78 FRR is done

d1ae6d46953382f759225334d9552da3a5b4d2a3.gif

you haven't figured out that Lowes changed CEO's yet I don't think. Sponsored them the whole time he was CEO. The new guy not so much.;) In fact it was almost immediately after he was named CEO the announcement was made.
You’re missing the point.
How many one sponsor cars do you see on the track anymore?

you haven't figured out that Lowes changed CEO's yet I don't think. Sponsored them the whole time he was CEO. The new guy not so much.;) In fact it was almost immediately after he was named CEO the announcement was made.
Then the new guy was smart.

If you would do what I told ya to do and find all of the stock parts on that 90 car you said were stock, I might consider more B.S. If not, answer your own questions I would guess.
Is it not a stock looking body? That's what fans identify with, i could tell from a mile away Rusty was driving a Grand Pri back in 1990.

Like Harvick said, many owners are at the age, do their kids want to run a racing team? Visser is 68 but is dinged with a heart bypass
I've been saying for years that this is the single greatest threat to Nascar's long term survival. It's an even bigger threat than declining attendance or TV ratings, IMO. Over the last decade, the business model of team ownership has become become non-viable economically. Who is to say Rick Hendrick's heirs will remain as committed to Nascar competition? Who is to say they will be as skilled and savvy at making a team work? We *hope* they will, but what are the odds? It has never happened before... no Nascar team has successfully survived an owner change of generation. And of course the same questions also apply to Penske, Gibbs, Childress, Roush, et al.

I truly admire Barney Visser. Started with nothing. Mowed lawns to pay for college. Joined the army and volunteered to serve in Viet Nam. Started a retail business, and built it up into a large, successful company. Fell in love with stock car racing. Started a small backmarker team. Improved it, made it better, and won the championship. What a sustained string of accomplishments!

So I admire Barney Visser, but I also recognize that he is not a bedrock core team owner like Hendrick, Gibbs, Penske, and a small handful of others. Those guys race because they *need* to race. In comparison, Visser is a highly accomplished hobbyist.

Nascar needs to improve the ownership business model to attract new owners and keep them in the game long term. The charter system was a step, but more steps are needed.

I've been saying for years that this is the single greatest threat to Nascar's long term survival. It's an even bigger threat than declining attendance or TV ratings, IMO. Over the last decade, the business model of team ownership has become become non-viable economically. Who is to say Rick Hendrick's heirs will remain as committed to Nascar competition? Who is to say they will be as skilled and savvy at making a team work? We *hope* they will, but what are the odds? It has never happened before... no Nascar team has successfully survived an owner change of generation. And of course the same questions also apply to Penske, Gibbs, Childress, Roush, et al.

I truly admire Barney Visser. Started with nothing. Mowed lawns to pay for college. Joined the army and volunteered to serve in Viet Nam. Started a retail business, and built it up into a large, successful company. Fell in love with stock car racing. Started a small backmarker team. Improved it, made it better, and won the championship. What a sustained string of accomplishments!

So I admire Barney Visser, but I also recognize that he is not a bedrock core team owner like Hendrick, Gibbs, Penske, and a small handful of others. Those guys race because they *need* to race. In comparison, Visser is a highly accomplished hobbyist.

Nascar needs to improve the ownership business model to attract new owners and keep them in the game long term. The charter system was a step, but more steps are needed.
The ownership business model can’t sustain itself without a share of the pie from NASCAR.

eh some look at the water streaming into the bucket, and others focus on reducing the water flowing out. Got to do both for it to be effective.

If you would do what I told ya to do and find all of the stock parts on that 90 car you said were stock, I might consider more B.S. If not, answer your own questions I would guess.
. If I'm not mistaken, in that generation, I believe the hood, roof and trunk lid were still stock parts. I believe the 1986 Buick and Olds were the first Cup cars to not use factory front fenders and door skins.

I think Barney wants out because his family is done with it and taking over (due to his poor health)Think about it, the 78 will go to Gibbs sending the 19 to Leavine Family Racing in the 95 with Arris as a sponsor. Arris could sponsor FRR and keep it alive with Suarez.. think about it

So? Lowes ain't sponsoring Johnson in any event. Result is still the same.

I'm no fan of Jerry Jones, but HE built the new Cowboys stadium, not the tax payers.
yeah sure he did
New York Giants fans will cheer on their team against the Dallas Cowboys at tonight’s National Football League opener in New Jersey. At tax time, they’ll help pay for the opponents’ $1.2 billion home field in Texas.

Taxpayers, who footed a large chunk of the bill for the new $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium, got a raw deal, according to a new story in Bloomberg Businessweek.

Not the first time it's happened though. The Raymond Beadle team closed up shop after the 1990 season after winning the championship with Rusty Wallace in 1989.
The problems at Blue Max had more to do with Raymond Beadle's financial problems outside of NASCAR than anything NASCAR related. When Beadle quit paying the bills, Rusty sued to get out of his contract. The judge wouldn't allow him to leave during or after the 1989 season, but let him leave after 1990. Kodiak left for HMS, and Miller came in as the sponsor, but the way I understand it, the sponsorship ran through Rusty and HE controlled the money in 1990. Of course when he left after 1990, the sponsor went with him. Beadle announced he was going to try to keep the temp going, but by the time Daytona rolled around, he locked the doors never to return, allowing Harold Elliott to join Rusty at Penske. Had Rusty wanted to stay at Blue Max, that team could have gone on for some time.

You can't compare "stick and ball sports" revenue sharing plans with NASCAR. Why? Because whether or not the team's facility was built with private or public money the fact is that the home team gets most of the revenue from that facility because they own it. In NASCAR the team owners and the track owners are not the same entitle.

I don't know how complicated it would be to develop a revenue sharing fan that would keep both the tracks and the car owners in business. There just ain't enough money. Something must give.

. If I'm not mistaken, in that generation, I believe the hood, roof and trunk lid were still stock parts. I believe the 1986 Buick and Olds were the first Cup cars to not use factory front fenders and door skins.
yeah kinda hard to build a stock car with the hood roof and trunk lid and nothing else stock. I believe they still have to supply the hood all these years later, carbon fiber though.

NASCAR owns tracks that host half of the Cup schedule.
Understood but tracks are expensive to operate and with the decreased attendance lately they would have to raise prices to give teams more of a cut which would drive away even more fans?

yeah sure he did
New York Giants fans will cheer on their team against the Dallas Cowboys at tonight’s National Football League opener in New Jersey. At tax time, they’ll help pay for the opponents’ $1.2 billion home field in Texas.

Taxpayers, who footed a large chunk of the bill for the new $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium, got a raw deal, according to a new story in Bloomberg Businessweek.

Jones paid for VASTLY more of the stadium than pretty much any other stadium deal that has been done in recent history. Also, if Bloomberg said water was wet, I'd go run my hands under a faucet just to make sure.

Understood but tracks are expensive to operate and with the decreased attendance lately they would have to raise prices to give teams more of a cut which would drive away even more fans?
But as it stands teams aren’t getting any cut.

Back
Top Bottom