500 RACE thread

How many did he lose because he was alone? All of a sudden we have Monday morning quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork claiming that they knew Denny could win all along. NOBODY thought a Toyota could win. Yet they did. Hot and slick, and complete teamwork. Loved it. Denny finishes his usual top 5 without help.

How many did he lose because he was alone? All of a sudden we have Monday morning quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork claiming that they knew Denny could win all along. NOBODY thought a Toyota could win. Yet they did. Hot and slick, and complete teamwork. Loved it. Denny finishes his usual top 5 without help.
Nobody knows who will win any race. Anyone with a rational thought in their mind doesn’t rule out a major team for a possible W at plate races. This includes anyone from JGR. Denny did a great job once he took the lead from Busch and nabbed the flag. Manufacturer loyalty goes out the window with under 10 to go. Run with what gives the best chance to gain spots no matter the stickers on the car.

So I take it that you were one of the "nobody's" that thought Toyota wasn't going to win or is the yet another flame of the board? Your poor little Yota spiel against the big bad wolf's is getting a bit long in tooth I must say, but I for one and I would guess many others wouldn't count out the Toyota's and I for one am not included in the nobody's B.S. just to set the record straight. And "anybody" who doesn't think attrition plays a role in a super speedway race like the one we just saw wasn't paying attention to the race last night

If there's anything manufacturer-specific that I'm surprised about from yesterday it's that Chevy held up better than I expected. Toyota winning...nah.

Maybe it's like one of those situations where ***STICK & BALL ALERT*** the Patriots tell themselves no one believes in them just to pump themselves up? :idunno:

Is that also what Bubba said when he tore up the #43 every other week last year? :blink:

Outside of the Roval, Bubba was actually decent. Its just that weekend at the Roval was not great. He had offs and such, but a lot of times he had more failures than anything. Pocono and Indy were both brake failures. Missed a shift at Pocono with a fast car.

I don't get why people are mad at Bubba for getting mad, he needs to control himself I would say. He has a tendency to pop off on social media. Reddick did dump him and did not give a ****, so I can see why Bubba was mad. Reddick just ran into Bubba with no thought of checking up. His car was fast and Daytona is a great opprotunity to bring needed attention to RPM.

Bubba isn't a road racer. He isn't the first one that isn't that good on a road course. Bubba had a lot riding on that plate race, about the only shot he had at a good finish. Reddick is dinking along with a full time ride in the Xfinity and was racing an extra car in the 500 for RCR. Bold talk from a little short fat guy :p Not quite like they said it to John Wayne but you get the idea. :D

Could’ve sworn I picked Truex in the pre race thread and Ricky Craven in pre race and during the race was talking about how good the Toyota’s were

Bubba isn't a road racer. He isn't the first one that isn't that good on a road course. Bubba had a lot riding on that plate race, about the only shot he had at a good finish. Reddick is dinking along with a full time ride in the Xfinity and was racing an extra car in the 500 for RCR. Bold talk from a little short fat guy :p Not quite like they said it to John Wayne but you get the idea. :D

Reddick is a good driver, but damn man. I guess he couldn't reach the brake pedal.:D

Outside of the Roval, Bubba was actually decent. Its just that weekend at the Roval was not great. He had offs and such, but a lot of times he had more failures than anything. Pocono and Indy were both brake failures. Missed a shift at Pocono with a fast car.

I don't get why people are mad at Bubba for getting mad, he needs to control himself I would say. He has a tendency to pop off on social media. Reddick did dump him and did not give a ****, so I can see why Bubba was mad. Reddick just ran into Bubba with no thought of checking up. His car was fast and Daytona is a great opprotunity to bring needed attention to RPM.
It's an exaggeration but it's a bit the pot calling the kettle black on Bubba's part - IMO.

It's an exaggeration but it's a bit the pot calling the kettle black on Bubba's part - IMO.

Both have been in some wrecks, both Reddick and Wallace are fast drivers. They are both erratic as all get-up with plenty of potential. Just a factor of not thinking before tweeting, it happens and at least Bubba didn't delete the tweet...lol

How long ya been asleep? Manufacturers have been at it since the 50's :idunno:

if it came out that Earnhardt had been told by Chevy's guy at the track to stay behind Jeff Gordon and push him to victory, Earnhardt fans would've found everything with a bowtie on it and burned it in the infield

seriously, what the heck does Michael McDowell owe to Joey Logano? if McDowell was in a coma in the hospital, is Logano going to visit him?

everybody knows the Rev is a big fan, but ya just can't think you are the only Toyota fan in the world and the rest of us don't know **** just because we might not be. Personally I didn't pay much attention to the pre race hype. I knew Joey and Harv showed up with fast cars, Byron drove a hell of a race for what experience he had. He was doing a great job of side drafting, blocking lanes, stuff that takes skill to do and not all of them at the 500 could do that, Elliott never got going it seemed like something was always happening, Johnson looked bad ass at the front, and it sucked the way he went down. The 500 reminds me of when we played battle ball in gym. The coach put a bunch of balls at mid court, teams on both ends and he blew the whistle and both sides ran to get them. Simple rules, couldn't go past half court. When ya got hit you were out. You could use the ball in your hand to deflect a ball coming at ya. around 15 balls in play coming from all sides. None of the drivers looked like they had a bad time to me, nobody crying real tears

if it came out that Earnhardt had been told by Chevy's guy at the track to stay behind Jeff Gordon and push him to victory, Earnhardt fans would've found everything with a bowtie on it and burned it in the infield

seriously, what the heck does Michael McDowell owe to Joey Logano? if McDowell was in a coma in the hospital, is Logano going to visit him?
You said it was like F-1, now what are you trying to say? This is a fair comparison? like that would have happened?

