All-Star Race package for the Brickyard

I think SOME form of that package could be beneficial, especially there, but I don't like to see the cars as dependent on a push from other cars to make passes. I don't think not having to lift at all in the corners is the right way to go, and I would like to see honest reductions in horsepower without using the plate, or at least as small of one. The cars have to be able to accelerate, and lifting a little shouldn't mean you lose 15 spots. Ideally, if you just make ALL of the cars drive like they were in dirty air all the time (don't know how you do that) we would be just fine.

The package was designed and tested to race at Indy, not Charlotte. Keep it at the brickyard.

The package should be used in the ASR, at IMS, Chicagoland, and Kentucky.

This would be a good step considering any attempt at racing in last year's brickyard race resulted in a multi car wreck.

Whether any more people show up at the track or not, I think we all deserve a better product than what we have been getting there.

Is it true if you sit on the front stretch, that's the only time you'll see the cars come by? I've never been there, the place is on my bucket list. When I went to Daytona in 15 and 17 that was my worst fear but you sit high enough, you're actually okay. I hate that this race is on life support, being from the midwest Indy is such a special place. When I was a kid, watching the Brickyard 400 felt like a big deal but like Spotter said once the newness wore off no one came back. Sad really, I hope things align where I can go this year or next, not sure if this race will be on the schedule in 10 years listening to some of you talk.

Is it true if you sit on the front stretch, that's the only time you'll see the cars come by? I've never been there, the place is on my bucket list. When I went to Daytona in 15 and 17 that was my worst fear but you sit high enough, you're actually okay. I hate that this race is on life support, being from the midwest Indy is such a special place. When I was a kid, watching the Brickyard 400 felt like a big deal but like Spotter said once the newness wore off no one came back. Sad really, I hope things align where I can go this year or next, not sure if this race will be on the schedule in 10 years listening to some of you talk.
It's true. Regardless of where you sit, you can see only the part of the straightaway that's in front of you. The infield is chock full of structures to block your view of everything else. Because all of the straightaways are truly straight, you can't see to either side because the other fans are obscuring your view (and you're blocking theirs). The short chutes aren't quite as bad. Because they're shorter, you can see the cars entering turns 1 or 3, lose them in the crowd, see them pass in front of you, lose them again, and see them exit 2 or 4. Best views are in the corners but even those aren't anything to write home about. Don't get me started on those seats on the inside of the track facing out across it.

I've attended two races there (1 IROC, 1 Brickyard). If they hadn't been on the same weekend, I wouldn't have gone back a second time. Leave that list in your bucket and drop in a couple of matches.

It really isn't on life support, the TV numbers are keeping it alive and well, the Indy area market is racing country and the diehards watch. But it sure will be a damn sight better race with that package, the Xfinity race there last year was a night and day difference.

Actually, have found a spot that offers a view of 2/3 of the track all the time and most of the track most of the time. The infield structures are the only inhibiting factor. I sit half way up just past the exit to turn 4.

We have always sat just south of the flag stand and we can see the cars at the very end of turn four and see them go down into turn one. I'd say we see 40% of the track. A seat high in turns one or four would expand that some. We also get to see pit road and all of the pre and post race activities. There are jumbotrons that HELP you see what is going on elsewhere, but they are not what they should be, either in size, quantity or quality. The race attendance was still pretty darn good, in NASCARS top four or so until the 2008 tire fiasco, and I think that along with the sour economy at the time and THEN the general disinterest in NASCAR took it's toll. Yes, it's the worst place this side of a road course to see a race, but if NASCAR was still as popular as it was in say 2005, I'll wager there would STILL be 125,000 in the stands. The problem is that place makes 125,000 look deserted. I am just a fan of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and all that it represents, and I'm happy to be there even when there isn't a race going on, so I plan to continue to go, as I have always done, at least as long as there is a race there.

I Spotted from the Pagoda and I couldnt see the whole track lol :D
Isn't that the cutoff race for Chase eligibility? I dunno if I'd want to putz around with a new package with that on the line.
It is but hey, they put the Roval in so all's fair I guess.

... It is but hey, they put the Roval in so all's fair I guess.
Yeah, but teams knew the Roval was coming before the season started, and they'll likely use the same road course configurations they're already familiar with.

If I were an owner, I'd be asking for this to be held off until my guys had an off-season to play with it. Just me.

Yeah, but teams knew the Roval was coming before the season started, and they'll likely use the same road course configurations they're already familiar with.

If I were an owner, I'd be asking for this to be held off until my guys had an off-season to play with it. Just me.
Well to be honest I dont want them to know what to expect, thats why they make the big bucks.

They really haven't done crap to the cars, added a bigger spoiler and some vents. The roval? break out the road course cars, nothing new there.

Judging by the crowds at the recent short track races, I'd say it's already got PLENTY of seating. I'm pretty sure the last Martinsville crowd would fit at IRP, you MIGHT have to use the lawn chair section in turn one.

Judging by the crowds at the recent short track races, I'd say it's already got PLENTY of seating. I'm pretty sure the last Martinsville crowd would fit at IRP, you MIGHT have to use the lawn chair section in turn one.
Yeah? What was the crowd at the last Cup race at IRP?

IRP only seats 30,000. Martinsville had more then that for a 39 degree race

They mercifully kept the cameras off of the stands, no use feeding the trolls
Still, Ive been to Martinsville and IRP and on a normal weather day, no way in hell IRP could hold it. PLUS a race at IRP would be a huge draw simply for the uniqueness of it and we need a short track in the Mid West

personally for what little it is worth, I would look at it as a failure if they went down to that small a track with cup cars. So far as it is, all this post says is the track saying it would be ok (like they care as long as the money is paid Nascar could race elephants). I think it is time to do something and quick to try to eliminate the no passing single car parade that happens on that narrow over grown flat track.

That track is dumb. Seriously nothing worse on iRacing than coming here, it’s just a block fest and with its size the cars get incredibly strung out. Last year was ridiculous with the amount of wrecks because you had to go for it on restarts or else

personally for what little it is worth, I would look at it as a failure if they went down to that small a track with cup cars. So far as it is, all this post says is the track saying it would be ok (like they care as long as the money is paid Nascar could race elephants). I think it is time to do something and quick to try to eliminate the no passing single car parade that happens on that narrow over grown flat track.
I would love to see them race at IRP, the Trucks and the Xfinity Car races were great and the Cup cars would be the same. Track size be damn. Thats just me.

That track is dumb. Seriously nothing worse on iRacing than coming here, it’s just a block fest and with its size the cars get incredibly strung out. Last year was ridiculous with the amount of wrecks because you had to go for it on restarts or else
no doubt the track acts like it is the holy grail, resists any suggestions to widening, probably to suggest track bite in the corners would blow their dresses up, but on the other hand, it has been a snoozer for years and Nascar pays engineers good money to figure something out, so either find a solution or fire their asses and get some better ones if they can't figure out how to get a good race out of the place.

But muh historical significance.

Watch they turn Indy into a roval.
The pavement is already there. If IMSA can run on it, Cup should be able to. There's the question of whether it will be worth watching, but I'd like to see it tried.

Back
Top Bottom