All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

I wonder what data Nascar compiled before pulling the trigger on the 2019 rules? It is vital that Nascar attracts younger fans so I wonder if they held focus groups or other research that indicated this was the way to go?

Sounds like passing will be even more difficult if track position is more massive. This package is going to have the complete opposite effect intended IMO. Also the ability to hold it WFO on tracks like Fontana where throttle off time and the time it takes to return throttle is paramount is simply a disastrous waste of talented drivers.

You guys do understand why this was a "test" right? You do understand the reason for "testing" right?

They tested approximately six to seven different Goodyear tire configurations and they ran about 10 laps before coming in.

When I asked about the lines they were running and why no one took advantage of the apron on the front straight at ACS, Suarez said they were running at about 85% and didn’t want to push the cars “too hard.”

They tested approximately six to seven different Goodyear tire configurations and they ran about 10 laps before coming in.

When I asked about the lines they were running and why no one took advantage of the apron on the front straight at ACS, Suarez said they were running at about 85% and didn’t want to push the cars “too hard.”
Didnt he say they could run WO for about 5 laps but not after that? Sounds like a good test with tires that wear and produce off throttle time which in turn lets drivers search differnt lines and entry and exit speeds.

I wonder what data Nascar compiled before pulling the trigger on the 2019 rules? It is vital that Nascar attracts younger fans so I wonder if they held focus groups or other research that indicated this was the way to go?
They just threw a dart at it. :cool:

Maybe the Chevy/s have a driver problem as much as a performance problem...

Didnt he say they could run WO for about 5 laps but not after that? Sounds like a good test with tires that wear and produce off throttle time which in turn lets drivers search differnt lines and entry and exit speeds.
yeah only two laps in traffic, pretty quick fall off.

How about the fact that this is going to add 20-30 minutes to races that are already too long? Slower lap times and probably more cautions. Not exactly what's needed in a world full of short attention spans.

How about the fact that this is going to add 20-30 minutes to races that are already too long? Slower lap times and probably more cautions. Not exactly what's needed in a world full of short attention spans.

So, about KyLar running against the wall, then predictably hitting the wall (as Kurt Busch pointed out) — do those Cautions prolong races and chase fans away?

The chevys have as much a driver problem as a performance problem...

You guys do understand why this was a "test" right? You do understand the reason for "testing" right?
Thanks for the reminder that this was a TIRE test. Ignore everything I've said about it.

The people being told “shut up and wait” have consistently been correct since the all star race.

It appears that soon those being told to “shut up and wait” will eventually “pack up and leave”.
There's going to be an all you can eat buffet of crow served up one way or another.

I have no idea, if you think they are drawing a final conclusion on the new aero package using a 3 to 4 car tire test I dont know what to tell you.

I just meant that in general they were liking what they were seeing so far.

They just threw a dart at it. :cool:

In the past Nascar had implemented changes that “the fans had been asking for” when in truth the fans hadn’t even thought of any of them. They could be throwing spaghetti against the ceiling on this one just praying something sticks this time.

You bring up some good points as even if there are the same amount of wrecks the races will last longer due to slower speeds. I doubt Nascar thought of this and they may not even be aware of the need for shorter broadcasts.

In the past Nascar had implemented changes that “the fans had been asking for” when in truth the fans hadn’t even thought of any of them. They could be throwing spaghetti against the ceiling on this one just praying something sticks this time.

I agree 100% on this. We also asked for the pit lane monitoring system, fewer guys over the wall, lug nut obsession, the almighty OSS, stage racing, a new points system, the Chase, the Championship finale, and a whole bunch of other things that improve "racing'" which is different for everybody it seems. This new package will result in what we have--but slow, which according to some is important to improve the "racin'." I sound like I am one of those who comes on a forum to **** talk the sport. I AM NOT. I am a person who loves this sport so much not even NASCAR and all of the silly changes can **** it up. I will go to races and watch until they run this into the ground.....and then I will probably sit in the stands at my favorite track (Fontana), and wait until somebody pulls their head out of their ass, and brings the sport back.

I wonder where the Chevy's were for the test?

This is a freaking good question. Honestly, stunning considering that there is no testing time and this is a new package. WTF?

The people being told “shut up and wait” have consistently been correct since the all star race.

It appears that soon those being told to “shut up and wait” will eventually “pack up and leave”.

If the “shut up and wait” card was played about every future event we would not have a lot to talk about. We couldn’t talk about JJ and his new CC or Kurt in the 1 car or any number of other things. IMO the card is played to shut off debate.

reason # 1895 for Nascar declining attendance.

Example? Link? Proof?

Correct about what? Nobody in NASCAR has told fans to "shut up and wait".

You bring up some good points as even if there are the same amount of wrecks the races will last longer due to slower speeds. I doubt Nascar thought of this and they may not even be aware of the need for shorter broadcasts.
At this point, I don't think NASCAR could get spaghetti to stick if they threw it at the floor.

Nascar is handy for spaghetti or pie throwing or a sounding board for many frustrated people. Nascar should start a Dr. Phil award in conjunction with RF for the bleeding hearts.

I'm not saying NASCAR decision makers are the most developed mammals on earth --

BUT, they did go through a process that included running a similar formula in the All-Star Race.

So "throwing spaghetti" -- while humorous may not be giving enough credit to a post-Brian France NASCAR that is moving on -- whether forward, backward, sideways, whatever...

Have the majority of changes Nascar has made in the past 15 years been well researched, well received and grown the series?

That doesn't make any sense. About the same as saying has the Gov't in the last 15 years, blah blah blah, or have the decisions anybody has made in the last 15 years and the 20 20 hindsight rig of a marole is pretty laughable also. It's a different world if you haven't noticed. Racing isn't exempt.

I'm not saying NASCAR decision makers are the most developed mammals on earth --

BUT, they did go through a process that included running a similar formula in the All-Star Race.

So "throwing spaghetti" -- while humorous may not be giving enough credit to a post-Brian France NASCAR that is moving on -- whether forward, backward, sideways, whatever...

eh, anybody that follows the history of auto racing very closely for a long time knows of the ups and downs that occur. Many series have folded, many have merged. Some of us realize that changes in safety, track and car design the various series do yearly are a common occurrence. But in every series there are fans that think almost every change is the end of the world. I think on the subject of Nascar's Brian France or a really terrible ride buying driver, most of us agree.:D

At this point, I don't think NASCAR could get spaghetti to stick if they threw it at the floor.

I don’t think Nascar realizes they need to boil the spaghetti in order to get some to stick. They toss it straight out of the box!

It is possible Nascar is moving in the right direction post Brian France. We will certainly have a better idea this time next year.

Back
Top Bottom