You said it was like F-1, now what are you trying to say? This is a fair comparison? like that would have happened?

Is part of Front Row Motorsports' relationship with buying Ford engines is they have to help Penske Racing cars win races? If someone has that contract and know that to be true, they can put a picture of the section saying this up. Normally Roger's smart enough to not put that in writing. But if anyone was party to that conversation, they can put up what they heard as well.

If not the case, again, what does Michael McDowell owe to Joey Logano?

everybody knows the Rev is a big fan, but ya just can't think you are the only Toyota fan in the world and the rest of us don't know sh!t just because we might not be. Personally I didn't pay much attention to the pre race hype. I knew Joey and Harv showed up with fast cars, Byron drove a hell of a race for what experience he had. He was doing a great job of side drafting, blocking lanes, stuff that takes skill to do and not all of them at the 500 could do that, Elliott never got going it seemed like something was always happening, Johnson looked bad ass at the front, and it sucked the way he went down. The 500 reminds me of when we played battle ball in gym. The coach put a bunch of balls at mid court, teams on both ends and he blew the whistle and both sides ran to get them. Simple rules, couldn't go past half court. When ya got hit you were out. You could use the ball in your hand to deflect a ball coming at ya. around 15 balls in play coming from all sides. None of the drivers looked like they had a bad time to me, nobody crying real tears
Is this a stick & ball analogy from @StandOnIt? I need to lie down. :D

when did we become F1? That is what ya said. Pretty ambiguous post IMO. But as you have revised the question, McDowell chose to push a Toyota instead of helping a Ford. I would assume both are getting various levels of support from their respective manufacturers, so yeah Logano was probably a bit surprised and had something to say about that. I believe Logano has said something similar to that when he was interviewed post race. There wasn't blatant "team orders" like F-1, there was line fixing by the Gibbs bunch and that has been done by teams for years every since they have started two wide and before that single wide. Ford held Mario in the pits during the 500 so their full time driver Lorenzen could get the lead back in the 60's well documented.

I think just about everybody makes WAY too much of all of this team stuff. Every has a lot of nice platitudes before the race starts, but push comes to shove, I don't think there is much that drivers care about less if you can catch them being honest. Sure, they'll help a teammate or a brand mate when it's convenient, but when the money's on the line, they're going to do what they think is the best move for themselves. If you see a teammate or a brand mate push somebody ELSE across the line for the win, you can bet your ass it's because finishing second is better than third, and if the leader bobbled one little bit, they would be ready to pounce before you could say the words. The three Gibbs cars finishing up front was 10% design and 90% coincidence.

Could’ve sworn I picked Truex in the pre race thread and Ricky Craven in pre race and during the race was talking about how good the Toyota’s were

You and Ricky.....Ricky is freaking brilliant. He saw the conditions. He knew what Toyota was working on. Great call....to the both of ya!!!! :D

I think just about everybody makes WAY too much of all of this team stuff. Every has a lot of nice platitudes before the race starts, but push comes to shove, I don't think there is much that drivers care about less if you can catch them being honest. Sure, they'll help a teammate or a brand mate when it's convenient, but when the money's on the line, they're going to do what they think is the best move for themselves. If you see a teammate or a brand mate push somebody ELSE across the line for the win, you can bet your ass it's because finishing second is better than third, and if the leader bobbled one little bit, they would be ready to pounce before you could say the words. The three Gibbs cars finishing up front was 10% design and 90% coincidence.

Three coincidence? Obviously. Two coincidence? Hell no. By design. Kyle even said so.

everybody knows the Rev is a big fan, but ya just can't think you are the only Toyota fan in the world and the rest of us don't know sh!t just because we might not be.

Not sure where the hell this is coming from...might have been chopped by mod, but you might think I feel the way you suggest because you are as biased as I am....just in a different direction. I am fine with that, but when you start to spew stuff that is BS, I will call you on it. If that makes you feel that I think you don't know ****, so be it. I have already publicly indicated that I think you have a high IQ for this sport. I enjoy your BS, but when you hold that stuff as statement of fact, I won't just sit here.

Not sure where the hell this is coming from...might have been chopped by mod, but you might think I feel the way you suggest because you are as biased as I am....just in a different direction. I am fine with that, but when you start to spew stuff that is BS, I will call you on it. If that makes you feel that I think you don't know sh!t, so be it. I have already publicly indicated that I think you have a high IQ for this sport. I enjoy your BS, but when you hold that stuff as statement of fact, I won't just sit here.

