the procedures for next year though. The previous system definitely wasn’t perfect itself but there should be a better way than this.

Epic storybook result for Ferrari. Bravo! I missed what happened to the Nascar Camaro... 28 laps behind the GT winning Corvette. What happened to #24?

Been watching off and on since yesterday evening. Seeing the Peugeot crash and take itself out of the running to win was a shame since we had a really competitive top three with three different makes for awhile. Went to bed just as Ferrari and Toyota pulled in for the stops at which I believe Ferrari overtook due to Toyota looking to replace the front of the car.

The new caution rules are an atrocity. TBH I was worried watching the last hour thinking the ACO might actually look for "debris" and seek a last safety car period for a defacto GWC finish. Hopefully they eliminate them for next year and maybe even IMSA does too. I doubt it, but it would be nice. It's bad enough on a 2 mile circuit, but on an 8 mile one they need to do something very different than waive arounds.

I didn't expect anyone would be able to beat Toyota yet. Ferrari winning this race for the first time in 58 years obviously will have people talking.
This was great for the sport and it's only gonna get better next year.

Glickenhaus still had a great race. Who would've thought both their cars would finish ahead of all the Porsches and all the Peugeots?

Been watching off and on since yesterday evening. Seeing the Peugeot crash and take itself out of the running to win was a shame since we had a really competitive top three with three different makes for awhile. Went to bed just as Ferrari and Toyota pulled in for the stops at which I believe Ferrari overtook due to Toyota looking to replace the front of the car.

The new caution rules are an atrocity. TBH I was worried watching the last hour thinking the ACO might actually look for "debris" and seek a last safety car period for a defacto GWC finish. Hopefully they eliminate them for next year and maybe even IMSA does too. I doubt it, but it would be nice. It's bad enough on a 2 mile circuit, but on an 8 mile one they need to do something very different than waive arounds.
AFAIK the safety car procedure doesn’t apply in the final hour, presumably because it’s too long and would eat up the remaining time. I wish they would apply that to the rest of the race.

Ultimately I don’t think it played a role in the results at least.

Maybe even get mainstreet TV coverage.
Some more mainstream attention would be nice but I like the setup they have with MotorTrend for this race. It’s flag-to-flag on TV with commercial interruptions and for $5 on MT+ they have a bunch of onboards, commercial-free international feed, bonus Eurosport feeds, timing & scoring channels, live track map, and a helicopter feed. Now if someone like NBC offered to put all that behind something I already have like Peacock I would be for it. But it’s a tough deal to beat.

In two short years WEC turned itself from a series not worth watching into what we saw this weekend. We got cool new cars, a better TV presentation and a real fight at the front. We've got another new entry at Monza in the Isotta Franchitti, and I believe at least one Proton 963 will debut there too. Add to that BMW and Lambo coming next year, is there any limit to how crazy this series could get?

With Ferrari winning LeMans, now would be a great time for Ford to come back.

In two short years WEC turned itself from a series not worth watching into what we saw this weekend. We got cool new cars, a better TV presentation and a real fight at the front. We've got another new entry at Monza in the Isotta Franchitti, and I believe at least one Proton 963 will debut there too. Add to that BMW and Lambo coming next year, is there any limit to how crazy this series could get?

With Ferrari winning LeMans, now would be a great time for Ford to come back.
:idunno:

Back
Top Bottom