Where it is coming from is one of your previous posts I had a problem with the post and so did many others when you called us in a backhanded way a bunch of idiots. That's where it is coming from. There are a few previous posts from other posters and from myself commenting on it. One in particular that was true had Ricky Craven almost every break touting the Toyota's in the pre race and all thru the 500. So as you said NOBODY thought the Toyota's were going to win among other things you said, yeah some of us took offense to that flame because we know better. So yeah B.S. was called in this case. It isn't the first time for you, me or anybody else for that matter.

Three coincidence? Obviously. Two coincidence? Hell no. By design. Kyle even said so.
yeah, 100%. Jones came out of nowhere, the other two it was all design IMO. Most of the field gone with 9 laps, and then another wreck with like three to go and the two Gibbs cars one and two in overtime. Ain't nobody in the world going to try anything else but make sure both finish one two. If that isn't all design when they had lane choice I don't know what is. Jones boy was the wild card, I don't think anybody saw him coming, I know they never mentioned him until D.W. said where did he come from :Dhe blew by everybody on the inside. Good move by the kid.

Where it is coming from is one of your previous posts I had a problem with the post and so did many others when you called us in a backhanded way a bunch of idiots. That's where it is coming from. There are a few previous posts from other posters and from myself commenting on it. One in particular that was true had Ricky Craven almost every break touting the Toyota's in the pre race and all thru the 500. So as you said NOBODY thought the Toyota's were going to win among other things you said, yeah some of us took offense to that flame because we know better. So yeah B.S. was called in this case. It isn't the first time for you, me or anybody else for that matter.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. Folks get a bit touchy when narratives get blown up. It will pass.

So I take it that you were one of the "nobody's" that thought Toyota wasn't going to win or is the yet another flame of the board? Your poor little Yota spiel against the big bad wolf's is getting a bit long in tooth I must say, but I for one and I would guess many others wouldn't count out the Toyota's and I for one am not included in the nobody's B.S. just to set the record straight. And "anybody" who doesn't think attrition plays a role in a super speedway race like the one we just saw wasn't paying attention to the race last night

Nope. I didn't think the Toyotas had a shot in hell on driveability or speed. I was hoping for a crash fest to steal one. WE were fast. I was surprised. That's why I watch. Don't worry, I am sure something will happen to give you your leverage back for your obsessive anti-Kyle/JGR/Toyota stuff. Just not today. This will pass. Chin up.

Nope. I didn't think the Toyotas had a shot in hell on driveability or speed. I was hoping for a crash fest to steal one. WE were fast. I was surprised. That's why I watch. Don't worry, I am sure something will happen to give you your leverage back for your obsessive anti-Kyle/JGR/Toyota stuff. Just not today. This will pass. Chin up.

nah man, here is what ya said that started the ball rolling. That above was my answer to the comment you said below. This is going round and round in a circle and isn't going anywhere, go ahead and have the last comment.

nah man, here is what ya said that started the ball rolling. That above was my answer to the comment you said below. This is going round and round in a circle and isn't going anywhere, go ahead and have the last comment.

You and the "many" are reading too much into what I said, but thank you for reading. SMDH.

Try to laugh a little anyway. That's funny right there now.

Nascar Transporter wrecks.jpg

Eh,hem(Clears throat).... I'll just leave this here!!! :biggrin:
https://racing-forums.com/threads/pick-the-winner-of-every-race-2019.66667/page-2#post-1535807

In essence the 34 is right...he doesn't owe Joey anything to push him. BUT, it still would have been the right strategy for him to do it and I think that is where McDowell kind of falls short as a driver and why we seem him finishing 20-30 every week. His only shot at winning the race was to follow the 22...the 18 was never going to let the 34 win. Long shot still for the 22 and 34 but the 34 basically made sure there was no chance. As his decision stands...he still finished behind the 22 because he's half the driver and neither one finished 1-2 or even 2-3.

I remember years ago, Kenny Scrader was interviewed after a plate race. He was in a position at the end of the race to help Dale Sr., and he didn't. I can't recall which race it was, but Sr. was none to happy about another Chevy driver not helping him. And the guy doing the interview asked Schrader about Sr. not being pleased. Schrader responded, " It's not my job to make sure he wins races". End of discussion. I tried to find that clip, if someone else can, or recalls it more clearly, please chime in.

I think it's asinine for drivers in a plate race to think it's asinine for others drivers to want drafting help, a bump, whatever --

THAT is plate racing.

McDowell was up in the front of the pack -- also getting help by other drivers behind him,

BUT it's true, nobody should feel entitled to your drafting help -- just like Ford doesn't have to support McDowell and his fourth tier team...

I think it's asinine for drivers in a plate race to think it's asinine for others drivers to want drafting help, a bump, whatever --

THAT is plate racing.

McDowell was up in the front of the pack -- also getting help by other drivers behind him,

BUT it's true, nobody should feel entitled to your drafting help -- just like Ford doesn't have to support McDowell and his fourth tier team...

If Ford wants to punish McDowell, so be it. That teams fifth place money might help keep them going. I recall several racers over the years stating on the last lap of any race, it's every man for himself. That's racin'.

Back
Top Bottom